Why do thai food courts require cash cards and not direct payment?

ultimate weapon

I really hate that read it again stuff or people who list a post number.

So you don't have to read any of my posts... I get the correct change back from the unused amount every time I give the cashier the card. So far that has been 3960 times (based on an average of times I have eaten at food courts over the past few years in Thailand).

You give the lady the card. She runs it through a machine and it lists the amount due on a computer screen and that is the amount she gives you. How hard is that?

Also there is a card reader outside of the cashier booth that you can check the unused amount yourself before you present the card to the cashier.

If you don't get the correct change back you must be...........

Yep, you've lost me. I have no idea what you are talking about. I was talking about a bank, you are talking about a food court. Just drop it before we all go mad

UW wrote, "You mentioned shortchanged right.

So that means when you return the card back to get back the remaining amount."

You wrote, "No. Read post # 11."

I wrote, "I really hate that read it again stuff or people who list a post number.

So you don't have to read any of my posts... I get the correct change back from the unused amount every time I give the cashier the card. So far that has been 3960 times (based on an average of times I have eaten at food courts over the past few years in Thailand).

You give the lady the card. She runs it through a machine and it lists the amount due on a computer screen and that is the amount she gives you. How hard is that?

Also there is a card reader outside of the cashier booth that you can check the unused amount yourself before you present the card to the cashier.

If you don't get the correct change back you must be..........."

I too always assumed it was more about efficiency than hygiene. Each stand doesn't need to worry about having enough change, and customer transactions - other than queuing to add/redeem value - are sped up allowing more time for prep/serving.

so wait hold on. when you gave her your card to get back your cash you got back 50bht less. You didn't say anything at all but how much did you put into your cashcard. I usually put 100 or 200 bht and not more because the food doesn't cost so much. You didn't say anything at all when she just took 50bht from you?

I think you need to read it again

You mentioned shortchanged right.

So that means when you return the card back to get back the remaining amount.

No. Read post # 11

This mr kurnell was talking about being shortchanged by a bank staff. He posted this in response to someone talking about cashiers short changing customers all the time. Anyway back to kurnell's story apparently she didn't give him back 50 bht he saw it in her eyes so he obviously knew it but for some strange and odd reason he didn't say anything at all but brought it up here in the forum making him well sound like a wuss. Does this mean that thailand is full of customers that don't know how to count cash or ones that just let the staff get away with short changing them?

Both of the above.

Most of these food shops are let on a revenue share basis. The worst performing are replaced every couple of months, and there's always a queue of willing renters.

Goo points...Thanks

You mentioned shortchanged right.

So that means when you return the card back to get back the remaining amount.

No. Read post # 11

This mr kurnell was talking about being shortchanged by a bank staff. He posted this in response to someone talking about cashiers short changing customers all the time. Anyway back to kurnell's story apparently she didn't give him back 50 bht he saw it in her eyes so he obviously knew it but for some strange and odd reason he didn't say anything at all but brought it up here in the forum making him well sound like a wuss. Does this mean that thailand is full of customers that don't know how to count cash or ones that just let the staff get away with short changing them?

The cashier at the food court really has to have big ones to attempt to short change as the amount due back to the customer shows on the computer screen visible to both her and the customer. As it does at 7/11 and most banks have a receipt stating the amount due back.

In all cases there is paper or data on the counter at the same time as cash. Who could ever be shortchanged?

Edited by thailiketoo

Why do thai food courts require cash cards and not direct payment?

In my country you just pay cash direct to the seller.

So the assumption is that everything done in your country must be the best way to do it?

For that matter when you go into places like Big C, why pay for things at check-out? Why not pay for each item when you take it off the shelf and put it in your cart? Actually in the more advanced countries (whatever that means) people tend to pay for things using credit cards, debit cards, coupons and even mobile phones rather than cash. Why is it in your country so many people still want to play with cash?

I think the main reason they do it in Thailand is because it gives bored farang one more thing to whine about.

And of course it's all fodder to the Thai bashers who can go off on things far removed from the thread topic.

Like throwing bananas to monkeys.

I have caught the cashiers at the likes of Tesco short changing customers all the time, its no wonder they remove cash from them as much as possible.

Oz

I've been short changed twice by banks. Reform begins at the bottom, but nobody is willing to be the first

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Guy's y'all need to get off the tunnel vision lol. It's not only about hygiene, it's also about efficiency, It's much faster swiping a card than frumbling with cash, jk. Most Thais need a calculator to abstract the change.... U know when I give a 100baht note for a 50 baht dish, they still need the calculator before they can give me back 50baht. Time-efficiency, people, Time efficiency.

Even worse, recently I went into my bank to make a 10,000Baht payment on my credit card. I gave the girl the payment slip with 10,000 written in words and numbers and 10,000Baht cash.

She immediately entered 10,000 into her calculator which produces a printed slip from a roll. she then counted the Bant notes 10,000. She then entered 10,000 into her calculator, pressed the total button then looked at the result. Then the look on her face of 'ahh, all OK', then she ripped the paper off the roll and threw it away.

Edited by scorecard

It is also a food hygiene issue. Food handlers should not be handling/keeping money in food preparation area. In a restaurant kitchen is separated.

Well considering the usual food hygiene issues in Thailand I doubt that it was the real reason for it.

Edit: In Vienna where food hygiene is excellent are small shops that sell hot sausage or Pizza or Kebab on the street and they of course take cash money.

well said , c'mon you people think it's a hygiene thing...555555

It is also a food hygiene issue. Food handlers should not be handling/keeping money in food preparation area. In a restaurant kitchen is separated.

Well considering the usual food hygiene issues in Thailand I doubt that it was the real reason for it.

Edit: In Vienna where food hygiene is excellent are small shops that sell hot sausage or Pizza or Kebab on the street and they of course take cash money.

well said , c'mon you people think it's a hygiene thing...555555

It has nothing whatsoever to do with hygiene. more to do with staff thieving.

Just thought it was a lot easier for the food sellers, they do not have to keep loads of change, well they don't need any at all..

Just go to a Village Markets and not have a load of 20 baht notes and coins, seller are running around different stalls trying to get change for 500 baht note

Lets them make some extra money from people who don't redeem their unspent coupons/cards. In some food courts the coupons even expire that day so you can't go back the next day to get your money.

I think the onus there is on the customer to remember to cash their card in to reclaim the unspent amount after eating. From what I have seen this is usually made fairly clear in signage and on the card. I could imagine a few get caught out though, would be interesting to see how much revenue this actually raises. Bet they don't split it with the tenants though!

Guy's y'all need to get off the tunnel vision lol. It's not only about hygiene, it's also about efficiency, It's much faster swiping a card than frumbling with cash, jk. Most Thais need a calculator to abstract the change.... U know when I give a 100baht note for a 50 baht dish, they still need the calculator before they can give me back 50baht. Time-efficiency, people, Time efficiency.

Listen people how this works is the following, you have to put up two months deposit for your space plus one months rent, then you are paid after 45 days on all the coupons for the first 30 days. So they collect your money don't give it to you wait 45 days and pay you for the first 30, 45 days later do the same. It's a huge scam using your own money to pay you late. Unless your a very well known shop you can't do well.

• Like 1

It also a way to get more cash out of the customer. The card customer use most of the money up on the card and have very little left so then they simple walk away without getting a card refund. A couple baht per customer can add up very quickly for the food court.

I've been short changed twice by banks. Reform begins at the bottom, but nobody is willing to be the first

Go ahead and tell them you were shortchanged the next time it happens.

I looked the girl in the eye as she was doing it. She looked back with an odd guilty/can I get away with this expression on her face but still went ahead and did it anyway. The sum was 50 baht, so if it means that much to them, they can keep it.

so wait hold on. when you gave her your card to get back your cash you got back 50bht less. You didn't say anything at all but how much did you put into your cashcard. I usually put 100 or 200 bht and not more because the food doesn't cost so much. You didn't say anything at all when she just took 50bht from you?

Banks!

You invented the cashcard idea Ultimate.

Please!

I wrote, "I really hate that read it again stuff or people who list a post number.

Kurnell originally said "I've been short changed twice by banks. Reform begins at the bottom, but nobody is willing to be the first" <--- Re-Read that - He said BANKS!!

The thread started to be about food courts and prepaid cards vs cash.... but changed to a discussion about girls in Tesco short changing customers and then Kurnell saying he'd been short changed twice by banks.

Kurnell was NOT talking about food courts.

Kurnell originally said "I've been short changed twice by banks. Reform begins at the bottom, but nobody is willing to be the first" <--- Re-Read that - He said BANKS!!

The thread started to be about food courts and prepaid cards vs cash.... but changed to a discussion about girls in Tesco short changing customers and then Kurnell saying he'd been short changed twice by banks.

Kurnell was NOT talking about food courts.

What's the difference? A cashier gives you money that shows up on a screen or receipt. You'd have to be a loon to get short changed in either a bank or a food court, if you get my meaning. 20 Baht. And the cashier gives you 10 baht back. See what I'm saying. I realize modern education is not what it used to be but no addition or subtraction needed. You just look at the screen or your receipt.

BTW I think you are the third person who has told me Kurnell was not talking about a food court. Maybe read the thread next time?

Most establishments large enough to have a food court also tend to have real street vendors in a backside alley to cater to employees. These vendors take only cash and tend to have far better Thai food.

whistling.gif As explained above.

Most of the stalls in the food court are renting the space from the food court.

By requiring cards the food court can:

• have a record of each shop and the amount they sell. This is how the food court knows what they should pay the food court. Often it is a set percentage of their food sales.
  • And it keeps the stall owners from handling (and possibly stealing) cash from the customers.
  • Then finally, it gives the food court a record for the Thai tax people of what the food court turnover and tax obligation is.

wai.gif

Christ! This is one of the dumbest questions I've seen here ever! Why would there be more of a problem? Whether a card or coupons, the central database keeps track of all monies exchanged, seems much more efficient than many Western Nations & the same goes with at least all the International Hospitals but also a lot of University Hospitals as well.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I was glad. Washing your hands after handling money is a good idea. According to the food safety standards in the food code, food service workers must wash their hands after engaging in any activity that may have contaminated their hands.

I remember being warned not to put money in my mouth as a child. As the saying went, “You don’t know where that money has been.”

Touching money and then eating a sandwich with unwashed hands is kind of like putting money in your mouth. Unless you wash your hands, you could be transferring organisms from the money to your hands to the food.

Please see: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/columns/prairie-fare/prairie-fare-dirty-money-prompts-need-to-wash-hands/

I was glad. Washing your hands after handling money is a good idea. According to the food safety standards in the food code, food service workers must wash their hands after engaging in any activity that may have contaminated their hands.

I remember being warned not to put money in my mouth as a child. As the saying went, “You don’t know where that money has been.”

Touching money and then eating a sandwich with unwashed hands is kind of like putting money in your mouth. Unless you wash your hands, you could be transferring organisms from the money to your hands to the food.

Please see: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/news/columns/prairie-fare/prairie-fare-dirty-money-prompts-need-to-wash-hands/

Very true, but if this was made law here, what would happen to all the food carts.

It is the Thai Way of trying to keep everyone honest. This way you only have one set of hands in the pie and not 40.

If you don't use up all your cash card, and are too lazy after you eat to line up to cash it in for the extra 10 Baht, well, bonus for them I guess.

50 baht from 10 customers is a days wage.....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It also pays to check restaurant bills to make sure they haven't accidentally or more likely deliberately charged you for things you didn't order. Also make sure the change is correct. Deliberate overcharging is quite common, not only in Thailand. I was recently charged an extra lunch for two at a hotel in Nadi, Fiji and from the way it got quickly rectified when I pointed it out I got the distinct impression that it wasn't an accident. I was also grossly shortchanged when I paid for a meal with friends - this was in Thailand and I wasn't switched on enough to realise it immediately so had to let it go.

I guess a bit of extra money means a lot to people in these places and the amounts are such that we don't really miss them even if we do get diddled, but I guess we still don't appreciate being deceived.

Edited by sugarcane24

I agree with those who said that it keeps workers from pocketing cash, and keeps the booth owners honest in reporting sales to the food court owner who gets a percentage of gross sales.

Additionally, if you forget to turn in unused coupons on the day of purchase, you've lost your money and the food court keeps it! How nice for them.

While the comments that cooks shouldn't be handling germ laden cash are correct, does anybody really think that such sanitation issues are priorities in the Land of Smiles? (Can't help smiling if you do!)