Poachers drug and steal ivory from elephant at Hussadin Elephant Foundation in Hua Hin

Poachers drug and steal ivory from elephant at Hussadin Elephant Foundation in Hua Hin

Poachers+drug+and+steal+ivory+from+eleph

HUA HIN:-- In the early hours of Saturday morning (3rd May) , a group of 3 men broke into the Hussadin Hua Hin Elephant Foundation and fed a banana mixed with sedative drugs to one of the foundations elephants before cutting and removing its ivory.

They also cut the tail hair of another female elephant. The elephant, after the drug effect, has been crying in pain. The similar case happened in this foundation before.

The unfortunatly elephant died later due to an infection from the cut.

tvn.png
-- 2014-05-05

Source: Talay Hua Hin

I know exactly what i would do if i caught these sick people ! (don't really need to spell it out ) And pretty sure most of you would agree with me !

• Like 1

One word " Sick " and then a thought. I don't understand why the Thai government will not protect the elephant. No major punishment for killing This is their national symbol. Give someone 20 years and watch the decline in this type of thing.

And if you think " oh well its just an animal" so is the bald eagle. See what happens in the United States if you mess with a bald eagle MAJOR JAIL TIME. As a result of this harsh punishment The bald eagle has come back back from the brink of extinction.

• Like 2

I think this story is not the truth.

It is very common for owners of male captive elephants in elephant tourist camps to remove the tusks of big males. It has happened here before.

Some points are very suspicious;

1. How do they know their were pills in the bananas if they didn't do it themselves?

2. What medication was used? I work with elephants daily and I know for a fact that it is virtually impossible to get them under anaesthesia with pills.

3. If thieves did it, why did they only cut a small safe part? if they would cut 15-20cm more they would get 400,000 baht more for the ivory...

Selling ivory within Thailand from domestic elephants is completely legal, however I do understand that the tusks of an elephant in a "rescue center" should not be cut, so maybe the real reason it had to be done at night and to blamed on others.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'd like to knock their teeth out with a hammer

Far too quick, I suggest a very fine file or sandpaper so it takes a while to ground them down.

In that case I'd rather use my electric grinder...