Pregnant woman kicked off her motorbike, sexually assaulted in northern Phuket

webfact

Astonishing. So many posts reviling the two young guys, on the basis of what? Because the police have arrested them as suspects? You don't think that maybe the police might have the wrong guys? (Never happens in Thailand, right?) You don't think that they deserve face court before being condemned? Whatever the shortfalls of the Thai justice system, it is far preferably to the lynch-mob mentality shown here.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astonishing. So many posts reviling the two young guys, on the basis of what? Because the police have arrested them as suspects? You don't think that maybe the police might have the wrong guys? (Never happens in Thailand, right?) You don't think that they deserve face court before being condemned? Whatever the shortfalls of the Thai justice system, it is far preferably to the lynch-mob mentality shown here.

Maybe because they have confessed

The twins were taken to Tah Chat Chai Police Station (story here), where they confessed. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Teens-confess-rape-pregnant-Phuket-woman/29217#ad-image-0

Drowning children being ignored by those close by to help; teens physically assaulting, robbing and raping a young pregnant woman; huge numbers of people dying on the roads because the police will not enforce laws. What's wrong with this country? Have many Thais become completely void of emotions or any sense of humanity? In civilized countries these would be horrifying national headline stories discussed with great emotion by people. I'm afraid that in Thailand these situations are almost becoming just normal behaviour -- normal Thainess.

The twins were taken to Tah Chat Chai Police Station (story here), where they confessed. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Teens-confess-rape-pregnant-Phuket-woman/29217#ad-image-0

AND I hope DNA reveals all and stuff taken care of.............I hope..............thumbsup.gif

There is no mention of confessions in the article to which I was referring and others were basing their judgements and comments on. At that stage the two guys were just suspects being questioned by the police. The confessions obviously came later. My post is an accurate observation.

If these guys did it, they deserve all they get, and some.

However, history shows many innocent men have gone to prison as a result of a coerced confession.

I hope other evidence will be put forward to show their guilt, preferably, DNA evidence.

Edited by NamKangMan

When i first heard this story and the mention of twins and their age i thought of a student i had a few years ago while i did a few months teaching in a college in Thalang. When i saw their faces today it was indeed the same boys.

From my recollection the one on the left of the facebook picture was an ok student while his brother was always known as the troublemaker and the bad seed in the family.

Now i guess they were both the bad seeds.

How sad and very tragic this whole thing is.

Angry locals blockade road in Mai Khao over Phuket rape

By 6pm this evening the mob had grown to more than 1,000 people, and traffic was reported to be backed up 10 kilometres to the north of the blockade and seven kilometres to the south of it.

The twin 17-year-olds were arrested yesterday and confessed to attacking the 25-year-old on Sunday night. They kicked her off her motorbike, breaking her leg. They then dragged her into the bushes and took turns raping her before robbing her.

Today the mob of locals said that they had blocked the island's main highway in both directions to force the police to bring the teens to re-enact the crime in front of the public. The police had already decided against a re-enactment because they were afraid the twins would be attacked by the locals.

The mob also want the twins to apologise to the parents of the victim.

In addition, the group are demanding police give a written apology to a man they arrested for the crime, before realising they had made a mistake.

More details to come.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/angry-locals-blockade-road-in-mai-khao-over-phuket-rape-45852.php#sthash.Uk0L5NKm.dpuf

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-23

"With the arrival of senior police officers on the scene, the mob, led by the rape victim's brother, have now added another demand: the removal or transfer of four unpopular police officers from the Tah Chat Chai Police Station in the north of the island." - I wonder what this is all about?

Looks like the right decision then not to do the re-enactment.

"In addition, the group are demanding police give a written apology to a man they arrested for the crime, before realising they had made a mistake." - looks like they made the right decision there as well. I bet that guy was s****ing himself. :)

Makes you wonder how many "mistakes" are currently sitting in Phuket Prison.

The Governor has ordered the four police officers to be moved.

But the road block continues.

Reports that DTAC users are experiencing difficulties due to very heavy traffic on their service.

I was at Thalang Tesco about 5pm and DTAC was having problems at the time. I thought it was due the scheduled power cut which was affecting the area for the whole day.

I guess it's safe to assume that this is the last time these boys will ever be on this island.

I wonder if the mob is heading to the police station at some point.

I guess it's safe to assume that this is the last time these boys will ever be on this island.

That's assuming they ever make it off the island. I just knew that there would be outrage in the local community. Even in prison these twins (if guilty) will suffer hard.

There is a quite large storm going towards that area, it just hit Ao Por and will get there in 10 minutes or so. It might cool things down a bit.

Yes, all traffic In both directions north of the airport is stationary. I just landed at Phuket airport and could see it banked up right over the bridge and continuing some miles north of Sarasin Bridge.

The 2 girls sitting next to me on the flight work for the airport and said it was due to the protest because of the woman being assaulted.

They said many pax coming down from Khao Lak, Phangnga etc have missed flights.

I'm in the car now and the driver confirms same, and we are taking back roads south of the airport as access is blocked via the main airport road out to Thepkassetri.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.3 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Angry Phuket mob stages blockade over twin teen rape suspects
Phuket Gazette -

1_201442316518347_kEiVLZXxZzyXsYRXMsFiEz

The mob blockaded Thepkrasattri Road after hearing the twin suspects would not be arriving to re-enact their crimes. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: A mob of angry residents this afternoon blockaded Phuket’s critical main artery, Thepkrasattri Road, amid outrage over the twin teenagers who raped a pregnant woman in the area on Sunday night.

The blockade, just north of the turnoff to Phuket International Airport, formed at about 2pm after villagers realized that police would not be bringing the twin brothers to the scene to re-enact their crimes.

The twins, 17, confessed yesterday to the rape, sexual assault, assault and robbery of the 25-year-old woman.

“The suspects face all four charges, including ‘use of a vehicle in a robbery and evasion of police,’” Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayut Karajedee told the Phuket Gazette.

“They claim that they had not originally intended to rape the woman, but had set out to rob her. However, after kicking the bike out from under her, they dragged her into the woods and both raped her,” Col Peerayut said.

The woman told police earlier that she had begged the teens to leave her alone, as she was five months pregnant.

However, the 17-year-olds denied any knowledge of her being pregnant

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Angry-Phuket-mob-stages-blockade-twin-teen/29224#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-23

That's assuming they ever make it off the island. I just knew that there would be outrage in the local community. Even in prison these twins (if guilty) will suffer hard.

Looked at a Thai language facebook page and similar sentiments by the Thais as here on TV - "Give them to the people to deal with."

I'll be surprised if they make it off Phuket alive.

Looks like the locals are definately out for some summary justice / vigilante justice.

Their family, if on Phuket, are probably in hiding as well.

Their crime is heinous, but I hope the locals don't turn this into an act of barbarism.

Looks like the locals are definately out for some summary justice / vigilante justice.

Their crime is heinous, but I hope the locals don't turn this into an act of barbarism.

You play with fire and all that...

This sudden trust in the Thai legal system is incredible. Don't you guys read the papers/Thaivisa.com?

Instant justice, at least then you know there might be some.

Otherwise someone gets rich and the rapists walk free.

They showed no mercy so why should the locals?

• Like 1

Looked at a Thai language facebook page and similar sentiments by the Thais as here on TV - "Give them to the people to deal with."

It's also tells how much people trust the juridical system here. Obviously there is heat of the moment right now, but there is the underlying frustration against the people who have been misusing others without real consequences. That frustration is in the streets right now.

However as noted before on this thread, in this case it's unlikely that these men will be able escape justice, no matter how much money there would be.

Then again, is there any way for the police to give a solid promise that there will be no bail, for the angry mob so that they would believe the message?

You play with fire and all that...

This sudden trust in the Thai legal system is incredible. Don't you guys read the papers/Thaivisa.com?

Instant justice, at least then you know there might be some.

Otherwise someone gets rich and the rapists walk free.

They showed no mercy so why should the locals?

That's how riots start, which goes on to see many innocent people killed, shop looting, curfews in place etc etc.

The "mob" have already made other demands, such as four police being removed.

This has the potential to turn very bad, very quick, and not just against the two criminals.

It's also tells how much people trust the juridical system here. Obviously there is heat of the moment right now, but there is the underlying frustration against the people who have been misusing others without real consequences. That frustration is in the streets right now.

However as noted before on this thread, in this case it's unlikely that these men will be able escape justice, no matter how much money there would be.

Then again, is there any way for the police to give a solid promise that there will be no bail, for the angry mob so that they would believe the message?

It's possible that the years and years of the break down of the rule of law on Phuket, due to a corrupt police department and a corrupt judicial system, may come to the fore, due to this incident.

I've said on this forum, many times, that criminals will migrate to an area where they know the police, or a judge, can be bought. Thus, crime goes up in that area. Phuket police certainly have a bad reputation.

Maybe the locals have had enough of one law for the rich, and another law for everyone else here.

• Like 2

However, the 17-year-olds denied any knowledge of her being pregnant

This really upsets me. So gang rape is Ok so long as the lady is not pregnant. Words fail me, well they don't fail me but Thaivisa's bad word filter would kick in.

No it's not and it's not suggested. That was just a small detail what the 17-years-olds said (in their defensive talk, just like they said that they did not plan to rape her). Newspapers have to report it to stay objective on the matter (and to avoid defamation suits later on, I guess).

As far as I understand, raping is not about sex. It's about showing power over someone who is physically weaker and unable to protect herself. Humiliation and feeling control.

It was not long time ago when these kind of people were dealt by the community in most of our societies. Here I think it still happens. If the juridical system fails in many occasions, how the people should take on cases, which really matters in their lives?