Misinformation about visas on Thai Gov't Websites

There is a thread running in the Chiang Mai forum where a poster is insisting that it's possible to obtain an O-A visa from within Thailand, because it clearly states you can submit an application for an O-A visa at the Gov't Center at Chaengwattana on a Thai government website:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-%28Long-Stay%29.html

Specifically, section 3 of the page about O-A visa applications:

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

Don't you just love it? He's not listening to reason, asking who should he believe, anonymous people on the internet or an official Thai gov't website. So, what other laughable examples of bad visa advice can we find on "official" Thai government websites?

Edited by NancyL

There are to many to list.

Plus I could add some wrong verbal advise given by a embassy or a official consulate,

The same site has a Thai version, which i assume would be correct since it is their mother tongue, but as i can't read Thai I can't navigate to the subject on the Thai site.

Maybe someone else can post the link to the subject in Thai.

NancyL

Posted Today, 11:47

Don't you just love it? He's not listening to reason, asking who should he believe, anonymous people on the internet or an official Thai gov't website. So, what other laughable examples of bad visa advice can we find on "official" Thai government websites?

And I stand by that untll proof is delivered . Saying there are too many to list, isn't considered proof.

There are to many to list.

Plus I could add some wrong verbal advise given by a embassy or a official consulate,

The same site has a Thai version, which i assume would be correct since it is their mother tongue, but as i can't read Thai I can't navigate to the subject on the Thai site.

Maybe someone else can post the link to the subject in Thai.

NancyL

Posted Today, 11:47

And I stand by that untll proof is delivered . Saying there are too many to list, isn't considered proof.

Here is the Thai version. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1287/19769-%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8-50-%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B6%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%9B-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%82.html

It appears to say the same thing.

Here's the Google Translate part about where to file:

Two . Locations petition
Aliens wishing to obtain a visa . Code Non-Immigrant Visa "OA" (Long Stay) can file a complaint with the embassy or consulate of Thailand in a country where the alien nationality or country of residence only.
I didn't "clean up" Google translates choice of words, but I think the meaning does come thru, doesn't it?
Here's the relevant section in Thai for those who read the language:
2. สถานที่ยื่นคำร้อง
คนต่างด้าวที่ประสงค์จะขอรับการตรวจลงตรา Non-Immigrant Visa รหัส “O-A” (Long Stay) สามารถยื่นคำร้องได้ที่สถานเอกอัครราชทูตหรือสถานกงสุลใหญ่ของไทยในประเทศที่คนต่างด้าวมีสัญชาติหรือในประเทศที่มีถิ่นพำนักเท่านั้น
And since there are no Thai Embassies or Consulates in Thailand, then you can't apply for a O-A visa in Thailand!
P.S. -- haven't there been some problems, too, where people are living/working in a foreign country, different from their country of citizenship and the Thai Embassy closest to where they live has told them they can't apply for an O-A visa locally -- that they have to return to their country of citizenship in order to apply for an O-A visa? Sorry, my mind is wandering. It's Songkran and not much to do.
Edited by NancyL

Aliens wishing to obtain a visa . Code Non-Immigrant Visa "OA" (Long Stay) can file a complaint with the embassy or consulate of Thailand in a country where the alien nationality or country of residence only.

"File a complaint" ???

They need to get better translators.

• Haha 1

ยื่นคำร้องได้ could be translated as "file a complaint" or "present an application" or "submit a petition" There is an element of someone handing over a document for official consideration in the specific Thai words selected. Actually Google translate is getting much better as time goes on. For a "quick and rough" translation it can be pretty good at times.

Edited by NancyL

In reading the Thai version I can find where it is clearly stated that O-A must be applied for in the applicants country of residence, but not anything about Immigration in CW issuing O-A visas. As mentioned above, Immigration has no Consulates.

I got a Non immigrant O- retirement issued at Pattaya immigration on 12 December 2008

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718266-retirement-visa-extension-cost-increase/?p=7689292

Discussion is about a OA visa which you certainly cannot get here.

You did a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry. You did not get a real non-o visa.

I got a Non immigrant O- retirement issued at Pattaya immigration on 12 December 2008

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718266-retirement-visa-extension-cost-increase/?p=7689292

You did a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry. You did not get a real non-o visa.

On the Visa it says clearly " O " and in the right hand top corner retirement.

You didn't get an O-A visa because that's not possible to get in Thailand. The conversion to O that you got is not actually a retirement visa either. With that, you then got an annual extension based on retirement. You've never had a retirement visa.

The O-A visa "Long Stay" (one year stay) obtained in home countries is a very specific thing, different than conversions in Thailand, and different than retirement extensions,.

You didn't get an O-A visa because that's not possible to get in Thailand. The conversion to O that you got is not actually a retirement visa either. With that, you then got an annual extension based on retirement. You've never had a retirement visa.

The O-A visa "Long Stay" (one year stay) obtained in home countries is a very specific thing, different than conversions in Thailand, and different than retirement extensions,.

On 12 December 2008 I got a visa Non "O" retirement valid until 11 March 2009. On 11 March 2009 I got a 1 year Extension of stay .

On 12 December 2008 I got a visa Non "O" retirement valid until 11 March 2009. On 11 March 2009 I got a 1 year Extension of stay .

The reason you got the conversion to O (90 day stay only) was retirement as you had shown qualification for a retirement EXTENSION to get that and you later applied for an annual extension based on retirement (I'm psychic). Again, I believe what you say is in your passport. Not unusual in the slightest. People are advised to do what you do all the time. BUT -- you don't have an O-A visa though, nor did you ever have a retirement visa. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

The reason you got the conversion to O (90 day stay only) was retirement as you had shown qualification for a retirement EXTENSION to get that and you later applied for an annual extension based on retirement (I'm psychic). Again, I believe what you say is in your passport. Not unusual in the slightest. People are advised to do what you do all the time. BUT -- you don't have an O-A visa though, nor did you ever have a retirement visa. Cheers.

I didn't have a O-A visa, but I had a 90 day retirement visa from 12 December 2008 - 11 March 2009, since 11 March 2009 I have a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

The pictures of my passport are in the link posted above.

Edited by JesseFrank

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I didn't have a O-A visa, but I had a 90 day retirement visa from 12 December 2008 - 11 March 2009, since 11 March 2009 I have a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

Suspect many (most) here have never seen one of these 90 day retirement "visas" .

Would you be kind enough to scan and post an image of this visa ?

Edited by thepool

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Suspect many (most) here have never seen one of these 90 day retirement "visas" .

This method is common actually. Sometimes referred to as the "two step" process. Enter Thailand with 30 day stamp or tourist visa, CONVERT to a 90 day O visa at at a Thai immigration office that supports such applications and then with that apply for the annual extension based on retirement. Not all offices support to conversion option. You can't get the conversion unless you can show evidence you'll be qualified for the extension. Nowhere in Thailand is an O-A visa available.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

http://www.thaivisa....ease/?p=7689292

JesseFrank, you just can't obtain a O-A visa in Thailand and I didn't really appreciate you calling me a liar on the Chiang Mai forum. Next thing you know they'll be saying the president of the Chiang Mai Expats Club is giving out incorrect "free" visa advise. (Oh and someone will ask to see my work permit.) So, please back down.

I'm just a grey-hair old lady who wants to make Chiang Mai a better place to live, both for expats and everyone else. Now can everyone just accept the fact that there are several ways to obtain a 12-month permission to stay on the basis of retirement?

Well said Nancy !

He could also back up the claim to have a 3 month "retirement visa" in his passport. Easy to do just scan and post. Many of us would be interested in seeing this unique "visa "

As said you received a conversion to a single non immigrant O visa entry using the retirement financial qualification in December for a 90 day entry and then extended that 90 day entry for one year by getting an extension of stay - two sets of proof and fees of 2,000 baht plus 1,900 baht.

You did not obtain a long stay visa (non immigrant O-A) which is issued by an Embassy Consulate section on basis of showing financial proof, police clearance and medical clearance paperwork and normal visa fee; which allows a one year stay on entry into Thailand.

JesseFrank, you just can't obtain a O-A visa in Thailand and I didn't really appreciate you calling me a liar on the Chiang Mai forum. Next thing you know they'll be saying the president of the Chiang Mai Expats Club is giving out incorrect "free" visa advise. (Oh and someone will ask to see my work permit.) So, please back down.

I'm just a grey-hair old lady who wants to make Chiang Mai a better place to live, both for expats and everyone else. Now can everyone just accept the fact that there are several ways to obtain a 12-month permission to stay on the basis of retirement?

If there is one that has to back down, I think it is you. Where did i call you a liar ? Below is my comment in the Chiangmai forum. My eyes are not that good anymore, but i fail to see the word or a synonym of liar

So who would you think would know best, the " experts " on an internet forum or the Thai government ?

My money is on the Thai government.

By the way the question of the OP of that thread was

what is the cost for a 1 year retirement visa extension renewal

And what he is looking for is not an O-A visa either, as that was something another poster brought into the thread and which is wrongfully announced on the Thai immigration site as being available in Bangkok, but an extension of stay.

But a 90 day Non O retirement visa is available in Thailand, as shown in the picture I posted.

JesseFrank appears to be insisting that we agree with his interpretation that the 90 day O visa he got in his passport IN THAILAND as the first step before the extension application should be correctly labeled a RETIREMENT VISA. He has acknowledged now it is not an O-A visa. I don't agree with him that the conversion O is a retirement visa but I think I understand why he THINKS that it is.

Edited by Jingthing

Well said Nancy !

He could also back up the claim to have a 3 month "retirement visa" in his passport. Easy to do just scan and post. Many of us would be interested in seeing this unique "visa "

I have scanned and posted the link twice already, get a life