Technology in Thailand

I did suggest a technology topic so here we go. smile.png

My high tech beverage chiller. The circuit board in the foreground is one I designed as part of an ultra high precision laser control system for the quantum optics laser lab. One of the items needed is a temperature stabilizer and this is a thermal electric cooler. Supply a voltage and you get a cold beverage. biggrin.png

14055616816_549b1801ca_c.jpg

Our microwave power room. Rebuilding our cooling system in the foreground, new 6 Megawatt microwave Klystron tube installed in the back right corner, and the high power pulse generator directly in the back.

14079884575_4da9a12e0e_z.jpg

My first attempt using the pano mode on my LG G2 mobile. Rather dark room and the distance to object was shifting so focus in center is a bit, uh off. biggrin.png Our 20MeV 6 Megawatt electron beam accelerator (LINAC).

13893307790_360923e92b_c.jpg

Things like this in the hands of Thai scare me. I can't get them to give me a good internet signal and they are playing with electron beam accelerators! crying.gif

My first attempt using the pano mode on my LG G2 mobile. Rather dark room and the distance to object was shifting so focus in center is a bit, uh off. biggrin.png Our 20MeV 6 Megawatt electron beam accelerator (LINAC).

Things like this in the hands of Thai scare me. I can't get them to give me a good internet signal and they are playing with electron beam accelerators! crying.gif

Actually I was the project manager for building this system as I was the only one with significant experience with LINACs in the US. I heavily trained them in operation, radiation safety and high voltage procedures before I turned the keys over, and i spent several months to be sure I was satisfied with their performance. Periodically I recheck safety to be sure it hasn't slipped. wink.png This machine is below ground with thick high density concrete for radiation shielding but had to add more as the radiation could be measured on the balcony at the other building. biggrin.png

Actually I was the project manager for building this system as I was the only one with significant experience with LINACs in the US. I heavily trained them in operation, radiation safety and high voltage procedures before I turned the keys over, and i spent several months to be sure I was satisfied with their performance. Periodically I recheck safety to be sure it hasn't slipped. wink.png This machine is below ground with thick high density concrete for radiation shielding but had to add more as the radiation could be measured on the balcony at the other building. biggrin.png

I hear why you say but that does not make me any more comfortable. I hope the team manning this apparatus was educated somewhere other than Thailand. I just have visions of a group of Homer Simpsons playing with radioactive material !

• 3 weeks later...

Finally after over one year of our LINAC being shutdown due to a failed Klystron tube we finally got a new tube in and everything reassembled. Pressing that little red beam on button was a bit of an anxious moment but it came on line. There was a loud bang as the high voltage section arced over briefly due to room humidity too high but we tested it at 5.4 megawatt 2.856GHz RF power. I've added a video done with my LG G2 to show it in operation with sound. A static photo doesn't give you the dynamics.

14278572641_0f4d1dc8b7_c.jpg

Finally after over one year of our LINAC being shutdown due to a failed Klystron tube we finally got a new tube in and everything reassembled. Pressing that little red beam on button was a bit of an anxious moment but it came on line. There was a loud bang as the high voltage section arced over briefly due to room humidity too high but we tested it at 5.4 megawatt 2.856GHz RF power. I've added a video done with my LG G2 to show it in operation with sound. A static photo doesn't give you the dynamics.

14278572641_0f4d1dc8b7_c.jpg

Don't let your wife see that. She'll never stop complaining about how untidy all the wires are biggrin.png

I can't help but think...homemade lightning bolts Tywais!

Been there, done that. Ok, they were Tesla coils with 1 meter arc lengths but my students kept calling it the lightning machine. biggrin.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My newest toy, a new linear accelerator I've been tasked to design and build. Based on a magnetron, same thing used in a microwave oven but on steroids at 2 Megawatts, 4MeV.

14781698729_3c77f2c825_c.jpg

Its big brother in the background, 6 Megawatt 20MeV LINAC. Only can see about 25% of it in the picture, the extraction end.

14781709960_3d897f1fa8_c.jpg

My newest toy, a new linear accelerator I've been tasked to design and build. Based on a magnetron, same thing used in a microwave oven but on steroids at 2 Megawatts, 4MeV.

How fast will it heat a meat pie?

Many years ago, before Health and Safety was invented, we were testing radar magnetrons into a horn (no dummy load, just a red and white keep-out tape), Ginsters Cornwall's Pride pasty to eating temp in about 5 minutes tongue.png (average power was only about 250Watts)

How fast will it heat a meat pie?

Many years ago, before Health and Safety was invented, we were testing radar magnetrons into a horn (no dummy load, just a red and white keep-out tape), Ginsters Cornwall's Pride pasty to eating temp in about 5 minutes tongue.png (average power was only about 250Watts)

This one has a very low duty cycle, as do most radar type magnetron microwave systems. 4us pulse at 400 pulses per second but still average power is 3kW. Enough that we have a closed loop water cooling system for it and associated components. A nice coffee warmer. wink.png

More boring stuff. 150 kilovolt Nitrogen/Argon ION beam implanter. Originally used for semiconductor production in a research environment. Now has been used for genetic mutation of rice and flowers. Currently mainly used in gemstone modification to improve or change color and clarity.

Target chamber on far right with the small window in it to change samples.

14983566136_f8d0497344_c.jpg

The control console:

14983564546_f6f57957d9_c.jpg

And what the beam looks like on a fluorescent screen:

14820107630_d402a47600_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I figure Videography is also photography but with motion. biggrin.png We had a student tour of our accelerator facility today, 5 groups of 12 students. I leave my Panasonic GH2 with its 14-140mm silent (video) lens at the office now and my Olympus at home. Best viewed at full 1080 HD and full screen to see the quality.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived