Spreading Ourselves Too Thin?

cdnvic

I like the new community forums, but I'm wondering if we have too many forums now and its spreading the posts around so much that the main forum doesn't have the 'critical mass' that usually makes it livelier.

Lately I've noticed that some threads that relate to one area or another get moved out of the upper tier into the community forums where they don't get the readership they would up top. Now unless you want to hunt around through every catagory, you miss alot of threads.

Maybe along with adding these new forums we could kill off a few others? Bird flu has had its day for now, and maybe a few community forums could be consolidated to make them a little more active. (Northern Thailand/Issan/Pattaya/South) Bangkok stuff often is relevant to all, so it could just stay in general. Gay people and Girls as Jeeps pointed out, would be better off up top.

I'm just worried that if we overspecialize the forum it won't have quite that same sense of community, I'm not trying to complain.

cv

I like the new community forums, but I'm wondering if we have too many forums now and its spreading the posts around so much that the main forum doesn't have the 'critical mass' that usually makes it livelier.

Agree with you.

Too many forums are counter productive.

It is not that easy to get people opinions in any forums, so the more forums, the more difficult it will be,... :o

Agreed, I have seen a post asking about hotels in hua hin moved from the travelling forum to the hua hin forum but a post about a pattaya hotel was kept in the travelling section. It makes it hard to figure out where to look.

Although I understand the comments, it is may be too early to " complain ".

I think it is in principal a good idea too diverse.

I am interseted in Korat/Isaan/NE.If I want to find something in travel about this subject ,may be I have to go 5 pages backwards to find something,if any!

Give it time I suggest :o

Guest The Judge

I try to think on this from an admins perspective.

Do you make regional forums, socially based, or do you make all forums based on the actual issues discussed within.

Thaivisa is a "social content" forum, therefore it makes sense to make regional issues, social contecnt only. That includes travel, which mwenans the specific travel forums go.

If I was an admin, I would make all regional forums social content only, and anything that from a travel perspective has a social view, goes in there.

If it has a mechanics content "how do I get there?", it goes in travel.

Maybe the admins can consider that.

I would guess that you keep track on the number of postings for each forum.

Did that number go down by creating new forums?

Probably yes but did the actual number of postings for all forums tallied together go down or up when you created the new forums?

Anyway, statistical analysis should give you quite a fair idea on how smart you are,...

And I guess you know the answer already,... :o

• 2 weeks later...
cdnvic Posted on Sun 2004-03-07, 14:12:56

and Girls as Jeeps pointed out, would be better off up top.

Girls always enjoy it better up top, cdnvic! :D Out of context I know but I couldn't resist :o