Did you pay tee money for your Cambodia visa?

• 1 year later...

All I can say is I have never paid the official rate at had lek border, and I used that crossing more than 20 times over a couple of years, used to be a nasty woman in charge a few years ago, since retired living of her I'll gotten gains. Latest news on the free visa in Phnom Penh is there out of the visa stickers for your passport if you want to believe that, plus they have added another hurdle to jump for my Cambodian missus, want to see her family book or ID card now, gonna have to wait here until Monday for passport. P Richard, still a lousy ex rate 1.16 $ to £ at $40.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Had Lek is pretty notorious for "informal" charges.

Poipet is starting to emulate them though still easier to defeat.  Their current ploys are

(1) offering a  "VIP" service for a fee that enough people avail of that if you do not, youcan end up with a very logn wait  in a  hot and uncomfortable place. If you are lucky enough to be there when there aren't many people will not matter but if there is a crowd, it is wait&suffer, or else pay.

(2) Seeking a bribe to stamp your passport by very, very slowly leafing through it page by page (think the sloth DMV scene in Zootopia).

I have never paid but always stood my ground and hope to be able to keep doing so, but it is getting harder.

This behavior has now spread to the Thai side as well, some  of it affecting everyone and some  of it affecting only  Cambodians. A similiar "VIP" scheme is in place, and as anyone who has crossed there when it is crowded knows, this can mean waiting out in the hot sun. 

Cambodians   have to pay someone to fill out the arrival card for them - if they fill it out, no matter how correctly or clearly, it's rejected. (This part is a joint Khmer-Thai undertaking). And Cambodians are often also separately  asked to pay something to the IO no matter what the circumstance (though  a much higher amount  if there is anything that could be used as grounds to refuse them entry).  Last time I crossed, I clearly heard the IO demand 5,000 baht from the Khmer man in front of me; I don't know his circumstances. From what I hear from Khmers working around where I live the going rate for being able to enter visa exempt if they suspect you are actually working (i.e. many back to back or almost back to back entries) is 500 baht.

my gf ALWAYS has to pay 100 baht when she returns to Cambodia by land on her Cambodian passport  :-)

She always fills out her arrival card,no problem ...and never has been rejected by land or air

Latest news on the free visa in Phnom Penh is there out of the visa stickers for your passport if you want to believe that, plus they have added another hurdle to jump for my Cambodian missus, want to see her family book or ID card now, gonna have to wait here until Monday for passport

HUH" if they are out of stamps what do people do when they apply?
Gf flies up next week for new thai visa ,id card is no big deal as she has one and I am told Camboidan goverment wants everyone now to have one

Archived