Misinformation about visas on Thai Gov't Websites

Actually I see he has already scanned and posted the 3 month "retirement " visa which is in fact a bog standard "o" visa conversion which has then been followed by a standard extension based on retirement .

How easy it is for those who know not what they have to create confusion !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have scanned and posted the link twice already, get a life

You have indeed. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Many people use the conversion to O in Thailand as part of the two step process towards a retirement extension. thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Indeed many people do just that but they do not receive 3 month retirement visas !

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You have indeed. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Many people use the conversion to O in Thailand as part of the two step process towards a retirement extension. thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

Indeed many people do just that but they do not receive 3 month retirement visas !

Does the Non O visa clearly carry a stamp retirement or not ?

In 2012 I renewed my passport, and since i have been since March 2009 on extension based on retirement, the stamps were transferred to my new passport. And again the first stamp says Non "O" retirement 12/12/208 and the 4 following stamps say extension based on retirement.

You have indeed. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Many people use the conversion to O in Thailand as part of the two step process towards a retirement extension. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

In 2012 I renewed my passport, and since i have been since March 2009 on extension based on retirement, the stamps were transferred to my new passport. And again the first stamp says Non "O" retirement 12/12/208 and the 4 following stamps say extension based on retirement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718266-retirement-visa-extension-cost-increase/page-2#entry7689292

The "o" visa is on the right -----------where is the "retirement" stamp ? so no there is NO retirement stamp on the visa !

On the left is an ordinary (not a visa) extension of stay marked "retirement" as being the the reason for the extension.

Maybe my eyes are aging !

Interesting to note that Pattaya immigration appear to have done the conversion +extension in one step.

Edited by thepool

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/718266-retirement-visa-extension-cost-increase/page-2#entry7689292

The "o" visa is on the right -----------where is the "retirement" stamp ? so no there is NO retirement stamp on the visa !

On the left is an ordinary (not a visa) extension of stay marked "retirement" as being the the reason for the extension.

Maybe my eyes are aging !

On the left page is a stamp that has the dates 12 December and 11 march in it and has Non "O" in handwriting and the retirement stamp next to the handwriting.

Below is a stamp of an extension of stay with retirement stamped on it again.

And no they didn't do the extension and conversion in one step. Conversion was on 12 December and extension on 11 March

Edited by JesseFrank

Again, I understand why you think you've got a retirement visa but I don't agree that's actually what it is.

Let me ask you a question I think you implied there but I want to confirm.

When you got a new passport and they transferred the original 90 day O visa stamp did they put the word RETIREMENT next to the transferred visa or not?

Again, I understand why you think you've got a retirement visa but I don't agree that's actually what it is.

When you got a new passport and they transferred the original 90 day O visa stamp did they put the word RETIREMENT next to the transferred visa or not?

I'm sure this answers your question.

post-197648-0-92184000-1397488476_thumb.

attachicon.gifvisa.jpeg

Great. I think I see the retirement word associated with the new passport O visa.

Now I will get nerdy.

I started with a single entry O visa obtained in the USA and then started in retirement extension system in Thailand.

I haven't changed my passport yet.

My theory is that if I did at the same office same time as you they would write RETIREMENT on my transferred visa as well.

Because it was used as a precursor to a retirement EXTENSION application.

But, it never was a retirement visa, I'm sure about that.

I still don't believe yours was either.

I'll try to report what happens when I get to that point.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

The thing about a conversion O visa done in Thailand is that it is no go unless you can prove you're going to be qualified for the retirement extension application. It never stands alone as a long term visa.

Edited by Jingthing

Here's the Google Translate part about where to file:

Two . Locations petition
Aliens wishing to obtain a visa . Code Non-Immigrant Visa "OA" (Long Stay) can file a complaint with the embassy or consulate of Thailand in a country where the alien nationality or country of residence only.
I didn't "clean up" Google translates choice of words, but I think the meaning does come thru, doesn't it?
Here's the relevant section in Thai for those who read the language:
2. สถานที่ยื่นคำร้อง
คนต่างด้าวที่ประสงค์จะขอรับการตรวจลงตรา Non-Immigrant Visa รหัส “O-A” (Long Stay) สามารถยื่นคำร้องได้ที่สถานเอกอัครราชทูตหรือสถานกงสุลใหญ่ของไทยในประเทศที่คนต่างด้าวมีสัญชาติหรือในประเทศที่มีถิ่นพำนักเท่านั้น
And since there are no Thai Embassies or Consulates in Thailand, then you can't apply for a O-A visa in Thailand!
P.S. -- haven't there been some problems, too, where people are living/working in a foreign country, different from their country of citizenship and the Thai Embassy closest to where they live has told them they can't apply for an O-A visa locally -- that they have to return to their country of citizenship in order to apply for an O-A visa? Sorry, my mind is wandering. It's Songkran and not much to do.

"P.S. -- haven't there been some problems, too, where people are living/working in a foreign country, different from their country of citizenship and the Thai Embassy closest to where they live has told them they can't apply for an O-A visa locally -- that they have to return to their country of citizenship in order to apply for an O-A visa? "

Can't say if there have been "some" problems, but I am an American and got my O-A at the consulate in Dubai and could have got it from the embassy in Abu Dhabi when I was living in the UAE. Also, while living in Pakistan I went to get a tourist visa from the Thai embassy in Islamabad and the person I dealt with noticed my age and volunteered the information that I could also apply there for the O-A when I was ready to retire,

So certainly it is possible to apply for an O-A in a country other than your home country, although there may indeed be embassies in other countries where they would tell you to go to your home country to apply.

JesseFrank, you just can't obtain a O-A visa in Thailand and I didn't really appreciate you calling me a liar on the Chiang Mai forum. Next thing you know they'll be saying the president of the Chiang Mai Expats Club is giving out incorrect "free" visa advise. (Oh and someone will ask to see my work permit.) So, please back down.

I'm just a grey-hair old lady who wants to make Chiang Mai a better place to live, both for expats and everyone else. Now can everyone just accept the fact that there are several ways to obtain a 12-month permission to stay on the basis of retirement?

If there is one that has to back down, I think it is you. Where did i call you a liar ? Below is my comment in the Chiangmai forum. My eyes are not that good anymore, but i fail to see the word or a synonym of liar

So who would you think would know best, the " experts " on an internet forum or the Thai government ?

My money is on the Thai government.

By the way the question of the OP of that thread was

what is the cost for a 1 year retirement visa extension renewal

And what he is looking for is not an O-A visa either, as that was something another poster brought into the thread and which is wrongfully announced on the Thai immigration site as being available in Bangkok, but an extension of stay.

But a 90 day Non O retirement visa is available in Thailand, as shown in the picture I posted.

Jessie, I have the same visa as you from the same company. Believe me, you are muddled and its understandable because all this is so muddling. The others are correct. Just relax. The Thai govt website is wrong and I know because I went there to ask before I went through the visa agent

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

JesseFrank, you just can't obtain a O-A visa in Thailand and I didn't really appreciate you calling me a liar on the Chiang Mai forum. Next thing you know they'll be saying the president of the Chiang Mai Expats Club is giving out incorrect "free" visa advise. (Oh and someone will ask to see my work permit.) So, please back down.

I'm just a grey-hair old lady who wants to make Chiang Mai a better place to live, both for expats and everyone else. Now can everyone just accept the fact that there are several ways to obtain a 12-month permission to stay on the basis of retirement?

If there is one that has to back down, I think it is you. Where did i call you a liar ? Below is my comment in the Chiangmai forum. My eyes are not that good anymore, but i fail to see the word or a synonym of liar

So who would you think would know best, the " experts " on an internet forum or the Thai government ?

My money is on the Thai government.

By the way the question of the OP of that thread was

what is the cost for a 1 year retirement visa extension renewal

And what he is looking for is not an O-A visa either, as that was something another poster brought into the thread and which is wrongfully announced on the Thai immigration site as being available in Bangkok, but an extension of stay.

But a 90 day Non O retirement visa is available in Thailand, as shown in the picture I posted.

Jessie, I have the same visa as you from the same company. Believe me, you are muddled and its understandable because all this is so muddling. The others are correct. Just relax. The Thai govt website is wrong and I know because I went there to ask before I went through the visa agent

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I know by now that the English version of the government website is wrong, but I've never used a visa agent pr whatever company to get my visa.

attachicon.gifvisa.jpeg

Great. I think I see the retirement word associated with the new passport O visa.

Jingthing, I'm afraid you are adding to the confusion by referring a reference to permission-to-stay stamp in JesseFrank's passport as an O visa.

Let us review JesseFrank's path to his retirement extension calmly and in chronological order, using the official names, hereafter in this post post given in blue.

Conclusion:

At no point in the process did JesseFrank get a "retirement visa". Two stamps placed in his passport by the Pattaya imigration office have the annotation RETIREMENT, ie the permission to stay based on the non-O visa issued by the Pattaya office and the retirement extension, but neither of these two stamps is a "retirement visa"

• Like 2

attachicon.gifvisa.jpeg

Jingthing, I'm afraid you are adding to the confusion by referring a reference to permission-to-stay stamp in JesseFrank's passport as an O visa.

Let us review JesseFrank's path to his retirement extension calmly and in chronological order, using the official names, hereafter in this post post given in blue.

Conclusion:

At no point in the process did JesseFrank get a "retirement visa". Two stamps placed in his passport by the Pattaya imigration office have the annotation RETIREMENT, ie the permission to stay based on the non-O visa issued by the Pattaya office and the retirement extension, but neither of these two stamps is a "retirement visa"

It has been more than 5 year since all this happened, so my memory might have some holes, but I doubt that I received the extension of stay on the same day (e.g 12 December) as the Non "O" retirement. I'm almost sure that I received the extension of stay on 11 March 2009, based on my Non "O" visa I had received on 12 December 2008 and which expired on 11 March 2009.

We can discuss this in to the almighty but that not gonna happen, but I'm pretty sure that I held a visa Non "O" retirement between 12 DEC 2008 and 11 March 2009, and was then granted a 1 year extension of stay which has been renewed ever since.

Voici la partie Google Translate pour savoir où déposer:

Deux. Lieux pétition
Les étrangers désireux d'obtenir un visa. Le code de non-immigrant Visa «OA» (long séjour) peut déposer une plainte auprès de l'ambassade ou du consulat de Thaïlande dans un pays où la nationalité étrangère ou pays de résidence seulement.
Je n'ai pas «nettoyer» Google traduit le choix des mots, mais je pense que le sens ne vient à travers, n'est-ce pas?
Voici la partie pertinente en thaï pour ceux qui lisent la langue:
2. สถาน ที่ ยื่น คำร้อง
คนต่างด้าวที่ประสงค์จะขอรับการตรวจลงตรา Non-Immigrant Visa รหัส «OA» (long séjour) สามารถยื่นคำร้องได้ที่สถานเอกอัครราชทูตหรือสถานกงสุลใหญ่ของไทยในประเทศที่คนต่างด้าวมีสัญชาติหรือในประเทศที่มีถิ่นพำนักเท่านั้น
Et comme il n'y a pas ambassades ou les consulats thaïlandais en Thaïlande, alors vous ne pouvez pas demander un visa OA en Thaïlande!
PS - n'ont pas été là quelques problèmes, aussi, où les gens vivent / travaillent dans un pays étranger, différent de leur pays de citoyenneté et l'ambassade de Thaïlande la plus proche de l'endroit où ils vivent leur a dit qu'ils ne peuvent pas demander une OA visa sur place - qu'ils doivent retourner dans leur pays de citoyenneté afin de demander un visa OA? Désolé, mon esprit vagabonde. C'est Songkran et pas grand chose à faire.

I have obtained OA visa immigration Pang-Nga

I have obtained OA visa immigration Pang-Nga

No you haven't. O-A visas can't be issued anywhere in Thailand.

He is mistakenly calling an extension of stay based upon retirement a OA visa like many do.

This is part of the reason for the confusion that often occurs here when people ask about getting an extension of stay and call it a OA or non-o visa.

There also remains on certain Thai Govt websites (although, admittedly, not the Immigration Bureau one) duff info about 90-day reporting procedures. For example the Shanghai Consulate website still contains inaccurate advice to the effect that foreigners may report their address to a police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area (point 5.2 athttp://www.thaishanghai.com/th/visa/non-immigrant_oa/).

I think that the moral of this thread is "Take everything said on Thai Govt websites about immigration-related procedures with a pinch of salt and instead slavishly comply with advice given by your friendly local immigration officer, in the full knowledge that he or she may well subsequently contradict this depending on the side of the bed he or she got out of on the particular days in question" biggrin.png

Edited by OJAS

As I remember from my investigation of a O-A (Long Stay) to be obtained in the US, it was my understanding that if there was no Thai Embassy or Consulate located in your home country or one nearby you could obtain the O-A directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the address listed in the first post. Since there is an Embassy and several consulates in the US I did not need it but remember the exception

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

• Like 1

Sorry I was looking at the wrong part of the page.

Three is missing from the Thai version. It goes from two to four.

Is it possible that Thais don't need to apply for such a visa?

Maybe that's the reason it's not showing on the Thai language version, but strange indeed.

As I remember from my investigation of a O-A (Long Stay) to be obtained in the US, it was my understanding that if there was no Thai Embassy or Consulate located in your home country or one nearby you could obtain the O-A directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the address listed in the first post. Since there is an Embassy and several consulates in the US I did not need it but remember the exception

3. Channels to submit application

Applicant may submit their application at the Royal Thai embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country or at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand located onGovernment Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889.

It is not possible to apply for any visa directly to the MFA in Bangkok. And certainly not from immigration which is not part of the MFA.

If there is no embassy or official Thai consulate in your home country or where you are a legal resident you apply to the one designated to provide services for that country.

Sorry I was looking at the wrong part of the page.

Three is missing from the Thai version. It goes from two to four.

Is it possible that Thais don't need to apply for such a visa?

Maybe that's the reason it's not showing on the Thai language version, but strange indeed.

The Thai version is on the consular.go.th website which is there mostly for embassy or consulate staff.

As I wrote before it appears to me that it is not a translation error it is 2 different pages that are even posted on different websites.

It has been more than 5 year since all this happened, so my memory might have some holes, but I doubt that I received the extension of stay on the same day (e.g 12 December) as the Non "O" retirement. I'm almost sure that I received the extension of stay on 11 March 2009, based on my Non "O" visa I had received on 12 December 2008 and which expired on 11 March 2009.

We can discuss this in to the almighty but that not gonna happen, but I'm pretty sure that I held a visa Non "O" retirement between 12 DEC 2008 and 11 March 2009, and was then granted a 1 year extension of stay which has been renewed ever since.

Your thinking this way is due to the extension actually starting (one extra year) at the end of the current entry (which is normal). But you obtained the actual extension on the same day you made the application for change of status (which used to be normal - often it is now asked that you return 60 days later). If you obtained a re-entry permit during the same visit it would cover the entire period of time (almost 15 months) so your extension was approved on the 12th and the visa stamp was history.