Thai actress to file charges against an American author over 'hooker' book

webfact

Thai Celeb To File Charges Over 'Hooker' Book
By Khaosod English

13993792531399379280l.jpg

A Thai actress has pledged to file criminal charges against an American author who put her face on a book about Thailand's sex industry, allegedly without her consent.

BANGKOK — A Thai actress has pledged to file criminal charges against an American author who put her face on a book about Thailand's sex industry, allegedly without her consent.

Usanee "Nok" Wattatana, who stars in many soap operas on the state-owned Channel 7, said she was deeply offended when she discovered a book on Amazon titled, "Thai Hookers 101 - What You MUST Know About SEX And Prostitutes Before Coming To Thailand," featuring her photo on its cover.

According to Ms. Usanee, the photo was from a set of fashion shoots she did for Mixx magazine several years ago, and she believes the author of the book must have found the photo in a Google search. Ms. Usanee said she was never contacted by the writer concerning his use of the photo.

The author identified himself on his Amazon profile as an American citizen called "Seven" who has been living on Thailand's Koh Samui Island since 2008.

"I am afraid that people who don't know me will misunderstand me," Ms. Usanee told reporters today. "Thais know well that I am not that type of woman, but foreigners on my Instagram may see the photo and wonder whether I am a prostitute."

Ms. Usanee said she bought the book out of curiosity, and that she is even more angry about the writer's attitude towards Thai women .

"I am not particularly angry by the photo on the cover, because this is not the first time my photo has been abused for commercial purpose. What angers me a lot is the text on the cover and the contents of the book which greatly insult Thai women," the celebrity said.

"Some sentences simply say, 'You don't need to look good or have a lot of money, but you can still find Thai women to sleep with you'" said Ms. Usanee.

She added that her legal representatives will meet with police on 8 May to pursue criminal charges against "Seven" under the Computer Crimes Act, which forbids the dissemination of false information on the internet. The charge carries both fines and prison terms.

"The senior executives told me they will try to persuade the police to pursue this matter in the harshest way possible," Ms. Usanee said.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1399379253&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-07

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd that he would be so dimwitted to use a non authorized photo or not have a release. He could very easily have had a photo taken of virtually any Thai girl for a release and use contract and offer some small payment.

Seems she is unaware how easy it is for a foreigner to sex a thai girl regardless of looks or wealth. Maybe she should walk the beaches in pattaya at night and see what happens. Or go to the clubs where foreigners go to party. A thousand baht and a couple drinks is all a woman needs to br motivated to sex you. Seriously doubt she could win a criminal case for giving false info online but i have not read the book to know for sure. She should ask for her royalties for her pic and be happy.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thai celeb, actress Usanee "Nok" Wattatana is also described as "beauty model" with sexy pictures in FHM magazine. Lots of bikini and 'red carpet' pictures.

Of course she means it when she says "What angers me a lot is the text on the cover and the contents of the book which greatly insult Thai women"

BTW I have nothing against 32 year old Soap stars, but they're hardly in the group of people I'd really like to meet.

If the author of the book has indeed used the photo without permission I hope the court throws the book at him.

I think what shock she must got when she first saw her picture on the hooker book....

It would be more helpful if the article told us how much Ms. Usanee charges.

For using her photo without her consent? Much I guess.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Odd that he would be so dimwitted to use a non authorized photo or not have a release. He could very easily have had a photo taken of virtually any Thai girl for a release and use contract and offer some small payment.

'persuade police to prosecute in the harshest terms' [sic]

Wouldn't bother luv. I have a very beautiful Thai friend (an architect) who tried to sue for her pic being used without her permission. Got nowhere.

This guy Seven has just received an enormous amount of free publicity for his books. Now, with his picture on the internet and being a resident of Samui, I imagine he will have to increase his security.

She may be a bimbo, but using her picture on such a book without permission is truly outrageous.

• Like 2