Thailand earthquake: Wat Rong Khun, the 'White Temple' is beyond repair

webfact

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the plethora of same same temples in Thailand this unique one gets ruined by an act of god.

Is someone up there trying to tell us something?

An act of god? Were you snoozing during geology lessons?

Very good! I was talking from an insurance perspective. thumbsup.gif

With the plethora of same same temples in Thailand this unique one gets ruined by an act of god.

Depends if you believe in God.

You mean there aren't any gods and they were all made up by clever chaps working the long con?

Oh well, I guess you can't trust anyone any more. sad.png

The guy is known for exaggerating. Let's see a picture of the "beyond repair" temple...

Indeed, the guy is exaggerating. Cry baby now, so more Thai and foreign tourist will visit his so called white temple. More, more and more donations for his ego.

The damage as seen on Thai television is bad, but to say it can not be repaired that is not true.

He will do a 180 degrees rethinking and receive many donations from the visitors.

And...it just a stop on the tourist map, because it is a nice place, but it is not of any real historic value. Just worth a photostop for 15-30 minutes, that's it.

• Like 1

Just build a copy of it somewhere not so near the fault lines. Thais are good at it.

Yes, maybe some more egocentric rich Thais will do this, in a few years time we will have 5 or so of white temples around Thailand.... and nobody anymore to visit those places. 555

It was a magnificent temple, at least I got to see it before it got damaged. Took lots of photo (even the toilet) but it was a waste taking photos in the temple was forbidden, the wall and celling was really an art.

"Masterpiece"? "Past Glory"...........the place has only been completed these past ten years, Masterpiece, that depends on your opinion of art.....but "Past Glory".....sorry, the whole place is what in Europe would be called "A Folly"......something a bit odd put up by someone who wants to be remembered but doesnt necesssarily have real artistic temperament.

Van Gogh, Leonardo, Monet, etc etc, it sure isnt !

For me it has about the same value as that mini re creation of Angkor Wat at the hot spring on the way to Chiang Rai !

Disneyland Chiang Rai.

• Like 2

I was lucky to have made a trip to see it about 1 year back.

Sceptical from what I have seen in many other Temples I followed my wife's advice. A true work of art and a labor of love.

The artist/owner/builder will leave it to the State eventually.

If Thais really value anything at all except their everyday ordinary faces they will be able to restore it.

First, there is a great team of artists/artisans in place. Second, there are detailed photographs of the place and artwork as it progressed.

I can understand the frustration of the builder, but restoration is relatively easy and definitely possible.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The inside paintings are not a big miss is my opinion.

The paintings in Doi Saket temple from the same artist are much nicer.

I hope the temple will be restored and this time decorated with more Buddhist like paintings.

Accepting your point, but thats the beauty of art. It will not be to everyones taste. Certainly the work is controversial, reminds me of Gaudi.

Edited by delh

I have a problem when I must pay to enter a temple or when the area around the temple looks like a street market. This temple was the furthest, I have seen, from what Buddist temple is supposed to be about. During 3 visits there (with family that wanted to see it) I never saw a monk, never heard prayers, only money and glitter.

• Like 1

An act if god on a Buddhist temple. Methinks thy oranges and apples doth need separation, verily.

An act if god on a Buddhist temple. Methinks thy oranges and apples doth need separation, verily.

Methinks some posters struggle without emoticons so here you are. smile.pngbiggrin.pngtongue.pnglaugh.pngthumbsup.gif

Edited by bigbamboo

An act of god? Were you snoozing during geology lessons?

Earthquakes are a part of the natural order, and hence an Act of God. ie: NOT man made destruction.

• Like 1

Although I liked it as an OBJECT it never felt like a temple to me. It was hardly ever used as such. Just a huge art work. There was no abbot eventhough there were some monks nearby. Maybe he should just donate it to the people who in turn can donate it to the Sangha. According to ancient Buddhist wisdom: if the people want it, it will remain. If not, like all things it will eventually crumble and fall. The course of things is Annicca, impermanence.

• Like 2

I visited many years ago, met the artist and spoke with him.

It was a place of deep wonder and not a tourist trap.

I will not compare it to any other work of art as that is foolish and subjective.

It left me with something and I agree with impermanence!

Glad to have seen it in its partial glory, an incomplete work and I suspect that is how its creator feels it always was.

• Like 1

Krama perhaps, for taking too much donation from poor Thai to build a white elephant.

Worst of all, it happen on such an auspicious day.

Double Krama.

• Like 2

I'm glad I went to see it just because it was so weird. My first thought was that the builder was doing way too many drugs.

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I visited many years ago, met the artist and spoke with him.

It was a place of deep wonder and not a tourist trap.

I will not compare it to any other work of art as that is foolish and subjective.

It left me with something and I agree with impermanence!

Glad to have seen it in its partial glory, an incomplete work and I suspect that is how its creator feels it always was.

[it reminded me of Rothko, http://www.rothkochapel.org/index.php?option=com_content&id=3&Itemid=31

Oh well!

Research if you want./quote]