A recent visit to Udon Thani

BugJackBaron

I had an enjoyable trip over Songkran in and near Udon Thani but I noticed some changes since my last visit 3 years ago.

Development has led to a mediocre but expensive breakfast buffet being offered at the biggest hotel next to Central.My friend who lives in a farm nearby also noted the decline in quality.

Cheap hotels that were clean and decent 3 years ago are now decaying backpacker holes.

Many more Thais homeless on the streets. Some looked like they never had a job but others....

It's not the sexpats or hippy backpackers that are ruining the place but big business. However, Udon still has some charm and life left.

I'm not going to mention the other Isaan city that is still low-key and has great value-for money in food and accommodation.

Edited by BugJackBaron

You might have to hunt A little but you find good quality breakfasts in Udon.Ant the last 2 to 3 years there have been A few new hotels build at reasonable prices.Um I guess I'm A little prejudice ,I think Udon is one of the best places to live in Thailand.

If you've never been there take time out of your schedule and take A few days and take A look.

• Like 1