vegetable growing and chickens

Hi all first post.. currently in Cheoplung near prasat / surin for a few weeks with the thai wife visiting the family who live here.. internet connection not so good so not been able to spend to much time reading padt threads etc

The back garden is not being used for anything i reckon i have 15m x 15m space which i can turn into a veggie patch for them before I go

Also I want to invest in some decent chickens for them not the usual anorexic type I see wandering around.. lol

Couple of questions if I may??

1. its still real hot so is it gonnabe possible to get much to germinate in this heat or would it be better sowing seeds etc in 4 or 6 weeks when a little cooler and more wet.. if it is possible to plant now what will grow in this heat?

2. i know there is a market in Surin whic sells livestock.. not had a chance to have a look yet, but was wondering what kind of chickens are the most like the ones back home.. i.e. have some meat on them

Probably shouldnt have left it this late to enquire but any advice would be muchly appreciated

Rob

• Like 1

Here are a couple of things to consider.

1. If they don’t have chickens or a garden now, why do you think that is?
  2. Unless you cage them, chickens won’t get along well with your veggies.
  3. Why not Gai ban. They free range well (low feed cost). Easier/cheaperto obtain and maintain. They are readily available. More resistant to disease. Easy to sell for the family to pick up some money. Lower in cholesterol/leaner that purebreds. They will readily sit and hatch eggs expanding/replenishing the flock. Thais prefer their taste as is indicated in the price/kg. They are poor layers, but eggs are not that expensive.
  4. Why not ducks…….they are way cooler.

I have both gai ban and domestic breeds for different purposes, but I would only gift gai ban to thai families unless they are specifically looking for eggs. for the garden, a lot will depend on exactly what your physical set up is…fenced, shaded, soil type, location in the village, initial investment. When you have time, send some more info.

you say you are going to get it ready for them?

i would say, and its just my opinion, if they wanted a veg patch and some chickens running round they would of done it themselfs,,

just my thoughts, if i was you i wouldnt interfear,

some thais get the laying chickens and ducks for that matter, and never feed the the right food, and without laying pellets they WILL NOT lay an egg everyday

then they want to get rid of them,

jake

thanks for the replys guys..

Jotham

1. laziness and 2 farangs in the family who contribute more than they should... i am a firm, believer in you dont get something for nothing so i wil be imposing conditions that they maintain the patch and look after chickens

2. good point but fortunately a couple of sheds already in place i can easily convert

3. briliant info cheers for that

4. ducks could work, big watering hole 2 mins walk away,, cheers for the idea

I will PM you with some more details once I have figured outmy budget :)

Pigeon jake...

yes thats the plan.. perhaps they dont want it, but they sure could do with it and i figure if i get the initial hard work out the way the prospect of making a little money and food for themselves will not seem so daunting / so much effort!!

plus i have reasoned with the wife and suggested that us supporting them too much is not a good idea as it will mean no babies for her

cheers for the pointer on the laying pellets.. will et the wife to translate

thanks for the replys guys..

Jotham

1. laziness and 2 farangs in the family who contribute more than they should... i am a firm, believer in you dont get something for nothing so i wil be imposing conditions that they maintain the patch and look after chickens

2. good point but fortunately a couple of sheds already in place i can easily convert

3. briliant info cheers for that

4. ducks could work, big watering hole 2 mins walk away,, cheers for the idea

I will PM you with some more details once I have figured outmy budget smile.png

Re 1....if they are lazy and waiting and expecting handouts now....will not change just because you build something...build it and they will not come....when you go, it will become overgrown and weed infested beyond an easy weed and then all too hard.....same for the chickens, they will run loose, dogs get them, not give an avatar about them.

This is all based on them being lazy ars.es as you already say they are.....sounds like they will not appreciate it and then not look after it.

Dont waste your time and money.

hi showbags thanks for the reply

when i say lazy i just meant lazier than me i wouldnt go so far as to describe as lazy <deleted>.. well my brother in law perhaps but MIL and FIL both a little immobile and had a hard life both being youngest fro, big families,, however was speaking to SIL today who pulls the strings and she thinks it a great idea

we have been sizing up an area for some chooks, already got a couple of little outbuildings for some shade just need a bit of work and some new tin on the roof, plenty of space to section of part of the garden, simple frame and a large roll of that reen netting stuff should be ok for them to wander around in during the day

when i mentioned about the largish veggie patch she said she would have a word with a neighbour 200 baht to get a small tractor in for an hour which will save me getting burnt to a crisp

didnt realise that they plan to start selling frogs again and already got about 5000 little ones on order which is pleasing to hear

Rob

Ok then...give it a go, just don't put too much into it to see how they handle it firts.

As for chicken pen, make sure it is dog and snake proof...if locked in at night, they are simply easy pickings. The other chooks you see wandering about free can flee to tree tops and roost up high away from everything.

We have had snakes take a whole hen house full....mind you, big snake.

hi showbags thanks for the reply

when i say lazy i just meant lazier than me i wouldnt go so far as to describe as lazy <deleted>.. well my brother in law perhaps but MIL and FIL both a little immobile and had a hard life both being youngest fro, big families,, however was speaking to SIL today who pulls the strings and she thinks it a great idea

we have been sizing up an area for some chooks, already got a couple of little outbuildings for some shade just need a bit of work and some new tin on the roof, plenty of space to section of part of the garden, simple frame and a large roll of that reen netting stuff should be ok for them to wander around in during the day

when i mentioned about the largish veggie patch she said she would have a word with a neighbour 200 baht to get a small tractor in for an hour which will save me getting burnt to a crisp

didnt realise that they plan to start selling frogs again and already got about 5000 little ones on order which is pleasing to hear

Rob

Hi Rob, if you have this much space you might consider fencing off 4/6 areas with chook proof fence(at least six feet high). Could then rotate chooks in one pen while the others grow stuff. maybe look at forage crops to grow in rotation esp nitrogen fixing ones!

useful addition to shed roof would be some guttering to fill a rain barrel with a chicken watering spiggot on it.