Red Lion And O Malleys

mistymateasia68

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why does no one ever mention these two great pubs in cnx

Well the Red Lion as a pub is an abject failure on account it has no atmosphere what so ever, and O'Malley's has staff with an "attitude" problem, although the food isn't too bad. Does that answer your questions? :o

Thoroughly agree MM. The Red Lion really could be a focal point but it to me is completely devoid of atmosphere. O'Malleys I went to twice six months apart and ran into the same staff attitude. There won't be a third time. Shame really as both are so well positioned.

Finally got to the Number 1 bar on LK Tuesday and to me that is what a bar should be like.

Thoroughly agree MM. The Red Lion really could be a focal point but it to me is completely devoid of atmosphere. O'Malleys I went to twice six months apart and ran into the same staff attitude. There won't be a third time. Shame really as both are so well positioned.

Finally got to the Number 1 bar on LK Tuesday and to me that is what a bar should be like.

has Number 1 have live sports? And is it the bar on the corner of Loy Khroy?

I am always on about these 2 and make a point of visiting when in town.

Usually stay at The Dun 2 Wan round the corner so can stagger back in a couple of minutes,assuming the beer wagons have gone home..

Chiangers at 2-00am is sooo cool and quiet at that time. :o

Anyway the owner of the Red is a Scouser and I have always found OK for a bit of chit chat and up to date info...and while I agree the the wee burd in O"Ms is a bit brief at times I again have always found her pleasant and friendly :D .....Pinta-lager-hen........

Went to O'Malleys once - and didn't even stay for a drink they were so rude.

The last time I was there, and I mean the last time, I waited 10 minutes to be served, and when they finally got round to me (they were not that busy) I said that I had changed my mind thanks, and left.

Rose has just got just plain rude since she left Haus Munchen, and her sidekick Pie is going the same way. Mam just has her head up her arse period. Untill there is a major change in both attitude and staff, I will spend my money elsewhere.

I think this is my cue to tell again about the great staff at Queen Victoria Inn and the relared place (Club House?) on Loi Kroh.

Not saying these are 100% perfect, but in some areas they're among the best in Chiang Mai.

That said, I once walked into O'Malleys in the afternoon, and staff were very friendly and helpful. (Chances are though there's a day and a night shift)

I think this is my cue to tell again about the great staff at Queen Victoria Inn and the relared place (Club House?) on Loi Kroh.

Not saying these are 100% perfect, but in some areas they're among the best in Chiang Mai.

I always enjoyed them when they all used to work at The Saloon! :o

Only some UG Don't exagerate. I know six of the staff there that have never worked in your crumby Saloon. Try not to tell porkies in your posts just for the sake of it. Some people might actually take you seriously.

Only some UG Don't exagerate. I know six of the staff there that have never worked in your crumby Saloon. Try not to tell porkies in your posts just for the sake of it. Some people might actually take you seriously.

I have nothing to do with the Saloon, other than eating there once in a while.

However, it's nice to know that some of the Queen Vic and Club House staff came from other places.

Every time that I walk by the Club House the staff all yell out, "Remember us from the Saloon", so I guess I got confused.

Always did like them. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

The last time I was there, and I mean the last time, I waited 10 minutes to be served, and when they finally got round to me (they were not that busy) I said that I had changed my mind thanks, and left.

Rose has just got just plain rude since she left Haus Munchen, and her sidekick Pie is going the same way. Mam just has her head up her arse period. Untill there is a major change in both attitude and staff, I will spend my money elsewhere.

MM please dont beat around the bush and tell us how you feel about OMalleys :o

Lovely Gells one and all...........................

went in there tonight.

The lady in the middle of the photo graduated from sutton coldfield bouncers school for ladies. Toss the boss. This jug eared siren needs an elementary kick up the toot.

:D:D:D So where are the CM babes and a cold beer? Red Lion doesn't have any babes only cold beer and above average food. Comfortable to relax and enjoy some beers after some walking around the market. :D

What about those other two [sIGH.......] in the photo? O Malleys girls? still working or unknown? Drop by for a snack :o

:D

Guest endure

The last time I was there, and I mean the last time, I waited 10 minutes to be served,

In a far distant time I used to travel round the world. One night I finished up in a restaurant in Hamburg. I sat there reading my book waiting to be served. After about 10 minutes a waitress came over to my table and said, in English, "you're English, aren't you"? I replied "yes, how did you know"? She told me that if I'd been German and had been forced to wait 10 minutes to be served I'd had destroyed the restaurant around me - which just goes to show that jai yen yen isn't confined to Khon Thai :o

I had been less than impressed with O'Mallys.. and vowed I would never set foot in the place again

Then last year my mate invited me for Christmas Day Lunch there... (he had already booked it for 14 people so there was not much I could do about it...if I wanted to share Xmas dinner with some friends)

I have to say the food was very good..and the service was not slow.

I don't know this improvement is permanant as I have not been back since...but it's a step in the right direction.

TP

Well the Red Lion as a pub is an abject failure on account it has no atmosphere what so ever, and O'Malley's has staff with an "attitude" problem, although the food isn't too bad. Does that answer your questions? :o

Never known such a miserable bunch of bar staff in the Red Lion; the Thai geezer could do with a right kick up the jacksy for a start and the old Thai bird is misery personified - could also do with a good refurb. O'Malleys is defo a notch up but a bit false.

The only times I use O'Malleys was when we would come into town to eat at the seafood restaurant in Anusarn market, the one that was immediately opposite their front door, however that place has been sold up. It looks like I will not be venturing in there for a while.

I can fully understand the posters opinions of the staff there, though saying that I feel that the owner/manager should be able to see whats happening and how the staff talk/treat the customers, surely it is down to him to sort them out if he wants a successful buisness, (personally I would be down there making sure the customers were happy).

The only times I use O'Malleys was when we would come into town to eat at the seafood restaurant in Anusarn market, the one that was immediately opposite their front door, however that place has been sold up. It looks like I will not be venturing in there for a while.

I can fully understand the posters opinions of the staff there, though saying that I feel that the owner/manager should be able to see whats happening and how the staff talk/treat the customers, surely it is down to him to sort them out if he wants a successful buisness, (personally I would be down there making sure the customers were happy).

Perhaps the staff at O'Malley's learnt the fine art of being little turds from their Canadian boss Scott.

Never known such a miserable bunch of bar staff in the Red Lion; the Thai geezer could do with a right kick up the jacksy for a start and the old Thai bird is misery personified - could also do with a good refurb. O'Malleys is defo a notch up but a bit false.

totally agree,the thai guy is such a miserable sod.i even stopped tipping there because of this.he never speaks when ordering of when i check the bill.apart from that the place is ok for a quiet drink now and again.and the scouse owner is a fine enough chap.quite a popular place at night,especially when english football is on.good location

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

> Where has the most beautiful staff you have ever seen in CM?

Not any of the Western oriented places for sure.. I guess that award would go to one of the bigger Thai pub/restos.

(However I'll take friendlyness and good service over beauty any day when visiting a pub or restaurant. :o )

Cheers,

Chanchao

Where has the most beautiful staff you have ever seen in CM? :o

Goodview was quite good the night we went, a few months back. Sexy wee things shaking cocktails in tight outfits; the true definition of "Goodview" IMHO !! :D But there was a problem with the large Singha beer towerjugs at our table, the beer disappeared too quickly. :D

ps Chanchao, they were very friendly too :D

Perhaps the staff at O'Malley's learnt the fine art of being little turds from their Canadian boss Scott

I couldn't possibly comment on that!!!!!!!!!!

Though I have seen him in there on several occasions, I have never had him say as much as good evening/day to me. As I said earlier though, if thats the way he wants to run his buisness then so be it. I doubt he will have my custom again though.

How does The Pub rate in all of this, I find it friendly, nice lasses behind the bar and good food. Mine hosts is a sociable guy who seems to have his punters best interests at heart. Car parking aplenty and then as a bonus there's Dot and Tom!! What more can be asked for.....the World Cup with English commentary? Yes, there's that also! That's another pint Grahame!!

YOS

Edited by yeoldesage