BANGKOK 26 April 2019 19:35
Danielsiam

What's the meaning of "Farang Dong" ?

I hear many times a thai girls saying me "oyyy Farang dong"

What's the meaning ?

I hear that one time, it's a foreigner who is a newbies, and one time that foreigner knows much about Thailand, so I don't have any idea of the real meaning ^_^

• Like 1

ฝรั่งดอง is somewhat derogatory term for people who are half Caucasian/Asian who has obvious appearance to be neither fully Asian nor Caucasian.

Some people gets called that based on their appearance despite not being half.

• Like 1

I cannot gain say Mole but it is worth considering the impression you had; after all not everyone knows what they are saying. Directly translating into English I could see how it might well refer to a person who had assimilated into the ways of the speaker, her society or country- steeped in Thai ways.

This is actually the situation of a ลูกครึ่ง too; not all of them have been brought up in Thailand and this could have defined those that have.

Edited by tgeezer

I've only seen it used in a derogatory fashion before, and one dictionary I looked in translates it as Western riffraff.

I've only seen it used in a derogatory fashion before, and one dictionary I looked in translates it as Western riffraff.

You're one up on me then, I have never heard it said!

In the Thai dictionary it is very similar to the word 'pickle', there is also a slang meaning of 'pickled' which is 'drunk'.

There could be many meanings depending on who is saying it, we can't know unless we ask them.

May be your next question "Falang chae buay" or Guava marinated in plum sauce .

post-192263-14011238824116_thumb.jpg

post-192263-14011238999771_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I bow before the culinary expertise of napawan, however, that isn't relevant at all.

What does it mean when a person is called that, not a piece of fruit.

Personally, I have never heard it (not a big fruit eater, Scottish blood)

Oh! I know now what you mean I think it may be refer to some foreigner that cannot come back to their country may be because of their poor or may be other reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

ฝรั่งดอง is somewhat derogatory term for people who are half Caucasian/Asian who has obvious appearance to be neither fully Asian nor Caucasian.

Ooo I've just learned something new today.

So called "Thai people" are citrons

Ooo I've just learned something new today.

I with my friend call "thai people" citrons because they are citrons.

Khun Mole

I've never heard this context before but, of course, do not question you.

I have 2 daughters - one is Mattayom 1 but could pass for being M4. I am always aware of what boys are saying in Malls etc. If someone called her "farang dong", would this be an insult?

More commonly, I hear people saying she looks "kaek khao".

I believe "kaek" has become a rather derogatory term over the last 20 years or so, as has "farang" but to a lesser degree. Words defining minorities generally do become offensive. For example 50 years ago the work "Jek" was used to refer to a Chinese person but now it is an insult. Likewise in English, my grandmother used to words to describe minorities that are extremely rascist today.

What's your take on the "farang" and "kaek" words? I've noticed they are often said these days with a lower tone.