Red Lion And O Malleys

mistymateasia68

What ever happened to Allen from Perth who used to run the Overlander Bar on Moon Muang Road about 15 years ago?

He was a true Ozzie gentleman. :D

I don't know whether you're taking the piss but Alan could never have been described as a gentleman. The town drunk has to be a lot closer to the mark.

Allen was a bit of a pisshead but generally pretty harmless. He came from a very well to do family in Perth. Furriers.

Talking about Australian gentlemen, has anyone seen or heard of the guy who was involved in the

Escape with Irish Eddie about 8 or 9 years ago?

Are you speaking of the ex Melbourne copper. ??

He's never too far away. Was in town a couple of weeks back actually.

A real nice guy. Although he comes from Australia his roots are in Chiang Mai. :o

Rumour has it that he met and married an Indonesian princess and lives there in the mountains of West Java. Comes back to Chiang Mai on a regular basis to visit his daughter and catch up with the mates. :D

:D:D

Of course you went out with him for a few drinks when he was in Chiang Mai :D

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What ever happened to Allen from Perth who used to run the Overlander Bar on Moon Muang Road about 15 years ago?

He was a true Ozzie gentleman. :D

I don't know whether you're taking the piss but Alan could never have been described as a gentleman. The town drunk has to be a lot closer to the mark.

Allen was a bit of a pisshead but generally pretty harmless. He came from a very well to do family in Perth. Furriers.

Talking about Australian gentlemen, has anyone seen or heard of the guy who was involved in the

Escape with Irish Eddie about 8 or 9 years ago?

Are you speaking of the ex Melbourne copper. ??

He's never too far away. Was in town a couple of weeks back actually.

A real nice guy. Although he comes from Australia his roots are in Chiang Mai. :D

Rumour has it that he met and married an Indonesian princess and lives there in the mountains of West Java. Comes back to Chiang Mai on a regular basis to visit his daughter and catch up with the mates. :D

:D:D

Of course you went out with him for a few drinks when he was in Chiang Mai :D

As a matter of fact Lampoon I did catch up with him for a few drinks most nights. He is a really nice guy. Pity he decided to settle in Indonesia. Chiang Mai needs a few more gentlemen like him. At least he comes back regularly to grace us with his presence. :o

As a matter of fact Lampoon I did catch up with him for a few drinks most nights. He is a really nice guy. Pity he decided to settle in Indonesia. Chiang Mai needs a few more gentlemen like him. At least he comes back regularly to grace us with his presence. :o

I ran into him, too, and I agree on all counts.

I guess that keeping the Princess of Indonesia satisfied must take up a lot of his time. :D

I suppose but I made friends with the staff there which is why I have company even if I go alone. It can get busy at times though - especially on the pool competition night...

Far better when Yoshie ran it as the "Voodoo Lounge" not that was raw excitement every night :D

However, times change :o

Is that before he drove his car through it ?? F**kwit he is, i remember going to help him and his girl in a pretty bad car crash one night (many moons ago) only to have the <deleted> try and king-hit me for helping him... So i told a young bad-dude Thai guy at the scene that Yoshi said he looked like a poof (in Thai).. Then i "fled the scene".. God bless you Yoshi, probably the biggest <deleted> in Chiangmai....

I remember the Voodoo Lounge and Yoshi. Kind of a swarthy charachter. The first time I met him, he had a black eye. He was always arguing with his Thai wife and sometimes it got physical. And I do remember walking by one day and seeing that truck parked right in the middle of the bar. Is he still in Chiangmai?

I guess that keeping the Princess of Indonesia satisfied must take up a lot of his time. :D

Absolutely correct UG. He tells me that when he is back at the 'Istana' the Indonesian Princess keeps him fully occupied in satisfying her so he is glad to get away to have a breather every now and again.

His not so young daughter here is an absolute beauty and he informs me that he will have to start spending a little more time in Chiang Mai to deter any amorous suitors. I wouldn't like to be around if he gets hold of any of them.

Absolutely correct UG. He tells me that when he is back at the 'Istana' the Indonesian Princess keeps him fully occupied in satisfying her so he is glad to get away to have a breather every now and again.

His not so young daughter here is an absolute beauty and he informs me that he will have to start spending a little more time in Chiang Mai to deter any amorous suitors. I wouldn't like to be around if he gets hold of any of them.

he he I'm interested to see how long you can keep this up.

As to the mysterious Aussie he tells me he's a spent "force" (geddit) and he'd have to put wheels on his zimmer to keep up with the young lads. :D

As to the mysterious Aussie he tells me he's a spent "force" (geddit) and he'd have to put wheels on his zimmer to keep up with the young lads. :D

:o:D Definately a spent unit, he didn't even buy me a beer either :D

:o:D Definately a spent unit, he didn't even buy me a beer either :D

Now I am totally confused. Is this "Mysterious Aussie" the same Australian gentleman that I was enquiring about earlier? The one that was in partnership with Eddie the Irishman at the Escape some time ago? I have forgotten his name but I do remember he had a daughter back then who was 5 or 6 years old, I suppose she would be about 14 to 15 now. He used to ride a large japanese motorcycle.

Now I am totally confused. Is this "Mysterious Aussie" the same Australian gentleman that I was enquiring about earlier? The one that was in partnership with Eddie the Irishman at the Escape some time ago? I have forgotten his name but I do remember he had a daughter back then who was 5 or 6 years old, I suppose she would be about 14 to 15 now. He used to ride a large japanese motorcycle.

I don't think he was in partnership with Eddie, who had fled the scene a couple of ownership changes earlier, as I recall, allegedly before some Chinese mafia types from whom he borrowed money got ahold of him.

This large Aussie gentleman (and that he is when not too drunk) bought in later. Is he still taking photos in Indonesia?

I don't think he was in partnership with Eddie, who had fled the scene a couple of ownership changes earlier, as I recall, allegedly before some Chinese mafia types from whom he borrowed money got ahold of him.

This large Aussie gentleman (and that he is when not too drunk) bought in later. Is he still taking photos in Indonesia?

I liked Eddie, a friend and a true roll model..... Why he taught me all about the new math..... that there were 5 halfs in a whole....

The other big guy from the Escape Eddie story, the big pie man from Cornball , someplace in UK. Where is he these days? Last I heard he was teaching farming in India or somewhere.

:o always do that for the big guys...

I liked Eddie, a friend and a true roll model..... Why he taught me all about the new math..... that there were 5 halfs in a whole....

The other big guy from the Escape Eddie story, the big pie man from Cornball , someplace in UK. Where is he these days? Last I heard he was teaching farming in India or somewhere.

Eddie from Nothern Ireland was a crook but a very likeable one, jailhouse tattoos and a few scars from bullet wounds. Amoungst other scams he used to run a few illegal clubs in the UK.

At The Escape he was in partnership first with a youngish, gullible Swiss guy. Eddie conned him out of a lot of money by promising to market a 'Skin Whitening Cream' that was developed by his family back in Switzerland. Eddie didn't market the product at all but just kept talking, which he did very well and taking money from the guy.

Then the big "Mysterious Aussie" bought in for a year or 2. During this time whilst the "Mysterious Aussie" was away on business Eddie "borrowed" a considerable sum of money from a very good hearted Kiwi but unbeknowns to him Eddie had no intention of paying back the money. Eddie was having trouble with the law due to a number of illegal ops that he was involved in and did a runner to Pattaya where he is now. So the Kiwi, by default became a partner, he never had any intention of buying or being involved in the Escape. He was another of Eddies many victims.

The "Mysterious Aussie" managed to sell the Escape to a French Canadian businessman (a great guy who sadly has since passed away), he purchased it for his Thai wife and her sister. They weren't interested in running the place.

Then along came Jeremy the Sabai Pie man who had been a faithful customer for a number of years. He did his best to keep the place running and somehow he eventually managed to sell the place to American Bill (some say Bill was amongst some other buyers, but who cares).

Bill moved the business across the road and ran it into the ground. I remember being in the new location once when the cook (not good old Cookie who now works at the Maddog) was chasing the waitress amoungst the tables with a big knife. Not good for business. In the end The Escape had no customers and was closed permanently. The place is no longer........The Escape is history.

As for Eddie, he is in Pattaya and was quite ill needing heart surgery. I find this hard to believe because the rogue doesn't have a heart.

The Swiss guy is long gone. The 'Skin Whitening Cream' never got sold.

The Kiwi is still doing what he always did. Making holes in the ground and doing it very well.

The "Mysterious Aussie" is married to an Indonesian Princess and is living in West Java. He told me that he once visited Eddie in Pattaya with the intention of beating the shit out of him but couldn't do it because Eddie is such a likeable little turd. He is seen regularly in Chiang Mai.

The French Canadian businessman is still dead and his wife and their daughter are living in Canada.

Jeremy is working as a consultant in Vietnam and comes back to CM regularly. His wife still supplies Chiang Mai with the famous Sabai Pie pastries.

Bill is gone................. :D

Edited by Blinky Bill

Eddie from Nothern Ireland was a crook but a very likeable one, jailhouse tattoos and a few scars from bullet wounds. Amoungst other scams he used to run a few illegal clubs in the UK.

At The Escape he was in partnership first with a youngish, gullible Swiss guy. Eddie conned him out of a lot of money by promising to market a 'Skin Whitening Cream' that was developed by his family back in Switzerland. Eddie didn't market the product at all but just kept talking, which he did very well and taking money from the guy.

Then the big "Mysterious Aussie" bought in for a year or 2. During this time whilst the "Mysterious Aussie" was away on business Eddie "borrowed" a considerable sum of money from a very good hearted Kiwi but unbeknowns to him Eddie had no intention of paying back the money. Eddie was having trouble with the law due to a number of illegal ops that he was involved in and did a runner to Pattaya where he is now. So the Kiwi, by default became a partner, he never had any intention of buying or being involved in the Escape. He was another of Eddies many victims.

The "Mysterious Aussie" managed to sell the Escape to a French Canadian businessman (a great guy who sadly has since passed away), he purchased it for his Thai wife and her sister. They weren't interested in running the place.

Then along came Jeremy the Sabai Pie man who had been a faithful customer for a number of years. He did his best to keep the place running and somehow he eventually managed to sell the place to American Bill (some say Bill was amongst some other buyers, but who cares).

Bill moved the business across the road and ran it into the ground. I remember being in the new location once when the cook (not good old Cookie who now works at the Maddog) was chasing the waitress amoungst the tables with a big knife. Not good for business. In the end The Escape had no customers and was closed permanently. The place is no longer........The Escape is history.

As for Eddie, he is in Pattaya and was quite ill needing heart surgery. I find this hard to believe because the rogue doesn't have a heart.

The Swiss guy is long gone. The 'Skin Whitening Cream' never got sold.

The Kiwi is still doing what he always did. Making holes in the ground and doing it very well.

The "Mysterious Aussie" is married to an Indonesian Princess and is living in West Java. He told me that he once visited Eddie in Pattaya with the intention of beating the shit out of him but couldn't do it because Eddie is such a likeable little turd. He is seen regularly in Chiang Mai.

The French Canadian businessman is still dead and his wife and their daughter are living in Canada.

Jeremy is working as a consultant in Vietnam and comes back to CM regularly. His wife still supplies Chiang Mai with the famous Sabai Pie pastries.

Bill is gone................. :D

Cripes Blinkey Bill, you certainly do know a lot about that Mysterious Aussie "Gentleman". You almost made my eyes water with that wonderful history of the Escape, but not even a mention of that superb wench "Giab" - who could you forget that fine treacherous woman? (Not me.)

Now you seem so knowledgeable, so to hel_l with the Red Lion / O'Malleys title, do you know anything about MaeJo Man getting thumped in the Bar Beer centre one night (& reciprocating rather well?)

[

Cripes Blinkey Bill, you certainly do know a lot about that Mysterious Aussie "Gentleman". You almost made my eyes water with that wonderful history of the Escape, but not even a mention of that superb wench "Giab" - who could you forget that fine treacherous woman? (Not me.)

Now you seem so knowledgeable, so to hel_l with the Red Lion / O'Malleys title, do you know anything about MaeJo Man getting thumped in the Bar Beer centre one night (& reciprocating rather well?)

I have vague memories from many years ago, when I was in the company of these two fine Chiang Mai expats at the Bar Barian Centre, there was a friendly tap or two exchanged between the "Mysterious Aussie" and Maejo Man. The "Mysterious Aussie" gave MM a bit of a smack and immediately got one back. But the "Mysterious Aussie", being the gentleman that he was and still is, thought better than to lay into his mate. Both full of piss and bad manners.

That's why I like the "Mysterious Aussie" so much. He is such a gentleman and knows when to pull out.

Wasn't she involved with a rather well-known motorcycle celebrity? :o

Thanks a lot for the brief history of the Escape Blinky Bill. I would really like to catch up with the "Mysterious Aussie", I still can't think of his name, and Jeremy. Had some good times with both of them. If either of you read this could you please PM me. It would be great to have a few beers and talk about the old daze.

Back on the topic of good pubs - what about the Drunken Flower on Nimmehemin Road?

I thought this thread was only about 2 pubs.

The Red Lion & O'Mally's

Is that right?

Those 2 Pubs, the Red Lion & O'Malleys - dont personally particularly like either of them & never go there. But each to his own, whatever turns you on.....

And the way this thread has developed it's better "here."

Without any relation to this thread, my wife and I had dinner at the Red Lion last night. The pepper steak and fish and chips we had were perfect in every respect, the Kilkenney beer, on tap, was delicious and cool, but not, thankfully, chilled. The staff were not at all warm at first, but as we got to know our waitress a little better, she became quite friendly and helpful, even offering an extra helping of salad for free at the end. Based on ...Ken's recent advice on another thread about tipping, I gave a nice tip at the end and made a point of handing it to her directly. We'll see what effect that may have the next time we go. And there will be a next time.

Nice story :D ...just proves a little goes a long way when it comes to tipping, give us all an update when you go next time.

Here's the update you requested, TP. On the question of tipping, and what it might have achieved, the result was mixed. The waitress we tipped the last time, who I have no better way of describing other than to say that she is a bit older and fleshier than the other one we saw, was very warm and welcoming, and spoke to us at some length about some farang friends of hers. However, she ended up not having that much to do with us after that, maybe because of where we were sitting, whatever.

We got served and attended to by several different people, and there was no particular person who clearly fell into a category of deserving a tip (assuming for this purpose that anyone ever falls into that category here.) I did notice another waitress there, though. I remembered her being there the first time too. The first time she seemed sour and closed off. This time I had the same impression, but also saw her as resenting the way she was considered by customers as they placed their orders, etc. I got it into my head that her sourness grew out of that. For fun, I decided to make a point of offering her a tip as I left, to surprise her and, who knows, maybe please her and throw a small wrench into her set of expectations, whatever. As she came rushing by after taking the orders of a table of about 8 people, I stood up, half in her way, and handed her a folded 20-baht note, with the words "For you".

It'll be fun to find out next time whether she has the same old sour face. :o

And there will be a next time, as I said before, but, but, but -- and this is very important! -- we will never order there again the lamb chops that we had this time! They were terrible! Thin, over cooked, small and tasteless! Ugh!!!

They do a pretty decent Long Island Iced Tea in The Red Lion..

Jeeze...I better drop everything and race straight down there :o

After you have enjoyed your Long Island Iced Tea Maejo please don't forget to block way of the waitress when she is busy to give her a 20 baht tip along with the words "For you", perhaps a raising of the eyebrows at the same time will help. I am sure the overwhelming generosity will be long remembered.