Baby Formula Milk - any Reviews?

David48

Baby Formula Milk - any Reviews?

We are doing the rounds of the various formula milks available in your local TESCO etc and wondering what your thoughts are on the various brands available.

The best place (read trustworthy and cheap) to purchase that from.

Currently we are using Dumex ... the Orange Box

post-104736-0-17009900-1397467116_thumb.

... as it seems to be the best value (read cheapest) of the major brands.

The Hospital recently gave us some complimentary sample size boxes of the Hi-Q Super Gold powder which we are currently trialing.

post-104736-0-52942100-1397467113_thumb.

We've bought their 'Blue' brand before and the results were fine.

From what I could search on the net, they seem to be the same parent company.

So ... what are you using?

Why?

Any sort of comparative study done (in English) that you know of.

General comments also.

... and yes, my partner does breastfeed and is doing a brilliant job of it ... but we were lucky enough to have TWINS.

Thanks in Advance ...

We have used Enfalac A+ since birth as it was what they started her on at the hospital and we saw no reason to change. She just reached 1 year old and we asked to doc about changing and he said apart from the prices there isn't a lot of difference. We stuck with enfalac as it has never given her any trouble.

• Like 1

We have used Enfalac A+ since birth as it was what they started her on at the hospital and we saw no reason to change. She just reached 1 year old and we asked to doc about changing and he said apart from the prices there isn't a lot of difference. We stuck with enfalac as it has never given her any trouble.

As above no issues with this milk once breast is finished/not enough.

Buy a tin then buy the boxes afterwards.

Edited by Skint
  • Like 1

I'm using the Hi-Q from Dumax, but not the gold edition.

My son likes the Blue edition.

When he got two years I bought him the honey flavour first time and now anything else will do. wink.png

Best prizes always at BigC.

• Like 1

I'm no doctor but I thought women could produce enough milk for twins, triplets and more. I thought it was a supply and demand thing. The more the babies drink the more mummy produces.

About the formula, it's all the same. All the "gold", "x", "triple x", it's all a marketing scam.

My little one breast fed the first year then went on to Meiji big bottles from the fridge at 7 eleven. He's doing just fine.

No you aren't a doctor. Not all women produce enough milk. Wet nurses were around to help women who couldn't bf or produce enouh. Formula is the modern replacement.

Thanks Boo.

Actually, overnight, while the boys were alseep, my gf expressed more then what was required and froze it in the BPA free bags we had bought earlier that day.

That was a milestone for us.

• Like 1

About the formula, it's all the same. All the "gold", "x", "triple x", it's all a marketing scam.

I am concerned about the Marketing hype, hence the thread.

I want a 'good value' product, which means quality at an affordable price ... not fancy packets with a great marketing team.

Mom's milk is best. Period. It outperforms the boxed profit-generating powder by a factor 10 million to one. At least.

And when they twins have munched mom's milk for at least 6 months (preferably longer), I'd go for whatever brand offers a sugar free formula. Lactose intolerance is common in Thailand, but you should know by now whether the twins are intolerant or not. Enfalac offers a lactose free formula.

Mum's milk is best, I agree there but once the bubs grows those razor sharp teeth, I doubt it's much fun for mum. Mine stopped once the biting got too much.

David the best way is to carefully cross check all the ingredients on the cans, then go from there making your own decision. We just chose what looked like the best available which is S26 Gold lactose free.

Ours is lactose intolerant, she got bad skin rashes from normal formula milk. We found lactose free formula milk in Thailand in a Tops supermarket. Problem was she wouldn't drink it, she knew it wasn't the same brand she had in Australia, by memory it was the Enfelac lactose free as mentioned by Forethat. Btw, we took 3 tins from Oz, she drank the lot with a few days still to go.

Btw nappies and especially bum wipes are much much cheaper here in Australia. Way overpriced in any Thai stores.

• Like 1

David the best way is to carefully cross check all the ingredients on the cans, then go from there making your own decision. We just chose what looked like the best available which is S26 Gold lactose free.

I actually dont know one single manufacturer who will tell you the ingredients. That is probably the scariest bit about feeding your infant with baby formula - they wont tell you what's in it.

• Like 2

I actually dont know one single manufacturer who will tell you the ingredients. That is probably the scariest bit about feeding your infant with baby formula - they wont tell you what's in it.

Ok well I never checked any Thai sold cans before but on every product sold by law in australia there is. David48 is australian, so he's lucky.

Ok well I never checked any Thai sold cans before but on every product sold by law in australia there is. David48 is australian, so he's lucky.

It's the same situation all over the world. Australia is no different; there is no requirement to inform the consumer what's inside. Granted there's a nutritional information, but not what they've used to achieve this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

another problem with formula milk in thailand is that a lot of the brands (Mead Johnson, Abbott, Nestle) appear to be using GMO ingredients and i heard of stuff like high fructose corn syrup, though i did not confirm that.

Dumex appears to not use GMO ingredients. for the first year i ordered Hipp organic formula milk from Europe, absolutely fantastic milk, but wow , does that get expensive when consumption increases!

My daughter is not taking to the Dumex so well, so i'm looking at what else is available that is of the kind of quality that you would give to a baby ( no gmo's and no crap ingredients like HFCS)

My Wife wasnt producing enough milk, we needed to supplement with formula... We were started with Enfalac from Bumrungrad hospital - within weeks we noticed our little fella encountering discomfort when passing motion.... (some serious red faced grunting and crying)...

We suspected discomfort due to a lactose intolerance and switched to lactose free which didn't help matters.

After a little research we switched to Nestle Nan Pro... this seemed to solve the issue and we've had no issues since.

When travelling to the UK with use SMA which is one of just three brands readily available there, our little fella has no issues switching.

• Like 1

We use Enfelec A+. Yellow box. Mum stopped feeding at 4 months. Little chap has thrived on it. I put him on solids puréed etc from 5 months so the diet was a combination. He is now 19 months and just gets a big bottle of formula ( 4oz formula and 4oz full fat milk) going to bed. He' s the biggest (not fat) most developed kid we have seen locally.

Be careful you buy the correct original milk no flavourings. Enfelec do it in Vanilla flavour and other <deleted>. Need to read Thai on the box.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the replies above ... always appreciated ... thumbsup.gif.

Does your wife know you're asking strangers advice on baby formula..........yikes

Ummmm ... yes. Sure, why not?

We have Twin boys, we need to supplement the natural milk supply with formula.

There are few, if any Trolls that venture down here, so the advice is candid.

Neither my Partner, not I have had kids before. No-one of her friends have had kids apart from a few rich couples who just, as a default, buy the most expensive brands.

So, it's only natural to come to the Forum and seek others experiences.

My partner is a well respected Member of this Forum and, before kids, was quite active.

She's involved in her own Baby FaceBook groups and she tells me what Formula is popular with them.

May I ask why you think it's strange that I come here asking for advice?

Cheers.

Thanks guys for the replies above ... always appreciated ... thumbsup.gif.

Does your wife know you're asking strangers advice on baby formula..........yikes

Ummmm ... yes. Sure, why not?

We have Twin boys, we need to supplement the natural milk supply with formula.

There are few, if any Trolls that venture down here, so the advice is candid.

Neither my Partner, not I have had kids before. No-one of her friends have had kids apart from a few rich couples who just, as a default, buy the most expensive brands.

So, it's only natural to come to the Forum and seek others experiences.

My partner is a well respected Member of this Forum and, before kids, was quite active.

She's involved in her own Baby FaceBook groups and she tells me what Formula is popular with them.

May I ask why you think it's strange that I come here asking for advice?

Cheers.

I had forgotten all about the one liner but here goes. We choose one of the expensive brands and it has worked out fine. The old saying, you get what you pay for holds true. If I were to ask for advice though it would be at the hospital. But, that was quite a response you gave double space and all that.