Mobi’s - The New Bar on Lake Mabprachan

Mobis

Do I head up Soi Siam Country Club?

Yes , if you click on the link to Mobi's web page on post no. 18 you will find detailed instructions, including the co-ordinates.

I will publish a map with the bar on it when someone shows me how to do it,,,,,,

Here you go (nothing better to do.....)

post-64390-0-88287900-1399012134_thumb.j

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I head up Soi Siam Country Club?

Yes , if you click on the link to Mobi's web page on post no. 18 you will find detailed instructions, including the co-ordinates.

I will publish a map with the bar on it when someone shows me how to do it,,,,,,

Here you go (nothing better to do.....)

attachicon.gifCapturemobis.JPG

Thank you very much.

I have put your handiwork up on the big screens and everyone is admiring itsmile.png

• Like 1

Yesterday we were more or less ready so we had a ‘soft soft’ opening.

Our very first customers were a couple of guys coming to the Hash Harriers convention in Pattaya. They had travelled from Issan and dropped in on the way, having read about Mobi’s on Thai Visa.

We had a good chat and they promised to come by again on their way home.

A few more trickled in as the day went on and we had to opportunity to practice our bar service skills, cooking, and most importantly – operating the computerised cash till.

There were a few hiccups but we managed OK – I think.

One guy claimed that we had charged him for too many beers, which seemed most unlikely, but anyway we gave him the benefit of the doubt.

The customers faded away after 7 pm, and by 10 p.m. we decided to call it a day on our very first day’s trading.

I am hoping for better things today – our first publicised day of trading, and of course, a weekend of EPL live football action, not forgetting the final stages of the world snooker from Sheffield, in between the live games.

Hope to see some of you there – don’t forget - 20% off all drinks – including ladies’ drinks…..

Well we successfully concluded our first two days of trading with a few little hiccups but no major incidents, and are now well into day 3.

If you want to read all the juicy details, follow the link to today's blog:

Mobi's Blog - 4th May, 2014

Hope to see some of you here today to watch the Chelsea / Norwich match at 10.pm.

Our very first customers were a couple of guys coming to the Hash Harriers convention in Pattaya. They had travelled from Issan and dropped in on the way, having read about Mobi’s on Thai Visa.

A few more trickled in as the day went on and we had to opportunity to practice our bar service skills, cooking, and most importantly – operating the computerised cash till.

One guy claimed that we had charged him for too many beers, which seemed most unlikely, but anyway we gave him the benefit of the doubt.

The customers faded away after 7 pm, and by 10 p.m. we decided to call it a day on our very first day’s trading.

I am hoping for better things today – our first publicised day of trading, and of course, a weekend of EPL live football action, not forgetting the final stages of the world snooker from Sheffield, in between the live games.

Hope to see some of you there – don’t forget - 20% off all drinks – including ladies’ drinks…..

SantiSuk and I were proud to be the first ones to try out Mobi's. A nice little set up with an excellent host! We dropped by again yesterday to watch some football and snooker. Cold beer,good hot dogs, an nice company........We'll be back! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1

SantiSuk and I were proud to be the first ones to try out Mobi's. A nice little set up with an excellent host! We dropped by again yesterday to watch some football and snooker. Cold beer,good hot dogs, an nice company........We'll be back! thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png

Are you from Bergen, Norway? I've got quite a few very good friends from there. Hope to visit one day!

Sounds like things are going well for you, Mobi. We'll be by shortly to have a look! Best of luck.

• Like 1

Mobi. About the possible overcharging .. maybe leave the beer bottles at the table AND do a chit each time someone orders.. can't go wrong then .. hopefully!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I may have missed it but I see no mention of Wifi - any plans on that front?

You didn't miss it as I didn't mention it.... but we do have it and I will correct my sales blurb.

It's pretty good too...

Thanks for spotting the omission,

Hope to see you there

Mobi

Mobi. About the possible overcharging .. maybe leave the beer bottles at the table AND do a chit each time someone orders.. can't go wrong then .. hopefully!

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea and is the system use by many Thai restaurants/drinking places but rarely - if ever used in western style bars.

The punters expect their empties to be removed, and if they weren't, they would run out of space on the table to drink and it would look very cluttered.

The man who claimed we had overcharged was in a party of four on sitting on one of our smaller tables so it would have been chaos if we hadn't cleared away the empties.

Nevertheless I will keep your idea in mind - maybe a box near each table to keep the empties until the bill is paid.

So far this has remained a single incident.

Anyone else have any views/experience on this?

post-25991-0-02726600-1399261357_thumb.p

Things went pretty well yesterday and we had a steady stream of customers right up to and beyond closing time.

Some came to watch the football but preferred to watch the world snooker which I put on the 2nd screen.

I completely missed the listing of the early EPL game, Arsenal/WBA but a friendly customer put me right and we soon had it up and running. I will have to be more diligent on this in the future.

Today it is the continuation of the World snooker finals, although the end will be too late to watch at the bar, unless Rocket Ronnie wraps it up in the early session.

Don't forget, we are still one of the cheapest bars on the Lake, with our fortnight-long 20% off all drinks - including Ladies' drinks....

post-25991-0-04063100-1399261098_thumb.j

post-25991-0-34001300-1399261145_thumb.j

Edited by Mobi

It was a pleasure to see you both there and I was especially pleased to greet two charming gentlemen from Isan as my very first customers...

Hope to see you again soon.

• Like 1

Are you from Bergen, Norway? I've got quite a few very good friends from there. Hope to visit one day!

Sounds like things are going well for you, Mobi. We'll be by shortly to have a look! Best of luck.

From Bergen indeed!! You'll not be disappointed!! biggrin.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea and is the system use by many Thai restaurants/drinking places but rarely - if ever used in western style bars.

The punters expect their empties to be removed, and if they weren't, they would run out of space on the table to drink and it would look very cluttered.

The man who claimed we had overcharged was in a party of four on sitting on one of our smaller tables so it would have been chaos if we hadn't cleared away the empties.

Nevertheless I will keep your idea in mind - maybe a box near each table to keep the empties until the bill is paid.

We used to frequent a whore house on the hill outside of Itaqui port in Brazil (nearest bar you see) and they used to leave the case beside the table on the patio for the empties and then the tally was easily checked at the end of the session. Since we were (obviously) only there for the beer, we had to 'check bin' twice during the evening as our cases of empty beer bottles were blocking access for the more... amorous customers.

Maybe keep tabs on "Mr I Was Overcharged" as he was probably a dark side balloon chaser (you know who you are). He will probably wait a week and try that sh!t again.

Congrats on your opening Mobi. I went up-country for the weekend but I will come by some time during the week and check out your refrigeration!

It was good to see Raro at Mobi's, where when he had the dubious pleasure of closing the bar for two evenings in a row as we reached and went past the 'witching hour'....

Thank you my friend....thumbsup.gif

I'm not a bar beer person.

But your gaff sounds lovely the way you've described it.

you come across has a lovely fella. Who knows what he's doing.

Good luck mate.

Remember ..The cream always rises to the top

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good luck to you Moby! That would be a hell of a temptation not partaking at a bar, But you know you will do good not imbibing your profits away. That & you sound very personable which is a great asset for a bar owner. Wish you all the luck!!

Barry

Many thanks for all the good wishes, its really appreciated.

I'm really not a 'lovely fella'- as those who know me will testify to - I'm just a grumpy old recovering alcoholic, struggling to keep body and mind together by running a little bar that I hope will be a bit better than your average farang watering hole.

We have a way to go yet and only time will tell if we can make our mark.

We acquired a very presentable new member of staff today, straight off the bus from Udon from whence she rushed 2 days ago to collect her 'working' clothes.

Things are looking up....

Cant see it being a good idea having bottles of beer anywhere. works at the mini mart bars as penty of space, bottles best cleared away i would think. As a potential regular if the bill is in front of me and electronic till that's good enough for me enough. Presently in Samui and you never get to see the bill until it check bin time. Bills kept out of site of customers hate it. Electronic bill in front of me perfect.

What about doing a print out of the bill after each round and put a number on the top, 1,2,3,4, etc so the staff know that nobody is tearing up tickets, the client then knows what he is paying for each time, how many rounds they have had and the bill is not been padded out by the staff. simple!

• Like 1

What about doing a print out of the bill after each round and put a number on the top, 1,2,3,4, etc so the staff know that nobody is tearing up tickets, the client then knows what he is paying for each time, how many rounds they have had and the bill is not been padded out by the staff. simple!

Every time a customer orders a drink he gets a printed bill put in his numbered pot. The bill shows what drink(s), he ordered, the numbers of drinks he ordered, the date and time of the order, the number of his bill pot and a sub-total with the current amount owing.

When the customer orders another drink he gets a second bill chit which shows the outstanding balance of the previous bill and then lists the new drinks order with a new sub total at the bottom showing the new amount owing.

And so on until he decides its time to pay up and go. Every time he orders, he gets a new chit which shows the amount he owes to date along with full details of the drinks ordered to date

He can look at the latest bill in his pot and it will tell him how much he has to pay.

He gives us the cash, and we present him with a 'recap' bill which lists every drink he has ordered - the total of which will be the same as the subtotal on the last bill in his bill pot. It also shows the amount of cash he gave us, and the amount of change due to him which will be in the wallet presented to him. Unlike other bars, he can take this bill/ receipt with him.

At all times our POS system keeps a running check on the amounts owed by each customer, and what drinks etc they have ordered.

I don't know how much more we can do.

The guy in question simply queried the number of beers on his accumulated bills in his pot. The only way this could have happened was if the cashier had charged him for beers he hadn't had or were given to someone else by mistake. This is most unlikely, but we gave him the benefit of the doubt, given it was our first day of trading and the cashier was still getting used to the system.

So far there have been no further similar incidents, so hopefully it was a one-off.

Well in that case I agree, you can not do anymore than that, looks like you have things under control Mobi, I wish you well in your new venture!

post-25991-0-23367100-1399534874_thumb.p

This coming weekend at Mobi’s

· Formula One Spanish Grand Prix

· Final day of The 2013-4 EPL Season

All times are local.

FORMULA ONE

Friday 9 May: 14:55 - Practice Session 1

Friday 9 May: 18:55 - Practice Session 2

Saturday 10 May: 15:55 - Practice Session 3

Saturday 10 May: 18:30 – Qualifying.

Sunday 11 May: 18:15 – Main Race

EPL

Sunday 11 May – All games commence at 21:00

· SOUTHAMPTON VS MANCHESTER UNITED

· ARSENAL VS NORWICH CITY

· CARDIFF CITY VS CHELSEA

· MANCHESTER CITY VS WEST HAM UNITED

We can show two separate games on our two screens. Choice will be up to the majority of our customers, and we can even switch between all four games if there is a demand for this.

Come and join the Mobi crowd and enjoy the sport....

Well in that case I agree, you can not do anymore than that, looks like you have things under control Mobi, I wish you well in your new venture!

Thanks lemelsmile.png

Is it sod’s law that says anything that can go wrong will go wrong?

I arrived at the bar at around 2 p.m. to find an unhappy customer who had just been served a hot beer!!

And believe me it was really steaming at 2 p.m. this afternoon by the lake. Even my sprinkler system was spurting out hot water!

I checked the beer cooler - everything was warm as heck and the temp said 28 C.

The light was off and we all came to the conclusion that the cooler must have somehow been turned off the previous evening.

We shifted a load of booze to the ice box and freezer and waited for the drinks cooler to cool down again.

2 hours later it still showed 27 degrees.

Hmm… something wrong, but the bloody things is only 10 month old and still under guarantee!

Somehow my GF magicked up an a/c engineer by 5.30 p.m. and he pronounced that the compressor was kaput!

Wonderful!

Hopefully he will be able to fix it tomorrow but in the meantime drastic measures are called for.

We are going to buy a 200 litre additional cool box tonight and first thing tomorrow we will go out and buy a load of ice. (Normal deliveries don’t come until noon which will be too late to cool the beer etc.)

With the two cool boxes we should be able to keep everything for our Grand Prix/EPL customers until the cooler is back in service.

I’m getting too old for all this….sad.png

But its good funsmile.png

• Like 2