Why do thai food courts require cash cards and not direct payment?

ultimate weapon

I agree with those who said that it keeps workers from pocketing cash, and keeps the booth owners honest in reporting sales to the food court owner who gets a percentage of gross sales.

Additionally, if you forget to turn in unused coupons on the day of purchase, you've lost your money and the food court keeps it! How nice for them.

While the comments that cooks shouldn't be handling germ laden cash are correct, does anybody really think that such sanitation issues are priorities in the Land of Smiles? (Can't help smiling if you do!)

Not true. I've used food court cards in the next couple of days at both Lotus food courts and the Carrefour when Carrefour owned it. Ask the cashier what the policy is before you assume only one day.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I agree with those who said that it keeps workers from pocketing cash, and keeps the booth owners honest in reporting sales to the food court owner who gets a percentage of gross sales.

Additionally, if you forget to turn in unused coupons on the day of purchase, you've lost your money and the food court keeps it! How nice for them.

While the comments that cooks shouldn't be handling germ laden cash are correct, does anybody really think that such sanitation issues are priorities in the Land of Smiles? (Can't help smiling if you do!)

Not true. I've used food court cards in the next couple of days at both Lotus food courts and the Carrefour when Carrefour owned it. Ask the cashier what the policy is before you assume only one day.

Aren't the words written on the back of the card?

if anyone thinks that food prep is better in other countries then u obviuosly dont work in food/drink venues.

ive been in a million kitches, trust me, i close my eyes and pretend that i dont know what is going on in the back, and just eat. from a very prestigious restatraunt here that used to wash the meat and reuse in the next meal (chinese restaraunt), to basics like using the same cutting board for veggies and dairy cheeses and breads, to stupid things like us not being able to use straw baskets for bread (its prettier) but when health people come around (its never ever a real surprise, there's always some warning in time to change over) moving all the bread to plastic washable containers, to dish washers not using soap or hto water, cause it broke down and too much money to be fixed so in teh interim keeps using cold water and little detergent, to dishes being hand wshed by refugee underpaid untrained employees because the dishwasher machine is broken, to a million and one other things...

for every reg made, there is a way to go around it... i can quote a chef here telling me about his restaraunt when we discussed who washes the toilets? the waiters. why would a reastaruant emply someone just to stand around and wash s bathroom occasionally, so the waiters do it.

and im talking about major restaraunt in major city with a good reputation. in my husband's place of employment he washes all the dishes and utensils including all the fishy ones with the veggie ones (sushi and asian fast food) by hand, the dish washer broke down a year ago. and in most countries im sure there are not that many health dept. officials that can actually take more then an hour or two so they chekc 5degree cel. in fridge for dairy, hot water cold water sinks, stainless steel area. soap for washing ahnds, baskets and untensils that they can see, no one will look in the back shelves... make sure shelves are metal not wood, and a few other things, then they have to go on to the next place.

no connectin to the cash/vs card thing... which btw i think i sa nifty idea too bad they dont have it here, since noone here can make change either even if the register tells u how much (and i am just as guilty when i have to do things fast, the coins mix up or i miss count when there is volume for small items like lattes) (i work in a hotel, reservations, but we also make coffee, prepare food, clean when neccessary etc.)

hijacked the tthread but jsut thought that if people think that it is different in other coutries then u dont work in the business.

It is also a food hygiene issue. Food handlers should not be handling/keeping money in food preparation area. In a restaurant kitchen is separated.

Well considering the usual food hygiene issues in Thailand I doubt that it was the real reason for it.

Edit: In Vienna where food hygiene is excellent are small shops that sell hot sausage or Pizza or Kebab on the street and they of course take cash money.

Dirty money? Check your wallet

(CNN) -- If you thought dirty money was only found in offshore bank accounts, check your wallet instead. But you may want to wash your hands afterward.

Almost 60% of Europeans believe cash is the dirtiest item they come into contact with, ahead of escalator handrails, buttons on payment terminals and library books, according to a survey of 1,000 people released on March 25 by Mastercard.

A further 83% of the respondents, taken from 15 countries across Europe, believe cash carries a lot of bacteria. And they are right.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/28/business/dirty-money/

130326231147-qmb-quest-dirty-money-bacte

Edited by Suradit69

What do you mean "Thai food courts"?

The food courts in Singapore are primarily "direct-pay" rather than pre- (stored value card or coupons) or post-paid (accumulated value card, which is cashed out).

Some say that the lease-holder retains a portion of the daily gross revenue to cover the current month's rent.

In my country you just pay cash direct to the seller.

So the assumption is that everything done in your country must be the best way to do it?

I've only waited for somebody to say this. With no word he said anything like that, he just asked why it's different from what he's used to. Anything wrong with asking how things work? Oh, right, I forgot, we're in Thailand...

So the assumption is that everything done in your country must be the best way to do it?

I've only waited for somebody to say this. With no word he said anything like that, he just asked why it's different from what he's used to. Anything wrong with asking how things work? Oh, right, I forgot, we're in Thailand...

He said, "In my country you just pay cash direct to the seller. I wonder is it due to some problem?" He is asking if there is a problem in Thailand that makes it different than his country (the holy grail of doing things right).

He didn't say or imply different. He wrote, "problem." You said different. He said problem. Different and problem are not the same word.

He said, "In my country you just pay cash direct to the seller. I wonder is it due to some problem?" He is asking if there is a problem in Thailand that makes it different than his country (the holy grail of doing things right).

He didn't say or imply different. He wrote, "problem." You said different. He said problem. Different and problem are not the same word.

Still far from implying that the way they do it in his country is the better way. He just expessed an assumption, that's it. You Thai apologist just bend the facts and try to make everyone look like a whining idiot. It is only natural to compare new things to the things you are used to.

Edited by kandi
  • Like 1

Still far from implying that the way they do it in his country is the better way. He just expessed an assumption, that's it. You Thai apologist just bend the facts and try to make everyone look like a whining idiot. It is only natural to compare new things to the things you are used to.

I think the food court credit card is not a problem. I think it is an example of a system that is better than the West.

I hardly think a plastic card is controversial. I think bum guns are better than toilet paper. Many things in Thailand are better than the West. That's why I live here.

When I lived in the West I found myself complaining about little things. I realized I didn't like the place and I moved to Thailand.

A credit card in a food court is really a small thing. Travel is normally a broadening experience because things are different in different cultures. Vive la différence. To some that is a positive.

The food courts in Singapore are primarily "direct-pay" rather than pre- (stored value card or coupons) or post-paid (accumulated value card, which is cashed out).

Some say that the lease-holder retains a portion of the daily gross revenue to cover the current month's rent.

The food courts in Singapore are mostly the same as Thailand, you buy a stored value card and keep topping up when the money runs out, the card can be used for two years, kopitiam, a big player, has food courts in most places, even the airport, the have their own card and machines that allow you to top up the card when you need to add more money to it.

All direct pay system is only found at hawker centers not food courts which are normally air-con, hawker centers are not air-con.

You can pay with cash at the food courts also, but if you use the card you get a 10% discount on the order.

Edited by Cobragold

Because the store wants it that way... The store owner collects all the money and then subtracts their percentage and then releases to the actual vendors selling the food a month later....

You don't think the store owners actually trust the food sellers enough to let them control the money and then give the store owners their percentage owed , do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The food courts in Singapore are mostly the same as Thailand, you buy a stored value card and keep topping up when the money runs out, the card can be used for two years, kopitiam, a big player, has food courts in most places, even the airport, the have their own card and machines that allow you to top up the card when you need to add more money to it.

All direct pay system is only found at hawker centers not food courts which are normally air-con, hawker centers are not air-con.

You can pay with cash at the food courts also, but if you use the card you get a 10% discount on the order.

yes kopitiam allows cards but u can pay by cash too.

It's all about hygiene factors. Touching money with the same hand touching the food.. no thanks. I love this way of food courts, where we need to pay with cards.

And those plastic cads are sterile, I guess?

I use em to scrape excess oil off my forehead.

It's all about hygiene factors. Touching money with the same hand touching the food.. no thanks. I love this way of food courts, where we need to pay with cards.

And those plastic cads are sterile, I guess?

I use em to scrape excess oil off my forehead.

sometimes when my hands are full i keep mine squeezed tightly between my cheeks .........until i bring it back to refund

I think the food court credit card is not a problem. I think it is an example of a system that is better than the West.

I hardly think a plastic card is controversial. I think bum guns are better than toilet paper. Many things in Thailand are better than the West. That's why I live here.

When I lived in the West I found myself complaining about little things. I realized I didn't like the place and I moved to Thailand.

A credit card in a food court is really a small thing. Travel is normally a broadening experience because things are different in different cultures. Vive la différence. To some that is a positive.

You still REFUSE to get it, don't you? With no single word he ever said that plastic cards are a "problem". He just assumed that it may be CAUSED by a problem of any kind (problem with hygiene, for example). All he wanted to know is WHY they do things here the way they do. And I think this is totally fine. Is that so hard for you to understand?

But anyway, we're not supposed to drift away, so let this be my last reply to the posts of your kind.

You still REFUSE to get it, don't you? With no single word he ever said that plastic cards are a "problem". He just assumed that it may be CAUSED by a problem of any kind (problem with hygiene, for example). All he wanted to know is WHY they do things here the way they do. And I think this is totally fine. Is that so hard for you to understand?

But anyway, we're not supposed to drift away, so let this be my last reply to the posts of your kind.

The OP said, "I wonder is it due to some problem?" That means in English. I wonder if it's due to some problem in Thailand. So lets see if you can resist not getting the last word?

• 3 weeks later...

The OP said, "I wonder is it due to some problem?" That means in English. I wonder if it's due to some problem in Thailand. So lets see if you can resist not getting the last word?

yes i was wondering was it due to some issue i didn't mean that it's a bad thing but was merely asking if there was a reason why they adopted such a system

Here's another cash card. This design looks better than the tesco one

P4Fdjk7h.jpg

0ZyuD1ch.jpg

I havent read the full thread above As it seems to have lost the plot.

The foid courts usually take around 30% flat rate from sales. No rent payable. So the card makes it very easy to calculate and manage cash

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 years later...

Why do some shops in the food court only accepts cash, for example, some of the ones next to TOPs on the bottom floor of Central Plaza Praram 9?

Also I was short changed 150 baht at Kamu boba in that food court. I checked right away just 1 step to the side but was too chicken without the needed language skills to ask.

5 minutes ago, phungo said:

Why do some shops in the food court only accepts cash, for example, some of the ones next to TOPs on the bottom floor of Central Plaza Praram 9?

Also I was short changed 150 baht at Kamu boba in that food court. I checked right away just 1 step to the side but was too chicken without the needed language skills to ask.

it is a pity that those links down the Right side of the page,

lead to old (5yrs since last Posted into  Threads) 

Be great if they were instead showing current trends topics instead... of this dredging up the old stuff from the gutter

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tifino said:

it is a pity that those links down the Right side of the page,

lead to old (5yrs since last Posted into  Threads) 

Be great if they were instead showing current trends topics instead... of this dredging up the old stuff from the gutter

Would be better if new posters did not try and resurrect 5 year old threads........(how did they even find it - rhetorical question........)

Why not start a new one

On 4/19/2014 at 12:00 PM, lopburi3 said:

It is also a food hygiene issue. Food handlers should not be handling/keeping money in food preparation area. In a restaurant kitchen is separated.

what about their hands, where can they keep them after a <deleted>.

Thais seem to be very into processes and procedures. Certainly more so than in the US. The food cards are an example. Not that it’s a bad thing. We are on vacation here and I had a flare up
of an allergy and had to go to the hospital. The hospital was very busy but they moved me through their various processes and regimented quite quickly and I saw a doc within an hour. As I knew the cause he prescribed me the appropriate medicine and I was in and out for under $10 US with my prescription that costs me over $50 in the US with insurance!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Guy's y'all need to get off the tunnel vision lol. It's not only about hygiene, it's also about efficiency, It's much faster swiping a card than frumbling with cash, jk. Most Thais need a calculator to abstract the change.... U know when I give a 100baht note for a 50 baht dish, they still need the calculator before they can give me back 50baht. Time-efficiency, people, Time efficiency.

Then a credit/debit card should work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app