I need to make a very difficult decision.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all, if you are looking for similar jobs as you had in Korea, you will be paid half what you were earning. If you are looking into International schools ignore all posters above and your girlfriend. The best International schools hire at job fairs and from overseas. However since your degree isn't subject speficic, you won't have much luck for the best schools. Your Korean EFL experience will not be considered for international schools. Depending on the area you will live in Thailand, your pay will be between 30-40k baht. You will work the same kind of schedules you did in Korea. Teaching in Thailand pretty much sucks.

You are a little old to have no future plan and to make whimsical choices to appease a girlfriend that you don't actually live with.

Teaching in Thailand is a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. Those claiming to have no degree and 80k baht a month salary are either FOS or extremely lucky. That is not by any stretch the norm.

Your 6k USD savings will last you about 6 months and then you are SOL. Start up living costs are quite high.

Build for a future or live a whirlwind life, that is a personal choice, but you don't really want to be 50 years old with nothing and a few years of fun experiences that will amount to nothing getting you a good job when you are spit out of Thailand.

Come to Thailand with a plan and not by whim.

just about everything in this post is inaccurate - first of all, i believe the minimum salary to be legally paid to a foreigner is 60-65k in order to obtain a work permit. the rest i am not going to bother to address.

have a look at http://www.isat.or.th/schools , the thai school term is starting soon but most international schools are still trying to fill positions for next school year (if they have vacancies) which starts in late august. the 'best' do hire most from job fairs, but if you already live here they do not have to pay for relocation, and there are dozens if not more of international schools to choose from.

I'm sorry, but some of your information is inaccurate. As Zeichen said the average farang ESL teacher salary in Thai secondary system is 30-40K .

If you "believe" but do not know the answer why are you correcting and patronising others?

I agree with you that with the OPs qualifications he should be looking at the much better paying International Schools.

• Like 1

You've received lots of advice here going in both directions. You're 44 with, it sounds like, little money, some possibility for work in the USA, and while many say opportunities for jobs in Thailand.....can you build a bit of a future nest egg in Thailand? You might want to ask yourself where your going to be at 54....64???

For what it's worth......go for the full time job in N.J. Work 10 years, maybe grab a pension, build the SS number and visit your GF in the summers and holidays. People say you're still young....YES YOU ARE! But you won't be in 10 years. Build a bit of a nest egg and security if it's serious with your GF maybe you marry her and bring her back to the states or visit her in the summer or during school breaks. I know a number of people who do that!! Make plans to retire in Thailand and still teach if you want. It's better to teach "IF YOU WANT" when you're 65 than to teach "BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO" when you hit retirement age!

Finally, I know many U.S. schools offer to pay for continuing education. Obviously, you already have a degree, but if you could get another degree/credits that would make you more valuable in Thailand you may be able to land a nice paying, high quality job here that may make a transition sooner, more lucrative and easier!

I've always been a "DELAYED GRATIFICATION" type of person. Do the work up front and then reap the rewards. I'd hate to HAVE TO WORK when I'm 65, but as they say in the Land Of Smiles..........UP TO YOU!

Book a round trip with return date for end Aug/ beginning of Sep

At the same time put in your paperwork to sub in NJ at the start of the school year in Sep

Then fly over to Thailand... Try to get a job and see how you like it

Worst case, it doesn't work out and you fly back to US at the end of the summer ... If you like it, send a message to schools you are registered to sub with telling them you are not available and change the return date back to US for end Mar after the school year finishes

If you so the above.. You risk nothing.. Worst case scenario, you have a great summer vacation with your GF and then continue to be a sub in NJ in the fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also there are lots of small international schools her in Thailand.

Since you have a degree in Education... No re along to limit your self to 30k per month ESL jobs

Would check out and apply to all of the schools listed on the below website ... I am sure at least a few of them are looking for teachers

I just took a closer look and their are 109 international schools listed...

Or better yet.. Give a copy of your resume to your GF and have her call all of the schools to talk to the Thai staff and find out which may have openings and then just send your resume to those ...

http://www.isat.or.th/schools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CWMcMurray

"I do have a teaching license so I'm in a different position from most people who are just there with a bachelor's degree. "

The problem with that assumption is that your license won't help you more than getting a local license. You won't get better pay just because you have a degree in special needs education. You are not a subject teacher, so you are not qualified to teach at international schools. If you get a job at an international school it will be a low ranked one at best. You don't seem to have a lot of experience teaching for someone who is 40+. You don't mention having home country experience and if you cannot get a job teaching in the US, you will not likely get hired at a good paying international school.

You will get a job, for that I am certain. You will not be making more than 40k baht a month, in Bangkok you might earn 50k if you are lucky.

I don't think the posters here know how many people working in Thailand have degrees in education. I have met 100's. My last school only paid 35k baht a month in CM and every teacher had a teacher's license.

You will survive. You may have a better daily life then back in NJ. You will most likely get burnt out after 1-2 years because no matter how much you work, you will not have much left over at the end of the year. If you save more than 100k baht a year, I would be surprised. Which may seem a lot but if your relationship goes somewhere and you start a family, you will be in dire straights. Work for a year or so in Thailand and then go abroad to teach. Korea, China both have better opportunities for saving. Korea would be ideal because your GF can easily get a visa and come with you.

Since you are definitely coming. Good luck and have fun. Keep your expectations low and you won't be dissapointed.

• Like 1

"I do have a teaching license so I'm in a different position from most people who are just there with a bachelor's degree. "

The problem with that assumption is that your license won't help you more than getting a local license. You won't get better pay just because you have a degree in special needs education. You are not a subject teacher, so you are not qualified to teach at international schools. If you get a job at an international school it will be a low ranked one at best. You don't seem to have a lot of experience teaching for someone who is 40+. You don't mention having home country experience and if you cannot get a job teaching in the US, you will not likely get hired at a good paying international school.

You will get a job, for that I am certain. You will not be making more than 40k baht a month, in Bangkok you might earn 50k if you are lucky.

I don't think the posters here know how many people working in Thailand have degrees in education. I have met 100's. My last school only paid 35k baht a month in CM and every teacher had a teacher's license.

You will survive. You may have a better daily life then back in NJ. You will most likely get burnt out after 1-2 years because no matter how much you work, you will not have much left over at the end of the year. If you save more than 100k baht a year, I would be surprised. Which may seem a lot but if your relationship goes somewhere and you start a family, you will be in dire straights. Work for a year or so in Thailand and then go abroad to teach. Korea, China both have better opportunities for saving. Korea would be ideal because your GF can easily get a visa and come with you.

Since you are definitely coming. Good luck and have fun. Keep your expectations low and you won't be dissapointed.

I disagree. A few International schools are starting to cater to special needs students. I have a friend who works with GEMS International School in Dubai. They have a special needs teacher. I know a few other people who are working in international schools and they have just opened a special needs classroom. Granted, the scene is different than it is in America. It's special ed lite. Still, special needs is something that is catching on in Asia. I think it puts me in a unique position. The majority of people who are teaching in Asia don't have special education degrees.

I taught for a year in the states, and I was a teacher's aide for 2 years. I started college later in life. I didn't go to college right out of highschool.

I guess not having a subject degree puts me in an odd position. It's also how I'm able sell myself. I have a buddy who is currently teaching at a good International school in China. The only experience he has is 7 years of hagwon (private academy) in Korea. He doesn't even have a teacher's degree. There are thousands of schools in China, so I would assume its easier to find a teaching position there.

Finally, it kinda irks me when people tell me that teacher pay sucks in Thailand. Maybe it does but you need to remember that you're in Thailand. Most Thais don't make $40k baht a month. I think we need to stop looking at the pay scale as if we are still living in an industrialized country. I know plenty of people who make $50k a year in New Jersey and they are still struggling to support their families. They have $3k in monthly mortgages. They pay $9k a year in taxes. Both parents need to work. Also, we are seeing a lot of good Americans slip right into poverty. The largest concentration ever. America isn't what it used to be.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by benj005
  • Like 1

An inflammatory post has been removed. Please stay on topic.

The timing for coming to Thailand is not particularly good as most schools will be staffed or nearly staffed. That said, there are always openings throughout the year. You mentioned that your GF is from Korat, but I am not sure where you plan to locate. If you are in Bangkok, there are always openings. It might take you some time to get settled into a job, but even if you take one that is less than what you want, you will have both feet on the ground for the next academic year. You will also have a clearer picture of what is happening in your personal life.

You are eligible for a non-immigrant B visa when you have a teaching job and you are eligible for the Teacher's License. You are way ahead of others on the curve.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

question for the teachers... given the OP has experience as a real teacher in farangland could he teach in a uni here?...

as i understand it, most are closed now for some special holiday (to adjust their term calendar in line with international standards) so plenty of time to get settled and choose the right position before they open again [in August i think]

longer term, i'm guessing working in a uni would also be less burdensome (in terms of working hours) so he would have plenty of time for private tutoring, or for making love to his girlfriend (or his students)

The term for all intents and purposes has started, but lots of panic in agencies. If you are hoofing it school to school, that is time...

95% agencies are trouble. So before you take the first thing that falls in your lap figuring they are all the same...there are worse and worser.

I'd recommend at min, 100k plus enough for return ticket home.

Two months: landing-actually working = two months, one month for paycheck.

Includes new clothes, not shoes. No pc or phone (does incl data plan). Buy clothes at home. Better fit, better ties, cheaper. Includes printer, perhaps exxy luxury but you will be at huge loss without. Incls visa run (arrive on double visa, saves time).

Do have your resume perfect, generic cover perfect and fir print to A4. Scan all docs!

Whatever you decide, nothing starts until you ate here. Don't easte your time emailing for jobs while not in Thailand. No one will be interested or may give false assurances.

If you can work in Korea...Korea!

Edited by Mencken

An inflammatory post has been removed. Please stay on topic.

The timing for coming to Thailand is not particularly good as most schools will be staffed or nearly staffed. That said, there are always openings throughout the year. You mentioned that your GF is from Korat, but I am not sure where you plan to locate. If you are in Bangkok, there are always openings. It might take you some time to get settled into a job, but even if you take one that is less than what you want, you will have both feet on the ground for the next academic year. You will also have a clearer picture of what is happening in your personal life.

You are eligible for a non-immigrant B visa when you have a teaching job and you are eligible for the Teacher's License. You are way ahead of others on the curve.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

My girlfriend is from Korat, but she works and lives in Bangkok. I was considering doing a double entry visa. Hopefully, this should give me plenty of time to find a job. Thanks.

First of all, if you are looking for similar jobs as you had in Korea, you will be paid half what you were earning. If you are looking into International schools ignore all posters above and your girlfriend. The best International schools hire at job fairs and from overseas. However since your degree isn't subject speficic, you won't have much luck for the best schools. Your Korean EFL experience will not be considered for international schools. Depending on the area you will live in Thailand, your pay will be between 30-40k baht. You will work the same kind of schedules you did in Korea. Teaching in Thailand pretty much sucks.

You are a little old to have no future plan and to make whimsical choices to appease a girlfriend that you don't actually live with.

Teaching in Thailand is a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. Those claiming to have no degree and 80k baht a month salary are either FOS or extremely lucky. That is not by any stretch the norm.

Your 6k USD savings will last you about 6 months and then you are SOL. Start up living costs are quite high.

Build for a future or live a whirlwind life, that is a personal choice, but you don't really want to be 50 years old with nothing and a few years of fun experiences that will amount to nothing getting you a good job when you are spit out of Thailand.

Come to Thailand with a plan and not by whim.

just about everything in this post is inaccurate - first of all, i believe the minimum salary to be legally paid to a foreigner is 60-65k in order to obtain a work permit. the rest i am not going to bother to address.

have a look at http://www.isat.or.th/schools , the thai school term is starting soon but most international schools are still trying to fill positions for next school year (if they have vacancies) which starts in late august. the 'best' do hire most from job fairs, but if you already live here they do not have to pay for relocation, and there are dozens if not more of international schools to choose from.

I'm sorry, but some of your information is inaccurate. As Zeichen said the average farang ESL teacher salary in Thai secondary system is 30-40K .

If you "believe" but do not know the answer why are you correcting and patronising others?

I agree with you that with the OPs qualifications he should be looking at the much better paying International Schools.

Yes that rule doesn't apply to teachers. Still, there are many teachers here earning that kind of money, even in Thai private schools.

I will give you an incentive to get off your backside and go to Thailand..

1. if you don't you'll never know

2.i would rather be homeless in Thailand than jobless in America

3.you will enjoy yourself

4someone will steal your girlfriend if you don't go.

Good point above about the printer. Print your own stuff and forget about the school office. The less contact you have with the Admin the happier everyone will be. When the class is going nuts and bashing each other and threatening to throw people out of the windows all you have to do is give them something to color. Thai kids of all ages love to color. Even in college. Colored pencils are cheap. No one uses crayons, maybe too hot. Have extra pencils for the poor kids.

Edited by thailiketoo

Good point above about the printer. Print your own stuff and forget about the school office. The less contact you have with the Admin the happier everyone will be. When the class is going nuts and bashing each other and threatening to throw people out of the windows all you have to do is give them something to color. Thai kids of all ages love to color. Even in college. Colored pencils are cheap. No one uses crayons, maybe too hot. Have extra pencils for the poor kids.

Give them something to color? Wow. If I attempted to do that in Korea I would have been fired. Thanks for the input.

I would check with the honorary consulates about getting a multi-entry B visa. That will save you lot's of future hassle. Used to be fairly easy, but I don't know what's up these days. Probably not doable easily anymore.....

ALABAMA

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL
P.O. BOX 4504
MONTGOMERY, AL 36103-4504
Tel : (334) 293-4623
Fax : (334) 242-2888
Honorary Consul-General, MR. ROBERT F. HENRY, JR.

COLORADO

1123 AURARIA PKWY, SUITE 200
DENVER, CO 80204
Tel : (303) 892-0118
Fax : (303) 892-0119
Honorary Consul-General, MR. Donald W. Ringsby

FLORIDA

2525 PONCE DE LEON BOULEVARD, SUITE 300
CORAL GABLES, FL 33134
Tel : (305) 445-7577 ext 2
Toll free #: (888) 336-3384
Fax : (305) 974-1287
Honorary Consul-General, MR. GEORGE M. CORRIGAN [email protected]
Honorary Consul, MR. LOUIS STINSON, JR. [email protected]
Honorary Consul, Ms. Maria D. Sariol [email protected]

GEORGIA

303 PEACHTREE STREET,N.E., SUITE 5300
ATLANTA, GA 30308
Tel : (404) 527-6778
Fax : (404) 527-4198
Honorary Consul-General, MR. R. WILLIAM IDE, III

HAWAII

1035 KIKOWAENA PLACE
HONOLULU, HI 96819
Tel : (808) 524-7787, Hotline (808) 218-8803
Fax : (808) 523-0044
E-mail : anongnart_mickie@yahoo.com
Honorary Consul-General, MR. COLIN MIYABARA

LOUISIANA

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE
320 JULIA STREET,
NEW ORLEANS, LA 70130
Tel : (504) 522-2021
Fax : (504) 523-1704
E-mail : [email protected]
Honorary Consul, MR. HENRY LAMBERT

MASSACHUSETTS

41 UNION STREET,
BOSTON, MA 02108
Tel : (617) 720-8424
Fax : (617) 227-2306
Honorary Consul-General, MR. JOSEPH MILANO

OKLAHOMA

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE
25900 EAST 81th STREET
BROKEN ARROW, OK 74014
Tel : (918) 357-1368
Fax : (918) 357-1369
Honorary Consul, MRS. NORA J. GORON

OREGON

1136 NW HOYT STREET, SUITE 210
PORTLAND, OR 97209
Tel : (503) 221-0440
Fax : (503) 221-0550|
Honorary Consul, MR. NICHOLAS J. STANLEY

TEXAS (Dallas)

13155 NOEL ROAD, SUITE 100
DALLAS, TX 75240
Tel : (972) 934-0022 ext 1204
Fax : (972) 725-0410
Honorary Consul-General, MR. W. FORREST SMITH

TEXAS (Houston)

600 TRAVIS, SUITE 2000
HOUSTON, TX 77002-2911
Tel : (713) 335-3907
Fax : (713) 228-1303
Honorary Consul-General, MR. CHARLES C. FOSTER

PUERTO RICO

P.O. BOX 7386
SAN JUAN, PR 00916-7386
Tel : (787) 751-0151
Fax : (787) 753-7276
Honorary Consul-General, MR. ROLANDO J. PIERNES

UTAH (Salt lake city)

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE
Administrative Office
8TH AVE. & C ST
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH 84143

Tel. 801-408-1901
Honorary Consul, DR. SCOTT F. HANSEN, MD

Give them something to color? Wow. If I attempted to do that in Korea I would have been fired. Thanks for the input.

Coloring is great. Draw a picture of yourself (student) and color it and make your own English ID card.

Coloring and games. Scavenger hunts. Races, yelling English words. Thai people have to have fun. Thai children must have fun. Thailand is all about communal fun. No Lone Rangers here. Never task an individual always at least a pair.

If Thai employees don't have fun at work they quit. Same with students.

I think we can discontinue the discussion of coloring. The OP doesn't have a job and not all schools are into entertaining the students. As a qualified teacher, he will be ahead of the curve on how to conduct himself in a classroom.

Many schools do not provide materials for teachers, so you will find that it's not all that different from the States in some regards. Be prepared to put out a little (not a lot) for things you might need for your classes. In Thailand it isn't the expense of these items, but it's actually trying to find them that is the problem.

But first, you need to get here and get a job. We are putting the cart before the horse, a little.

Like Scott said. Supplies are cheap. I used to fight with the office to get paper and then I just bought my own. I used to wait in line to get things copied then I bought a laser printer for the black and white and a color printer and had it converted to bottles of ink and printed my own. I ate for free or almost free everyplace I worked and the food was surprisingly good, hot and fresh.

There are many English teaching jobs in Thailand and your gf is right--you need to be here now. the session starts in a week or so. If you have some money left over after the plane ticket, I am sure you can find something. One issue is where. Some places need people all the time others not so. I know that Hatyai in the South is a good place to find jobs and it is cheaper living because not to many falangs about; hence the availability of teaching jobs too.

So, this guy with now 35 posts still has not made up his mind and banters about classroom activities. If this is not a troll, might as well be one.

No shortage of advice. No decision by OP.

I can tell you that you will not save a dime on a 30k a month job and no one is talking about hidden costs both the costs to get up a running (80-125k), a scooter in the sticks, classroom needs as Scott mentioned. B6000 plus hotel for TCC course for second waiver. Fo you require goreign food or air conditioning?

Then I do not think discussed is the fact that he gets four years and out by TCT rules at the moment.

As mentioned before, the guy is broke but has Nexus 5. Most likely on contract as well. This guy isn't going anywhere.

Teaching in Thailand shold only be undertaken by those already here and married or with some years of experience. Only entered by those with full qualifications knowing the pay and confusion. The rest are just mongers and scousers scraping an existence.

Go to Korea.

Have you even met your "girl friend", lol?

PS if you leave, you cannot go back. This is why its such a bad choice. Employment gaps of six months, you will never get work. Fudge up a job on the resume? Employers have access to tax records now. Nothing is private. Been gone more than three years and +30, good luck bro. 50? Homeless shelters for you even with a degree, there are just tons of other smart, degreed people who have a history. You are a ghost.

You don't even know if you will like or tolerate Thailand or teaching here.

The economy has changed, all I can tell you is that I personally after many years cannot go back.

Edited by Mencken
  • Like 1

Many people have already made their decision by the time they post on the forum. They are looking for validation of their decision.

Unless otherwise requested, most topics are left open. If you are done posting, you can feel free to move on.

A lot of posters have given some very helpful advice and guidance, that's all that you can do. People either take it or leave it.

At the end of the day, it's their choice.

So, this guy with now 35 posts still has not made up his mind and banters about classroom activities. If this is not a troll, might as well be one.

I can tell you that you will not save a dime on a 30k a month job and no one is talking about hidden costs both the costs to get up a running (80-125k), a scooter in the sticks, classroom needs as Scott mentioned. B6000 plus hotel for TCC course for second waiver. Fo you require goreign food or air conditioning?

Then I do not think discussed is the fact that he gets four years and out by TCT rules at the moment.

As mentioned before, the guy is broke but has Nexus 5. Most likely on contract as well. This guy isn't going anywhere.

Teaching in Thailand shold only be undertaken by those already here and married or with some years of experience. Only entered by those with full qualifications knowing the pay and confusion. The rest are just mongers and scousers scraping an existence.

Go to Korea.

PS if you leave, you cannot go back. This is why its such a bad choice. Employment gaps of six months, you will never get work. Fudge up a job on the resume? Employers have access to tax records now. Nothing is private. Been gone more than three years and +30, good luck bro. 50? Homeless shelters for you even with a degree, there are just tons of other smart, degreed people who have a history. You are a ghost.

The economy has changed, all I can tell you is that I personally after many years cannot go back.

What a load of negative <deleted>.

I dont know why some of you guys on here dont just kill themselves with such negative outlooks on life.

Life is what you make it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Go to Korea.

Why the sour response? I bought my Nexus 5. I don't have a contract. I pay minimal $50 a month. I got the phone because I can take it with me overseas. All I need to do is pop in a Sims card and I'm set.

I have an interview with an international school this week. I'm going to take the interview and I will see what transpires. I have located a few special ed positions in Thailand. I have emailed them and asked if they are currently hiring. If I'm not able to land a position I have decided that I will go back to Korea. I have talked it over with my gf and this is the best option to make money.

Finally, who said I was broke? I made enough money in South Korea to last me a while.

Go to Korea.

What a load of negative .

I dont know why some of you guys on here dont just kill themselves with such negative outlooks on life.

Life is what you make it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Damn right. I've stopped hanging out with people who spout negative trash. I like to look online for inspiration. This guy has no arms and yet he works for NASCAR.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/07/23/inspiring-story-of-how-an-engineer-with-no-arms-designs-nascar-vehicles/

Negative? How about reality check?

B30k per month does not even equal minimum wage.

10-11 month contracts now in fashion.

There are addl "must have/do" expenses also

You will never save for an emergency, let alone the future

At best you are looking at four years in Thailand. What will you do then? Korea? Will that even exist four years from now?

OP is nowhere close to 62 and broke. How will he get himself thru his next X years?

What if he gets somehow screwed and burns up a waiver?

What if he doesn't take well to the heat or food?

What if his "girl friend" gets pregnant or "pregnant"?

Can he do it? Yes. Should he do it? No.

He will be totally screwed if the TCT clamps down to one waiver and anyone that follows this mob knows full well they are completely illogical and unpredictable.

As I recall a huge part if this guys issue was being broke. That is not a good place for a 50yo to leave home to go overseas chasing puxxy and some minimum wage job. To all you equally broke misfits I am sure it sounds quite ok by you.

Edited by Mencken