Mobi’s - The New Bar on Lake Mabprachan

Mobis

was the unhappy customer still charged for the beer?

Is it sod’s law that says anything that can go wrong will go wrong?

I arrived at the bar at around 2 p.m. to find an unhappy customer who had just been served a hot beer!!

And believe me it was really steaming at 2 p.m. this afternoon by the lake. Even my sprinkler system was spurting out hot water!

I checked the beer cooler - everything was warm as heck and the temp said 28 C.

The light was off and we all came to the conclusion that the cooler must have somehow been turned off the previous evening.

We shifted a load of booze to the ice box and freezer and waited for the drinks cooler to cool down again.

2 hours later it still showed 27 degrees.

Hmm… something wrong, but the bloody things is only 10 month old and still under guarantee!

Somehow my GF magicked up an a/c engineer by 5.30 p.m. and he pronounced that the compressor was kaput!

Wonderful!

Hopefully he will be able to fix it tomorrow but in the meantime drastic measures are called for.

We are going to buy a 200 litre additional cool box tonight and first thing tomorrow we will go out and buy a load of ice. (Normal deliveries don’t come until noon which will be too late to cool the beer etc.)

With the two cool boxes we should be able to keep everything for our Grand Prix/EPL customers until the cooler is back in service.

I’m getting too old for all this….sad.png

But its good funsmile.png

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it sod’s law that says anything that can go wrong will go wrong?

I arrived at the bar at around 2 p.m. to find an unhappy customer who had just been served a hot beer!!

And believe me it was really steaming at 2 p.m. this afternoon by the lake. Even my sprinkler system was spurting out hot water!

I checked the beer cooler - everything was warm as heck and the temp said 28 C.

The light was off and we all came to the conclusion that the cooler must have somehow been turned off the previous evening.

We shifted a load of booze to the ice box and freezer and waited for the drinks cooler to cool down again.

2 hours later it still showed 27 degrees.

Hmm… something wrong, but the bloody things is only 10 month old and still under guarantee!

Somehow my GF magicked up an a/c engineer by 5.30 p.m. and he pronounced that the compressor was kaput!

Wonderful!

Hopefully he will be able to fix it tomorrow but in the meantime drastic measures are called for.

We are going to buy a 200 litre additional cool box tonight and first thing tomorrow we will go out and buy a load of ice. (Normal deliveries don’t come until noon which will be too late to cool the beer etc.)

With the two cool boxes we should be able to keep everything for our Grand Prix/EPL customers until the cooler is back in service.

I’m getting too old for all this….sad.png

But its good funsmile.png

Let us know when the for sale sign is put up.

I live and learn

Rule No. 1 - never trust anything that is published on line from CTH.

I had already sussed that they had got all the wrong times for the Grand Prix qualifying and main race.

I now find the the EPL game advertised as Arsenal Vs Norwich City, is actually, Norwich Vs Arsenal.

More to the point is I completed missed the Liverpool/ Newcastle game as it was shown as 7.00 to 7:30 pm.!!!

I think I can safely assume that it will be shown at the proper time of 9:00 pm, (unless CTH possess a time travel machine) so it will be another watching choice along with the four games listed in my above post No.58.

See you there....

I dropped in tonight and spent a lot more time than I was expecting to spend primarily due to nice service and no hustle staff plus a friendly chat with the man himself ... I will definitely go back ..... and that is unrelated to the bar being only a 100 yards from my village gate ....smile.png

• Like 1

How about a photo of the staff.

Maybe next week when the numbers have stabilised.

One new girl who started a couple of days ago has been 'proposed to' 3 times already. She really is an eye catcher and I doubt she'll last long.

By 'proposed' - I mean taken away for good to live with the farang. It's crazy, they know her for 5 mins and they want her to move in.....Fortunately she has more sense than to accept - and no doubt will wait for the 'right' one.

We ended up having another reasonable day - despite the unbearable afternoon heat and the beer chiller going down the toilet. All the booze was kept nice and cool buried in ice.

The evening brought out a few punters to watch the Grand Prix qualifying session and then watch a random selection of my ancient music video clips which include classics as far back as the 50's and 60's.

The hot dogs and French Fries are still going down a storm - the unexpected hit of Mobi's by a mile.

There seems to be little food available along the lake these days - even Rendezvous has shut its restaurant - and all the bars that have signs advertising 'Food & Drink', only have 'drink'! - pissing off many a hungry punter when the staff say "sorry - no have"

One guy who is staying at the Rendezvous came by late last night with his 2 year old son, desperate to find some food and they both munched away on our meagre fayre, expressing much satisfaction.

I'm thinking of putting a giant sign outside to advertise the food - eat in or take away - as probably most Mabprachan residents are not aware that we have food.

I dropped in tonight and spent a lot more time than I was expecting to spend primarily due to nice service and no hustle staff plus a friendly chat with the man himself ... I will definitely go back ..... and that is unrelated to the bar being only a 100 yards from my village gate ....smile.png

Thanks Peter, it was a pleasure to meet you. Drop by any time, you are always welcome.

No ZZ Top then ?..............sad.png

Yes, we actually played ZZ top last night. The vids are a wide ranging eclectic mix - from the mid 50's (Nat King Cole, Sinatra etc) right up to the late 2,000's and even later as I get the collection updated.

But no rap, hip hop, garage, club or electronic 'Boom Boom' crap, and we play at a volume that allows conversation without the need to shout.

Soon we will be starting to show rock/pop concerts at night. I plan to put a list of concerts on the wall and punters can choose the evening's offering.

That's when there's no sport... of course.

• Like 1

No ZZ Top then ?..............sad.png

Yes, we actually played ZZ top last night. The vids are a wide ranging eclectic mix - from the mid 50's (Nat King Cole, Sinatra etc) right up to the late 2,000's and even later as I get the collection updated.

But no rap, hip hop, garage, club or electronic 'Boom Boom' crap, and we play at a volume that allows conversation without the need to shout.

Soon we will be starting to show rock/pop concerts at night. I plan to put a list of concerts on the wall and punters can choose the evening's offering.

That's when there's no sport... of course.

Sounds like you know what most of us want....10 out of 10 from me..............thumbsup.gif

How about a photo of the staff.

Maybe next week when the numbers have stabilised.

One new girl who started a couple of days ago has been 'proposed to' 3 times already. She really is an eye catcher and I doubt she'll last long.

By 'proposed' - I mean taken away for good to live with the farang. It's crazy, they know her for 5 mins and they want her to move in.....Fortunately she has more sense than to accept - and no doubt will wait for the 'right' one.

We ended up having another reasonable day - despite the unbearable afternoon heat and the beer chiller going down the toilet. All the booze was kept nice and cool buried in ice.

The evening brought out a few punters to watch the Grand Prix qualifying session and then watch a random selection of my ancient music video clips which include classics as far back as the 50's and 60's.

The hot dogs and French Fries are still going down a storm - the unexpected hit of Mobi's by a mile.

There seems to be little food available along the lake these days - even Rendezvous has shut its restaurant - and all the bars that have signs advertising 'Food & Drink', only have 'drink'! - pissing off many a hungry punter when the staff say "sorry - no have"

One guy who is staying at the Rendezvous came by late last night with his 2 year old son, desperate to find some food and they both munched away on our meagre fayre, expressing much satisfaction.

I'm thinking of putting a giant sign outside to advertise the food - eat in or take away - as probably most Mabprachan residents are not aware that we have food.

Sounds good, but that must be one of these time travel TV's you have as the F1 Qualifying is not on until tonight!thumbsup.gif

This is sounding more and more the kind of bar I'd like, which number less than a handful. Trouble is, I live on the bright side and it's quite a haul to the lake. Still, I may collect a Darksider friend one night and pop by. One of the few things (very few) that I like about Marquee bar is the amazing selection of old music videos. Looks like you have a similar, very attractive video music lineup.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but if you keep bringing in pretty staff, they'll get picked up before you can turn around and you'll be spending a lot of time training new staff. I think you know the answer. For me, I don't care so much about how attractive they are, I just care about smart service.

Seems like you're off to a good start, Mobi. Best of luck.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

By 'proposed' - I mean taken away for good to live with the farang. It's crazy, they know her for 5 mins and they want her to move in.....

Paints a good picture of what kind of foreigner live in Thailand. bah.gif

Would brainless idiots be a suitable description.

Mobi, to get the correct time for the formula one, just go to the official site http://www.formula1.com/default.html on the right side you will see all starting times for practice, qualifying and the race. Just below you will see a button to convert the time to your local time.

Yes thank you, I was aware of the site and am now using it.

Silly me, I was naive enough to think that if a TV company published a programme schedule, it would be checked for accuracy...

How was I to know that their published times for the F1 would be an whole hour adrift, and somehow thought that the Liverpool/Newcastle football match would start 2 hours before the other games and only last 30 minutes.....

As previously mentioned, I used to think that True Visions were bad, but these guys at CTH seem to be in a league of their own.

Anyway, now I know. and again thanks again for pointing out a website that I and others can rely on.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Mobi

By 'proposed' - I mean taken away for good to live with the farang. It's crazy, they know her for 5 mins and they want her to move in.....

Paints a good picture of what kind of foreigner live in Thailand. bah.gif

Would brainless idiots be a suitable description.

They could be of a kind disposition and wanting to keep the ladies in a safe and friendly enviroment away from lecherous/dubious persons-do not judge by your own standards thumbsup.gif

There are so many lonely, elderly and retired guys here who are looking for companionship in whatever form that takes. Most know the realities of a strictly commercial partnership since alternatives are limited - but some do not. But surprisingly many of these partnerships turn out well. A lot depends on the guy's pocket book as, even if love blossoms, the girls all have family commitments to keep and in Thailand that will prevail over most other considerations.....

• Like 1

just returned from a convivial 4 hour evening with cold towels, popcorn, F1, EPL, hot dog and 5 sensible conversations with 5 different customers. I will go back even with a 20km round trip. A pleasant change

just returned from a convivial 4 hour evening with cold towels, popcorn, F1, EPL, hot dog and 5 sensible conversations with 5 different customers. I will go back even with a 20km round trip. A pleasant change

Thank you for your kind words.

Sorry I had to rush off but I think you know the reason, and as you say there were others more erudite than me to take my place.

Hope to see you again soon.

Mobi

Tomorrow is Visakha Bucha Day and all the bars will be closed, including Mobi's.

All the staff are going to Ban Chang Beach to stuff themselves with crab and beer.

Mobi will be staying home in the shade....

See you all on Wednesday, God willing.

We're thinking about doing a weekend quiz-night, but need someone who can run it.

Any budding quiz-master volunteers out there?

Would a femail ex. PM be considered facepalm.gif

Upon reflection, it would have to be a Thai but I'm not sure that the lovely ex PM would fit the bill, both from a linguistic point of view or an ability to understand the questions - let alone provide the answers, even if they are written in front of her....

Edited by Mobi
  • Like 1

It's still steaming hot out by the lake, but as soon as the sun goes down the weather becomes much more pleasant.

Why not mosey on over and shoot the breezes amongst the breezes that waft over the lake at sunset and encircle us 'privileged few' who are enjoying the special ambience of Mobi's....smile.png

Ah... an ice cold beer and intelligent conversation... what else does a fella need?

It's still steaming hot out by the lake, but as soon as the sun goes down the weather becomes much more pleasant.

Why not mosey on over and shoot the breezes amongst the breezes that waft over the lake at sunset and encircle us 'privileged few' who are enjoying the special ambience of Mobi's....smile.png

Ah... an ice cold beer and intelligent conversation... what else does a fella need?

Heeeeeeeeeeey, can you guarantee the "intelligent" thingy.........?.................laugh.png

Heeeeeeeeeeey, can you guarantee the "intelligent" thingy.........?.................laugh.png

As long as I am there - yes....biggrin.png

Edited by Mobi
  • Like 1