Chiang Mai airport operating 24/7

masuk

Were the new operating hours of Chiang Mai airport ever made public, or anyone's opinion asked (not us farangs of course).

I noticed on my return after a 3-week absence, that planes are taking off and landing through the night.

I'd sure hate to be trying to sleep under the take-off path north of the airport.

I live almost directly under the flight path north of the airport, maybe a few hundred meters east of the flight path. With the heat we now have I use a/c and fan at night and I never hear the airplanes.

During the cold season I would hear one about 3 AM or so. Fact is you get use to it at it doesn't bother you anymore.

• Like 2

24h ops were announced a couple of months ago. Mainly flights to china like to operate ini the middle of the night but there's only a few at the moment it could increase though.

Yes, I did see the sign at the airport or from news in a newspaper tht CNX would go 24/7 starting some time in April.

There are so many flights flying in from different provinces in China especially in the evening hours! More Chinese bashing in the forum is forthcoming , I suppose! thumbsup.gif

With a 24 hours airport let's hope the taxi companies decide to operate after 11pm. I've arrived a couple times late at night only to find the taxi booths closed and a chaotic mob of people waiting outside all trying to hire any passing sangtaew or tuktuk.

All living south of the city will be relieved they are heading north and there is no doubt flights will be increased as CM appears to be every Chinese tourists dream destination.There is the odd flight heading south, around 3am.

24h ops were announced a couple of months ago. Mainly flights to china like to operate ini the middle of the night but there's only a few at the moment it could increase though.

Yes, I did see the sign at the airport or from news in a newspaper tht CNX would go 24/7 starting some time in April.

There are so many flights flying in from different provinces in China especially in the evening hours! More Chinese bashing in the forum is forthcoming , I suppose! thumbsup.gif

For years Thai Airways flew Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Kunming. Then they dropped Chiang Mai - Kunming just before the explosion of Chinese demand. Thai just don't know what they are doing! Flights now go to Chengdu, Wuhan.... all over china. China Eastern operate 4 flights a day on some days to Kunming on some days. Is this the peak of the boom at the moment or just the start?

It's actually somewhat of a challenge beyond the airport. It used to be that small hotels and bed & breakfasts didn't really need staff at night (maybe some security dude at best).

Now they need someone to check in guests 24/7, normally handled by people with better communication skills.

For years Thai Airways flew Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Kunming. Then they dropped Chiang Mai - Kunming just before the explosion of Chinese demand. Thai just don't know what they are doing! Flights now go to Chengdu, Wuhan.... all over china. China Eastern operate 4 flights a day on some days to Kunming on some days. Is this the peak of the boom at the moment or just the start?

Late December I reversed the tourist trend and went from CNX direct to Macau. Looked so easy!

Arrived there 2hrs 30mins after leaving CNX, and then it took for 5 hours to get through Macau Immigration (a breeze) and then joined queue 41 at Chinese Immigration which took over an hour. Saturday evening was not a good time to try this, along with half a million Chinese gamblers heading back home.

Arrived in Guangzhou 5hrs after landing. Didn't save any time by going via BKK, and certainly cheaper. Not sure I want to have a week of 4C tho. Prefer the Chiang Mai winters. Next time I'll go direct to a Chinese airport.

Late December I reversed the tourist trend and went from CNX direct to Macau. Looked so easy!

Arrived there 2hrs 30mins after leaving CNX, and then it took for 5 hours to get through Macau Immigration (a breeze) and then joined queue 41 at Chinese Immigration which took over an hour. Saturday evening was not a good time to try this, along with half a million Chinese gamblers heading back home.

Arrived in Guangzhou 5hrs after landing. Didn't save any time by going via BKK, and certainly cheaper. Not sure I want to have a week of 4C tho. Prefer the Chiang Mai winters. Next time I'll go direct to a Chinese airport.

Macau/China border crossing is a nightmare that can take hours! I lived in Macau for a year and frequently crossed to Zhuhai for a day-trip. You'll also need to speak Mandarin somewhat proficiently, particularly profanity, or you'll get your ass handed to you by queue jumpers. Despite all the measures they take to keep order it's a chaotic mess, probably the worst land border crossing I've personally experienced.

We are so lucky to have relatively efficient and fast immigration at CNX, I don't think I've ever seen a queue longer than 2 or 3 people going out, in fact there's usually 2 or 3 officers waiting and no one queued at all! Inbound it can take longer, but it's still way better than immigration in BKK.

Macau/China border crossing is a nightmare that can take hours! I lived in Macau for a year and frequently crossed to Zhuhai for a day-trip. You'll also need to speak Mandarin somewhat proficiently, particularly profanity, or you'll get your ass handed to you by queue jumpers. Despite all the measures they take to keep order it's a chaotic mess, probably the worst land border crossing I've personally experienced.

We are so lucky to have relatively efficient and fast immigration at CNX, I don't think I've ever seen a queue longer than 2 or 3 people going out, in fact there's usually 2 or 3 officers waiting and no one queued at all! Inbound it can take longer, but it's still way better than immigration in BKK.

I agree totally! After waiting half an hour in queue 41, I saw a sign which said 'over 65s'. Great idea, I grabbed my gear and joined the other oldies. A policeman rushed over and demanded to see my passport, and proved to himself that I was well over 65!

As you say, they're not too helpful, and when I asked for assistance on return trying to find 'Immigration Out', the copper knew nothing. So I stuck my passport in his face and he got the message. Through the doors behind him. Not helpful or not too bright.

Those holding Filipino passport were terrible queue jumpers, and I eventually gave a couple some quiet advice as to where I'd stick their luggage if they kept shoving.

I think I got the hang of it, and will use the bus leaving from underneath next time, if I ever try. At least it was a relief to get onto the High speed train from Zhuhai to Guangzhou.