Visa crackdown risks stranding Phuket expats in Myanmar

webfact

Thaibreaker is absolutely right!

It seems incredible that a country like Thailand which relies so heavily on tourism, makes it so incredibly difficult for people to stay here for any more than the standard 28 days!

This paranoia even extends to the well-off ! For instance, a private individual cannot own or operate a helicopter in Thailand ! Why not? Apparently because they might go smuggling with it across the various borders!! But you can own a fixed wing aircraft which would be far more convenient and carry more goods! Any development I am involved in, will have a hallmark all-weather Helipad included, as one day someone will see common sense! I am relying

on it !

A Tourist mostly is a Person visit a Country for Holidays.. because they work at home, then 4 weeks is far enough. Thailand even give then 2 possible extensions.. if you stay more then 3 month you are not a "Tourist" and thats very simple against the law...

A triple entry visa actually allows for 9 months in total - not at all against the law.

1. in once, 60 days

2. extend: 30 days

3. take a trip out and 60 days on return

4. extend 30 days

5. take a trip out and get 60 days on return

6. extend 30 days.

Completely legal.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question: I have 7 one month visas in my passport. My 30 days will be up on may 10 yet my flight to America is on the 13. Should I risk another border run to Sadao and bring along a copy of plane ticket or should I just pay a fine right before I leave Thailand?

question: I have 7 one month visas in my passport. My 30 days will be up on may 10 yet my flight to America is on the 13. Should I risk another border run to Sadao and bring along a copy of plane ticket or should I just pay a fine right before I leave Thailand?

You are asking your question in the wrong place.

You will pay an overstay fine of 1000 baht or you could go to immigration to apply for a 7 day extension that costs 1900, If you have more questions please do a post here in the Thai visas forum. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

Well it's about time. "Expats" are staying a long time so should have the correct visa extension. They aren't tourists.

What "correct visa extension" would you suggest for someone who is under 50 years of age, self funded, not married to a Thai and has no desire to go to school here????

To you and all the other ones asking this.

You must live in a tourist resort. You obviously can't speak Thai.

This is Thailand and there are ALWAYS ways around issues like this.

If you act like a tourist you'll be treated like one.

I'm not going to spell it out for you but I perdonally know 2 pro poker players in Phuket and they pay 20k baht for their 1 year visa so they n4ver have to leave.

If you don't know how to get this you don't deserve a visa to stay.

Do you think Thais wanting to be tourists in our countries gave it easier?

Edited by Neeranam

Are they cracking down in general? I'm soon to apply in the UK for my 1 year multi entry 'O' visa and I'm sweating a bit. When I left I managed to get deported for a 1 year overstay (it's complicated, didn't really happen that way, but on advice of the British Embassy I had to go with it) and now have a nice deportation stamp in my passport (but am not, it seems, blacklisted). That was about a year and a half ago that I came back to the UK. I've been told that overstays are no big deal and that ppl sometimes get let back in even after several overstays. The embassy in London said it'd be fine. Birmingham said it might not. I'm confident they'll give me the visa, but worry someone will cause trouble when I get to passport control at swampy.

fauxie why don't you accidently lose your passport and get a new one???

should ease your worried mind. thumbsup.gif

This is NEWS?

That rule has been in effect for years. I would have thought most people knew this.

Am I wrong?

You are correct, I got caught on this very rule when it first came in, that was before I finally retired

6 years ago, so it has been applicable for at least 6 years to my knowledge, and I think there was a

time limit from your last time in on the 90 days to your returning on a visa free entry, can't remember

but I think it was 90 days before you could come back without a visa?

Thaibreaker is absolutely right!

It seems incredible that a country like Thailand which relies so heavily on tourism, makes it so incredibly difficult for people to stay here for any more than the standard 28 days!

This paranoia even extends to the well-off ! For instance, a private individual cannot own or operate a helicopter in Thailand ! Why not? Apparently because they might go smuggling with it across the various borders!! But you can own a fixed wing aircraft which would be far more convenient and carry more goods! Any development I am involved in, will have a hallmark all-weather Helipad included, as one day someone will see common sense! I am relying

on it !

A Tourist mostly is a Person visit a Country for Holidays.. because they work at home, then 4 weeks is far enough. Thailand even give then 2 possible extensions.. if you stay more then 3 month you are not a "Tourist" and thats very simple against the law...

A triple entry visa actually allows for 9 months in total - not at all against the law.

1. in once, 60 days

2. extend: 30 days

3. take a trip out and 60 days on return

4. extend 30 days

5. take a trip out and get 60 days on return

6. extend 30 days.

Completely legal.

As far as I can see by this thread Rascal there is no problem with tourist visas rather

the problem lies with multiple visa exempt entries which I believe actually became law

some 6 or more years ago but appears to have been neglected as far as enforcement

is concerned for some time and now it is being enforced again so not really a change

of rules but a boost of enforcement of a longstanding oversight by immigration.

But of course that is only my interpretation who know the real reason??? facepalm.gif

This is NEWS?

That rule has been in effect for years. I would have thought most people knew this.

Am I wrong?

You are correct, I got caught on this very rule when it first came in, that was before I finally retired

6 years ago, so it has been applicable for at least 6 years to my knowledge, and I think there was a

time limit from your last time in on the 90 days to your returning on a visa free entry, can't remember

That rule (max 90 days visa exempt in 180 days) was abandoned when the 15 days visa exempt was introduced.

Are they cracking down in general? I'm soon to apply in the UK for my 1 year multi entry 'O' visa and I'm sweating a bit. When I left I managed to get deported for a 1 year overstay (it's complicated, didn't really happen that way, but on advice of the British Embassy I had to go with it) and now have a nice deportation stamp in my passport (but am not, it seems, blacklisted). That was about a year and a half ago that I came back to the UK. I've been told that overstays are no big deal and that ppl sometimes get let back in even after several overstays. The embassy in London said it'd be fine. Birmingham said it might not. I'm confident they'll give me the visa, but worry someone will cause trouble when I get to passport control at swampy.

fauxie why don't you accidently lose your passport and get a new one???

should ease your worried mind. thumbsup.gif

If yyou lose your passport you will be grilled at the Embassy. Best thing would be to accidentally leave it in your pocket and wash your jeans. That way you have your back page intact but need a new one.

This is NEWS?

Am I wrong?

That rule (max 90 days visa exempt in 180 days) was abandoned when the 15 days visa exempt was introduced.

Well steven it very much looks like it has been unabandoned and re-instated albiet as a slightly

modified version??? coffee1.gif

This is NEWS?

Am I wrong?

Well steven it very much looks like it has been unabandoned and re-instated albiet as a slightly

modified version??? coffee1.gif

Yes, I guess you could see it that way. But modified indeed, to make it much easier to check. Counting days in a passport can be a pain, but 3 entries are easy to see.

Hi guys,

I wanna tell you about my story here and i hope you can give me any advice for my problem about overstay in the kingdom. I am working her in Thailand and i do have a permit for 1 year and also a working permit to work!

So this is my story, I still have a valid working visa and a stamp on my passport for like 6 months, and when I travel outside the country and back my remaining visa is not valid anymore! its because I don't secure a re - entry visa. So i was shock when i show up in the immigration office they said my visa is not valid anymore and I'm A OVERSTAY here now for 6 months! and I'm really scared now and freaking out what should i would do! Im ignorance about re-entry I know guy!?

My company now are still processing my documents for re-applying the non b visa in Penang and Ill pay for my overstay in sadao boarders. for like 20k baht!! Now i want to know if there any restriction as the moment in penang or sadao boarders and is it easy to just pay the 20k baht for penalties and good to go malaysia penang and process NON B?

Im begging for a good advice here guys hope you can help me!

thanks

I don't know if this is still valid, but, Penang would not issue any visa if you had legally extended a previous visa (extending 60 day visa by 30 days etc).

The 20,000 Bt fine should be done at an airport. At a land border, you might get arrested.

I know my six months visa stamp on my passport is not valid anymore because i dont get the re-entey visa when i came back to thailand its already invalid. I think its more risky to pay at the airport than boarders like sadao? because airport immigration officer they will interogate you and catch the flight as soon as possible. I want to stay here thailand!

cross finger. I still need to wait for my docs. so that i can process non b in penang soon. any issues here from overstay and pay the 20thb in sadao boarders? the exit go to malaysia and process non b? any case everyone? advice. Im freaking Out?

I know my six months visa stamp on my passport is not valid anymore because i dont get the re-entey visa when i came back to thailand its already invalid. I think its more risky to pay at the airport than boarders like sadao? because airport immigration officer they will interogate you and catch the flight as soon as possible. I want to stay here thailand!

cross finger. I still need to wait for my docs. so that i can process non b in penang soon. any issues here from overstay and pay the 20thb in sadao boarders? the exit go to malaysia and process non b? any case everyone? advice. Im freaking Out?

At the moment? Nobody knows.

No one has mentioned the tightening up at the Thai Consulates world wide. There is only a small number who will give anyone a 12 month non-im O.

3 months max last time I was in KL, and I had a good and paperwork to back it up..sad.png

by the way.. who spends 1K a month on haircuts?

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone here can help me? I would like to ask if you can give me any advices of what to do about my situations. I am ready next week to surrender to Thai immigration office in sadao borders and going to penang.

I am overstaying for 180 days and counting with a long story to tell. My company gave me 20,000฿ for the penalty of overstay and all the documents that i need to apply a NON B VISA again to penang.

Now I want to know and to make sure that Thai Immigration Officer wont drag me to jail when I surrender. Do I need a plane ticket back to my country? Before I go to Thai Immigration Officer? Or I dont need a plane ticket because I will exit to penang Malaysia and apply for a new NON B VISA.

And If I need a plane ticket back to my homeland what do you suggest? phuket airport? or just i. penang? back to my homeland.

FYI: I a. legally working here in thailand I do have a working permit and Visa but suddenly my visa stamp on my passport now is invalid because i dont secure a re entry permit when i travel outside thailand.

Any updates for restrictions in sadao borders? and going to penang?

HELP

thanks please spread..

Indeed! for now i am not working anymore but Im still here staying at the kingdom.But the company processing all the documents that i need to get the non b visa again... is it safe for me to exit at sadao borders? and get a new non b visa at penang?

If im going to the airport how can I process my non b visa? or where? so I have to get a plane ticket as well? and fly out of the country?

Visa application process is the same, just your means of getting to embassy/consulate is different. If you fly from Phuket KL is the most obvious choice.