Thai actress to file charges against an American author over 'hooker' book

webfact

Looks like the offending image is covered over? http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Hookers-101-Prostitutes-Thailand/dp/1481852795

The ebook version has a different cover model: http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Hookers-101-Prostitutes-Thailand-ebook/dp/B009AML8PA

No shortage of similar publications, "How to Get the Most Bang for Your Buck in Thailand". And gazillions of web-sites, blogs and Youtube videos dedicated to similar "learning opportunities".

Just waiting for "Thai Hookers 102: Marrying and Living with the Girl of your Dreams".

Followed by How to Survive your Thai P6 Wife for all of you living in Udon Thani.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he does not run, then this is what will happen.

She will sue

Maximum of 200,000 and 2 years in jail is the fine for this crime.

He will more than likely avoid jail time.

She will not need to show any financial damages in order to collect some money, maybe 50,000 - 100,000 baht.

Unlikely to go all of the way to the 200,000. Up to the judge.

I have been through this with a nobody, an author's wife who sued him and us, the publisher for his book in which he used her photo ( married to her at the time of the photo and the printing).

She told the judge that she was not financially harmed, no one saw her on the street and pointed at her, she did not have to move or leave her job, and the list goes on and on of how this book did absolutely nothing to her. The judge, even though he said under his breath "this is a nonsense case" still followed the law, and gave her a small award and also gave us an the author a small fine.

This woman will win in court.

She will win 50,000++

It is a criminal case pursued by the public prosecutor, not only a civil case.

She will not need to use any money for a lawyer, although she can try to make it civil as well, and get a lot more. This is what the wife of our author did. She failed in that attempt.

Anyone out there who thinks the police will not pursue this and that the court will not hear the case and side with the lady are mistaken.

He is a bum. She is a known actress. He broke the law. Very simple.

The police and prosecutor will relish in this opportunity.

Once she files with the police, he will be sent a letter to come into Bkk, and if he does not show after three letters, ( maybe less for this case - up to the police) he will be apprehended. His passport will be held as well. He will need to come into the public prosecutor's office to sign on a list that shows he is still here every month until the court case. He will appear in court and state his side, and if he is smart, he will apologize for everything and ask for leniency.

The civil side is something different. The judge can make separate civil and criminal fines.

When a nobody can get something, this actress of note will certainly get something and something sizable.

This writer is in for about six months of headaches, worry and expenses.

He cannot find any legitimate way to say the photo was free to use from where ever he got it from.

The court will not be interested in anything written on any site in any other country.

He used the photos of a Thai actress on a book about Thailand and he is living here.

Whether it was the author or the publisher, if done without her permission, they should pay damages.

Not correct if she signed a release and took the money.

edit: he will still have headaches if he is in LOS.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by stevecm

If he does not run, then this is what will happen.

She will sue

Maximum of 200,000 and 2 years in jail is the fine for this crime.

He will more than likely avoid jail time.

She will not need to show any financial damages in order to collect some money, maybe 50,000 - 100,000 baht.

Unlikely to go all of the way to the 200,000. Up to the judge.

I have been through this with a nobody, an author's wife who sued him and us, the publisher for his book in which he used her photo ( married to her at the time of the photo and the printing).

She told the judge that she was not financially harmed, no one saw her on the street and pointed at her, she did not have to move or leave her job, and the list goes on and on of how this book did absolutely nothing to her. The judge, even though he said under his breath "this is a nonsense case" still followed the law, and gave her a small award and also gave us an the author a small fine.

This woman will win in court.

She will win 50,000++

It is a criminal case pursued by the public prosecutor, not only a civil case.

She will not need to use any money for a lawyer, although she can try to make it civil as well, and get a lot more. This is what the wife of our author did. She failed in that attempt.

Anyone out there who thinks the police will not pursue this and that the court will not hear the case and side with the lady are mistaken.

He is a bum. She is a known actress. He broke the law. Very simple.

The police and prosecutor will relish in this opportunity.

Once she files with the police, he will be sent a letter to come into Bkk, and if he does not show after three letters, ( maybe less for this case - up to the police) he will be apprehended. His passport will be held as well. He will need to come into the public prosecutor's office to sign on a list that shows he is still here every month until the court case. He will appear in court and state his side, and if he is smart, he will apologize for everything and ask for leniency.

The civil side is something different. The judge can make separate civil and criminal fines.

When a nobody can get something, this actress of note will certainly get something and something sizable.

This writer is in for about six months of headaches, worry and expenses.

He cannot find any legitimate way to say the photo was free to use from where ever he got it from.

The court will not be interested in anything written on any site in any other country.

He used the photos of a Thai actress on a book about Thailand and he is living here.

How many passports have been issued to a guy named "Kings of Thailand". None I'm thinking. It basically depends on how forthcoming the distributors are (the author used CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform to publish the book anonymously). Amazon's already has gotten a clue that this is a hot-potato. They've covered up the picture on the book's main page although they haven't on the "Look Inside page". I'm assuming they'd rather not get sued, so agruable they have made a 'best effort' and I'm sure they have deeper pockets than Ms. Nok.

This will make an interesting court case. Self-published book. Anonymous author. Anonymous publisher. The distributor would be next in line, unless it is self-distributed, anonymously. Who can you sue? The retail seller? The author/publisher's name's has to pop up somewhere. If it does, and if the author's in Thailand, I'd suggest staying away from open roads and motorcyclists wearing helmets with dark full-face shields.

And using "Kings of Thailand" on a book about prostitution in the LOS. Isn't that pushing Lese Majeste laws just a little?

Edited by connda

Seems she is unaware how easy it is for a foreigner to sex a thai girl regardless of looks or wealth. Maybe she should walk the beaches in pattaya at night and see what happens. Or go to the clubs where foreigners go to party. A thousand baht and a couple drinks is all a woman needs to br motivated to sex you. Seriously doubt she could win a criminal case for giving false info online but i have not read the book to know for sure. She should ask for her royalties for her pic and be happy.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Change "A thousand baht" to "A gram of coke" and you're talking New York City, Los Angles, and just about any other metropolitan area in the US. Change "A thousand baht" to "A hundred Euros" and you're talking about half the EU. You think this is confined to Thailand? If so, ya'll need to get out more often. At least in most of Thailand (and probably the EU too) it's about economics, as opposed to the US where it's just about abject hedonism.

The "author" is an idiot, he should have hired a "model" and gotten a signed release for the photo. I do find it funny that the sentence she cited as offensive stated,,," you don't have to look good or have a lot of money" the implication being that this is false (about her). pretty funny.

As she notes, "According to Ms. Usanee, the photo was from a set of fashion shoots she did for Mixx magazine several years ago."

It is unlikely that she holds the copyright to the photo and he would not have to ask her for permission to use it. It is possible (though unlikely) that he got permission from the copyright holder to use the image. If the copyright holder had a very broad release, which is quite possible, she is probably out of luck. My bet is that he didn't do his homework and used the photo without a release.

David

You've got a point. Who holds the copyright? But I'm sure whoever holds it will jump into the fray if they smell money.