Am I crazy to move to Issan?

phinick

I have been building a house in a village in Sisaket, and plan to move there in a few months. There are no problems regarding the building process. (I was there a few months ago checking it out), and my bil who is head man in the village accounts for all expenses, etc. House is about 40K from Sisaket City, and I am also concerned about medical issues at my age. The question I have is this: Since I currently live in the U.S. in a large city with something to do 24 hrs per day, will I go crazy in a small village? I will have a farang style house with air cond, and all other comforts. I am in my late 60's and my reasoning is that I can live much better on my retirement income. My Thai wife and her kids have become very Americanized being here for 8 years, and willing to go, but not too enthused. My wife and I agreed to compromise and give it at least 6 months, and if we are not happy, to return to the U.S. Am I just looking for trouble, or does anyone even have an opinion? I am very interested in feedback.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP,

probably it is a wee bit late to inquire if you would like in a village mid of nowhere, when the house is almost ready?

I am sure if your wife isnt that keen to move back to Thailand/Isaan/village life it should be some sort of indication; usually thai girls prefer to stay in Thailand.

Maybe, just maybe, renting some place in a city for a while, and deciding for you after if you ready to move countryside would be beneficial, vs. jumping to the deep end of the pool.

But on the other hand, you will have a nice new house, and driving to the big city 40km's away isnt that big deal.

Will you be bored in general, after your current 24 hours to do something in the city? Yes. or more like YES!!!

• Like 2

Since I currently live in the U.S. in a large city with something to do 24 hrs per day, will I go crazy in a small village?

Not being a smart arse phinixk but why did you choose the village? especially if the wife wasnt that keen? (usually its the Mrs dictating walking distance to her family.)

Your not far from Ubon which with 200k people and a real city feel maybe would have been better suited? I for one couldnt contemplate ever living in my Mrs home village but could probably get by just fine in Ubon/Udon/KK etc

• Like 1

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I'm an American looking to build a house here in SiSaket.My wife has been in the U.S. for 5+ years and isn't exactly thrilled at the prospect of moving back to Thailand, especially Isaan. I'm in SiSaket now visiting for 3 weeks and laying the preliminary groundwork for moving here in a few years. I lived in Bangkok for 3 years about 8 years ago so I'm familiar with living in Thailand. Since you're American, I'm sure you're familiar with an American TV show called Green Acres. Keep that in mind. That's the difference between Bangkok and Isaan.

I went and talked to an Australian guy that's been living here in the village for a few years yesterday. Nice guy. Seems you can get decent internet access and there's a few TV options etc. out here. It seems one of the big things is making sure the Poo Yai Baan is cool with everything. They can make things easy, or really difficult. In our situation, the land my wife has is Sor Por Gor, which is land that doesn't have a proper chanote/title. So that raises some issues where we'll need the help of the poo yai baan as well.

Edited by daboyz1
  • Like 1

driving to the big city 40km's away isnt that big deal.

Sisaket isnt a big city, isnt even a big town!

i

True. If you want some good local advice, go speak to Frank. He's located near the Police Station in SSK at his small bar/restaurant called " Livin in the past". It's the longest running Farang place in town and he's a very knowledgable /helpful guy who has been in Isaan for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I’m living here in Sisaket, but in the city ( and it’s the provincial capital for those who write nonsense about this place) 40 km away could be in Rasi Salai.

You should have an insurance that covers any medical issues as you won’t get younger here.

There’s a possibility that you can get an insurance from the local hospital, never heard of people in Sisaket, but it works in Ubon, so why not?

If your wife’s kids will join you, you might have to consider the right school(s), depending on their age.

40 km away from Sisaket wouldn’t be okay for me, as I’m used to live in cities, I hate village life, as you won’t even find a decent Thai restaurant.

But you can do your shopping in Ubon Ratchathani, Sisaket, or if you settle down in Rasi Salai, you’ll get at least some stuff at Big-C.

You won’t find a lot of foreign companionship, I don’t know why, but most foreigners only “socialize” over some beers.

When I came to Sisaket 12 years ago, you could hardly find many other foreigners. That has changed a lot, but you’ll have to find your own way to enjoy life.

You can’t watch TV/movies 24/7, so you’ll need something to do which you like.

If you give me a little more information, where you’re planning to settle down, I can give you more advice. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers-thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Depending on the age of the kids, if they are still in education, I'd rent some place else.

For example a place like Chiang Mai for a few years. A lot easier than suddenly being locked away in rural Surin.

• Like 1

Depending on the age of the kids, if they are still in education, I'd rent some place else.

For example a place like Chiang Mai for a few years. A lot easier than suddenly being locked away in rural Surin.

Dude that post is about New York City......facepalm.gif

Edited by sirchai

it’s the provincial capital for those who write nonsense about this place

Its not a city, its classed as a town, provincial capital or not.

The point being made above is its absolutly tiny (40k population) in comparison to a real American city the OP is referencing. Not really nonsense to be honest.

• Like 1

I think the key to living in an 'rural' area is to keep mentally and physically active. Since I retired [living in Bangkok], I go to a park nearby to exercise twice a day. Keeps me active and fit. If I were to make a move to the 'sticks', I think I would take up farming to keep physically active and fit. I guess it depends on your frame of mind. But it would be hard for me to give up shopping at Villa and making the occasional trip to really good restaurant. Good luck whatever you may decide.

Tried it and I was going insane~~Bored to tears with Nothing to do...I have no plans to spend my golden Years watching Rice grow surrounded by a Language your not comfortable with but this is Just me..Give me the beach or Bangkok where I at least can relate to restaurants shopping malls ETC...

Good point.

I still wonder why some guys living in Patts/BKK/Islands for X number of years, move up to "The Sticks" with their GF/Wives. Some have told me they got tired of the crime, traffic, congestion and tourist scene. Some say it's less expensive up here. Some say the locals are nicer up here, not all wrapped around the axle in the city rat race. Maybe the wife caught them cheating and it was move or divorce.

We live about 35 kliks outside a major city, so it's about 20 minutes or so in a car to drive in. My town has nothing "farang", although there are 1 or 2 other foreigners in the neighborhood. ATMs, petrol, Tesco Express and the normal array of shops and market of a typical small town are all sufficient for normal living, with the occasional trip in to town for big shopping. My wife is a star in the kitchen so going to restaurants in the city is a change of pace, not because I'm jonesing for farang food. Hers is, literally, equal to or better than restaurants, so I'm very lucky in that regard.

Although I do feel like we are missing out on life sometimes, I like this house because the land is big, with lush gardens and we have no neighbors bang up next to us. We will probably move down to Patts later this year, give it a try, but I am dreading the idea of living in a chockablock moo ban with neighbors so close, you know what's for dinner next door.

• Like 1

I was/am still a bit confused about the motivation for moving here, wife not thrilled etc etc. But anyhoo, here's my 2 cents:

If the motivation is financial, now doubt here is cheaper. I'm from California, so just about anywhere is cheaper

Not sure if you speak Lao or Thai, in the sticks that helps

The people that survive best in 'Back of Beyond' land tend to be loners, I count myself in that catagory

Inside of your home can be whatever you want it to be, I don't think I live much differently inside the house here than I did back in San Diego.

The internet is a God send, but make sure you are building a house close enough to a road where you can have a fixed line phone, and hence DSL. Fixed line phones here aren't a given!

Kids...hmm. Someone mentioned this earlier. Not sure how old they are, but if they are anywhere in the 8-18 range, they are the ones they will have the true culture shock and hardest time adjusting.

• Like 1

I all depends on you, your family and the (extended) family that lives around.

Living in a city now, this will be a big change for all family members.

I would never want to live upcountry in Thailand, we live in Rayong province, not too far from some facilities and in an area where you can meet some other foreigners now and than. You'll be lonely there, not easy to communicate with the locals, nobody speaks English and if they would they have very little interests in common with you.

Also consider education for your kids if they are still in that age, that will be very hard to find at a decent level in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 1

I am 70 years of age and just rebuilt my in-laws house into a 4 bedroom, european style house, with all mod-cons. One of the bedrooms is for my wife and I. The house is located in a village about 100 miles north of Korat. I spent one week there and my wife spent one month - I was bored to tears, although I did enjoy working on the farm placing 'sugar tree' ready for planting. we live in a condo in Bangna, Bangkok when we are not in Isaan.

Personally, I agree with others, it will be the children who will be suffering the most in the change in lifestyle.

Ii live 4k from Udon in a small village and it's fine. But I am a fairly keen gardener, 4km into Udon is close enough to do two or three times a day and Udon is a fairly major city with plenty of Farang scattered around.

I wouldn't want to be more than 10km out of town. I think you'll find 30km quite a turn off after a while and when you get to Sisaket, there isn't THAT much to do of a farang nature. I don't know your village of course, but I'm betting there will be absolutely nothing farang there. If you don't speak Thai, you will be pretty isolated. To move from NYC without having experienced it yet, will be tough to adjust to. Perhaps not in the first six months though. You'll be busy getting things set up, buying your new gear etc, but once that's done........?

The local government school will be useless for your kids. I would suggest thinking hard about their schooling options.

I know they say nothing ventured, nothing gained, and you seem to be financially able to set up again in NYC if it doesn't work out, but IMHO, without knowing that you like a rural life in Thailand, you're about to waste six months and at your age, I think each month is kind of precious.

One general observation in terms of making your money go further, I am retired also and often think that if I do absolutely nothing, my money would go a very long way indeed. But would it be enjoyable?

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Carrerakiss

Go for it mate. I live in Hua Hin but i taught in Nam Kliang Wittayu in Sisaket. Lovely people. I doubt whether the young uns' would like it though. Evenings are spent drinking Leaw Keaw and playing cards, with the locals. Nothing much for the young to do though, unless you're in Sisaket it'self.