PCAD protesters crash election forum

webfact

PCAD Protesters Crash Election Forum
By Khaosod English

13981543741398154499l.jpg
Anti-government leader Buddha Issara as he arrives at the PCAD protest outside the EC's election meeting with political parties on 22 April 2014.

BANGKOK — Hundreds of anti-government protesters are demonstrating outside the hotel where representatives of various political parties are meeting for a talk on Thailand's future election.

The meeting was organised by the Election Commission (EC) to discuss details of the country’s next election, following the Constitutional Court's invalidation of the previous general election on 2 February.

More than 60 political parties were invited to the forum, held at Miracle Grand Hotel in Laksi district, including the ruling Pheu Thai Party and the opposition Democrat Party, which boycotted the previous election.

Democrat Party chairman Abhisit Vejjajiva declined to attend the meeting at the last minute, citing security concerns.

Despite orders from the Centre for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), the EC did not broadcast the meeting live on state-owned television channels 9, 11, and Thai PBS.

Secretary-general of the EC Mr. Puchong Nutrawong explained that the EC has never allowed the media to broadcast EC-held public meeting that concern elections.

Mr. Puchong said a live broadcast of the event may inflame the already delicate situation, as the meeting will certainly involve heated exchanges between party representatives.

"I think it will be more negative than positive," the EC sec-gen told reporters, adding that the EC has already eased its regulation by allowing journalists to be present at the meeting.

When asked whether the decision not to broadcast the meeting can be seen as a "slap" to CAPO, Mr. Puchong replied that all EC activities must be decided solely by the EC, and denied that the gesture is hostile towards the government in any way.

Mr. Puchong also asked the party representatives not to bring any firearms into the forum.

"Pen and notebook are enough," Mr. Puchong said.

Shortly after the meeting began, a large motorised convoy of protesters led by the People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) arrived at the hotel and proceeded to block some sections of Kampaengpetch Road to voice their opposition to the plan for another election.

PCAD has insisted that an unelected "People's Council" be established to implement series of reforms before any election is held.

The PCAD protesters were led by the Buddhist activist monk, Buddha Issara.

At the hotel, Mr. Puchong allowed a number of PCAD activists to enter the meeting hall and hang banners bearing anti-election slogans.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1398154374&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-22

Abhisit was right then, security WAS a concern, again . . .

Good to see the EC ignoring CAPO and putting them back in their place, i.e. nothing you've said so far has ANYTHING to do with maintaining peace and order, merely instructions/orders/demands/threats/intimidation from Thaksin.

Bad to see PCAD disrupting a process that "should" (in theory) allow the country to "move forward" somewhat . . .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" Mr. Puchong also asked the party representatives not to bring any firearms into the forum. "

Well, they seem to be off to a rip-roaring start. What a shame to have arbitrarily disallowed the televised broadcast of it, at the last minute. Why didn't we hear about EC's edict yesterday ? And how in the world is allowing reporters in considered a concession in this day and age ? So this meeting is already off to a bad start simply because - the public has been blocked out and doesn't get to witness any of their future representatives or what they'll say.

Khaosod - " crashing " an event is barging into it. PDRC were outside the hotel. " Some " members were " allowed in " - that's " allowed " with an " a ", Khaosod. There is no resemblance to the word " crash ". It also, by the way, has a different meaning. They were allowed to hang up some slogans. No reports of the meeting being disrupted in any way. And incidentally, Khaosod, the Thai public were barred from the event, as well. Perhaps that's more upsetting. As a result, I suppose, we will be left with Khaosod to get the real truth to us from behind the curtains. One can hardly wait. This is quite symbolic, actually. The Thai public is thirsting for information, and the future is being discussed behind closed doors. Big surprise.

Not a good start Abhisit not present , no broadcast on TV , not a good look at all., perhaps that old adage is true Scamper, keep em in the dark like Mushrooms and feed them BullS!!t.

• Like 2

So Abhitsit is scared of the PCAD or the monk? He is once again showing is true colors. Afraid he may upset Uncle Suthep at the last minute. This man can not lead sheep to water no least a political party.

abhisit reminds me of that old saying about the teacher asking the schoolboy to give him a sentence containing the word horticulture. This is what he come up with;

You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her him think

I tend to agree that broadcasting a heated debate could be more bad than good at this point. The public needs the facts, for sure, but the last thing we need is fuel to dump on the fire of violence and division.

But I do not agree with letting PCAD protestors in to the meeting area. That is showing favoritism to one side and is counter productive to the goal of the meeting. The protestors are welcome to protest in front of the hotel and not interfere.

but secret backroom agreement would be also worse than having it transparent on TV.

If you must make the discussion about elections top secret than the democracy is already dead.....

• Like 1

The EC decided not to have the meeting televised because it hasn't allowed it in the past. So much for reform! Afraid of 'heated exchanges'? What is wrong with 'heated exchanges' in a democracy?

On the other hand, it is clear that the PDRC/PCAD will attempt to disrupt another election. Violence is the only surety.

The forecast for the rule of law returning to Thailand is slim and none. Anarchy continues. How much more damage to the economy will it take before people wake up?

I tend to agree that broadcasting a heated debate could be more bad than good at this point. The public needs the facts, for sure, but the last thing we need is fuel to dump on the fire of violence and division.

But I do not agree with letting PCAD protestors in to the meeting area. That is showing favoritism to one side and is counter productive to the goal of the meeting. The protestors are welcome to protest in front of the hotel and not interfere.

but secret backroom agreement would be also worse than having it transparent on TV.

If you must make the discussion about elections top secret than the democracy is already dead.....

I certainly agree with that. I was quite looking forward to watching it too. Nothing should be kept a secret, but with all parties being involved, I doubt that would happen. Its more likely that different versions of what happened would be reported by different parties. For that sake it I will grant that even if it is not best to broadcast it, it should at least be recorded for evidence and for reference by all parties.

Come on for gods sake.... electoral reforms... that is what the meeting should have been about and nowt else.

Then allow the people to see on TV exactly what each party actually thinks of truly free and fair elections.

Just to weed out those who are openly opposed to what is actually the first principle of a true democracy.

Is it too much to ask????

Let me guess - Royal Thai Police conspicuous by their absence again. Far easier to spend time on making sure bars will close at 1:00 am.

I think you mean, far easier to ask for additional tea money to make sure bars can stay open past 1am.

fab4 post # 14.

You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her him think

What a succinct self description of your soliciting support for your political stance

The PCAD are by far not the people, they a fraction of the people, and as for the EC allowing some of them in and to hang banners, well that was straight up DUMB,,,! It also show a clear favoritism of this group and the EC have been seen showing it yet again.

Whether it is true or not does not matter. It is the perception that matters and that perception is two-fold: 1. the EC caves in to any and all demands from a certain Person's Commitee for Absolutue Dictatorship; and 2. The EC is not impartial. The EC not only has to do its job, it has to be clearly seen to be doing its job efficiently and without favouritsm.

Of course Khun Abhisit knew in advance that a demonstration was planned and his "security concerns" were that he knew the mob would be going there looking for trouble.

• Like 2

" Mr. Puchong also asked the party representatives not to bring any firearms into the forum. "

Well, they seem to be off to a rip-roaring start. What a shame to have arbitrarily disallowed the televised broadcast of it, at the last minute. Why didn't we hear about EC's edict yesterday ? And how in the world is allowing reporters in considered a concession in this day and age ? So this meeting is already off to a bad start simply because - the public has been blocked out and doesn't get to witness any of their future representatives or what they'll say.

Khaosod - " crashing " an event is barging into it. PDRC were outside the hotel. " Some " members were " allowed in " - that's " allowed " with an " a ", Khaosod. There is no resemblance to the word " crash ". It also, by the way, has a different meaning. They were allowed to hang up some slogans. No reports of the meeting being disrupted in any way. And incidentally, Khaosod, the Thai public were barred from the event, as well. Perhaps that's more upsetting. As a result, I suppose, we will be left with Khaosod to get the real truth to us from behind the curtains. One can hardly wait. This is quite symbolic, actually. The Thai public is thirsting for information, and the future is being discussed behind closed doors. Big surprise.

Not a good start Abhisit not present , no broadcast on TV , not a good look at all., perhaps that old adage is true Scamper, keep em in the dark like Mushrooms and feed them BullS!!t.

Who wants to vote in Scamper as TVs resident critic or commentator? I get a good laugh from the reports every day. A bit one eyed and reads a bit like The Nation ;)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The PCAD are by far not the people, they a fraction of the people, and as for the EC allowing some of them in and to hang banners, well that was straight up DUMB,,,! It also show a clear favoritism of this group and the EC have been seen showing it yet again.

Whether it is true or not does not matter. It is the perception that matters and that perception is two-fold: 1. the EC caves in to any and all demands from a certain Person's Commitee for Absolutue Dictatorship; and 2. The EC is not impartial. The EC not only has to do its job, it has to be clearly seen to be doing its job efficiently and without favouritsm.

Of course Khun Abhisit knew in advance that a demonstration was planned and his "security concerns" were that he knew the mob would be going there looking for trouble.

Khun Abhisit knows indeed. Hence why he wants to win an election by default again... Should start playing golf or tennis back in his native land of England instead of pretending to be a Thai....just a random thought.

The EC decided not to have the meeting televised because it hasn't allowed it in the past. So much for reform! Afraid of 'heated exchanges'? What is wrong with 'heated exchanges' in a democracy?

On the other hand, it is clear that the PDRC/PCAD will attempt to disrupt another election. Violence is the only surety.

The forecast for the rule of law returning to Thailand is slim and none. Anarchy continues. How much more damage to the economy will it take before people wake up?

Heated exchanges everyday of Australian polies, can't people simply grow up? Big woopee!

So Abhitsit is scared of the PCAD or the monk? He is once again showing is true colors. Afraid he may upset Uncle Suthep at the last minute.

It's probably because he heard the meeting wasn't going to be televised. So no longer is he only good for talking, he's good for boycotting too...........................

I wonder whether, in the light of today's news that a specific death-threat had been made on Facebook, by a Red-Shirt against former-PM Abhisit, any of the posters would have revised their posts above ?

• Like 2

Khun Abhisit knows indeed. Hence why he wants to win an election by default again... Should start playing golf or tennis back in his native land of England instead of pretending to be a Thai....just a random thought.

No thoughts.

He's a Thai national. One with more motivation and balls than his keyboard critics. He shows up to hearings, charges etc. while his main opponent hides in the sand among tons of armed guards. Hmm.

• Like 1

Abhisit was right then, security WAS a concern, again . . .

Good to see the EC ignoring CAPO and putting them back in their place, i.e. nothing you've said so far has ANYTHING to do with maintaining peace and order, merely instructions/orders/demands/threats/intimidation from Thaksin.

Bad to see PCAD disrupting a process that "should" (in theory) allow the country to "move forward" somewhat . . .

Oh I don't think he's afraid of the friendly old PDRC

abhisit-whistle-suthep.jpg

It's probably because he heard the meeting wasn't going to be televised. So no longer is he only good for talking, he's good for boycotting too...........................

Still only a blue whistle member, sad. xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png

• Like 1