Am I crazy to move to Issan?

phinick

All these people that moan about no English language and no western food.

Difficult to remember many places in the countryside of England that have an abundance of Thai language and food.

Isn't chicken and pork part of western food any more?

But you don't see a lot of Thai people building houses in the English countryside either ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happily surprised by so many replies, and I want to thank you all for your opinions. I probably should have stated that I did not start building this house for me, but to have a house for my wife that was paid for when I die. After the building started, I got the Idea that I would be able to retire there, and live pretty good on my income. My choices are to retire to Thailand, or work until I die.

My wife and her kids (boys, ages 16 & 13) are happy here (we live in Las Vegas), so maybe I'm being selfish, but I figured we could at least try it for a few months, and see what happens. Her whole family lives in this same area.

To help further clarify my situation, I will be 68 this year, and my wife is 30 years younger.

I have attached a pic of the house which is in the district of Huai Thap Tan. Again, thank you all for your feedback

Glad you mentioned you were being selfish, because that's what I was thinking but left it unsaid - no need - usually more than one dynamic going on.

You got the full gammut here, pro, con, kids, etc. At your age, IMO, good on ya' for building the Mrs. a house for when you are gone, if she decides to head back in the future.

Good luck in whatever you decide. My regards to Lost Wages, me and mine will be over there to drop a few nickles around July this year, we like to stay over in Henderson vs. the big bright lights. My Aunt is a 40 year resident, off Rainbow, now retired from the Electric Co. Cheers, J.

No need to generalize, the posts speak for themselves.

If its so effin great up there why did you move back to Pattaya?

Lets be honest here, how many guys have you ever met, who threw a dart at a map of Issan and said, wherever the dart lands is where I will live?

Answer, NONE, they are led like a buffalo back to the village thier teerak is from.

The highlight of the week, watching Muay Thai in some mom n pop shop in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday afternoon, knocking back the Changs and lao kao with the locals.

Its nothing more than a farang graveyard.

If it were so great a place to stay why every week is Mor Chit full of buses bringing in the peasants to Bkk seeking a better life?

Answer, they can earn 15k with overtime at the Yam Yam factory, accomadation provided, what does Issan offer, 200 baht per day, toiling in the mid day sun, mai aow krap.

This thread isn't about my motivations but about answering the OP's questions about relocating to Isaan.

However, to address your assumptions, generalizations and rabid stereotyping, we relocated back to Pattaya for my kids better education; a point already brought to the OP's attention by others. We still have a couple of properties in Isaan and we plan on at least a couple of decent vacations back up there each year. When I lived on Udon, I would visit Bangkok or Pattaya every couple of months for a 'reality check'. Now that we live outside Pattaya, we head northeast every so often for a... reality check. When things get particularly parochial in LOS, I head out of Thailand for the big reality check. The only thing vaguely buffalo-like here are yours (and others) generalizations. Maybe some really need to get out more and I don't mean just popping into the city for the weekend.

I haven't asked any of the dozen or so young to middle-aged SINGLE chaps I met in Udon what method they chose to select Udon as their home. Why would I want to know someone elses motivation unless I desperately needed some validation for my own? I am more interested in how come there's loads of retirees filling up gated communities in Chiang Mai, married to 'good' Thai ladies (never a bar girl and invariably a government worker) they hardly know and less idea about making a multi-cultural life in LOS. The chaps in Udon seem to have a good grip on why they are there, what they are there for (and where they are going).

When you aren't generalizing, you are stereotyping the typical Isaan foreigner as an old, sad, bitter and broke chap. There's no denying that there's a rapidly diminishing pool of coffin dodgers, lurking in the shade of the village convenience store, drinking Archa (never Chang) and waiting to be dragged home by some haridan of Thai womanhood (met in a bar in Pattaya). I have seen it but they are becoming extinct.

Buses bringing the masses from the 'provinces' to work and make money in the city. OMG! You absolutely never, ever see that happening in civilized, developed, western countries now do you?

• Like 2

Lets be honest here, how many guys have you ever met, who threw a dart at a map of Issan and said, wherever the dart lands is where I will live?

Answer, NONE, they are led like a buffalo back to the village thier teerak is from.

The highlight of the week, watching Muay Thai in some mom n pop shop in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday afternoon, knocking back the Changs and lao kao with the locals.

If it were so great a place to stay why every week is Mor Chit full of buses bringing in the peasants to Bkk seeking a better life?

Answer, they can earn 15k with overtime at the Yam Yam factory, accomadation provided, what does Issan offer, 200 baht per day, toiling in the mid day sun, mai aow krap.

This thread isn't about my motivations but about answering the OP's questions about relocating to Isaan.

However, to address your assumptions, generalizations and rabid stereotyping, we relocated back to Pattaya for my kids better education; a point already brought to the OP's attention by others. We still have a couple of properties in Isaan and we plan on at least a couple of decent vacations back up there each year. When I lived on Udon, I would visit Bangkok or Pattaya every couple of months for a 'reality check'. Now that we live outside Pattaya, we head northeast every so often for a... reality check. When things get particularly parochial in LOS, I head out of Thailand for the big reality check. The only thing vaguely buffalo-like here are yours (and others) generalizations. Maybe some really need to get out more and I don't mean just popping into the city for the weekend.

I haven't asked any of the dozen or so young to middle-aged SINGLE chaps I met in Udon what method they chose to select Udon as their home. Why would I want to know someone elses motivation unless I desperately needed some validation for my own? I am more interested in how come there's loads of retirees filling up gated communities in Chiang Mai, married to 'good' Thai ladies (never a bar girl and invariably a government worker) they hardly know and less idea about making a multi-cultural life in LOS. The chaps in Udon seem to have a good grip on why they are there, what they are there for (and where they are going).

When you aren't generalizing, you are stereotyping the typical Isaan foreigner as an old, sad, bitter and broke chap. There's no denying that there's a rapidly diminishing pool of coffin dodgers, lurking in the shade of the village convenience store, drinking Archa (never Chang) and waiting to be dragged home by some haridan of Thai womanhood (met in a bar in Pattaya). I have seen it but they are becoming extinct.

Buses bringing the masses from the 'provinces' to work and make money in the city. OMG! You absolutely never, ever see that happening in civilized, developed, western countries now do you?

Nice job at leveling that out.

We built a house on the family plot between 2005-2008 with slow, dollar cost averaging but mostly so I in particular, would have an address to send 14,000 lbs of household goods to after the military and if the subsequent civilian work went tits up. It did late last year so here we are. The house is fully fitted so with all our stuff, we didn't even have to buy a trash can. It's quite comfortable actually. I could stay but the wife really hates it here.

The idea though was to get settled in Thailand here at this house, paid for and cheap to live in, then do a lot of road trips and see where else we might like to live in Thailand. I keep fighting it but I find myself gravitating back toward East Pattaya, specifically Maprachan area and/or Bangsaray further down toward Satahip. Been to Samui. Meh. Nice to visit.....but...

So, we'll do a couple months holiday in the US this summer, come back and start looking for a test bed rental someplace in those areas. My Mrs will be ecstatic to leave here but as I said, I'll really miss having the space we have here, chickens, dogs, cats, big ponds with fish, etc.... It's rather nice IMO even being 30 odd kliks out of Korat, but at least it will always be here. We can escape from wherever and always come back We'll see how it goes I reckon.

• Like 1

Sorry, didn't mean to shatter the "bitch always leads the man to Issan" line.

Realize my situation is not quite the normal one, we'ze both in our early to mid 40's, but then again, when you start painting with a wide brush, expect a few of us one-offs to pop up and smack you back.

Cheers, dude.

• Like 1

Excellent post Jay; if I leveled anything, you certainly paved on top of it.

The east side of Pattaya has some bargain rentals in the 4 to 8 year-old village range (older than that and they tend towards the ragged). Some really nice new developments not only physically further out but further away from the cookie-cutter, 3-bed home on half-a-dozen cul-de-sacs, a pond and a pool theme.

• Like 1

why oh why its guna go pear shaped i feel...they wont like it sir a holiday is enough for the kids and wife then back to the us why not move to flagstaff better scenery i loved it when i was on my hols years ago.....it seems a bit selfish but your intentions were /are probably very noble i wish you well and your wallet..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Difficult to remember many places in the countryside of England that have an abundance of Thai language and food.

But you don't see a lot of Thai people building houses in the English countryside either wink.png

My point being, a Doctor in England coul;d quite easily meet, diagnose and treat patiients if 20 nationalities in any day with no communication problems.

Why? Because the people who chose to live there can be bothered to learn the language.

They also learn to adapt their diet to what is available.

Why? Because the people who chose to live there can be bothered to learn the language.

So eat somtam plaraa, drink lao khao from tin cups and learn to speak Isaan if you want to live there. And the OP asked if he's crazy ? Answer is yes.

So eat somtam plaraa, drink lao khao from tin cups and learn to speak Isaan if you want to live there. And the OP asked if he's crazy ? Answer is yes.

As usual we get a tin pot stupid answer.

I said "learn the language". Are there no doctors in Issan that speak Thai? No. They all speak Thai, as do most of the general population.

I said " adapt their diet", not change it. Pork, chicken, vegetables, fruit, etc etc etc. I seem to remember eating those in England.

When living in a different environment you need to get off your arse sometimes and help yourself.

As usual we get a tin pot stupid answer.

I said "learn the language". Are there no doctors in Issan that speak Thai? No. They all speak Thai, as do most of the general population.

I said " adapt their diet", not change it. Pork, chicken, vegetables, fruit, etc etc etc. I seem to remember eating those in England.

When living in a different environment you need to get off your arse sometimes and help yourself.

Some valid points there and there is no doubt that compromise, and sacrifice, will be required to come up to Isaan.

That does not mean that you have to go native and show off by eating bugs and bplaa rah. I have been there, done that and apart from brief entertainment of family/locals it serves no useful purpose.

It is now much easier to have a 'balanced' lifestyle in Isaan with many western food options available. OK, you are not going to get English language films at the cinema (except in a major conurbation) but most places now have running water and electricity so you can watch dvd's and a host of international programmes on True or CTH.

Personally, I have given up on any desire to learn Thai - although I will continue to add to my extensive stock of Thai words. In Isaan there are many occasions when a Farang is in a shop/office/bar/restaurant and the defensive reaction from the Thai girlie is akin to a rabbit trapped in the headlights of a car. As much as one tries to intone correctly (I can't) you get a blank expression and a total lack of comprehension. I cannot be bothered to put myself through that experience again.

That said, i have found myself very content living in a small house in the middle of a rice field and the nearest neighbours 3km away (apart from the farmer next door who lives in a wooden shack and is usually p!ssed by breakfast). I could not live in a village where interaction with village Thais was a daily occurrence.

There are things from Pattaya, Bangkok and other places that I miss so I do make sure that trips away are a regular feature.

I would not contemplate living in Isaan in the OP's circumstances.

No need to learn Thai nor change diet if you get a condo from near civilization, say the aforementioned suburbs of Pattaya for example. The only reason I can think of for moving into Isaan would be lack of money and trying to live on a shoestring budget, i.e. going totally native.

No need to learn Thai nor change diet if you get a condo from near civilization, say the aforementioned suburbs of Pattaya for example. The only reason I can think of for moving into Isaan would be lack of money and trying to live on a shoestring budget, i.e. going totally native.

You clearly have little experience of Isaan.

The ability to live in Isaan is more about openness of the mind than emptiness of the wallet.

There are, of course, many people in Isaan (and Pattaya) living on a budget. It is actually cheaper to live in Pattaya than Isaan except for accommodation costs.

Those on a shoestring in Isaan are quickly being overtaken by more affluent incumbents. Some maintain a property here and retain a condo in Pattaya or Bangkok - or a house in Khao Yai.

The simple fact is that most follow their heart and few would choose Isaan if their loved ones were not domiciled here.

Edited by Jip99

Stop thinking and come and look.

Why do so many posters on the Issan forum try to show their wisdom without the knowledge to back it up?

But you don't see a lot of Thai people building houses in the English countryside either wink.png

My point being, a Doctor in England coul;d quite easily meet, diagnose and treat patiients if 20 nationalities in any day with no communication problems.

No because most people moving to England can already speak a bit English before they arrive. A lot of people all around the world learn English as a second language. Nobody coming to Thailand speak Thai. Change England with Greece, Sweden, Poland, Italy or Finland. Then there would be the same language problem Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

Stop thinking and come and look.

Why do so many posters on the Issan forum try to show their wisdom without the knowledge to back it up?

This topic was in the newsletter, after that nobody cares about the subforum. That should answer your question.

I've spent about 6 months in total near Nong Sang in Nong Bua Lamphu within the seven years I've lived in Thailand and am due there in a few weeks again for a wedding. I've taken the look.

For some one coming from Farangland there are better alternatives in other parts of Thailand. I'm purposefully leaving out the part of being coerced by the wife since that doesn't seem to be the OP's case.

Just take a look at the flux of people and you'll notice it's not towards Isaan but rather out to BKK, Chonburi and other provinces where the jobs are. What's left are those who can't leave for one reason or the other. Want to take teenage boys into that environment ? Think again.

As a curiosity, I reckon these days 1/3 of dwellers in BKK are originally Isaan and might well be 1/2 in Pattaya. Why just not skip the experiment and go for where you'll end up anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Not interested in CM, just as I have no interest in Hua Hin.

Just talking about the opposite side of the same coin.

Yes there is no denying there are plenty of successful people living in the area, the ones who chose a good woman from a good family with no baggage in tow, best of luck to them.

In fact it may well serve as a reminder for those reading this and thinking about relocating here, if you are looking for a woman chose wisely.

Personally IMO the worst thing to happen to many now eking out an existence was the crash of '98, many bought into the dream with nothing to back it up.

Thats a topic for another day.

No because most people moving to England can already speak a bit English before they arrive. A lot of people all around the world learn English as a second language. Nobody coming to Thailand speak Thai. Change England with Greece, Sweden, Poland, Italy or Finland. Then there would be the same language problem

Good point, but if you look at what I said I was talking about taking the time to learn, or in some cases improve, your language skills after arrival.

I could not speak a word of Thai when I came here. Now I am very proficient.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I’m living here in Sisaket, but in the city ( and it’s the provincial capital for those who write nonsense about this place) 40 km away could be in Rasi Salai.

You should have an insurance that covers any medical issues as you won’t get younger here.

There’s a possibility that you can get an insurance from the local hospital, never heard of people in Sisaket, but it works in Ubon, so why not?

If your wife’s kids will join you, you might have to consider the right school(s), depending on their age.

40 km away from Sisaket wouldn’t be okay for me, as I’m used to live in cities, I hate village life, as you won’t even find a decent Thai restaurant.

But you can do your shopping in Ubon Ratchathani, Sisaket, or if you settle down in Rasi Salai, you’ll get at least some stuff at Big-C.

You won’t find a lot of foreign companionship, I don’t know why, but most foreigners only “socialize” over some beers.

When I came to Sisaket 12 years ago, you could hardly find many other foreigners. That has changed a lot, but you’ll have to find your own way to enjoy life.

You can’t watch TV/movies 24/7, so you’ll need something to do which you like.

If you give me a little more information, where you’re planning to settle down, I can give you more advice. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Sirchai,

Thanks for your input. I will be living in Huai Thap Tan, off of 226 going towards Surin. I know there will be a certain amount of boredom, but Sisaket and Ubon aren't really that far away. Turns out that I still have about 5 months before the move, but looking forward to it.

post-150679-0-43883000-1409425154_thumb.

post-150679-0-38255100-1409425167_thumb.

How you get on with wife's family will make a big difference, how well you can speak Thai to have your independence( not having to rely on wife) and do what you want is another thing.

Gardening is a great hobby to have, ditto running and cycling for exercise.

People in the villages are great IMO.

Depends on your personality.

Suck it and see!

• Like 1

Sirchai,

Thanks for your input. I will be living in Huai Thap Tan, off of 226 going towards Surin. I know there will be a certain amount of boredom, but Sisaket and Ubon aren't really that far away. Turns out that I still have about 5 months before the move, but looking forward to it.

Surin is quite a lot nearer than Ubon ! Having a hobby is quite a good idea rather than watching the rice grow BTW.

This thread was started in April. But the subject is still very "today-like". To me, the "Happy-Farangs" living in remote spots in Thailand are the ones that have made the conciuos decision that the village and the Thai-Family is there universe from now on and whatever is outside this realm is of little concern. Not looking into any back-mirrors, whatsoever. Some of us are living it and are perfectly happy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To others, the monthly trip to the "city", becomes a reason to live and the nagging and re-occurring thought of "why am I here" becomes some sort of an uninvited visitor that keeps coming back.

At such a point, the Farang should re-evaluate his "Rural-Concept". Unfortunately, oftentimes, a way back is out of the question, because the investment already made in form of assets that can not be moved is already this significant, that a walk away from the situation wold be extremely painful. (For the Farang that is).

To look before you leap is good advice, as mentioned in this thread a couple of times. Of course, if somebody is determined to leap before they look, there is never enough advise to convince them that the "other way around" is the way to go.

Is this behavior, that defies logic explainable ? Yes, I believe it has something to do with "Love makes blind". And it seems to me, that the older the Farang is, the more he is subjected to the dangers of turning "blind", especially after having relocated to Thailand.

Cheers.

• Like 1

OP you should already know whether or not boredom will drive you stark raving mad. I have no idea, sorry. I never have a bored moment.

A concern you should have is medical treatment in case of heart attack. If you have a serious heart attack you will have about 40 minutes or less to get to a hospital that is adequately prepared to deal with it. Assess your risk and plan for this. Over the years I have known a few older retired farangs who enjoyed living here who didn't make it to the hospital on time. They died before their time IMO.

Are you crazy?

For yourself...... possibly

For your wife.... probably

For your kids' education.....certainly.

Yep. There are no schools in Issan 555555

What utter crap. The terrible state of the Thai education system is nationwide. The chances of an education similar to that overseas is low all over Thailand.

It amazes me that some people still think of Issan a some kind of place that time forgot.

Sure there are some underdeveloped places. These are in fact pleasing for me. Somewhere to go and relax away from the hussle and bustle that is the rat race bulls&^t..

I live in a small village in Issan. There are schools that are as good as those I have seen in Bangkok. Like I said the education problem is nationwide.

There is also a good government hospital. Those that continue to think that Issan doctors are some sort of under qualified substitutions for real doctors make me laugh too. Thai doctors, with the exception of a few who are lucky enough to study abroad, all study at the same universities. After graduation they have a 2 year internship at a hospital of the government's choice. After that they can go where they want, if the jobs are available.

If the hospitals in Issan are so bad they why are the locals not dropping dead like flies? First I hear that Thai hospitals are no good as they are over crowded. Next I hear they are no good as the treatment is sub standard. If that is so then why do the majority of patients walk out of the front door? Surely they should be in boxes and carried out of the back door.

To the OP....only you can decide. Come here, have a look, think about it and come back and tell us in a year or so.

• Like 1

There is also a good government hospital. Those that continue to think that Issan doctors are some sort of under qualified substitutions for real doctors make me laugh too. Thai doctors, with the exception of a few who are lucky enough to study abroad, all study at the same universities. After graduation they have a 2 year internship at a hospital of the government's choice. After that they can go where they want, if the jobs are available.

If the hospitals in Issan are so bad they why are the locals not dropping dead like flies? First I hear that Thai hospitals are no good as they are over crowded. Next I hear they are no good as the treatment is sub standard. If that is so then why do the majority of patients walk out of the front door? Surely they should be in boxes and carried out of the back door.

A specialist Dr, in my provincial capital told me the salaries for Dr.'s in the provinces are higher than in Bangkok. Many of the interns return and get jobs in local government hospitals.

The most important factor for hospitals at the Amphoe level is their lack of specialized equipment. Often patients need to be shuttled by ambulance to the provincial capital where the equipment is waiting. Our local village government hospital has a fleet of four well equipped ambulances for that purpose. They are running 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.