Take the car ferry to Koh Chang?

cooked

Is it worthwhile my taking the car over to Koh Chang? We are planning on arriving on the 18th or 19th and staying for two - three nights. I'm confident about my driving abilities but if the roads are difficult to navigate, if there are too many Song Kran idiots, maybe I should leave it in Trat?

Where is a secure place to leave it if I did leave it in Trat? Thanks.

I don't think you'll have problems driving in Koh Chang, just keep your eyes open, lots of drunk driving on the island.

Hopefully songkran is over today or tomorrow, so it will be normal by the 18th.

Agreed, lots of idiots on the road. Had to pick Mrs T up from work yesterday as she was scared of riding her motorbike. Early morning ok, but later in the day the idiots come out to play. They were still chucking water at 7pm. Hopefully it is the last day.

Regarding the roads, I think they are ok, just have to keep any eye out for the Bangkok cars, idiots on motorbikes and the minivan fools.

I took the car to K.C 6 years ago. On the ferry, the cars are parked very, very close together. One of you should stay with the car cause you need to keep an eye out for thais banging their doors or bags against your car.

The scary came later. When arriving there , you go up in a 90 degr turn at a steep angle. You ( well I was) not alone and cars right in front and behind you when you take that turn. I was so surprized , was in wrong gear and the motor stopped ! On that steep angle , started the car , all breaks on and take the turn . Very scary.

It was years ago , it may now have been changed.

Roads were narrow and parking is a problem when you saw a nice beach and wanted to stop to take a look.

I took the car to K.C 6 years ago. On the ferry, the cars are parked very, very close together. One of you should stay with the car cause you need to keep an eye out for thais banging their doors or bags against your car.

The scary came later. When arriving there , you go up in a 90 degr turn at a steep angle. You ( well I was) not alone and cars right in front and behind you when you take that turn. I was so surprized , was in wrong gear and the motor stopped ! On that steep angle , started the car , all breaks on and take the turn . Very scary.

Roads were narrow and parking is a problem when you saw a nice beach and wanted to stop to take a look.

There is only 1 road, it is the main road,and it's narrow.

Parking can be a problem if you want to park right on the beach.

Yes, it's a mountainous road just after the pier, you must watch for the Bangkokians who have never seen a mountain in their life.

I have taken the ferry countless times, and i have never seen Thais " banging doors or bags against cars "

I took my pick-up truck over there Dec last year and was glad I did. We used it every day for going around on the Island.

I found it funny to drive on the mountain roads but my wife didn't like it, LOL, the truck was sometimes wheel spinning wildly going up.

Many small bikes on the roads and the rides ride them like they own the roads so be careful and for some reason the riders don't wear helmets which is stupid.

Saw a young tourist on the hotel that had crashed on his rented bike so he was limping about with big plasters on elbows and knees and could not go swimming anymore, he will be okay again but holidays ruined.

Good points. I think those roads are a nightmare during/after a rain. I can't imagine doing it on a bike. I met a guy in Jordan who was running a hotel. He had a full leg cast. I asked how it happened. Scooter crash on Koh Chang! 5555

We took the pick up a couple of months ago, no problems with the ferry very quick on and quick off and cheap, they are widening the main road in sections and there are a couple of hair pin bends and quite steep climbs just make sure you are in the right gear before you get to them.

I would rather trust myself to drive around the island than have one of the kamikaze taxi drivers do it.

I can recommend the 5 island day cruise great value for money, price includes pick up and drop off from hotel, mask and snorkel hire and lunch and afternoon meal.

We had a great time there clean beaches and lovely clean ocean for coral snorkelling, we will be going back soon

You make it sound like a nightmare, it isnt. I do the ferry once or twice a week, i drive the roafs evrry day. The biggest menace are the bangkok drivers who have never seen a hill or a bend. There is parking by most beaches and car really is the safest way around IMO.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I drive over there I tuck the outside mirror in, for a little more room on the road...

sounds unsafe, driving anywhere in thailand need both mirrors at all times, it does not matter how narrow the road is, often someone could be on your inside

cheers

• 1 month later...

How many crossings are there from the mainland?

Will be travelling down from Sakon early July. Its been a while since i last visited KC, think it was exactly 10 years ago (bloody hell that's flew by). This is the first time I will be driving there though.

Any advice??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are 2 car ferries. I prefer the Thammachart ferry service. It's closer if you are coming from Bangkok, the ferries are faster and they have more frequent departures.

http://explorekohchang.com/koh-chang/how-to-get-to-koh-chang/koh-chang-ferry-speedboat-island-hopping/

http://www.koh-chang.com/travel_guide/HowToGetThere.html

Last time (first time for me) I left Ko Chang, the queue to get my car on the ferry was almost 3 hours, most of it sitting on the road- watching the ferry guys try to get people to quit cutting to the front of the line because traffic couldn't move in either direction when they got caught out in the wrong lane.

Is that normal for the end of a weekend? Are there better times to leave than others? I left early, before noon on Sunday, thinking I'd miss the mess.

We left a few weeks ago around 10am on a Thursday. Barely missed the ferry and was #3 in line for the next. None of the ferries were full. But it was off season, and in a very slow year for tourists!

We were in Khao Lak a few months ago. Arrived on Saturday and it was quite lively, and rooms were pretty well booked. Sunday, everything started to calm down and by Monday night, it was very quiet.

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Ko Chang this weekend and had to wait 4 hours before we could get on the ferry! We lost the entire afternoon,

We will never go to Ko Chang again!

This is an ongoing problem, and I don't blame you.

I travel on he ferry at least once a week. The service and organisation is dreadful, and it isn't cheap either. The problem is that there really isn't any competition. I have no idea how many hours of my life I have wasted waiting for a ferry, but it's far too many. A proper government, not for profit service is what is required.

We went to Ko Chang this weekend and had to wait 4 hours before we could get on the ferry! We lost the entire afternoon,

This is an ongoing problem, and I don't blame you.

I travel on he ferry at least once a week. The service and organisation is dreadful, and it isn't cheap either. The problem is that there really isn't any competition. I have no idea how many hours of my life I have wasted waiting for a ferry, but it's far too many. A proper government, not for profit service is what is required.

I assume Mr. SoiSpoil was at center point ferry, i never had to wait too long at the other pier.

We went a few months ago. I took one ferry, my friend took the other. We beat him to our hotel by almost 2 hours. Same on the way home as he bought a return ticket.

I guess one ferry doesn't have as many departure times????

We went a few months ago. I took one ferry, my friend took the other. We beat him to our hotel by almost 2 hours. Same on the way home as he bought a return ticket.

I guess one ferry doesn't have as many departure times????

The wrong ferry is slower, the distance is bigger, and they don't let it start before it's full..

It's a bit cheaper, but it' s not very convenient for the reasons above.. That's my experience.

Also, in 10 years i never saw so little people in July in KC, this may be another reason for less ferry journeys.

Indeed 4 hours seems to be a long time to wait.

Ours was pretty straight forward and around a 20 min wait, tops.

We arrived at KC on a Tuesday afternoon and left on a Friday morning.

This was the Thammachat crossing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Long weekend 11th-14th July; Thai Public Holiday; Friday, Saturday, and Monday = traffic jams. Samet and Ko Chang are usually rammo'd with Thai visitors on most long weekends, nevermind low or high season for overseas tourists.

I avoid them usually. Always check out early on day of departure, and you're usually first on the ferry back to the mainland before 9am.

Here's my situation, and I'd appreciate any advice.

I'm going to Koh Chang this weekend--just Saturday and Sunday. I'll drive from Pattaya starting early (5/6 am) and leave on Sunday. Any ideas how the ferry will be both days?

I assume I'll arrive at the ferry pier approximately 9 am on Saturday. Will there be a wait, do you think?

How about leaving on Sunday? Do I have to leave very early, or can I get a ferry in the afternoon without that much trouble?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can chime in with some prior knowledge here.

Jimmyd

One and a quarter hour wait today at Thammachst.Sat on the piece of shitt at present. Distinctly not happy.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I assume Mr. SoiSpoil was at center point ferry, i never had to wait too long at the other pier.

My problem was several hours squandered to get on a ferry off the island, but it was on the "good" ferry, not the Center Point.

Looks like you rolls the dice and takes your chances- and it's just too risky to chance losing half my weekend in line for a ferry.

Shame, really. I liked the Island. But I have to rate the entire trip as a negative experience- only because of the ferry.

I hate the ferry, crap service, crap facilities , crap organisation and for what it is, its expensive. I wasted 2 hours today with the wait and the slow journey. I hope tomorrow it will be a lot quicker

Problem us, they have no real competition so they don't give a monkeys

I'm going to Koh Chang this weekend--just Saturday and Sunday. I'll drive from Pattaya starting early (5/6 am) and leave on Sunday. Any ideas how the ferry will be both days?

I assume I'll arrive at the ferry pier approximately 9 am on Saturday. Will there be a wait, do you think?

How about leaving on Sunday? Do I have to leave very early, or can I get a ferry in the afternoon without that much trouble?

Ferries do run less frequently in low season than they do in high season so there may be slightly longer waits for a ferry and also if they decide to fill the ferry up before leaving.Often it`s a matter of luck if a ferry is there when you arrive or you can see one coming from the island. Maybe I`ve been lucky but I can`t remember waiting any longer than an hour for a ferry.

There are some exceptions though. If you come on a Friday afternoon when a lot of Thais come for the weekend there are often longer waiting times. Since you`re coming on Saturday you`ll avoid that.

Leaving the island on Sunday is a tricky on. Some sunday mornings just after 9am can be horrendous. Leaving before 9am should be fine but will give you much less time on the island. I`d be inclined to get the ferry late afternoon when the rush should have died down and gives you a longer break on KC.

Archived