Bringing your child late so to miss the indoctrination.

Does any body bring their child into school later than most so they miss the early morning indoctrination and conditioning of you know what?

But bring them in 10 minutes before the first lesson starts.

To me it would serve a number of pros:

• Longer lie in for the student, fresher at the start of lessons.
  • But mainly not having to endure teachers physically forcing them into straight lines to chant and sing and worship you know what, about how great they as Thais are etc. etc.

But also the cons of:

• Making them stand out even more as being different.
  • Possible harrassment, bullying, resentment etc, not from the students but from the Thaier than Thai staff! You know, who do they think they are, being here in Thailand, studying in a Thai school but thinking they're different, better than us etc.

Non-international schools of course.

Any experiences?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I'd still rather her eat a nutrious snack in the car while we play educational games together than her 'be on time' and be forced to stand still in the heat for that nonsense. Educationing them about what indoctrination is, and using that as an example would be good as they get older. smile.png

Respectful of people, yes, respectful of systems purposefully designed to indoctrinate and condition a populace in a way that promotes xenophobicism, no. smile.png big difference.

Telling her that her teachers are wrong before sending her into class is not going to be good for her attitude toward them or their attitude toward her. You really should send her to an International School (they do start at kindergarten) or have her educated abroad.

• Like 2

Indoctrination happens in every school in every country, everyday.....we round up late kids and they still have to sing the National Anthem. I still seem to remember singing the Australian anthem at school once a week. No big deal. If kids can't be made to sing their national song, or the King's song, you have no hope of getting their respect in the classroom. Lord help any student in my class who talks during the King's song at assembly.

• Like 1

Indoctrination happens in every school in every country, everyday.....we round up late kids and they still have to sing the National Anthem. I still seem to remember singing the Australian anthem at school once a week. No big deal. If kids can't be made to sing their national song, or the King's song, you have no hope of getting their respect in the classroom. Lord help any student in my class who talks during the King's song at assembly.

Obviously no big deal to sing a song once a week about how the land is girth by sea. biggrin.png You're obviously not fluent in Thai if you think a single song is all that's being put in to them. smile.png

Edited by Som wat

From Scott: "They should be taken to school on time, they should learn to be respectful, even if it is about something they don't believe. We have students who do not participate in the morning prayer. They just stand still and don't speak. It seems to work for them. "

Great answer, enhanced only by the addition of my saying "don't like it - go home." It's Thai culture. If you are weak willed enough to think of turning up to school late, you only reinforce the idea that foreigners are a feckless lot of lazy bums who sleep rather than obey the rules.

Maybe you are.

Why ask this question? You already made up your mind what you are going to do.

waste of forum space. If you ask a question read the replies and then reply with respect.

You only want to we take your opinion.

Public school has this morning ritual live with it. Or take your child late to school and see later what is the result. maybe good or bad only time will tell.

Do not want ot take the change take your child to international school spend some extra money.

I have never stood or sang the British National Anthem at any time in my life, and never would as I have no respect for it whatsoever. Especially the fourth verse as I am a Scot, and I suppose I am rebellious.

Lots of angry people on here I see. :D

Do people really consider being brought to school before the first lessons begin as being late? Oddly, yes.

Keep on churning out the robots, lads. :cheesy:

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 1

Obviously no big deal to sing a song once a week about how the land is girth by sea. You're obviously not fluent in Thai if you think a single song is all that's being put in to them.

Perhaps. Or perhaps a mirror is needed. It seems you are not fluent in school affairs if you think 10 minutes at first bell is the total "indoctrination" involved. Meanwhile, you and your child both are earning reputations for something completely different from what you intend, including the reputation as lazy and disrespectful people, unable for some unknown reason to attend a simple event on time.

None of the above is speculation, it simply *is*.

• Like 1

Of course the choice would be hers when she's old enough to decide.

It's a sad state of affairs when adult men consider their child's time better spent doing that than spending the time with them. :cheesy: Poor parents and yes-men no doubt. :(

If you can't respect the Schools morning routine maybe your in the wrong Country.

You come across as slightly brainwashed and unable to think objectively.

Why would somebody with a free mind and ability to think objectively respect a system specifically designed to indoctrate and condition children before they reach the age of reason with xenophobic, stiffling claptrap?

You're a Thai raised Thai, right?

Edited by Som wat

Sorry, but that is BS! I grew up in Kenya and had to sing the national anthem and do the pledge of allegiance on Mondays and Fridays. That did not turn me into a brain-dead robot and you may find that your daughter has a lot of less issues with it than you. If it is such a biggie for you then maybe you should send her to another school?

Perhaps only people fluent in Thai and been here more than 3 minutes should comment. cheesy.gif It's embarrassing, haha.

Indeed it is....for you at the moment.

For one claiming such "expertise" you seem shamefully unaware/ignorant of even the fundamentals of Thai culture....I'd wager your self proclaimed language 'skills' are at a similar stage of development....

• Like 2

From Scott: "They should be taken to school on time, they should learn to be respectful, even if it is about something they don't believe. We have students who do not participate in the morning prayer. They just stand still and don't speak. It seems to work for them. "

Great answer, enhanced only by the addition of my saying "don't like it - go home." It's Thai culture. If you are weak willed enough to think of turning up to school late, you only reinforce the idea that foreigners are a feckless lot of lazy bums who sleep rather than obey the rules.

Maybe you are.

Turning up late IS Thai culture. If I don't like that should I go home too?

Guess you have no kids at school, as your post is totally out of the blue.

Kids go to school early, as much as one hour before the first lesson. I myself bring village kids to school, 5 km further, and they arrive 1 hour early. That is part of their social experience, they meet their friends, buy something to eat or drink (some don't breakfast at home) and they walk together, talk, gossip, laugh, have fun. That is an important social aspect of being early.

So to the OP: you take away the social aspect from your daughter, by preventing her to socialize with school friends. That is a big mistake!

As for indoctrination: it exists, but think of this: The time kids spend in school is about 25% of their total time, 75% of the time they are free, private, at home or elsewhere. It is this 75% that you as parent can use (and should use) to raise your child, to prepare your child for the life as an adult. The influence you have as a parent is much more important and lasting then the 15 minutes at school before the first lesson.

I am not worried about indoctrination, much more worried about corporal punishment and forced haircuts at school.

• Like 1

If you can't respect the Schools morning routine maybe your in the wrong Country.

You come across as slightly brainwashed and unable to think objectively.

Why would somebody with a free mind and ability to think objectively respect a system specifically designed to indoctrate and condition children before they reach the age of reason with xenophobic, stiffling claptrap?

You're a Thai raised Thai, right?

Well Buba....I'll tell you this.....I'm a School Owner, if you can't get your child to my School on time....you can take them elsewhere....You see I interview new Students and Parents...if they have the slightest chance of coming across as "Libturds" (term for idiots in my home Country), I show them the door. Edited by Thaiready
  • Like 2