World Cup V Thai Tv

djc45

are you happy ............. i am not

Well I think we should have a vote on how well the Thai’s have done so far at showing the world cup it seems as if they just don’t want us to enjoy the world cup

I can understand that English is not the native tongue but we do spend loads of money here and I doubt that U.B.C would survive if it was not for the farang subscription in Thailand

The England game was ½ hour into the game before it was on the TV and tonight the Australian game is still not on at half time

They could have given us the chance to have the games on a pay per view if just to see them on time and to have had the option of English commentary

what do you think?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you happy ............. i am not

Well I think we should have a vote on how well the Thai’s have done so far at showing the world cup it seems as if they just don’t want us to enjoy the world cup

I can understand that English is not the native tongue but we do spend loads of money here and I doubt that U.B.C would survive if it was not for the farang subscription in Thailand

The England game was ½ hour into the game before it was on the TV and tonight the Australian game is still not on at half time

They could have given us the chance to have the games on a pay per view if just to see them on time and to have had the option of English commentary

what do you think?

It is a joke at this stage! I dont mind paying extra to watch the games with English commentary but it isnt even an option. And i cant even watch the Aussie game cause it aint on TV!

Plus, they dont have the score on screen all the time with time remaining which is also a pain!

I can live with the Thai language but just show me the games - please!!!

I think its pointless whinging to be honest, yes i'd like to watch it in english so to do so i'll go to a bar that has satallite facilities.

Just because I pay UBC 2200bht per month I don't expect them to show it in English, they did'nt buy the rights for it. Same in the UK! You'd have to pay to watch it on Sky Sports.

At the end of the day its on the thai channels and its available for us to watch, would it be screened in another language in our home countries for foreigners to watch?

:o

Edited by davethailand

i dont think it will be much different after tuesday.

what is missing (apart from the first half an hour of the game itself ) is any sense of occasion , and for this we have to thank the thai presenters who just dont have the ability to project any sense of excitement or anticipation that most of us who have our teams represented have , very few commentators have the ability to bring the pitchside atmosphere into the living room , opinions vary , but i think andy grey and john motson are the masters of that art.

even listening to that brazilian commentator who shouts "goal" a lot , i cant understand the language , but the excitement is infectious and the game is brought alive.

a build up of at least 20 minutes is essential before any game , to discuss the team selection and to help polarise the audience , and to suddenly switch to the game midway through the first half is like miising the first 30 minutes of a big film.

unless you are watching in a public place such as a bar or cinema , with a crowd present , then watching the thai presentation at home is always going to be a dull affair , a very dull affair.

it would have been a nice gesture by the rights holder to offer an english commentary to the many thousands of tourists and foreign residents here for a competition of this importance .

but there is no english commentary for most of us here , and very little accurate programming information , so we will just have to make do.

I think its pointless whinging to be honest, yes i'd like to watch it in english so to do so i'll go to a bar that has satallite facilities.

Just because I pay UBC 2200bht per month I don't expect them to show it in English, they did'nt buy the rights for it. Same in the UK! You'd have to pay to watch it on Sky Sports.

At the end of the day its on the thai channels and its available for us to watch, would it be screened in another language in our home countries for foreigners to watch?

:o

the world cup is once every 4 years......... english is the international language i pay to ubc but i dont live near a bar i am out in the country and i would like to have had the chance to PAY FOR it

would ubc be in thailand if not for the farang?

i dont think it will be much different after tuesday.

what is missing (apart from the first half an hour of the game itself ) is any sense of occasion , and for this we have to thank the thai presenters who just dont have the ability to project any sense of excitement or anticipation that most of us who have our teams represented have , very few commentators have the ability to bring the pitchside atmosphere into the living room , opinions vary , but i think andy grey and john motson are the masters of that art.

even listening to that brazilian commentator who shouts "goal" a lot , i cant understand the language , but the excitement is infectious and the game is brought alive.

a build up of at least 20 minutes is essential before any game , to discuss the team selection and to help polarise the audience , and to suddenly switch to the game midway through the first half is like miising the first 30 minutes of a big film.

unless you are watching in a public place such as a bar or cinema , with a crowd present , then watching the thai presentation at home is always going to be a dull affair , a very dull affair.

it would have been a nice gesture by the rights holder to offer an english commentary to the many thousands of tourists and foreign residents here for a competition of this importance .

but there is no english commentary for most of us here , and very little accurate programming information , so we will just have to make do.

I agree with you

Also there was not this problem when the European championships were on they were in English and far better coverage than this world cup

It will not look good for people who whish to tour Thailand when a major world sports event is on

Dhospak 02-670 2525

Wonder if enough people ring them and ask whether somthing might happen.

They are selling english sound track to hotels a I believe B250,000 a pop.

They were on holiday today.

I'd be prepared to pay quite a bit to have English commentry at home.

Cheers

Just so nobody misses my other post.

I'd like to think a few people might call Dhospak and hassle them a bit.

You live in hope :o

i believe dhospak (chang beer) made it part of the contract when selling the rights to show the games that only chang beer could be sold at the outlets showing the games , correct me if i am wrong.

they have received their monies from the pubs , hotels and bars and whilst i wish you luck with your phone calls , i believe it would be easier to shit through the eye of a needle than get them to alter their policy.

prove me wrong and make me happy !!

It was widely advertised that Thai TV were showing every second of every game. That lasted for the first day. But of course you must remember the three little letters. TiT. I think last night was a bit over the top though. A very interesting programme that lasted well into the match. Then what. A repeat of the highlights of the whole days proceedings. I am still in the belief that FIFA boobed in scheduling the matches at the same time but also I think the Thai's should have coped with the problem a little better. It all boils down to the fact that the average Thai persons inability to think, and cope with a change of plan.

I have also been dissapointed with Thai tv's build up to the game. The build up involves 2 presenters looking into the camera. One talks and the other one says 'khrap.' Then they reverse roles. :o

I've still to see any team line-ups or tactical formations being discussed by the Thai pundits.

I watched the Ozzie game last night with English Commentary on Sophon Cable Channel Nine (normally Real Madrid TV) so I shouldn'tcomplain. But the English game the other night was a fiasco.

But I do think the whole set up has been abysmal. I have the gretest respect for HM but every Thai channel showing reruns of royal news does seem a bit of overkill. Couldn't one of them show the football..........freedom of choice and all that ! !

Nah TiT

I watched the Ozzie game last night with English Commentary on Sophon Cable Channel Nine (normally Real Madrid TV) so I shouldn'tcomplain. But the English game the other night was a fiasco.

But I do think the whole set up has been abysmal. I have the gretest respect for HM but every Thai channel showing reruns of royal news does seem a bit of overkill. Couldn't one of them show the football..........freedom of choice and all that ! !

Nah TiT

I think that one thing everyone has to remember that not everyone in Thailand has a choice of channels - by showing a momentous occasion like this on all channels ensure that all Thai people with access to a TV can see the proceedings.

I love football, but you have to accept that you have World CUps every 4 years - Diamond Jubilees happen once a lifetime if you are lucky!

Thankfully I have Supersport 3 piped into my place by the local cable company who foresaw such a problem both with language, poor presentation, and the fact that the government had decreed that until all celebrations were over for the day blanket coverage of celebrations would continue. Thank God the boss of the cable company is a true football fan, albeit an Aston Villa fan, who lived in Brum for 8 years so really understands the football thing.

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say that it was Thaksin having another indirect pop at Westerners. They could have at least cut away one of the channels for the football.

There was absolutely no need for showing people getting in cars and driving off, on all channels whatsoever, no matter what the occasion, but what TV channel boss is going to risk his job and possibly worse, for the sake of 30-45 minutes of football?

On a more serious note, I wonder how many Poms, Dutch, Japs, Aussies, Germans and other people from footballing nations will stick around or plan holidays in Thailand for the next WC? I foresee that during South Africa 2010 Thailand is going to be something of a tourism graveyard.

The fact that I had 13 people (all Thai - they started knocking 5 minutes into the game and kept arriving throughout the first half) in my place last night shows that even the Thais were non too impressed and just how far out of touch people who make these decisions truly are.

the royal celebrations though are much better planned.

they come with english commentary.

it wouldnt cost beer chang a fortune to make thousands of people happy.

I'm sure that hardly anybody of us will be drinking chang anymore.

If I were a conspiracy theorist I would say that it was Thaksin having another indirect pop at Westerners. They could have at least cut away one of the channels for the football.

I had no internet connection last night (TOT - ADSL) until almost to the second the Aussie game came on to the TV. Hmmm...

I have just got back from Chiangmai, so i havenet been on the forum to add my piece.I sat down with beer in hand to watch the England game and what do i get? Anyway i'm Scottish and i was pissed off. I can imagine what the English lads were saying. As for the Ozzie game last night. ######ing rediculous. Organise, pissup and brewery spring to mind. Very very annoying. Much the same as my topic regarding the build up to the opening game. No idea!!

Thankfully I have Supersport 3 piped into my place by the local cable company who foresaw such a problem both with language, poor presentation, and...

But is it legal? I bet even UBC could show it on ESPN with Andy Gray, on time, if they legally could.

I have to agree with the general sentiment that the presentation has been poor with a lack of passion and the blocking of broadcasts to show a repeat of the news is overkill.

I don't buy the argument that this is being done because some Thais don't have access to every channel, that just does not make sense. Surely someone somewhere at Thai TV realised that they could not realistically show the 8pm games live during the festivities, why didn't they just be honest about it?