Any tips on losing a beer gut ?

billybatson

On 2/23/2017 at 8:52 AM, dontoearth said:

but no processed carbs like processed oatmeal (truly not a good food);but do use steel cut oats since the glycemic load factor is so much lower with non-processed oats.  ...  If I had any advice it would be great rid of OATMEAL and replace it with steel cut oats.

Could you please explain what you mean by processed oatmeal? I also eat steel cut oats and prefer them by choice, not because I believe they are more healthy, but because I enjoy them more.

A rolled oat is an oat grain that is rolled flat. The steel cut oat is an oat grain cut in half. The instant type is rolled oats cut finer. I need to cook steel cut oats for 20 minutes, regular rolled oats for about 10 minutes and the instant oats are obviously instant. How does rolling an oat grain flat make it less healthy?

I don't see that there are any nutritional differences between the 3 types. You could make a case for the instant oats being healthier as they are cooked less, with less nutrients being destroyed by heat.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, tropo said:

Could you please explain what you mean by processed oatmeal? I also eat steel cut oats and prefer them by choice, not because I believe they are more healthy, but because I enjoy them more.

A rolled oat is an oat grain that is rolled flat. The steel cut oat is an oat grain cut in half. The instant type is rolled oats cut finer. I need to cook steel cut oats for 20 minutes, regular rolled oats for about 10 minutes and the instant oats are obviously instant. How does rolling an oat grain flat make it less healthy?

I don't see that there are any nutritional differences between the 3 types. You could make a case for the instant oats being healthier as they are cooked less, with less nutrients being destroyed by heat.

I have started to pay a lot of attention to glycemic loads of food.  I found that lower glycemic food stayed in my stomach longer, I needed smaller portions of it, and it satisfied my hunger easier and my hunger stayed satisfied for hours.  High glycemic foods which are processed flours,  bars with sugar added, pasta, white rice really go thru my body fast and cause hunger cravings.  It makes it impossible for me to cut back on the amount of food I eat.

You are eating the best type of oats the steel cut oats.  They are literally the oat kernel that has gone thru an auger to be cut into one or two pieces.  Not much processing there.  Rolled oats are actually steamed and then crushed and sometimes toasted.  These processes make them easier to digest but increase the glycemic load a lot.  Those instant oats are cut finer after these processes making them easier to digest and much higher on the glycemic index.  Those adding brown sugar and maple syrup are even higher.

from one of the links below:

" A 250 g serving of oatmeal -- a 9-oz. bowl -- has a GI of 58. A bowl of instant oatmeal has a GI of 83. The process of milling grains, such as oats or wheat, removes some of their fiber content, which accelerates digestion and raises the food's GI. If you want to reduce the GI of your oatmeal, avoid the instant varieties and try coarser, minimally processed oats. "

http://www.lowglycemicload.com/index.cfm?ID=109

http://www.livestrong.com/article/313683-what-is-the-glycemic-index-of-oatmeal/

BTW, you don't need to cook steel cut oats.  You can soak them overnight in milk (or whatever you use as milk) in a one-to-one ratio in the frig and they are chewy and edible in the morning. Even less processing!

• 1 month later...

sounds like a just getting older issue. most men experience this problem at your age. you can get rid of the belly through diet and exercise but its going to take twice as much effort then when you were younger and the effort needed just increases as you age.

your going to be 50 soon and frankly by then it wont be worth the effort much longer, unless you enjoy it anyway which does not seem to be your problem.

embrace it, hide it or fight it, but any way you cut it its a losing battle.

9 hours ago, JimCrane said:

sounds like a just getting older issue. most men experience this problem at your age. you can get rid of the belly through diet and exercise but its going to take twice as much effort then when you were younger and the effort needed just increases as you age.

your going to be 50 soon and frankly by then it wont be worth the effort much longer, unless you enjoy it anyway which does not seem to be your problem.

I find staying lean is as easy at 57 as it was many years ago, and perhaps even easier as the appetite has decreased.

Woh, that's defeatist talk!

I started dieting and exercising at the start of February.  I have lost about 7Kg, and now only have some 'floppy' love handles that will soon be gone.  My abs muscles are just beginning to appear as my fat layer reduces.

I'm 58 in a couple of months, never felt healthier in my life, (just back from a 4 Km fast walk/jog around the park).

51 minutes ago, ballzafire said:

1. Decrease high-glycemic foods (processed sugar, etc)
2. Increase exercise

Sorry, there's still no magic pill. No pain, no gain (or loss,in your case...)

Sorry, just a slight moderation to the old "no pain, no gain" mantra... let's call it "no effort, no gain". Pain is not necessary and usually counterproductive when trying to get into shape. The body fights against pain and the pain eventually wins the battle.

What...? Exercise is not 'painful' if one is out of shape? Of course it is. That is what the body's endorphin release is for -- to reinforce the activity.

It's also the reason for the high drop out rate among overweight/out of shape people when they first join a health club -- they can't handle the initial pain.

But, you knew that...

30 minutes ago, ballzafire said:

What...? Exercise is not 'painful' if one is out of shape? Of course it is. That is what the body's endorphin release is for -- to reinforce the activity.

It's also the reason for the high drop out rate among overweight/out of shape people when they first join a health club -- they can't handle the initial pain.

But, you knew that...

Exercise does not have to be painful if you're starting out. In fact, if it is, then you're doing it wrong as it will slow your progress.

Impatience is the biggest enemy for beginners.

In fact, the easiest time to train is when you're starting out. That's the time you don't need to put in a lot of effort to get benefits. As you get fitter you need to work harder to improve.

Swimming combined with stomach crunches is the best. What works for some does not work for others though. 

Cutting down or giving up alcohol  but no fad diets. I couldn't give up carbs lol, or cheese, or chocolate or anything else but the key is moderation.

Some on here have posted diet advice, all good but check with a doc. I'm 172cm, weight around 58-59 kgs, when I feel the clothes getting tighter I cut down and do more laps. I have no aspirations of emulating a stick insect but a healthy, toned body is nice to have.

One thing about your body, the metabolism slows down with age, called the 'aging process' obviously. 

I've never been a gym fan, I used to be in it after the birth of my boys but it is a bore, plus it ends up a bunch of expat wives quaffing Vienna Starbucks after a good workout which defies the purpose. Good, healthy well balanced diet is the key and active lifestyle. 

Zooming in on a beer gut alone will not work, it has to be the whole body experience to get any benefits imo.

I'm no stay at home expat wife btw, squeezing it all in is good, wake up 6am, ten laps of the pool, morning sex is great too hahahaha and off to work.

Archived