Any tips on losing a beer gut ?

billybatson

I don't consider myself fat or overweight. I'm 73kg (5 ft 8 tall, 45 years old). But I am out of shape and I have a beer gut / pot belly which I've had for over 10 years now.

I would love to get rid of the beer gut, I don't want a 6 pack or anything crazy like that. Just want to lose the gut.

Can anyone recommend the best or quickest (or both) ways of losing it? I know it'll come down to both diet and exercise but I could use some experienced guidance.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop drinking beer?

Seriously, you cannot spot reduce. Just have to consume less calories and do some exercise. I go to fitness everyday, dont kill myself, just do some stepper, and lift some weights,,,nothing too heavy,,,and I walk more.....i cut out the beer to maybe weekends only,,,,after about 6 weeks, you should have some pleasant results

I'm not much of a drinker (hardly drink at all now in fact) so it's not beer thats giving me the gut. I think its age, genes (my old man and brother have exactly the same gut) combined with a sedentary lifestyle. I enjoy my food but I don't eat much crap (fast food, convenience food). I cook all the time but I probably consume too may carbs (love pasta, potatoes and rice) and have too much dairy (love cheese and full fat milk). I've never been to a gym but I have got myself a set of weights now (barbell, dumbells) and an exercise ball. I don't run, cycle or swim and I've got a serious back injury (had spine surgery not so long ago for a slipped disc). I don't want that to be an excuse but there are some exercises that scare me (dead lifts, crunches for example).

But I really want to try and do something.

Consider avoiding saturated fats and replace with healthier fats. Definitely eliminate ALL transfats (but its hidden in commercial foods so not easy).
Some research links SATURATED fat more to fat stomachs. More modern obesity scientists understand calories from different sources are NOT the same in how the body deals with them.
If you've got a fat stomach, sorry, you do have a weight related issue with potential health implications regardless of the scale number/BMI number.

Saturated Fat Linked to Accumulation of Dangerous Belly Fat

Eating saturated fat leads to the accumulation of more visceral fat and less muscle mass than eating polyunsaturated fat, according to new research published in the journal Diabetes. Visceral fat, a dangerous type of abdominal fat that wraps itself around the internal organs, has been linked to metabolic disturbances such as Type 2 diabetes.

I'm not much of a drinker (hardly drink at all now in fact) so it's not beer thats giving me the gut. I think its age, genes (my old man and brother have exactly the same gut) combined with a sedentary lifestyle. I enjoy my food but I don't eat much crap (fast food, convenience food). I cook all the time but I probably consume too may carbs (love pasta, potatoes and rice) and have too much dairy (love cheese and full fat milk). I've never been to a gym but I have got myself a set of weights now (barbell, dumbells) and an exercise ball. I don't run, cycle or swim and I've got a serious back injury (had spine surgery not so long ago for a slipped disc). I don't want that to be an excuse but there are some exercises that scare me (dead lifts, crunches for example).

Hi, it's early days for me, however my chiropractor "strongly suggested" https://www.foundationtraining.com to fully recover from my back injury and prevent a recurrence. Note that he does this as well, because of broken spine in the past. They have sufficient free videos to get started, and that's what the chiro recommended. It is starting well so far. Take a look for yourself.

The obvious already stated, reduce your intake of beer OR start taking up more frequent and moderate exercise to "battle the beer bulge". I LOVE my Chang and probably get in a few each week but usually only in 1-2 sittings. BUT I walk 3-5 kilometers every day and at a brisk pace. Use to run..., bad knee and soon to be replaced.

If you continue to eat western style foods STOP! Especially fast foods. It's killing your friends and family..., now it's killing Thais...., it will kill you! Go to the local markets. Buy the fruits and vegetables so readily available here and consume them in quantity. I buy meat but mostly pork and fish. I eat the local fish but take Benda (Mebendazole) 2 times a year. No issues.

Carrying excess weight in the mid section is a prescription for cardiovascular disaster. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-risks-of-belly-fat

It doesn't take more than TWENTY decent sessions of good walking and moderate weights to see things start to reverse. If you can find some "core" exercises to do, do them. Don't pretend to do what you did when you were 20. Do what you can and note the increase in ability over a reasonably short period of time. Here are some to try: http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness_top_ten/53_fitness_list.html

I'm 56. When I came here in 2010 I was tipping the scales at 87K (192 pounds). In less than 7 months I was down to 74K (164 pounds). The reason? Lots of walking, moderate weights training and eating local FRESH foods. It works.

I wish you the best. To your health and a long happy life...., WITH beer!!!!

If you are serious, stop alcohol completely for 90 days and exercise. You can walk 6 to 8 km or 3 to 5 miles a day for starters, and what really helped me in addition was a free ifone app called "lose it". You set your goal for what you need to lose in the gut, must be 7kg for 5'8" and your calories required to reach that goal in 90 days with exercise. then after each meal enter exactly what you ate and drank and your daily total against the goal. It also allows you to put in what fitness you did for that day to burn calories. A very good app. I lost and never got it back now after almost 5 years and now can enjoy a casual beer or two or glass or wine when I wish. Good luck. Try "Lose it" ...if you have ifone.

I don't consider myself fat or overweight. I'm 73kg (5 ft 8 tall, 45 years old). But I am out of shape and I have a beer gut / pot belly which I've had for over 10 years now.

I would love to get rid of the beer gut, I don't want a 6 pack or anything crazy like that. Just want to lose the gut.

Can anyone recommend the best or quickest (or both) ways of losing it? I know it'll come down to both diet and exercise but I could use some experienced guidance.

Personal trainer here.

Stomach fat is usually linked to high production of insulin in the body. Basically, your body makes more than you need, and what you don't use gets turned into fat deposits (usually around the stomach area). What causes your body to make too much insulin? Insulin production is your body's natural response to sugar. Sugar causes your glucose (blood sugar) to go up, so your body makes insulin as a response.

When I say sugar, I don't just mean "sugar." Carbs (pasta, rice, bread) are also sugars. So are fruits and most drinks (besides water and diet stuff). Now, I'm not saying you need to give up fruits or all your carbs, but you do need to cut them down considerably in order to avoid the insulin production thing I mentioned.

As for getting rid of the belly that's already there, I'm afraid there's no such thing as "spot reduction." So you'll need to change the way you eat (more lean protein, less carbs) and exercise. Crunches are great for toning, but they won't do anything to help you lose the belly. Exercise will also use some of that excess sugar you might be consuming, so your body doesn't need to make so much insulin to control it.

So, diet and exercise. Not a huge surprise there.

We all know its not as easy as drink less beer, i train myself to not use escalators or lifts always use stairs and say im privileged to use stairs and not a cripple etc. do exercise you can enjoy, buy pushbike, go beach, swim, bush walk, walk to shops, drink more water, dont eat just because its lunchtime wait and have early dinner, never eat late and most importantly more rigorous boom boom!

If the problem is putting on clothing, there's a better solution than Thailand.

Move to China. Women insist on dressing you - it's horrible!!!

Remember as a toddler when your arm became a mangled heap up by the side of your head as mother mis-applied a t-shirt sleeve. You got it!!

More seriously, whilst you can't spot reduce as such, you can undertake exercise regimes to tighten the underlying muscle. Also, core work on the spine will help. In other words, part of the problem is likely to be posture - but at the end of the day, beyond those issues, you can only consider a general weight loss regime and hope some goes from the stomach. That's just a case of less calories in or more out, or both.

Easy.

Stop drinking too much beer.

Buy some fat burning anabolic steroids from the pharmacy.

Buy some kettlebells and do some abdominal training with them. You will find videos on the net.

Get out and do 2 hours walking everyday. Walking is a good way of burning fat.

Measure your gut now and then measure it again in 2 weeks.

Looks like you have done a good self-analysis and know losing weight will require diietary changes and exercise.

I would recommend a gym and spend the money on a PT (personal trainer) since you have a recent back injury and using proper form is absolutely essential when using any weight equipment.

If done properly, by building up slowly and using moderation, you should be able to avoid re-injury to your back. Getting proper massages will also cut down on the pain and fatigue you will surely feel in the beginning that makes you want to quit.

The biggest chance of success will come iwhen you look at this as an actual long-term lifestyle change and not just a quick effort to shed a few pounds. Ask any woman about those fast result yo-yo diets--they don't work.

Ask any guy our age and older and they will tell you its harder and harder to stay fit--thats why you need to look at this long-term with healthy long-term changes to diet and lifestyle.

Not preaching, man, we've all been there, or are there.

One caution is diet supplements. They can really mess you up. Do your homework before starting any dietary supplement regiment--they are mostly mega doses of caffeine.

See ya at the gym.

The obvious already stated, reduce your intake of beer OR start taking up more frequent and moderate exercise to "battle the beer bulge". I LOVE my Chang and probably get in a few each week but usually only in 1-2 sittings. BUT I walk 3-5 kilometers every day and at a brisk pace. Use to run..., bad knee and soon to be replaced.

If you continue to eat western style foods STOP! Especially fast foods. It's killing your friends and family..., now it's killing Thais...., it will kill you! Go to the local markets. Buy the fruits and vegetables so readily available here and consume them in quantity. I buy meat but mostly pork and fish. I eat the local fish but take Benda (Mebendazole) 2 times a year. No issues.

Carrying excess weight in the mid section is a prescription for cardiovascular disaster. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-risks-of-belly-fat

It doesn't take more than TWENTY decent sessions of good walking and moderate weights to see things start to reverse. If you can find some "core" exercises to do, do them. Don't pretend to do what you did when you were 20. Do what you can and note the increase in ability over a reasonably short period of time. Here are some to try: http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness_top_ten/53_fitness_list.html

I'm 56. When I came here in 2010 I was tipping the scales at 87K (192 pounds). In less than 7 months I was down to 74K (164 pounds). The reason? Lots of walking, moderate weights training and eating local FRESH foods. It works.

I wish you the best. To your health and a long happy life...., WITH beer!!!!

Great encouraging post but its not just Western foods that will cause damage. Its most every food at the street vendor that is deep deep deep fried. So like you mentioned, cook at home and cook smart using things like PAM instead of butter, etc, etc.

You nailed it with fruits & veggies but wash them thoroughly.

You also nailed it with the walking. Brisk walking is an excellent exercise. Go to Lumpini Park in the early part of Sunday mornings. Even with all the protesters, Sunday mornings are filled with like minded people and makes for a great, positive experience.

As for beer, until you get down to your desired weight, you need to refrain.

Ephedrine + gym + 600 calories per day will get it away in no time

OP, this guy has dumbells for brains and following his advice will get you hurt.

Manners, mister. Obviously OP has already tried "eliminate junk food and alcohol, reduce carbs and MOVE one's ass" thing with no luck, so it's the only way, isn't it?

And yes, it will hurt.

Archived