Thai Navy to file suit against Reuters over Rohingya report

webfact

Navy to file suit against Reuters over Rohingya report
By Coconuts Bangkok

rtn.png?itok=0oqajw0R

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Navy will file suit against an international news agency for a Pulitzer Prize-winning report on the abuse of Rohingya refugees.

Saying allegations of possible military complicity in the trafficking of the vulnerable minority group was a matter of national security, a navy official told the Bangkok Post a lawsuit was being prepared against London-based Reuters.

The comments from Vice Adm. Tharathorn Kajitsuwan of the 3rd Navy Fleet came in response to calls the navy drop a defamation suit already filed against two Phuket reporters who helped Reuters with its reporting and republished a paragraph from the story. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/04/23/navy-file-suit-against-reuters-over-rohingya-report

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-04-23

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Vice Adm. Tharathorn Kajitsuwan realize he is opening up the avenue for more criticism on the World Wide network that will not be favorable to the Navy or himself? Someone should politely sit him down and clearly explain that to him. But I know that won't happen.

• Like 2

Anyone who abhors the abuse of power, the stifling of freedom of speech and the abuse of helpless refugees should encourage the Thai navy to press charges against Reuters and find justice by internationalising this disgraceful mess.

Right on. thumbsup.gif

If there Navy actually were involved, then they are playing a dangerous game indeed.

Pushing Reuters too much will just encourage them to dig deeper and deeper until they manage to unearth evidence to support their defense and really throw egg on the face of the navy.

• Like 1

From Coccnuts article;

Tharathorn refused calls to drop the suit from the United Nations, Thailand's National Human Rights Commisison and other international rights groups. Reuters has publicly distanced itself from Phuketwan and made no statement of support.

looks like Reuters don't want to defend the reporters from Phuketwan, But then Tharathorn seems to be going against advice from even the UN!

It is one thing to say they are going to file suit, another to actually file, and a third to actually pursue that filing to the nth degree. I suspect this is all bluster, blowing wind in their sails, after getting heat for hitting the Phuket paper but not the source, Reuters. As they look at this more closely, and consider actually having people testify, witnesses give evidence, and Resuters give their source materials in open court, don't be surprised to see this die as quiet a death as the Navy can make it.

Reuters? Good luck with that. Bet Reuters legal guns are bigger than the Thai Navy's guns. biggrin.png

And a great way of ensuring Reuters (and everyone else) keeps running the story.

Rule 1 of negative publicity - restrict reaction to (one) simple denial

Rule 2. Then shut up - and do not react to follow-ups.

The circus soon moves on. There is always a newer/more egregious atrocity elsewhere just around the corner - who is talking about MH370 now?

Cynical I know - but true.

Does Vice Adm. Tharathorn Kajitsuwan realize he is opening up the avenue for more criticism on the World Wide network that will not be favorable to the Navy or himself? Someone should politely sit him down and clearly explain that to him. But I know that won't happen.

Correct. They will also find out, that outside of Thailand, the truth is the only thing that carries any weight. Their loss of face counts for nothing.

The navies actions will only serve to shine a light on the stupidity of Thais.

This is clearly nothing but a face saving operation by the Thai government - Reuters may well choose to simply apologize rather than drag it through court. I hope they don't. I just want to know - IS EVERYTHING IN THE ARTICLE TRUE AND CAN REUTERS PROVE IT ? If so then Thailand has no case and should focus it's energy on trying to do something about the problem rather than trying to shoot the messenger. I believe it to be true, I don't think Reuters would publish the article if there was any doubt...? Thailand has to get over it's obssession with 'face' saving and own up to and face its problems.

• Like 2