Visa crackdown risks stranding Phuket expats in Myanmar

webfact

This means you're living here on a tourist visa, which is not hoe they were meant to be used. Which is why triple entry tourist visa are already much more difficult to get.

Right. What I should be on is a retirement visa. I am retired and all my income is from investments. But I cannot get a retirement visa because I'm not 50 yet.

So, pray tell, which visa should I apply for?

None. According to the intention of the rules you are not eiligible to live in Thailand.

The rules are intended to allow people with foreign income sources to retire here. I am such a person.

Yes, if over 50 years old.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's about time. "Expats" are staying a long time so should have the correct visa extension. They aren't tourists.

What "correct visa extension" would you suggest for someone who is under 50 years of age, self funded, not married to a Thai and has no desire to go to school here????

Move, obviously Thailand does not want that someone..

very good. thailand should kick out all farangs working here without a work permit and never let them back again.

This will hurt many more non-farang than farang.

Thaibreaker is absolutely right!

It seems incredible that a country like Thailand which relies so heavily on tourism, makes it so incredibly difficult for people to stay here for any more than the standard 28 days!

This paranoia even extends to the well-off ! For instance, a private individual cannot own or operate a helicopter in Thailand ! Why not? Apparently because they might go smuggling with it across the various borders!! But you can own a fixed wing aircraft which would be far more convenient and carry more goods! Any development I am involved in, will have a hallmark all-weather Helipad included, as one day someone will see common sense! I am relying

on it !

I understand your post and it has some valid points. However, tourists most probably fail the test of what constitutes a tourist when they stay for extended periods and fail to comply with non-immigrant visa laws.

Many countries have similar laws to control, monitor and expel people as it sees fit. As for the helicopter vs fixed wing aircraft, it probably is a minority that would be interested in owning or using one here. There again, it is the government that makes the laws and not expatriates such as myself.

• Like 1

Well it's about time. "Expats" are staying a long time so should have the correct visa extension. They aren't tourists.

What "correct visa extension" would you suggest for someone who is under 50 years of age, self funded, not married to a Thai and has no desire to go to school here????

Move, obviously Thailand does not want that someone..

So, they discriminate based on age.

I wonder, do you guys think this is only for Ranong or all border locations?

Not sure about all crossings, but they have really clamped down on it at the Mai Sai border. ( where Chiang Mai / Rai tourists do thier runs )

My TGF has a 10 year visa for the United States good for six months per entry. Please help me get the same visa for Thailand.

Oh, right...it doesn't exist.

Guess I'll have to keep doing border runs.

• Like 1

The problem with being stuck in Myanmar is that if you don't arrive with a visa, you aren't permitted to travel to the rest of the country and are basically stuck in limbo if the Thais don't let you back in. Sure, you could spend the full 2 weeks or so hanging around in Kawthoung and vicinity on a $10 entry stamp (or is it 28 days now?) but unless they introduce visas-on-arrival you'll have to exit for Thailand at some point, unless you fancy living in Kawthoung on an expired entry stamp. Since there must be a way out either the Myanmar authorities would have to budge and allow you to at least travel out of Myanmar by air via Yangon on an entry stamp only (never heard of that being allowed, but you never know) or the Thai authorities would have to let in these foreigners that are supposed to be refused at least for a day or up to 7 days in order to make arrangements to leave. I think the latter is already occurring.

Of course, the safest bet if you really need to exit via Ranong would be to show up when you leave Thailand with a Myanmar visa that of course allows you to travel where you want inside Myanmar and be prepared to travel up to Yangon to get a new visa rather than risk being refused entry back into Thailand on a visa exempt stamp. That or travel to another border crossing or start traveling by air, etc. If you're a dual citizen you can fly in/out by switching passports every time you re-enter to avoid getting too many stamps in one passport and thus play the system. If you only hold one nationality then you'll really need to get a visa sooner and/or do more visa runs by air.

I had a company I sold and an online service I setup that requires no work and generates a nice income with no outside intervention.

I spend per month:

25k rent

2.5k electric

1.5k internet

2k gym

1k bts card

1k laundry service

40k (approx) on food, eating out and going to clubs, cinema etc

8k a month on 1-1 Thai lessons

1k haircuts

So around 80k per month in total. Every other month I'll take a trip away which will run 15-20k. Over a 2 year period I've spent at least an additional 250k or so on Camera, lenses, TV, games console, games, home cinema, movies, clothes and more. I put a decent amount of money into the Thai economy and know many others in the same boat. I'm 30 and have no interest in marrying yet so the visa situation isn't easy.

I'm on a tourist visa (triple entry) and will likely move to an ED visa (and I will attend school), however it would be much easier if there was an option for long term tourists who have no requirement or desire to work.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get a year visa. AINT HARD

how do you get a year visa?

marry a Thai, get a job here, retire here are among a few ways.

All those things sound pretty hard. Especially the retirement one for people under 50.

In actuality getting a 1 year visa is very difficult. So the guy who said it "ain't hard" is a tool.

Well i cannot agree with that ! I have been living here for last 9 years on Non Immigrant "O" visa. I go back to Oz every 15 months for a few weeks and just renew it for a further 15 mths...................Easy! I think that you are the "tool" whatever that means.

Edited by oldsailor35
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get a year visa. AINT HARD

how do you get a year visa?

marry a Thai, get a job here, retire here are among a few ways.

Who said marrying is an easy way? That sounds like a prison sentence, more than a visa.

Seriously, how many people flock to Thailand for the Job Market???

Leaves retirement....... I am of age, but I met dozens who are not..but have enough cash to stay.

I had a company I sold and an online service I setup that requires no work and generates a nice income with no outside intervention.

I spend per month:

25k rent

2.5k electric

1.5k internet

2k gym

1k bts card

1k laundry service

1k haircuts

So around 80k per month in total. Every other month I'll take a trip away which will run 15-20k. Over a 2 year period I've spent at least an additional 250k or so on Camera, lenses, TV, games console, games, home cinema, movies, clothes and more. I put a decent amount of money into the Thai economy and know many others in the same boat. I'm 30 and have no interest in marrying yet so the visa situation isn't easy.

I'm on a tourist visa (triple entry) and will likely move to an ED visa (and I will attend school), however it would be much easier if there was an option for long term tourists who have no requirement or desire to work.

Yup, this is what I don't understand. This country is fueled by greed so they are shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing long-stays who are bringing money into Thailand. LOL at the grumpy old guys quoting visa regulations. This is not your nanny state. This was the wild west which is what attracted me in the 1st place, but you'd like to turn it into another shithole like the one you left.

when will all this stop ,we marry thai lady ,build house here come and live ,most of cause no problems ,we support there parents,educate there children ,then get hard time from the government ,visa runs ,our thai wife can come to the west get visa for life without any investment ,can start new life with no problems from the government /work,in the UK free health care ,,about time thailand ,gave as old gents little respect for our efforts ,for sure marrying a thai lady is better than ending up in a OAP home ,well maybe ,and well maybe cheaper

Get a marriage visa

when will all this stop ,we marry thai lady ,build house here come and live ,most of cause no problems ,we support there parents,educate there children ,then get hard time from the government ,visa runs ,our thai wife can come to the west get visa for life without any investment ,can start new life with no problems from the government /work,in the UK free health care ,,about time thailand ,gave as old gents little respect for our efforts ,for sure marrying a thai lady is better than ending up in a OAP home ,well maybe ,and well maybe cheaper

Get a marriage visa

I think you missed his point. Even with a marriage visa there is the bullshit of 90 day reporting, renewing every year. In most 1st world countries, once you have been accepted for long stay, there isn't the constant bullshit of 90 day reporting and visa renewing for the rest of your life...once you're in, you're in.

Any one who drives 400 km north of Phuket to get to Ranong is taking a pretty weird route.

Yes Google Maps has it at 289 Km, perhaps they went via Surit Thani & Chumpon

I bet my wife was navigating,She argues with my sat nav.

This is the fact this is Thailand and the Thais makes the rules and laws its their country. This whinging I am young i should be

allowed to break the rules and laws because they don't suit me bullshit. I have gone to the trouble to make sure I get the correct

visa as I am lucky because I can with in the constraints of Thai law. I think the Thais are correct they don't want you if you break

( or do not like) their laws. My home country they have opened their borders and now we have many migrants drawing social welfare

and breaking our country .

My situation I am married to a Thai lady (10 years) who holds a European passport. We also have a 5 year old so applied for a

a non immigrant O multi entry visa. Then went and applied for a marriage visa and do 90 day reporting which is a pain but yes

they are the rules.

• Like 2

I spend per month:

25k rent

2.5k electric

1.5k internet

2k gym

1k bts card

1k laundry service

1k haircuts

Sounds like you're working here.

This is unfortunately the problem, I think it has to have something to do with the Russian gangsters and the story about them killing somebody over a debt, actually they were going to murder the wife also but she herself stabbed herself in the neck and they thought she was dead anyway so they only killed the guy. Point is those people have yet to be found and I guess they are wanting to get rid of some of these types, which is good in a way.

If you are married then you can get a renewable yearly visa based on marriage in any case, the only pain is the three monthly address reports but I think those can be done away with, if you are in the trebbian baan which also means you can buy cars and motorbikes and put them in your name as you there is an address to register the vehicle too, so that is an added bonus of being on the electoral register, though you of course don't have the right to vote though.

Even if you are a teacher you can also get a yearly renewable visa based on employment too.

Also, the immigration have been good in warning people not to leave to Burma as there is no embassy or consulate there so they could get stranded, I think normally they wouldn't bother.

Get a marriage visa

I think you missed his point. Even with a marriage visa there is the bullshit of 90 day reporting, renewing every year. In most 1st world countries, once you have been accepted for long stay, there isn't the constant bullshit of 90 day reporting and visa renewing for the rest of your life...once you're in, you're in.

You can get a residency permit or/and be put on a trebbian baan book, a yellow book which means that you wouldn't then have to report your address to immigration every 90 days, I believe that is the case.

You can also post them to immigration apparently, I never did as I wanted to be sure that it was done, you can go to every immigration bureau, once I was in Loei as there was a flood in Bangkok so I went to the immigration place in Chiang Khan, those there though asked for a tip which of course you don't have to pay, I gave him 100 baht so he could chip in and buy some whisky though you need not pay it.

"

1. Photocopy of passport pages with following pages

- front page showing name / surname / Passport No., ect.

- current visa

- last entry stamp of immigration

- last extension of visa

2. Photocopy of departure card TM.6 click to view Example TM.6 card
  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any) click to view Example document
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47 click to view Example document (Don't forget to sign name.)
  5. Envelope with 10 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.

Send the mail before the renewal date 15 days to Immigration office

Notice :

- Your registered mail must be sent to the Immigration office at least 15 days before the due date of notification.

- Your new form will be stamped as of the expiration date of your old receipt.

- Please keep your receipt of your registered mail in case of lost mail.

- Your document can not be processed if you have passed the 90 days limit. ( You must come to the nearest immigration office or Immigration Division 1 in person to pay fine 2,000 Baht)

- Waiting for reply mail over 1 month, please contact Immigration Office with your registered mail receipt. "

Shame it can't be done online though.

This comes from the immigration website, so you can send it by post, at least a week beforehand and by registered mail, retain the slip and if you haven't received anything within a month contact them with the slip and provide new documents, etc, everything should be fine and more convenient then.

Edited by ben2203
  • Like 1

How many criminals do ya think really use these CHEAP visa services or make this trip themselves to Ranong??

Most criminals I know have money to burn or launder and use air travel usually buisness class to do there visa runs..

All paid for with other peoples money...

How many criminals do ya think really use these CHEAP visa services or make this trip themselves to Ranong??

Most criminals I know have money to burn or launder and use air travel usually buisness class to do there visa runs..

All paid for with other peoples money...

Maybe has something to do with Burmese labourers then perhaps?

Though, isn't that rule supposed to apply to all entry points?

from one old gent to another,i have said before I am willing to pay for 5yr.extensions or even 10yr.ones so as not have to report to imm.police as if we are on probation.

This is NEWS?

That rule has been in effect for years. I would have thought most people knew this.

Am I wrong?

I doubt it would be touted as news if your above statement was correct.

It would read no change to the current visa exemption rules enter and leave Thailand by land border at your leisure as you have been doing.

Edited by stoneyboy

I spend per month:

25k rent

2.5k electric

1.5k internet

2k gym

1k bts card

1k laundry service

1k haircuts

Sounds like you're working here.

Did you read the first line? Not sure how that "sounds" like I'm working here.

I started my first company at 20 years old, built it up until I had a good client base and a good team for 8 years and then sold it to a competitor. In the last few years of the company in my free time I developed some software addressing a need in a niche but popular market. I setup partners to sell it, sourced a company to support it if there are any issues and all invoicing and payment is automated so I don't have to do a thing.

So I apologise for how it "sounds" to you but some people are fortunate enough to put themselves in a position where they don't need to work.

• Like 1

Get a marriage visa

It's true everyone is annoyed by that but I can promise you that will NEVER change.