A Good Hotdog?

Minburi

I haven't found anyplace that makes a good hot dog. I've gotten to the point that I make my own, at home. Central Food Hall at Chitlom has pretty good hotdogs in the deli section -- of the foot long variety. I buy them in bulk -- they come pre-packaged in a one kilo package. The girls behind the deli counter recognize me everytime I go there and almost automatically bring the dogs to me.

The hot dog buns are reasonable good, too. I've also found the buns at Villa market on Langsuan. You can buy various kinds of mustard, ketchup, etc. and make them to your liking.

Edited by lanny

what we have heah...is a failure to communicate...

what do we speak about when we speak about hot dogs?...processed meat in spongy buns or the real item as in a serious sausage in a wonderful sesame, etc...

I useta hang around Berkeley, CA a long time ago and there was an institution there called Top Dog. There, they would prepare proper sausages and serve them on proper sesame buns with steaming pots of sauerkraut and 5 different kinds of mustard (including a Colmans substitute that had a warning sign attached). With a 'bratwurst ' and a 'louisiana' you were on yer way...wipin' yer hand on yer trousers while wolfin' the goods down the street...

well...thay ain't got that in BKK...the best you can do is 7-11 in my view...

variety is the spice ob life but any variety that excludes wonderful street hotdogs has to be re-evaluated...

Bangkok...yet again a shitehole with absurd pretentions ob international cuisine or culture...

When I think of hot dogs I think of ballpark dogs. Not the greatest, not the worst, just...well, ballpark dogs wrapped in paper. The closest you can come to that concept in Thailand is Dairy Queen. Soft, whitebread buns and classic processed hot dogs. Pile on the mustard, relish, and onions and you got something that's not quite a Dodger Dog, but pretty close for Asia.

Nope, The Dude can verify that Dodger Dawgs cannot be found in Thailand. Have not been able to find a NY Met hat either. Now that is something The Dude really needs this season

Edited by The Dude

When I think of hot dogs I think of ballpark dogs. Not the greatest, not the worst, just...well, ballpark dogs wrapped in paper. The closest you can come to that concept in Thailand is Dairy Queen. Soft, whitebread buns and classic processed hot dogs. Pile on the mustard, relish, and onions and you got something that's not quite a Dodger Dog, but pretty close for Asia.

I hate to say it, but 7 11 dogs are better.

Dairy Queen uses sweet Thai style rolls that you would NEVER sell hotdogs in elsewhere! :o

Good hotdogs are difficult to find.

Mike's Hamburger's hotdogs SUCK! :o

Wow, a negative post about Mikes from UG!

Who'd have thunk it!

They need to change those dogs and I told him from day one. The rolls and toppings are fine, but the meat has NO flavor.

Bleckkk! :D

Good hotdogs are difficult to find.

Mike's Hamburger's hotdogs SUCK! :o

Wow, a negative post about Mikes from UG!

Who'd have thunk it!

They need to change those dogs and I told him from day one. The rolls and toppings are fine, but the meat has NO flavor.

Bleckkk! :D

I think that the German Brewery has good frankfurters - and to be honest Mike's are too small - I want something that is more than a snack really!

I useta hang around Berkeley, CA a long time ago and there was an institution there called Top Dog.

well...thay ain't got that in BKK...the best you can do is 7-11 in my view...

I useta hang around Berkeley, CA a long time ago, too, and there was a franchise called "Der Wienershnitzel" with outlets all over the Bay Area. Remember 'em? Hot dogs about 19 cents each?

The wiener and bun sucked but the ten or so different toppings were great!

Hmmm, kinda like 7-11.

Dodger Dog? Come on man! If we are gonna talk about hot dogs, good hot dogs, then we must talk about the king of all hot dogs. The Chicago Style Hot Dog!!!!!!!!

vdog1ry.gif

Recently discovered: Carrfour or perhaps Jusco/Tesco Lotus...I'm assuming they have the same deli department. But Carfour, for sure.

Believe it or not those crap looking hotdogs that they have all stacked up in the deli department, can be good.

I just bought a smoked pork hotdog, and even though the outside looks disgusting (i think they wrap them in a different kind of 'sheath' here) the inside was yummy and tasty. about 24 baht for a much better hotdog than you can find at 7-11. Also, the grilled sausages you can find on the street (called "Saii gok) are pretty good. But, they're nothing like hotdogs.

forgive me for any phallic imagery. :o

This is my favorite Thai hot dog joke:

Two Thai guys immigrate to America.

On their first day, they are wandering around New York City seeing the sights. As lunch time approaches they decide they are hungry. They then come up to a street vendor selling hot dogs.

They check their dictionary for the writing on the side of the vendor's cart intheir dictionary. One says to the other in a shocked tone, "My God!! Do they eat dogs in America?"

"I don't know!" says the other, equally appalled.

"Well," says the first, "we're going to be Americans some day, so we must learn to do as they do."

They approach the vendor bravely. "Two hot dogs, please."

The vendor hands them their food in a pair of paper sacks. The two immigrants sit on a park bench to eat their lunch.

One looks inside his sack, hesitates and turns to his partner and says, "Ummm, which part of the dog did you get?"

Ever tried a Danish hotdog? (in Denmark of course - not the crappy "Hotdog Denmark" they sell in Pattaya!) They run circles around the Chicago dog. :D

post-1539-1150572570.jpg

Now here is someone who hasn't a clue :o:D

Hotdogs?

Makes me think of Skyline Chili Cheese Dogs – I have had cases of their chili sauce delivered to Asia for dogs as well as spaghetti.

tn_gallery_11783_189_4022.jpg

Three way anyone? Or maybe your more of a 4 or 5 way type of person.

Ever tried a Danish hotdog? (in Denmark of course - not the crappy "Hotdog Denmark" they sell in Pattaya!) They run circles around the Chicago dog. :D

post-1539-1150572570.jpg

I wont go so far as to say you do not have a clue, but you have obviously never had a real Dansk pølse.

post-1539-1150572570.jpg

I wont go so far as to say you do not have a clue, but you have obviously never had a real Dansk pølse.

Never had one of these Dane Dog things you mention, but I do prefer US style hotdogs, over the European style hotdogs. I find the European style too much like a sausage, and the casing tends to be too tough as well. Of course I think this has a lot to do with what type you grew up with and therefore what one considers to be a good dog.

I will have to try one next time im in Denmark . :o

I have had hot dogs in many european countries before and they were not good but to be fair , the dog I had at the Tokyodome was by far the worst ever .

The hot dogs at 7-11 that they sell ready to go are as good as any I have found anywhere else in Thailand. I wish they would sell them bulk so I could have them at home.

You are right, most European hotdogs is a chewy and hard bun, sausage and mustard. The Germans are partial to sauerkraut :o

Danish hotdogs are nothing like that.

Now if you go and put sauerkraut on the thing then one must replace said hotdog, with a good flame grilled bratwurst - in which case I find them quite good. But then it is no longer a hotdog now is it? It is a brat.

For me growing up Hotdogs came in four basic categories:

Local ice cream shop foot longs – as the name implies a 12 inch dog, typically rather small in diameter, with customer to select the toppings (my personal preference is mustard, pickle relish, and onions).

Home BBQ Dogs – These tend to be of the more standard US length (around 6 inches) and larger in diameter than those of the footlong variety, flame grilled at home, cooked and topped to your own personal liking (personal preference for me well done (burnt), topped with mustard, cheese, and light on the onions). Also please note when grilling hot dogs or bratwurst do not break the casing (ie do not stick a fork in them - use tongs to turn).

Chili Cheese Dogs – A hog dog category all of its own and as the name implies the dog is to be topped with loads of cheese and chili sauce. These can come in many shapes in sizes everything ranging from almost mini sized dogs (two/three inches in length), US standard (around 6 inches in length), to the footlong variety. One can add minor additional toppings (possibilities include mustard, and/or onions).

And then all other items anyone else wanted to claim was a hot dog – includes home microwaved-in-a-hurry-to-eat variety as well.

My horizons have been expanded quite a bit since my youth, and I must admit that I have had a couple of pretty good Chicago Style dogs in my day.

And I agree with Jeff1, I have had quit a few hot dogs in Japan and they have pretty much all been sh*t.