A Good Hotdog?

Minburi

The hot dogs at 7-11 that they sell ready to go are as good as any I have found anywhere else in Thailand. I wish they would sell them bulk so I could have them at home.

amen, brother...in my case in Suphan the dogs are in the shadow of evil thai bus station cuisine...

two sebben elebben dogs with condiments an' I'm together...wid a large Chang wid a straw...

...tutsi assumes shotgun position in our 10 y.o. minivan with dogs and Chang and shouts 'LOAD 'EM UP...MOVE 'EM OUT'...the Rawhide theme comes up as we move on down the road...

Kobayashi's speedy gluttony rattles foes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

Hot dog No. 48 barely slowed Takeru Kobayashi's remarkable pace.

NEW YORK -- A man inhaled a record 50 hot dogs in just 12 minutes Wednesday to destroy his stunned competition in the annual Nathan's frankfurter eating contest.

Takeru Kobayashi of Japan, in his first-ever attempt at the contest, left competitors with their jaws agape as he knocked back more than four dozen franks with obvious relish.

The 5-foot-7, 131-pound Kobayashi surpassed the old record of 25 in just 5 minutes, 13 seconds. Kobayashi didn't stop until he had doubled that number, complete with the buns.

Eyewitnesses said it was by far the most amazing performance since the annual Fourth of July contest began in 1916.

"I have never seen anything like this before," said Tom Maher, a spokesman for the Nathan's-sponsored International Federation of Competitive Eating. "He has truly redefined the sport."

Kobayashi, 23, employed a technique dubbed "the Solomon method" -- snapping the hot dogs in half, then shoving both pieces into his mouth. By the end of the 12-minute event, the rest of the 19-member field had stopped eating to watch Kobayashi.

The runner-up was last year's winner, Kazutoyo Arai of Japan, who knocked down 31 hot dogs. Arai had set the record of 25 during last year's contest.

For dessert, Kobayashi ate two more hot dogs while posing for pictures and camera crews at the Coney Island event. Through an interpreter, the new champion bragged that he could knock off another twenty hot dogs.

Thankfully, no one took him up on the offer

ALL for the best HOT DOGS anywhere (Nathans)! Shame they can't bring a franchise to THAILAND

• 2 weeks later...

I was always fussy about my hot dogs, and only ate Ye Olde Oak brand in the UK (the 8 to a tin, not 10 to a tin ones (told u I'm fussy). I could never find the equivalent in Thailand and used to get them brought over by friends or family from the UK.

But thankfully those days have gone, I discovered TULIP hot dogs at the local Justcos, 10 to a tin, 102 baht, importaed from Denmark, ######ing delicious, in fact just finishing off a tin now. :o

• 1 month later...

post-32989-1157705272_thumb.jpgI come from the Los Angeles area and the best hot dog there IMHO is Tommy’s world famous Chili Dog.

OK I know that Thailand does not have that, BUT I did find really good Vienna style hot dogs at the Foodland in patteya.

Steam the dog and the hot dog bun.

I then make an almost exact copy of Tommy’s Chili (I make 2 or 3 gallons at time and then freeze it. UMMM

Jim

....I then make an almost exact copy of Tommy’s Chili (I make 2 or 3 gallons at time and then freeze it).......

I'd be grateful if you tell me how to make Tommy's chili, too. You don't have their recipe, do you?

I make a pretty good chili, but it's nothing like Tommy's. Man oh man, I'm getting unbearably hungry just thinking about it.

Here's Tommy's Chile and Hamburger recipes...

Tommy’s Chili

1 pound ground beef (not lean)

1/4 cup flour plus 1 1/4 cups flour

1 1/3 cups beef broth

4 cups water

3 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons grated (and then chopped) carrot

1 tablespoon white vinegar

2 teaspoons dried minced onion

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

1 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Tommy's Hamburger

3 pounds ground beef

8 hamburger buns

16 slices Kraft cheddar cheese Singles

1/2 cup diced onion

32 to 40 hamburger pickles (slices)

8 slices large beefsteak tomato (1/2-inch thick)

1/4 cup yellow mustard

Strain the fat out of the meat with popular

and common kitchen gadgets

1. Prepare the chili by first browning the meat in a large

saucepan over medium heat. Crumble the meat as it browns.

When the meat has been entirely cooked (7 to 10 minutes),

pour the meat into a strainer over a large cup or saucepan.

Let the fat drip out of the meat for about 5 minutes, then

return the meat back to the first saucepan. Cover and set aside.

2. With the fat from the meat, we will now make a roux - a French

contribution to thicker sauces and gravies usually made with fat

and flour. Heat the drippings in a saucepan over medium heat

(you should have drained off around 1/2 cup of the stuff).

When the fat is hot, add 1/4 cup flour to the pan and stir well.

Reduce heat to medium low, and continue to heat the roux, stirring

often, until it is a rich caramel color. This should take 10 to 15

minutes. Add the beef broth to the pan and stir. Remove from heat.

3. Meanwhile, back at the other pan, add the water to the beef, then

whisk in the remaining 1 1/4 cups flour. Add the roux/broth mixture

and the other chili ingredients and whisk until blended. Make sure

your grated carrot is chopped up to the size of rice before you add

it.

4. Crank the heat up to medium high. Stir often until you see bubbles

forming on the surface of the chili. Turn the heat down to medium

low, and continue to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thick.

The chili should be calmly bubbling like lava as it simmers. When

it’s done cooking, take the chili off the heat, cover it, and let it

sit for 30 minutes to an hour before using it on the burgers. It

should thicken to a tasty brown paste as it sits.

5. To make your hamburgers, you’ll first divide 3 pounds of hamburger

into 16 portions of 3 ounces each. Grill the burgers in a hot skillet

or on an indoor griddle for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until done.

Sprinkle some salt and pepper on each patty.

6. Build the burgers by lightly toasting the faces of the hamburger

buns. Turn them over into a hot skillet or a griddle on medium heat.

7. Place one patty onto the bottom bun.

8. Position two slices of cheese on the meat.

9. Place another beef patty on the cheese.

10. Spoon about 1/3 cup of chili onto the beef patty.

11. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of diced onion onto the chili.

12. Arrange 4 to 5 pickle slices on the onion.

13. Place a thick slice of tomato on next.

14. Spread mustard over the face of the top bun and top off your

hamburger by turning this bun over onto the tomato.

Makes 8 burgers. (6 cups of chili.)

Here's Tommy's Chile and Hamburger recipes...

Tommy’s Chili

1 pound ground beef (not lean)

1 1/3 cups beef broth

4 cups water

2 tablespoons grated (and then chopped) carrot

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

1 teaspoon paprika

Tommy's Hamburger

3 pounds ground beef

8 hamburger buns

1/2 cup diced onion

1/4 cup yellow mustard

Strain the fat out of the meat with popular

and common kitchen gadgets

1. Prepare the chili by first browning the meat in a large

saucepan over medium heat. Crumble the meat as it browns.

When the meat has been entirely cooked (7 to 10 minutes),

pour the meat into a strainer over a large cup or saucepan.

Let the fat drip out of the meat for about 5 minutes, then

return the meat back to the first saucepan. Cover and set aside.

2. With the fat from the meat, we will now make a roux - a French

contribution to thicker sauces and gravies usually made with fat

and flour. Heat the drippings in a saucepan over medium heat

(you should have drained off around 1/2 cup of the stuff).

When the fat is hot, add 1/4 cup flour to the pan and stir well.

Reduce heat to medium low, and continue to heat the roux, stirring

often, until it is a rich caramel color. This should take 10 to 15

minutes. Add the beef broth to the pan and stir. Remove from heat.

3. Meanwhile, back at the other pan, add the water to the beef, then

whisk in the remaining 1 1/4 cups flour. Add the roux/broth mixture

and the other chili ingredients and whisk until blended. Make sure

your grated carrot is chopped up to the size of rice before you add

it.

4. Crank the heat up to medium high. Stir often until you see bubbles

forming on the surface of the chili. Turn the heat down to medium

low, and continue to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thick.

The chili should be calmly bubbling like lava as it simmers. When

it’s done cooking, take the chili off the heat, cover it, and let it

sit for 30 minutes to an hour before using it on the burgers. It

should thicken to a tasty brown paste as it sits.

5. To make your hamburgers, you’ll first divide 3 pounds of hamburger

into 16 portions of 3 ounces each. Grill the burgers in a hot skillet

or on an indoor griddle for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until done.

Sprinkle some salt and pepper on each patty.

6. Build the burgers by lightly toasting the faces of the hamburger

buns. Turn them over into a hot skillet or a griddle on medium heat.

14. Spread mustard over the face of the top bun and top off your

hamburger by turning this bun over onto the tomato.

ah gots to admit that I did like a good chilli dog around LA, wid a load of chopped onions...the next greatest sammich being a meatball sammich, to be found all over LA...drippin' with sauce and hard to keep offer yer clothes when sittin' in yer low rider at 2 am.

sheeeeid...dem thais don't know what deys missin'...

Tommy's World Famous Chilidog

Original Tommy's World Famous Hamburgers

This clone recipe may be for the whole hamburger, but anybody who knows about Tommy's

goes there for the chili -- and that's the part of this clone they really want. That's also the part

that required the most kitchen sleuthing. Turn out it's an old chili con carne recipe created back

in 1946 by Tommy's founder, Tommy Koulax, for his first hamburger stand on the corner of

Beverly and Rampart Boulevards in Los Angeles. Adding the right combination of water and

flour and broth and spices to the meat we can create a thick tomato-less chili sauce worthy of the

gajillions of southern California college students that make late-night Tommy's runs a four-year

habit. And if you don't live near one of the two -dozen Tommy's outlets, you can still get a gallon

of Tommy's famous chili shipped to you. But I hope you really dig the stuff: You'll shell out

around 70 bucks for the dry ice packaging and overnight shipping. And don't expect to see the

ingredients on the label since the chili comes packed in a gallon-size mustard jug.

Chili

1 pound ground beef (not lean)*

1 1/3 cups beef broth

4 cups water

2 tablespoon grated (and then chopped) carrot

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon paprika

3 pounds ground beef

8 hamburger buns

1/2 cup diced onion

1/4 cup yellow mustard

1. Prepare the chili by first browning the meat in a large saucepan over medium heat. Crumble

the meat as it browns. When the meat has been entirely cooked (7 to 10 minutes), pour the meat

into a strainer over a large cup or saucepan. Let the fat drip out of the meat for about 5 minutes,

then return the meat back to the first saucepan. Cover and set aside.

2. With the fat from the meat, we will now make a roux -- a French contribution to thicker

sauces and gravies usually made with fat and flour. Heat the drippings in a saucepan over

medium heat (you should have drained off around 1/2 cup of the stuff). When the fat is hot, add

1/4 cup flour to the pan and stir well. Reduce heat to medium/low, and continue to heat the roux,

stirring often until it is a rich caramel color. This should take from 10 to 15 minutes. Add the

beef broth to the pan and stir. Remove from heat.

3. Meanwhile, back at the other pan, add the water to the beef, then whisk in the remaining 1 1/4

cups flour. Add the ro ux/broth mixture and the other chili ingredients and whisk until blended.

Make sure your grated carrot is chopped up to the size of rice before you add it.

4. Crank the heat up to medium/high. Stir often until you see bubbles forming on the surface of

the chili. Turn the heat down to medium/low, and continue to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or

until thick. The chili should be calmly bubbling like lava as it simmers. When it's done cooking,

take the chili off the heat, cover it, and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour before using it on the

burgers. It should thicken to a tasty brown paste as it sits.

5. To make your hamburgers, you'll first divide 3 pounds of hamburger into 16 portions of 3

ounces each. Grill the burgers on in a hot skillet or on an indoor griddle for 4 to 5 minutes per

side or until done. Use some salt and pepper on each patty.

6. Build the burgers by lightly toasting the faces of the hamburger buns. Turn them over into a

hot skillet or a griddle on medium heat.

14. Spread mustard over the face of the top bun and top off your hamburger by turning this bun

over onto the tomato.

*Tidbits

Make sure the ground beef you use has a fat content of at least 20 percent. This way you'll be

sure to get enough fat to make the roux.

Jim

• 2 months later...
I was always fussy about my hot dogs, and only ate Ye Olde Oak brand in the UK (the 8 to a tin, not 10 to a tin ones (told u I'm fussy). I could never find the equivalent in Thailand and used to get them brought over by friends or family from the UK.

But thankfully those days have gone, I discovered TULIP hot dogs at the local Justcos, 10 to a tin, 102 baht, importaed from Denmark, ######ing delicious, in fact just finishing off a tin now. :o

Fussy, in what respect ? As far as I recall the labels on both of those boast (in small letters) that they use mechanically recovered meat. In other words whatever can be got of a carcass useing a high powered water jet. Rather you than me.....

you got dogs and you got sausages...dogs are preferable when you can find them...the 7-11 dogs do OK...alot of thai sausages ain't got much...just some chewy, stinky mishmash...probly tastes OK with lots of nam pla and chiles to hide the flavor...

the BIG QUESTION has to do with the hot dog buns...as someone said previously most of the time you get these sweet things that would ruin a good dog if indeed they were available...lots ob de time at sebben elebben they ain't got no buns(???)...how're ya suposed to handle condiments without buns???...thais don't seem to realise and offer you what they have on a skewer...I want to roar 'I DON'T WAN NO FURKIN' SKEWER, I WANT A BUN THAT I CAN PUT MY CATSUP, MUSTARD AND PICKLE RELISH IN!!!' but I demurr for the obvious cultural reasons...they do the same at the Dairy Queen at the Suphan tescos.

Thais doan unnerstand that you cannot have a hot dog without a hot dog bun...what can we do as responsible falangs to have this unnerstanding take hold and to not render Thailand as the hot dog mockery ob de woild?...

'huh, huh, huh...hey Beulah...you shoulda seen the hot dog that I got on my last trip to BKK...' ...I hate this as I am a resident and would prefer if rednecks did not denigrate my country of residence in ignorant redneck fashion...all becausa hot dogs and their buns...

• 4 weeks later...

There is (or was) a successful chain of Coney Island hot dogs in Houston, but I never did like standard hot dog sausage - too much like bologna, bland. So I got to ordering "Polish" hot dogs; much more flavor, with thicker skins.

If you like chili hot dogs, you'd like Frito chili pie, with corn chips. Yummy!

I'll have to try that 7-11 hot dog. Never heard of 7-11. Is that new, a Thai store? :o

There is (or was) a successful chain of Coney Island hot dogs in Houston, but I never did like standard hot dog sausage - too much like bologna, bland. So I got to ordering "Polish" hot dogs; much more flavor, with thicker skins.

If you like chili hot dogs, you'd like Frito chili pie, with corn chips. Yummy!

I'll have to try that 7-11 hot dog. Never heard of 7-11. Is that new, a Thai store? :o

can't miss it PB...they got them hot dog cookers that roll the dogs around and pots of mustard, catsup and pickle relish and sliced cucumber and chopped onions...mmmm, mmmm good. You gots to make sure that they got the buns before you order...none of it makes sense otherwise...I get the stepdaughter or one of the nieces to do a run a couple of times a week and they return with a bewildered look and a couple of dogs with the works...('my uncle tutsi is a falang...give 'em the works...')

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I don't understand the OPs objection to de sebben elebben cuisine...when sheltering from de som tam and kwietiew onslaught I'd say that a couple ob dogs wid mustard, ketchup and pickle relish from the nearest outlet is a dyin' mans oxigen...

Ok yes I think we are done with all the "best where" items & hot dogs?, actually.... it would be handy to have at a glance (please Thaivisa :o ) a list of the best priced incl make and model and where it was bought so that people don't ask "where is"? so much. List of most popular Items bought in Thailand and it could be updated by moderators I guess. Yes/No? I get tired of doing searches on this forum (that give too many options to read them all and the google etc.... I am sure I will be told..... :D

eg. Lindsaybkk Maxtor External Hard Drive (300GB) Model * Shop * 4800bht Date Bought 23/11/2006

I don't understand the OPs objection to de sebben elebben cuisine...when sheltering from de som tam and kwietiew onslaught I'd say that a couple ob dogs wid mustard, ketchup and pickle relish from the nearest outlet is a dyin' mans oxigen...

Ok yes I think we are done with all the "best where" items & hot dogs?, actually.... it would be handy to have at a glance (please Thaivisa :o ) a list of the best priced incl make and model and where it was bought so that people don't ask "where is"? so much. List of most popular Items bought in Thailand and it could be updated by moderators I guess. Yes/No? I get tired of doing searches on this forum (that give too many options to read them all and the google etc.... I am sure I will be told..... :D

eg. Lindsaybkk Maxtor External Hard Drive (300GB) Model * Shop * 4800bht Date Bought 23/11/2006

???...I don't think that there is bun big enuf to handle that one nor enuf catsup and mustard...

I was in Phnom Penh recently and even they have got great hot dogs. They are available on Rue Pasteur (Street 51) from a vendor and they even deliver to bars around the city. Look for a menu after hours. I was very impressed. Good, fresh bun, nice well cooked sausage and fried onions. Best I've tasted in Asia and puts the terrible 7/11 and Dairy Queen efforts to the sword.

Why we can't get good hot dogs in Bangkok is a mystery.

Why can't we get good Indian food in Thailand with all these Indians running around is beyond me. :o

I was in Phnom Penh recently and even they have got great hot dogs. They are available on Rue Pasteur (Street 51) from a vendor and they even deliver to bars around the city. Look for a menu after hours. I was very impressed. Good, fresh bun, nice well cooked sausage and fried onions. Best I've tasted in Asia and puts the terrible 7/11 and Dairy Queen efforts to the sword.

Why we can't get good hot dogs in Bangkok is a mystery.

hear, hear...and why cannot we get any tacos??? Brings me back to a point that I made years ago on this forum...that BKK is a culinary provincial shithole with absurd pretentions to international cuisine...

And I am still looking for a decent "Broodje Shoarma" in Thailand.

they got what looks like a passable product in the 'Arab Quarter' across Sukhumvit from soi Nana...never did try one meself though, too busy with shopping and rip off taxi drivers...

Ok, I will try to find tonight

Alex