Another one - 7:57 - 59 - 8:01

Rotweiler

We thought the big tremor this morning about 8am was stronger than the initial one.

Will be interesting to see the Ricter rating. I fear many structures weakened yesterday will be brought down.

We completed damage assessment early this moprning before the 8am shock. Lots of minor surface cracking on one of the houses (new one, still settling anyway) but no structure damage.

Rest of the area - nothing serious to report.

Do you get the feeling that this fault line is not very stable at the moment? Definitely keeps one awake and on their toes!

Certainly get the feeling that the involved tectonic plate is on the move!

The main topic seems to be running in Thailand News. I guess they want to centralize information so people don't get confused. They had more than a dozen threads running in Chiang Mai forum at one point, before they closed them.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/723853-strong-60-magnitude-quake-rattles-northern-thailand-usgs/

Edited by villagefarang

Question for you Chiang Rai posters.... What would you say the time interval is between the aftershocks? Seems like it must be almost continuous up there.

This mornings events: interval hard to gauge - I would say less than 45 seconds between the first 2, then about 2 minutes until the next.

The main topic seems to be running in Thailand News. I guess they want to centralize information so people don't get confused. They had more than a dozen threads running in Chiang Mai forum at one point, before they closed them.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/723853-strong-60-magnitude-quake-rattles-northern-thailand-usgs/

So we sneak some info in under the covers. Seems reasonable that we in CR should be able to discuss the security of our own butts and converse with each other without having to air it to the entire TV readership. For places like BKK, this is an interesting tidbit. For us it is more like that witty saying, "The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed".

Last evening I felt more like the pig than the chicken!
unsure.png

On more than one occasion there have been complaints about us using our forum to "chat" about things of interest to us. At least they haven't closed this thread.

• Like 1

So we sneak some info in under the covers. Seems reasonable that we in CR should be able to discuss the security of our own butts and converse with each other without having to air it to the entire TV readership. For places like BKK, this is an interesting tidbit. For us it is more like that witty saying, "The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed".

Last evening I felt more like the pig than the chicken!
unsure.png

On more than one occasion there have been complaints about us using our forum to "chat" about things of interest to us. At least they haven't closed this thread.

I think as long as it is not a personal dialogue we are OK. But the reason we have a CR Forum is to discuss what is important or interesting to us in CR. So it seems appropriate to me that we be allowed some leeway in discussing the shaky situation here. I think we just have to save the 'juicy' stuff (like damage photos, etc) for the ordained thread.

I am so sad...just saw the news that this is the end of Wat Rong Khun - The White Temple.

Wat Rong Khun have taken to much damage and will not be repaired.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724062-thailand-earthquake-wat-rong-khun-the-white-temple-is-beyond-repair/?utm_source=newsletter-20140506-1502&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I am so sad...just saw the news that this is the end of Wat Rong Khun - The White Temple.

Wat Rong Khun have taken to much damage and will not be repaired.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724062-thailand-earthquake-wat-rong-khun-the-white-temple-is-beyond-repair/?utm_source=newsletter-20140506-1502&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

No reason to be sad. One of the major tenants of Buddhism is impermanence. I always thought that place was a bit high on image and low on message.

• Like 1

I'm curious about what kind of damage the members here sustained? We're due back in Chiang Rai in a few weeks, and we haven't been able to raise the lady who takes care of the house while we're away. I'm guessing that the single malt collection and the lead crystal decanter and glasses are now spread out in pieces across the living room floor.... :(

I'm curious about what kind of damage the members here sustained? We're due back in Chiang Rai in a few weeks, and we haven't been able to raise the lady who takes care of the house while we're away. I'm guessing that the single malt collection and the lead crystal decanter and glasses are now spread out in pieces across the living room floor.... sad.png

Let us know where the keys are and we will make sure that when you get back they are.smile.pngsmile.png

I'm curious about what kind of damage the members here sustained? We're due back in Chiang Rai in a few weeks, and we haven't been able to raise the lady who takes care of the house while we're away. I'm guessing that the single malt collection and the lead crystal decanter and glasses are now spread out in pieces across the living room floor.... sad.png

Nooooo! Not the single malt!

I don't there has been any real damage. The worst I experienced was that my talc powder fell out of the bathroom cabinet. The wall that the cabinet was on also sustained a mild external crack but that is nothing when you remember that this is Thai construction!

But just to be on the safe side, I would suggest that when you get back, you move your entire stock of single malt to a more secure location, and I will be very happy to offer my assistance in that capacity ! whistling.gif

My house is fine. Jumped around a bit At the peak the computer monitor was leaping a couple of inches off the table. Everyihing went back to normal. No interuption to the power or internet, The thing I noticed was the noise. It seems it is not like thunder it happens all through. That is in Nongbua in the city.

Edited by harrry

My house is fine. Jumped around a bit At the peak the computer monitor was leaping a couple of inches off the table. Everyihing went back to normal. No interuption to the power or internet, The thing I noticed was the noise. It seems it is not like thunder it happens all through. That is in Nongbua in the city.

Yup, I always here the rumbling noise just before I feel the shaking. Seems the sound wave travel faster than the seismic waves. But yesterday's quake sounded like a train coming through the property.

We felt the 2300 one here as well.

Drove from WPP to Chiang Rai today. The badly damaged section on Highway 118 is not being repaired - a new hgihway is been cut from the hillside. Lots of equipment working - shouldn't be long.

At the moment, only a minor delay (flagmen over the short one-way stretch).