Bringing over $20,000 USD in cash? Anyone tried? What's the procedures?

Shurup

Came in on a European flight recently and they announced on the flight that $25,000 or equivelant needs to be declared?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It was a $20,000 USD for a while, maybe it's changed now? I'd confirm it before risking bringing that much without declaring. Or just declare it if over 20k, it was a very painless procedure anyway.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Came in on a European flight recently and they announced on the flight that $25,000 or equivelant needs to be declared?

It was a $20,000 USD for a while, maybe it's changed now? I'd confirm it before risking bringing that much without declaring. Or just declare it if over 20k, it was a very painless procedure anyway.

Nope, still $20,000 (U.S.) as per the Customs website.

I have never known such as a simple topic produce so much misinformation as taking currency in or out of Thailand and back to or from another country. Now it looks like even the airlines want to get in on the "make it up as you go along" party. Which airline was this?

• Like 1

Nope, still $20,000 (U.S.) as per the Customs website.

I have never known such as a simple topic produce so much misinformation as taking currency in or out of Thailand and back to or from another country. Now it looks like even the airlines want to get in on the "make it up as you go along" party. Which airline was this?

Austrian

• Like 1

I posted this in another thread, but when you are LEAVING Thailand, anybody know if that 20,000 USD is per person in a group, or if 2 people in a group can in fact carry up to 40,000 USD? And what if the second person in the group is a Thai?

The wording on the Thai website just says "foreigner". It seems to imply a single person may carry 20,000, and that's it. No mention of group.

I posted this in another thread, but when you are LEAVING Thailand, anybody know if that 20,000 USD is per person in a group, or if 2 people in a group can in fact carry up to 40,000 USD? And what if the second person in the group is a Thai?

The wording on the Thai website just says "foreigner". It seems to imply a single person may carry 20,000, and that's it. No mention of group.

You can take out or bring in as much as you like!! But over the $20,000 (U.S.) limit you have to declare it.

I repeat, "AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE", as long as it is not Thai Baht which is much more tightly controlled.

I apologise for the capital letters but as I have said many times I am trying to combat misinformation which is highly prevalent on this thread.

You can take out or bring in as much as you like!! But over the $20,000 (U.S.) limit you have to declare it.

I repeat, "AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE", as long as it is not Thai Baht which is much more tightly controlled.

I apologise for the capital letters but as I have said many times I am trying to combat misinformation which is highly prevalent on this thread.

Thank you.

Sorry I wasn't clear though. Do you have to declare it if you are in a group of 2 people, and each carrying 20,000 usd or less out of thailand? And one is a Thai.

I would really be more comfortable not declaring the cash upon exit, so I would like to be clear on this point. The regulations don't seem to mention anything about limiting "groups" to only carrying a certain amount before declaration is required. I would assume each person can carry 20k usd without declaring then?

Us has regulations for groups of people traveling together, which I think is ridiculous, but was wondering if thailand had this also. I posted in the lawyer forum but did not get a response. Thanks.

Edited by meand

meand

As far as I read the regulations, nationality is of no concern to Thai Customs and a group vs an individual is of no concern either. It is $20,000 (U.S.) or equivalent, not in Thai Baht, per person. Any more than that you have to declare which is straightforward.

• Like 1

The Thai law seems to be as Briggsy says. I know that Canadian law (just like the US) limits it per group, however I think it depends on what kind of group. A family is definitely a group but 2 buddies not related in any other way should not be considered a group.

Back to Thai law, if you and the other person are just friends, you aren't a group a would think.

meand

As far as I read the regulations, nationality is of no concern to Thai Customs and a group vs an individual is of no concern either. It is $20,000 (U.S.) or equivalent, not in Thai Baht, per person. Any more than that you have to declare which is straightforward.

To you both, that is how I read it too, and have never heard otherwise. I am sure that is in fact true then, they don't distinguish groups of people.

I never understood the enforceability of the us groups restriction anyway, seems like an odd one. Like what if I am in the front of the plane, and my aunt in the back, and we walk out of the terminal separately. We're we traveling in a group? :)

Thanks guys.

Edited by meand