Thailand earthquake: Wat Rong Khun, the 'White Temple' is beyond repair

webfact

Wat Rong Khun is beyond repair

5-6-2014-1-41-49-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- National artist and constructor of Wat Rong Khun or the White Temple Chalermchai Kositpipat said Tuesday that the temple is now beyond repair and may be left as a monument for the world to remember its past glory.

Ajarn Chalermchai expressed his deep regret for the damage caused by what he called “the nature” after the temple was again struck by two aftershocks following the major 6.3 magnitude quake at 6.08 p.m. Monday night.

He said at first he thought the temple could be repaired back to normal but the two aftershocks brought down his hope as it now was beyond his capability to bring it back to normal.

He said the mural paintings which took him almost his lifetime to create on the wall and ceiling were gone with the collapse of the wall and ceiling.

“It was the masterpiece of the art work that was created and could not be created again as I had devoted to creating it in almost 20 years.”

He said the temple could be rebuilt but it would not be the same as the art work he devoted his life to create could never be made.

He said he was now old enough to spend another 20 years to create.

“Everything is finished and I may leave the temple, a world’s masterpiece, to remain as it is now for the latter generation to remember.”

He said he did not want any government organisation to lend a helping to reconstruct it because he is the sort of a peron who never depends on other’s hands.

He said he did not want any assistance as he did not want interference, or listen to order if he accepted the assistance.

He said he would like to leave the temple as a monument for visitors to remember its glorious past as now it was beyond repair.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/wat-rong-khun-beyond-repair/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-06

• Like 2

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the plethora of same same temples in Thailand this unique one gets ruined by an act of god.

Is someone up there trying to tell us something?

An act of god? Were you snoozing during geology lessons?

I was going to say something more wise-arse-ish due to my atheistic leanings, but this sounds about right - and much more polite tongue.png

• Like 2

I must state as someone who passes it regularly it is not to my taste being the Frosting Ice-cum Schloss Neuschwanstein style of over the top Baroque much loved by tose trying to escape materialism via the slow path,Theravada.

However a real tragedy for the tourist folks and vendors who unlike most of us have no safety net,we often scoff at mnor money disputes but most have little state support,saving pension or future.

I'm sure it will be preserved as a monument to lack of mindfulness of building techniques and the inevitable replacement next door will also tumble in a rumble.

Another Golden Triangle temple was damaged when I had just bare walls lacking 5 ton cap on my pyramid,howver I did have a Chicago Architectural check and an Alaskan qualified building consultant on site

• Like 2

It's his initial reaction whilst probably still in shock.

I am sure that as the weight of public and government support builds, he will make a dramatic re-consideration and restore it to its former glory.

When you work as hard as that guy did to build something, you won't give up on it so easy no matter how hard the task.

Sounds more like the murals have been destroyed. The buildings could be repaired, but 20 yrs of art work gone.

Beautiful. The delicate structural work alone, I think, deserves being kept up. Probably there are ways to do it. Inject concrete, create an auxiliary inner structure. It can all be done. Will require "some" money. Here's an object for some of the filthy rich of that particular area to redeem themselves