Any tips on losing a beer gut ?

billybatson

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with beer is that it relaxes (as all alcohol does) the gut muscles and then the pasta or quantity of liquid (hence beer worse than other alcohols) start putting pressure on the relaxed muscles and banging out the belly. Sure drinking less beer helps but even drinking at different time would also help (don't have a beer before or during dinner). Leave a margin of an hour or two before or after food and the shape should start to change...if you do any ab exercises - first thing in the morning, few but gentle will activate the muscles and support your back more (be gentle, and just do 10-15 reps x2 = about a minute) and that will reduce the risk following your back surgery as the muscles will actively support your torso putting less strain on your back. If you can do the same before your main meal of the day you will see a difference in 2-3weeks.

Good luck

Small dinner not later than 6pm, not fried donuts, something healthy - steamed fish, steamed chicken etc.

I think the eating late theory has been debunked it is simply in vs. out

yes it is an in vs. out....But you can have it easy or difficult. Eating less on evening seems to make things easier for people.

I suppose you answer you question by yourself: it's not happened overnight so, it a long run for losing it as well.

this is the key to success: as long as you know that your have long journey, do it in a way that your body can handle it. so you'd always have motivation to continue this journey until the day you reach your goal.

you can lose eight so fast, but any fast solution will fail because you're body can't handle it for a long period

Try this: Pinch the fat a few inches next to your belly button. More than likely you'll have perhaps two inches at the max. Now consider--your belly girth is much greater than the two inches of exterior fat. Why? Where does the other several inches of girth come from?

The reason is visceral fat, which is fat under the abdominal wall. Build-up of visceral fat is a genetic thing. For instance some men, as often seen in Jewish men fat builds up not in the abdomen but in the buttocks.

The problem with visceral fat is that it has an inordinate need for (actually a sort of resistance) insulin. Insulin is needed by every living cell in the body and fat cells needs to be maintained. Men with "guts" usually have increased levels of fasting insulin. They also often have slowly increasing fasting glucose blood levels.

Insulin is necessary for life, but increasing levels of insulin has toxic effects. The "worst" effects are upon the circulatory system leading to damage especially on the innermost lining of arteries all the way to capillaries. Other effects frequently include blood pressure increase (hypertension). Hypertension leads to arterial (including capillaries) thickening. Our capillaries "leak" blood plasma, and this plasma offers nutrition and removes waste products from parts of our body that do not directly receive blood via the lymphatic system. Thicker blood vessels do not properly leak this plasma. This leads to many issues including one that is often not talked about which is erectile dysfunction. Damage to the innermost lining of the arteries allow lipids to "leak" in between the multiple linings of our blood vessels creating atheroslerotic plaque causing atherosclerosis. Should a portion of artery with this plaque "break" the subsequent leakage of partially calcified lipids can enter the blood stream and block arteries elsewhere as in a myocardial infarction (heart attack). Increased adipose fat vastly increases the likelihood of becoming diabetic in a vicious sort of cycle.

Bottom line: "Beer belly fat" is dangerous. If >30% BMI for most males, one moves into obesity and health risks abound. The answer is simple, though the cure is not. Lose it such that you are of normal weight or at least not obese. As mentioned there is zero ways of removing it other than via liposuction (with its own risks) as a spot reduction. If one does not do so I shall not say "lose it or die," because we do not die easily. Rather it is lose it or lose your erection, lose circulation to your legs, get diabetes, lose your kidneys and die a very slow and miserable death.

Sorry I do not mince words.

One suggestion is to answer this question: A friend invites you over for dinner. The friend is a great cook except for one thing, deserts are horrid. On this day you have a dinner and then the friend announces that instead of making the (horrid) usual dessert there is an entire tray of goodies that look very tempting. However you have eaten your fill. Choose one:

1) You say: "No thanks, I'm full.

2) You say: "That looks good, I'll have a tiny slice of that."

3) You eat and the more goodies you eat the more you want.

If 1 or 2 do a weight watchers (low calorie, careful what you eat) diet.

If 3 you are likely over-reactive to carbs. In this case try a very low carb diet such as Atkins.

@jsflynn603

Wonderful post.

Would, however, suggest answer on friend should be to get a new friend! I constantly wonder why it is that we can get support across a range of issues, but weight-loss isn't one of them. "Go-on, have a little. It won't do any harm", etc. I'm really worried about my weight (and I mean weight, not just fat!). The other day my mother listened, without interest (OK, I do bang on about it), then said she'd sent me a load of chocolate for Easter. Why? Do, for instance, sugar addicts have that same need as Class A misusers, to pull others in? Or smokers offering cigars to non-smokers - actually, doing more than just offering, as the sugar I mentioned. What are those behaviours about? If my Mum wanted to send me an Easter gift, why not a book, something that I hold in regard?

@jsflynn603

Wonderful post.

Would, however, suggest answer on friend should be to get a new friend! I constantly wonder why it is that we can get support across a range of issues, but weight-loss isn't one of them. "Go-on, have a little. It won't do any harm", etc. I'm really worried about my weight (and I mean weight, not just fat!). The other day my mother listened, without interest (OK, I do bang on about it), then said she'd sent me a load of chocolate for Easter. Why? Do, for instance, sugar addicts have that same need as Class A misusers, to pull others in? Or smokers offering cigars to non-smokers - actually, doing more than just offering, as the sugar I mentioned. What are those behaviours about? If my Mum wanted to send me an Easter gift, why not a book, something that I hold in regard?

If a friend said "here, have a hit of this," and drugs were not something you liked the idea of, you'd say: "no thank you."

The reality is that most people really are not addicted to sweets (carbs) and though we might despise them, that big chocolate Easter bunny might sit on their shelf for a month till it gets throw out. But for an addict such as myself--one bite begets a second, and that a third, and then......a huge pizza and so the cravings begin.

I find that when I go on a successful Atkins type diet the cravings simply disappear and I think the reason is that for normal people the upswing of insulin is slower and returns to baseline. But for me the upswing of insulin is rapid, and overshoots, only to fall precipitously actually putting me beneath baseline an hour later--the effect is my body says: "hunger."

When I'm good I can take the sweet gift, take a nibble and then give it away or throw it in the trash when I slip (as I did with my Easter bunny) I'll just restart the low carb diet. It works insanely well when I'm on it. My desire for exercise (indoor rowing or outdoor biking increases); the necessary amount of sleep time drops from 8 to 7 hours, and I consistently lose 1-1.5lbs/week having just lost 21lbs between early January and the day before Easter.

I've gained 4lbs but that is to be expected, on a very low carb diet the body depletes glycogen and each glycogen molecule has many water molecules attached. So the first 4-6lbs of rapid weight loss on such a diet is water, and go "off" the diet, and it rapidly returns.

I eat reasonably on the low carb diet and don't glut myself on pounds of bacon but eat cheese and plenty of fried (lean) chicken and yet my lipid profile is quite remarkable (though I do use 6.3mg of rosuvastatin, a small amount of lipid regulator).

Beer belly = Syndrom X aka "Metabolic syndrome," if I do not keep in the normal or at least overweight (avoiding obesity) I will eventually become diabetic. It's a struggle.

We make choices and cannot expect others to always understand them especially mothers.

Wow, 3 pages of responses already! A lot of great advice and many things I will try. Some not-so-great (drugs, steroids, crash diets) I will ignore and some misunderstandings and assumptions made. Firstly I don't drink beer (never did much before and for the last few years almost never at all) - its just a description of my gut/belly. And I'm not drinking any other alcohol. So my excess belly fat is not down to beer/alcohol.

Many responses talked about doing stuff in Thailand. I know this is Thaivisa.com but I don't live in Thailand. I'm in the cold damp UK. (are most of you guys expats now living in LOS ?, wish it was me, but its not).

The insulin explanation sounds very compelling - I definitely have too much sugar in my diet (I put sugar in my tea, on cereal, and I do like sweet stuff - chocolate, crisps - not every day but probably every other day). I don't drink soda but I do like fruit juices - orange juice, apple juice. It'll be hard to cut all of that out but I'm prepared to try. Is it okay to eat fresh fruits (and dried fruits - raisins etc) and nuts (cashews etc - no salt) ? Ok I need to drink a lot more water, that's understood. 5L a day? that's a lot. I'll be pissing like a horse but it'll be good for my metabolism, skin, and general health right?

Carbs is the biggest challenge. I eat bread every day, have done all my life. Is all bread bad? I love potatoes, but I also love sweet potatoes so I think I can just switch to sweet potatoes only. As for rice, I've only eaten white (thai, jasmine, long grain). but I'll try brown. It can't taste that bad can it? Rice doesn't taste of anything anyway. Pasta is my favourite, I just can't imagine giving that up. What about brown pasta? Is that still bad?

Vegetables I'm willing to try more. I already eat lots of carrots, onions, garlic, peppers, spring onions. And I eat loads of tomatoes (I know its technically a fruit but we all treat it like vegetable). I eat them raw and in cooking with most of the dishes I make. They're super-healthy aren't they? And I do like things like broccoli and cabbage (but they're usually in a stew,casserole or boiled). I don't think I've ever had steamed veg - I need to buy a steamer.

Meat - I usually have minced beef or stew once per week, bacon once per week, pork sausages once per week, chicken 1 or 2 times per week, pork chops/fillets once per week.

Poultry - I have chicken 1 or 2 times per week - almost always breast/fillets. I like duck but don't often have it (tend to eat more of it in Thailand tho). Maybe I should have more duck ? BTW I hate turkey, let's not even go there. It's not happening.

Fish - I have fish at least once per week, nowhere near enough I know. This I really want to change. My problem is my limited diet - of cod, haddock, tuna. I know oily fish is considered very healthy but I don't like salmon, mackerel etc. Most fish I've tried tastes too much like fish, if you know what I mean - I just don't like the taste and smell of fish. Shellfish I usually don't go near - the times I've tried it have usually made me very ill. Although I do like prawn cocktail and scampi (I'm not sure thats prawns but its some kind of deep fried fish).

Dairy - I need to cut out the cheese - I eat cheese (mostly cheddar, and other hard cheeses - edam, jarlsberg,etc) every day. I can't imagine giving it up completely, maybe cut back to once per week, then try once per fortnight, per month ? What about milk? I drink full fat milk mainly because I want the calcium (for my thin bones - I have degenerative bone disease - diagnosed with osteopenia, and at high risk of developing osteoperosis sooner rather than later). I know there are supplements for calcium (and vitamin D) but I've tried them and I hated the side effects, so I want to get that from my diet only. If I stop drinking full fat milk, what other foods can give me calcium, but not the fat/calories ?

Thanks for all the exercise and weight training info and resources. I will check them out. I like the idea of brisk walks - I can do that everyday. I find jogging hurts my back after a very short time so I'm not ready for that yet. Cycling is something I'm sure I could do, although I'm not sure I could do it regularly enough (going out cycling that is). What about indoor cycles ? - a good investment? I've read many things about cardio being the most important exercise of all, so I want to do a lot more of that. I know I'm out of shape. I live in a flat, 3 levels up and I'm sometimes out of breath just climbing the stairs. I don't have a heartbeat monitor but I can feel my pulse going like crazy when I do any strenuous exercise so I want to lower my heart rate, exercising and resting.

I've lots of other questions about exercise but I'll come back to this later. It's now well past my bedtime and I'm tired - that's another issue - I'm sure I don't get enough sleep. More on that, later. Signing out for now - Billy Batson (sadly not Captain Marvel) biggrin.png

Well, try HIIT www.sixpackfactory.com -> work out videos

Replace breakfast and dinner with a casein drink.

With too much casein I start to fart pretty bad......That kills the other recommendation for more sex.....

Worse than when eating a lot eggs.

Splash out and go get some Lyposuction.

if the belly is hard, the fat sits below the muscles. I got told there they can't do a Liposuction. It can be done just on the "surface" fat.

Wow, 3 pages of responses already! A lot of great advice and many things I will try. Some not-so-great (drugs, steroids, crash diets) I will ignore and some misunderstandings and assumptions made. Firstly I don't drink beer (never did much before and for the last few years almost never at all) - its just a description of my gut/belly. And I'm not drinking any other alcohol. So my excess belly fat is not down to beer/alcohol.

Many responses talked about doing stuff in Thailand. I know this is Thaivisa.com but I don't live in Thailand. I'm in the cold damp UK. (are most of you guys expats now living in LOS ?, wish it was me, but its not).

The insulin explanation sounds very compelling - I definitely have too much sugar in my diet (I put sugar in my tea, on cereal, and I do like sweet stuff - chocolate, crisps - not every day but probably every other day). I don't drink soda but I do like fruit juices - orange juice, apple juice. It'll be hard to cut all of that out but I'm prepared to try. Is it okay to eat fresh fruits (and dried fruits - raisins etc) and nuts (cashews etc - no salt) ? Ok I need to drink a lot more water, that's understood. 5L a day? that's a lot. I'll be pissing like a horse but it'll be good for my metabolism, skin, and general health right?

Carbs is the biggest challenge. I eat bread every day, have done all my life. Is all bread bad? I love potatoes, but I also love sweet potatoes so I think I can just switch to sweet potatoes only. As for rice, I've only eaten white (thai, jasmine, long grain). but I'll try brown. It can't taste that bad can it? Rice doesn't taste of anything anyway. Pasta is my favourite, I just can't imagine giving that up. What about brown pasta? Is that still bad?

Vegetables I'm willing to try more. I already eat lots of carrots, onions, garlic, peppers, spring onions. And I eat loads of tomatoes (I know its technically a fruit but we all treat it like vegetable). I eat them raw and in cooking with most of the dishes I make. They're super-healthy aren't they? And I do like things like broccoli and cabbage (but they're usually in a stew,casserole or boiled). I don't think I've ever had steamed veg - I need to buy a steamer.

Meat - I usually have minced beef or stew once per week, bacon once per week, pork sausages once per week, chicken 1 or 2 times per week, pork chops/fillets once per week.

Poultry - I have chicken 1 or 2 times per week - almost always breast/fillets. I like duck but don't often have it (tend to eat more of it in Thailand tho). Maybe I should have more duck ? BTW I hate turkey, let's not even go there. It's not happening.

Fish - I have fish at least once per week, nowhere near enough I know. This I really want to change. My problem is my limited diet - of cod, haddock, tuna. I know oily fish is considered very healthy but I don't like salmon, mackerel etc. Most fish I've tried tastes too much like fish, if you know what I mean - I just don't like the taste and smell of fish. Shellfish I usually don't go near - the times I've tried it have usually made me very ill. Although I do like prawn cocktail and scampi (I'm not sure thats prawns but its some kind of deep fried fish).

Dairy - I need to cut out the cheese - I eat cheese (mostly cheddar, and other hard cheeses - edam, jarlsberg,etc) every day. I can't imagine giving it up completely, maybe cut back to once per week, then try once per fortnight, per month ? What about milk? I drink full fat milk mainly because I want the calcium (for my thin bones - I have degenerative bone disease - diagnosed with osteopenia, and at high risk of developing osteoperosis sooner rather than later). I know there are supplements for calcium (and vitamin D) but I've tried them and I hated the side effects, so I want to get that from my diet only. If I stop drinking full fat milk, what other foods can give me calcium, but not the fat/calories ?

Thanks for all the exercise and weight training info and resources. I will check them out. I like the idea of brisk walks - I can do that everyday. I find jogging hurts my back after a very short time so I'm not ready for that yet. Cycling is something I'm sure I could do, although I'm not sure I could do it regularly enough (going out cycling that is). What about indoor cycles ? - a good investment? I've read many things about cardio being the most important exercise of all, so I want to do a lot more of that. I know I'm out of shape. I live in a flat, 3 levels up and I'm sometimes out of breath just climbing the stairs. I don't have a heartbeat monitor but I can feel my pulse going like crazy when I do any strenuous exercise so I want to lower my heart rate, exercising and resting.

I've lots of other questions about exercise but I'll come back to this later. It's now well past my bedtime and I'm tired - that's another issue - I'm sure I don't get enough sleep. More on that, later. Signing out for now - Billy Batson (sadly not Captain Marvel) biggrin.png

yes definitely the carbs and the sugar is your main problem. From reading your posting, it seems to cut everything you like to eat is the solution sad.png

Indoor cycles: It strongly depends on you. The problem is, that it is terrible boring. But if you for example like to use it while watching TV than it is great.

weight training and putting on muscles helps to burn more energy and makes the same belly, just looking less big.

Most important is what you like, because you'll stop a sport you don't like.

I've lots of other questions about exercise but I'll come back to this later. It's now well past my bedtime and I'm tired - that's another issue - I'm sure I don't get enough sleep. More on that, later. Signing out for now - Billy Batson (sadly not Captain Marvel

You need to get rest but if you do the cyclying, walking and add some weight training ( burns more calories for longer time) you will feel stronger , won't get out of breath so easily and heart will be stronger and you will probably sleep better.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/fitness/

http://healthyliving.msn.com/diseases/depression/15-depression-fighters

I've lots of other questions about exercise but I'll come back to this later. It's now well past my bedtime and I'm tired - that's another issue - I'm sure I don't get enough sleep. More on that, later. Signing out for now - Billy Batson (sadly not Captain Marvel

You need to get rest but if you do the cyclying, walking and add some weight training ( burns more calories for longer time) you will feel stronger , won't get out of breath so easily and heart will be stronger and you will probably sleep better.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/fitness/

http://healthyliving.msn.com/diseases/depression/15-depression-fighters

Only with less weight the pulse is going down. Even more when climbing the stairs because less body must be supplied with blood, and less weight is moved up. Some training, either cardio or weight will boost that even more.

But even complete without training, after reducing 20 kg you feel like a bird when climbing the stairs.

HealthDay News) -- The more muscle older adults have, the lower their risk of death, according to a new study.

Researchers analyzed data from more than 3,600 older adults who took part in the U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey between 1988 and 1994. The participants included men 55 and older and women 65 and older.

As part of the survey, the participants underwent tests to determine their muscle mass index, which is the amount of muscle relative to height.

The investigators used a follow-up survey done in 2004 to determine how many of the participants had died of natural causes and how muscle mass was related to death risk. People with the highest levels of muscle mass were significantly less likely to have died than those with the lowest levels of muscle mass.

"In other words, the greater your muscle mass, the lower your risk of death," study co-author Dr. Arun Karlamangla, an associate professor in the geriatrics division at University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, said in a university news release. "Thus, rather than worrying about weight or body mass index, we should be trying to maximize and maintain muscle mass."

The study was published online recently in the American Journal of Medicine.

@Tony125

Your latest post was fascinating.

At a personal level, though, I don't know whether I'm coming or going - quite literally!

I've the vastest slab of visceral fat you've ever seen. Equally, I've an upper torso that's one solid slab of muscle. My legs are, also, hugely muscular.

I wonder what that all means? Maybe everything cancels out and I should drop at average male age???!

Of course it's diet and exercise, you are what you eat. Try to keep in mind "If it's white it's not right" when you are about to eat. Try to eliminate all refined sugar from your diet, also. No Cola's, Fantas's, Sugary drinks. If you have been out of shape for a long time by living a sedentary lifestyle, start easy on exercising. No sense dropping dead from a heart attack. If you don't see noticeable results after 90 days, have a Liver function test done. Stay away from dietary supplements as they are B.S. and a waste of money. Good Luck!

Of course it's diet and exercise, you are what you eat. Try to keep in mind "If it's white it's not right" when you are about to eat. Try to eliminate all refined sugar from your diet, also. No Cola's, Fantas's, Sugary drinks. If you have been out of shape for a long time by living a sedentary lifestyle, start easy on exercising. No sense dropping dead from a heart attack. If you don't see noticeable results after 90 days, have a Liver function test done. Stay away from dietary supplements as they are B.S. and a waste of money. Good Luck!

Well Yoghurt is white as well.

Here on the forum you'll find most everyone a member of the starve-and-sweat, calories in/calories out school of weight loss. It was standard but is now outdated, yet the appeal to the simple-minded is just too powerful to overcome. By this theory, an elephant is bigger than a cheetah because it eats more and a cheetah runs more. smile.png. You see, something critically important has been overlooked.

Fastest method of losing weight is to follow the low-carb diet. Lots of resources on the 'net. It's also the easiest to maintain and has the best record for longevity among dieters.

This lengthy video explains what's wrong with calories in/calories out and how all calories aren't created equal. Understand the theory first and you'll be able to apply it because then you know why it works and what you're doing.

Review of research w/ case studies: http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Here's a success story suggesting that all calories are indeed not created equal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2459915/Could-low-fat-diet-make-EVEN-FATTER-As-experts-question-conventional-wisdom-diets-extraordinary-results-mans-experiment.html

You can find Dr. Westin's diet from the Duke Univ. center here (and some other info relating to hormones):

http://www.scribd.com/doc/75693022/Gary-Taubes-2010-Why-We-Get-Fat-Annexure

Google for low-carb and paleo success stories and you'll find a vast number, for example, here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/success-story-summaries/

The latest major diet book on the subject: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2459915/Could-low-fat-diet-make-EVEN-FATTER-As-experts-question-conventional-wisdom-diets-extraordinary-results-mans-experiment.html. Read the reviews.

Lies you'll hear repeated here on the forum:

1. Low carb means zero carb

2. Low-carb diets are quick-fix only

3. Low-carb diets are only for the insulin-resistant (after they eat high carb diets and become insulin resistant!)

4. You need grains 'cause you can only get certain nutrients (what?) from grains

5. Low-carb means no veggies

6. Low-carb means no exercise (always recommended, but not for burning calories in particular)

7. Low-carb means you can eat an unlimited amount

8. Low-carb dieting is just a fad (actually, it was the standard way of treating obesity until the mid-1960s)

Ignore that nonsense; no proof from any low-carb guru is ever given, and in fact, if you read the authorities (as I have, but the anti-low-carb brigade won't), you'll find they contract those lies.

Then you mentioned getting into better shape. Fast walking's always good, but esp w/ your back issues, you'll need to do some judicious stretching and back/stomach exercises. Stomach muscles are important for the back and of course will also help hold your gut in. No need to go to a gym. You can just do bodyweight exercises and get into great shape. I recommend you start with bodyweight anyway even if you later go to a gym.

http://www.wildmantraining.com/
http://mattfurey.com...oning_book.html
http://www.bodybuild...un/mahler19.htm
http://lifehacker.co...thou-1525971528

I'm not telling you anything I haven't already done successfully. smile.png

Good luck!

Here on the forum you'll find most everyone a member of the starve-and-sweat, calories in/calories out school of weight loss. It was standard but is now outdated, yet the appeal to the simple-minded is just too powerful to overcome. By this theory, an elephant is bigger than a cheetah because it eats more and a cheetah runs more. smile.png. You see, something critically important has been overlooked.

Fastest method of losing weight is to follow the low-carb diet. Lots of resources on the 'net. It's also the easiest to maintain and has the best record for longevity among dieters.

This lengthy video explains what's wrong with calories in/calories out and how all calories aren't created equal. Understand the theory first and you'll be able to apply it because then you know why it works and what you're doing.

Review of research w/ case studies: http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Here's a success story suggesting that all calories are indeed not created equal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2459915/Could-low-fat-diet-make-EVEN-FATTER-As-experts-question-conventional-wisdom-diets-extraordinary-results-mans-experiment.html

You can find Dr. Westin's diet from the Duke Univ. center here (and some other info relating to hormones):

http://www.scribd.com/doc/75693022/Gary-Taubes-2010-Why-We-Get-Fat-Annexure

Google for low-carb and paleo success stories and you'll find a vast number, for example, here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/success-story-summaries/

The latest major diet book on the subject: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2459915/Could-low-fat-diet-make-EVEN-FATTER-As-experts-question-conventional-wisdom-diets-extraordinary-results-mans-experiment.html. Read the reviews.

Lies you'll hear repeated here on the forum:

1. Low carb means zero carb

2. Low-carb diets are quick-fix only

3. Low-carb diets are only for the insulin-resistant (after they eat high carb diets and become insulin resistant!)

4. You need grains 'cause you can only get certain nutrients (what?) from grains

5. Low-carb means no veggies

6. Low-carb means no exercise (always recommended, but not for burning calories in particular)

7. Low-carb means you can eat an unlimited amount

8. Low-carb dieting is just a fad (actually, it was the standard way of treating obesity until the mid-1960s)

Ignore that nonsense; no proof from any low-carb guru is ever given, and in fact, if you read the authorities (as I have, but the anti-low-carb brigade won't), you'll find they contract those lies.

Then you mentioned getting into better shape. Fast walking's always good, but esp w/ your back issues, you'll need to do some judicious stretching and back/stomach exercises. Stomach muscles are important for the back and of course will also help hold your gut in. No need to go to a gym. You can just do bodyweight exercises and get into great shape. I recommend you start with bodyweight anyway even if you later go to a gym.

http://www.wildmantraining.com/

http://mattfurey.com...oning_book.html

http://www.bodybuild...un/mahler19.htm

http://lifehacker.co...thou-1525971528

I'm not telling you anything I haven't already done successfully. smile.png

Good luck!

While I agree with everything you write I want to add:

Also wrong ways can be successful (high carb low fat diets, for example....it is terrible hard in compare to low carb, but with enough will power it will work as well).

And point 7.) If you reduce carbs to very low (some would call it zero carb, please no semantic discussion) you can eat unlimited, because there is the strange effect that you don't like to eat the things you can eat. + you aren't hungry. Might not be for everyone the same.

High meat diets result in death to humans. Animals (beef, lamb, chicken, fish, etc.) concentrate in their muscle and fat cells all the pesticides, antibiotics, mercury etc.that they were injected with or fed that will eventually kill humans that eat their meat, dairy products, eggs, etc. with heart disease, strokes, cancers, etc. Scientific evidence supports a plant based unprocessed whole foods diets focused on whole plant foods that provide the most nutrition. Processed carbs such as sugar, flour, fake soy foods, etc.are not nutritious whole plant foods and should be eliminated from one's diet.

High meat diets result in death to humans.

Moreover, our results showed that a vegetarian diet is associated with poorer health (higher incidences of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), a higher need for health care, and poorer quality of life.

--http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0088278#abstract0

Living also results in death to humans.

While I agree with everything you write I want to add:

Also wrong ways can be successful (high carb low fat diets, for example....it is terrible hard in compare to low carb, but with enough will power it will work as well).

Yes, there were no obese survivors of Auschwitz. Trouble is, very few can do starve-and-sweat successfully or maintain it later. It's been advocated since the mid-60s, everybody knows about it, yet you see how just how well it's worked. The high carb diet and subsequent carb addiction from the recommended Food Pyramid works against it. So the obesity rate has skyrocketed--not surprising when you understand the biochemistry.

Death by Food Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health

I should have added to the 8 lies continually repeated on the forum:

9. A low-carb diet is necessarily a high protein diet

10. You must gain the same amount of fat from eating the same number of calories from either sugar or broccoli because of the Law Of Thermodynamics! giggle.gif

High meat diets result in death to humans. Animals (beef, lamb, chicken, fish, etc.) concentrate in their muscle and fat cells all the pesticides, antibiotics, mercury etc.that they were injected with or fed that will eventually kill humans that eat their meat, dairy products, eggs, etc. with heart disease, strokes, cancers, etc. Scientific evidence supports a plant based unprocessed whole foods diets focused on whole plant foods that provide the most nutrition. Processed carbs such as sugar, flour, fake soy foods, etc.are not nutritious whole plant foods and should be eliminated from one's diet.

Plant based unprocessed whole food diets also results in death of humans.....We all die....

Surely organic natural meat is the better choice. Only vegetables is a good choice .....for a rabbit.

Humans and the ancestors eat meat since 3 Million years, I won't brake this good old tradition.

Archived