BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
NancyL

Misinformation about visas on Thai Gov't Websites

There is a thread running in the Chiang Mai forum where a poster is insisting that it's possible to obtain an O-A visa from within Thailand, because it clearly states you can submit an application for an O-A visa at the Gov't Center at Chaengwattana on a Thai government website:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-%28Long-Stay%29.html

Specifically, section 3 of the page about O-A visa applications:

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

Don't you just love it? He's not listening to reason, asking who should he believe, anonymous people on the internet or an official Thai gov't website. So, what other laughable examples of bad visa advice can we find on "official" Thai government websites?

Edited by NancyL

There are to many to list.

Plus I could add some wrong verbal advise given by a embassy or a official consulate,

• Like 1

Nancy

If he he prefers the MFA info then he must follow the advise and make application.

Although why anyone would want to is puzzling.

Nancy

If he he prefers the MFA info then he must follow the advise and make application.

Although why anyone would want to is puzzling.

I recall that it was you who posted that link as a reference in the thread the OP mentions.

• Haha 1

Plus I could add some wrong verbal advise given by a embassy or a official consulate,

The same site has a Thai version, which i assume would be correct since it is their mother tongue, but as i can't read Thai I can't navigate to the subject on the Thai site.

Maybe someone else can post the link to the subject in Thai.

NancyL

Posted Today, 11:47

Don't you just love it? He's not listening to reason, asking who should he believe, anonymous people on the internet or an official Thai gov't website. So, what other laughable examples of bad visa advice can we find on "official" Thai government websites?

And I stand by that untll proof is delivered . Saying there are too many to list, isn't considered proof.

The same site has a Thai version, which i assume would be correct since it is their mother tongue, but as i can't read Thai I can't navigate to the subject on the Thai site.

Maybe someone else can post the link to the subject in Thai.

NancyL

Posted Today, 11:47

And I stand by that untll proof is delivered . Saying there are too many to list, isn't considered proof.

Here is the Thai version. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1287/19769-%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8-50-%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B6%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%9B-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%82.html

It appears to say the same thing.

Just had my wife read it and the bit about applying in Thailand not there!

Running the page though Google translate seems to confirm what my wife states.

Here's the Google Translate part about where to file:

Two . Locations petition
Aliens wishing to obtain a visa . Code Non-Immigrant Visa "OA" (Long Stay) can file a complaint with the embassy or consulate of Thailand in a country where the alien nationality or country of residence only.
I didn't "clean up" Google translates choice of words, but I think the meaning does come thru, doesn't it?
Here's the relevant section in Thai for those who read the language:
2. สถานที่ยื่นคำร้อง
คนต่างด้าวที่ประสงค์จะขอรับการตรวจลงตรา Non-Immigrant Visa รหัส “O-A” (Long Stay) สามารถยื่นคำร้องได้ที่สถานเอกอัครราชทูตหรือสถานกงสุลใหญ่ของไทยในประเทศที่คนต่างด้าวมีสัญชาติหรือในประเทศที่มีถิ่นพำนักเท่านั้น
And since there are no Thai Embassies or Consulates in Thailand, then you can't apply for a O-A visa in Thailand!
P.S. -- haven't there been some problems, too, where people are living/working in a foreign country, different from their country of citizenship and the Thai Embassy closest to where they live has told them they can't apply for an O-A visa locally -- that they have to return to their country of citizenship in order to apply for an O-A visa? Sorry, my mind is wandering. It's Songkran and not much to do.
Edited by NancyL

Sorry I was looking at the wrong part of the page.

Three is missing from the Thai version. It goes from two to four.

Aliens wishing to obtain a visa . Code Non-Immigrant Visa "OA" (Long Stay) can file a complaint with the embassy or consulate of Thailand in a country where the alien nationality or country of residence only.

"File a complaint" ???

They need to get better translators.

• Haha 1

ยื่นคำร้องได้ could be translated as "file a complaint" or "present an application" or "submit a petition" There is an element of someone handing over a document for official consideration in the specific Thai words selected. Actually Google translate is getting much better as time goes on. For a "quick and rough" translation it can be pretty good at times.

Edited by NancyL

In reading the Thai version I can find where it is clearly stated that O-A must be applied for in the applicants country of residence, but not anything about Immigration in CW issuing O-A visas. As mentioned above, Immigration has no Consulates.

I think the two are entirely different original pages. Not a translation from Thai to English.

There are more differences between the the two other than just translation.

I got a Non immigrant O- retirement issued at Pattaya immigration on 12 December 2008

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718266-retirement-visa-extension-cost-increase/?p=7689292

Discussion is about a OA visa which you certainly cannot get here.

You did a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry. You did not get a real non-o visa.