Passport check on the road

This afternoon there was a joint action from the BIB together with immigration police on the bypass road in Korat opposite to Home Pro. First time in years I was asked for my passport at a road check point.

A lot of photo's were made during the process of checking my passport and drivers license, and both BIB and immigration Police were super friendly which is an experience by itself.

I have read many posts about passports never asked at check points and it was my first time as well but it does happen!

All depends where you live. never happens to me in BKK or up-country. But it happened a lot when I was living in a order area. But than still mostly when traveling with public transport and seldom when traveling in a private car.

I generally get waved through in a private car, but have been stopped Chiang Mai or Rai to Phitsanulok,evening /night, looking for people smugglers and drugs , the worst was when Thaskin was believed to be back in the North and the coup, the police and immigration where good and never have taken the PP for cross check, checked the chauffers licence once, then gave us he's card.

I am not sure if it acceptable but I take pictures of My Passport, entry stamp and Departure Card in my phone.

If you were asked for your passport. Copies, pictures and anything else would not suffice if the person asking wanted to push the issue.

There have been cases where people had to wait at a police station while somebody brought the passport to them. Others have been fined for not having it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am not sure if it acceptable but I take pictures of My Passport, entry stamp and Departure Card in my phone.

If you were asked for your passport. Copies, pictures and anything else would not suffice if the person asking wanted to push the issue.

There have been cases where people had to wait at a police station while somebody brought the passport to them. Others have been fined for not having it.

Yes but those were the people who could not produce copies also.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

How do you know that?

I can assure you that there have been cases where copies were not accepted because it is very easy to alter a copy or photo.

There is no law stating that you must carry your passport,the law states that you must provide ID with a photo within a ‘reasonable’ time frame, so a DL would be ok

That is not exactly correct. Any other ID you have than the passport does not have any proof that you are legally in the country. The immigration act states that if you don't have that you can be considered to be in the country illegally until such time you can show it.

Most embassies recognize the need for having your passport as an ID. That is why they make exceptions (in example the UK) when applying for a new one so that you can keep it.

There is no law stating that you must carry your passport,the law states that you must provide ID with a photo within a ‘reasonable’ time frame, so a DL would be ok

That is not exactly correct. Any other ID you have than the passport does not have any proof that you are legally in the country. The immigration act states that if you don't have that you can be considered to be in the country illegally until such time you can show it.

Most embassies recognize the need for having your passport as an ID. That is why they make exceptions (in example the UK) when applying for a new one so that you can keep it.

please point me to the law stating you have to carry a passport ???? there is no such law, this has been posted many times in the past go look it up.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

please point me to the law stating you have to carry a passport ???? there is no such law, this has been posted many times in the past go look it up.

You may be right !

That will not prevent the police from detaining someone until proof of legal stay is provide in the form of a passport !

Try section 13 of the attachicon.gifImmigration_Act_EN.pdf and a few others that come close.

try again no where does it state that you are required to carry your passport go look at the past posts on this subject also go look at the lawyers forum YOU do not have to carry you passport end of story.

I all the "excitement" my post seems to have got lost"

Here is a repeat

"You may be right !

That will not prevent the police from detaining someone until proof of legal stay is provided in the form of a passport !"
edit
s+pellng
Edited by thepool

Here is a repeat

"You may be right !

That will not prevent the police from detaining someone until proof of legal stay is provided in the form of a passport !"
edit
s+pellng

read my post 13, ( ‘reasonable’ time frame ) think ubonjoe is still looking ha ha!!!

Edited by MikeandDow

Here is a repeat

"You may be right !

edit
s+pellng

read my post 13, ( ‘reasonable’ time frame ) think ubonjoe is still looking ha ha!!!

A "reasonable time" in a police lock up might in fact be a long time !

Especially when the drunken "mates" cannot find the passport ! smile.png

Just got stopped at a police road block while on my way back about an hour ago from Saphan Phud night market near Memorial bridge.

My car was thoroughly checked and a friend of mine has only a copy of her Netherlands passport with her. It seems that it was not acceptable to the police. Though we were let off, they gave us a stern warning that we should have our passport in our persons at all times.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here is a repeat

"You may be right !

edit

s+pellng

read my post 13, ( reasonable time frame ) think ubonjoe is still looking ha ha!!!

Up to you, as they say.

Let us kow the outcome if you should get stopped.

A perfectly nice Japanese young man in my Thai language class was detained overnight in a small town jail because he was out on a road trip on his motorscooter with a few Thai friends upcountry and a copy of his Japanese passport wasn't sufficient proof for the local authorities. He had to wait for his Thai wife to bring his actual passport and she had to take the bus up to the little town and ride home on the back of the motorscooter. Needless to say she wasn't happy with the long bus and motorscooter rides and their budget could ill afford this little road trip.

So whether or not the police can "point to a law" that says you "must" carry your passport, they have other persuasive powers that can create inconvenience if you're not carrying your passport.

The Japanese guy told the story in our Thai class, and our Thai teacher (ever sensitive, these Thais) just laughed and said he was detained because he looked like he was from Laos, didn't speak English, spoke Thai with an accent and the cops obviously didn't understand Japanese! The cops thought he was an illegal alien from Laos. Hah, hah, hah!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

I imagine there are incidents where police have insisted on a passport, but I think it's rare IF you have a nice readable copy (not some old screwed up piece of paper) or a Thai DL. Every time I get my annual extension, I get a colour copy of the front page and current visa page on reverse, scaled down, laminated and carry it in my wallet or pocket. The law doesn't state that you have to have your passport in your possession at all times, but you must be able to produce it if required. That in itself can create a lot of hassle especially if you meet Mr. Nasty and you and your passport are separated by a few hundred miles.

I have lived innPattaya for many years and am yet to meet a farang who has his passport on him when out and about. Personally I have never been asked to show one and don't know of anyone who has....but then again the law in the independent Republic of Pattaya may be different...

The same bunch of police the OP refers to move around daily,I've encountered them along with their 2 speed cameras on several locations mainly on the 304 ,just south of Pakchongchai & on the 24 near Chok Chai......on 4 occasions this year I've been asked for my passport........No Immigration people present but the policemen have all spoken good English & certainly know what to look for in your passport.