Why do thai food courts require cash cards and not direct payment?

ultimate weapon

It is also a food hygiene issue. Food handlers should not be handling/keeping money in food preparation area. In a restaurant kitchen is separated.

Well considering the usual food hygiene issues in Thailand I doubt that it was the real reason for it.

Edit: In Vienna where food hygiene is excellent are small shops that sell hot sausage or Pizza or Kebab on the street and they of course take cash money.

Edited by h90
  • Like 2

I have caught the cashiers at the likes of Tesco short changing customers all the time, its no wonder they remove cash from them as much as possible.

Oz

I've been short changed twice by banks. Reform begins at the bottom, but nobody is willing to be the first

It is also a food hygiene issue. Food handlers should not be handling/keeping money in food preparation area. In a restaurant kitchen is separated.

Well considering the usual food hygiene issues in Thailand I doubt that it was the real reason for it.

Edit: In Vienna where food hygiene is excellent are small shops that sell hot sausage or Pizza or Kebab on the street and they of course take cash money.

Handling money and serving food is one of the biggest hygiene concerns there is so vienna is actually worse than the Thai food vendors

I also fail to understand your views on food hygiene matters in Thailand ? I have had more problems with dodgy food back in the Uk than I have ever had here

• Like 2

I have caught the cashiers at the likes of Tesco short changing customers all the time, its no wonder they remove cash from them as much as possible.

Oz

I've been short changed twice by banks. Reform begins at the bottom, but nobody is willing to be the first

Go ahead and tell them you were shortchanged the next time it happens.

Oz

I looked the girl in the eye as she was doing it. She looked back with an odd guilty/can I get away with this expression on her face but still went ahead and did it anyway. The sum was 50 baht, so if it means that much to them, they can keep it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Money is not very clean.... I think it's a great idea.... saves them handling it and the food too !

as if those greasy plastic cards are ever cleaned lol ............:D

Guy's y'all need to get off the tunnel vision lol. It's not only about hygiene, it's also about efficiency, It's much faster swiping a card than frumbling with cash, jk. Most Thais need a calculator to abstract the change.... U know when I give a 100baht note for a 50 baht dish, they still need the calculator before they can give me back 50baht. Time-efficiency, people, Time efficiency.

• Like 2

Oz

I looked the girl in the eye as she was doing it. She looked back with an odd guilty/can I get away with this expression on her face but still went ahead and did it anyway. The sum was 50 baht, so if it means that much to them, they can keep it.

so wait hold on. when you gave her your card to get back your cash you got back 50bht less. You didn't say anything at all but how much did you put into your cashcard. I usually put 100 or 200 bht and not more because the food doesn't cost so much. You didn't say anything at all when she just took 50bht from you?

so wait hold on. when you gave her your card to get back your cash you got back 50bht less. You didn't say anything at all but how much did you put into your cashcard. I usually put 100 or 200 bht and not more because the food doesn't cost so much. You didn't say anything at all when she just took 50bht from you?

I think you need to read it again

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

You mentioned shortchanged right.

So that means when you return the card back to get back the remaining amount.

Oz

50 baht like this from me would involve an imediate request from me to her for the change to be rectified..and when it was an imediate call to her manager to ask him to review his cctv tapes. There are too many honest people in Thailand who need jobs.

• Like 1

Handling money and serving food is one of the biggest hygiene concerns there is so vienna is actually worse than the Thai food vendors

I also fail to understand your views on food hygiene matters in Thailand ? I have had more problems with dodgy food back in the Uk than I have ever had here

I had several food infections in Thailand and zero in Europe.

One of the worst things I have seen in Thailand: cutting a chicken, cleaning (wishing over it) the knife and plastic cutting "wood" with an old grey dirty fabric. Than cutting the vegetables (which won't be heated) on the same place with the same knife.

Such a things just don't exist in Austria, Germany, Italy, Slovenia or Croatia....don't know for the rest of Europe.

Sure handling money and preparing food is a bad thing...but was done for centuries.

Yeah, but the pad thai in Vienna sucks!

• Like 1

&nbsp;

;

No. Read post # 11

&nbsp;

No. Read post # 11

I really hate that read it again stuff or people who list a post number.

So you don't have to read any of my posts... I get the correct change back from the unused amount every time I give the cashier the card. So far that has been 3960 times (based on an average of times I have eaten at food courts over the past few years in Thailand).

You give the lady the card. She runs it through a machine and it lists the amount due on a computer screen and that is the amount she gives you. How hard is that?

Also there is a card reader outside of the cashier booth that you can check the unused amount yourself before you present the card to the cashier.

If you don't get the correct change back you must be...........

I really hate that read it again stuff or people who list a post number.

So you don't have to read any of my posts... I get the correct change back from the unused amount every time I give the cashier the card. So far that has been 3960 times (based on an average of times I have eaten at food courts over the past few years in Thailand).

You give the lady the card. She runs it through a machine and it lists the amount due on a computer screen and that is the amount she gives you. How hard is that?

Also there is a card reader outside of the cashier booth that you can check the unused amount yourself before you present the card to the cashier.

If you don't get the correct change back you must be...........

Yep, you've lost me. I have no idea what you are talking about. I was talking about a bank, you are talking about a food court. Just drop it before we all go mad

• Like 1