World Cup V Thai Tv

djc45

Guest endure
No, because their langauges are insignificant and English is THE world tongue afterall :o

On the contrary, there are more native speakers of Hindi (370M) in the world than of English (322M) and only slightly less when including 2nd language speakers (495M Hindi v 510M English).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here we go again ...8PM, Spain vs. Ukraine and they're showing a repeat of yesterday's events. why not show them before 8pm? but no...exactly at 8pm.

So does anyone know when we are going to return to normal programming? Is England's next match going to be shown? I might play it safe and find a pub with foreign satellite, any recommendations for pubs that will be showing it in Bangkok?

Thanks

Personally I'm not taking any chances for the England game tonight. Althought the Bangkok Post advertises the game on Thai TV, I just can't believe them, so to be sure I'll be heading out to a bar with the South African satellite. I would have watched it at home with Thai commmentary, but they just can't be trusted to show it. Don' think I'll be in Thailand for the next one either.

Has anyone actually had the English commentary on Thai TV in the hotels?

I still have not seen a reasonable explanation as to why they will not allow the English commentary

English is Thailand’s second language as it is taught in the schools for all ages

Chang beer has involvement with the English premiership

For those few who have posted a defence for the Thais seem to take the view that we expect too much to have a decent coverage of the worlds no 1 event in football

Yes it is a wonderful thing for the King (they had english commentary for that) but I believe that even he would not have wanted the TV to ban English commentary

For those who say we should just accept what we get is f****ing bull shit with to-days technology many alternatives could have been allowed i.e a radio station could have been allowed to broadcast live commentary in english in real time

The sun is the only English commentary broadcast I have found but it has been out of sink with the TV

If anyone knows who to e-mail complaints to could they post them and if we all bombarded them with complaints we might just get them to alter their ban and let us enjoy the rest of the competition

If they don’t people will think of staying away from Thailand when big international occasions are on and that cannot be good for Thailand or its people

I think that you'll find that far more people speak Isaan than English in Thailan.

By the way, what's your first language? As judging by your grammar and spelling I suspect it's not English :o

So you think you’re an authority on English spelling and grammar.

I await your corrections being posted for all to see

Reading your post’s dick and head come to mind

By the way where is Thailan?

You havn't even noticed the obvious.

" More people in Thailand speak Isaan than English'

Wrong.......why? Because there is not an Isaan language.

The Isaan population speak Khymer in the South, Lao in the and North/East and Suuay in the middle. There is no Isaan language.

In the North East of Issan they speak a corrupted form Laos - a few provinces speak pure laos (Loei, Petchabun, Khon Kaen).

Anyway my point was that more people speak the corrupted Laos than speak English in ThailanD.

I say, steady on chaps...!! :o

I totaly agree, a think a lot less flameing, argueing and pointless nitpicking is needed here or i will close this thread and deal with all offending parties with suspensions.

Does everyone agree?

Regards

Wolfie

I totaly agree, a think a lot less flameing, argueing and pointless nitpicking is needed here or i will close this thread and deal with all offending parties with suspensions.

Does everyone agree?

Regards

Wolfie

EERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Wolfie. The sub-title of the thread is " Are you happy?"

How can you suspend people for answering the question. In that case you might as well close it anyway.

Just cause Wales didn't qualify :D

Sorry but i fail to see where nitpicking and b1tching at each other over who's more gramatically correct, which is the most widely spoken language in Issan and calling each other dick heads has anything to do with Thai TV and/or the world cup.

Keep it on topic gentlemen and keep it civil

Thanks!

Sorry but i fail to see where nitpicking and b1tching at each other over who's more gramatically correct, which is the most widely spoken language in Issan and calling each other dick heads has anything to do with Thai TV and/or the world cup.

Thanks!

Sorry...........................point taken. I thought you were on about the general unhapiness generated.

I might play it safe and find a pub with foreign satellite, any recommendations for pubs that will be showing it in Bangkok?

Thanks

I know that The Big Mango Bar in Nana Entertainment Plaza has just installed the requisite satellite dish/gear to show the games live, including the games that begin at 8 PM. with English commentary. The England vs. Trinidad game starts at 11 PM.

Edited by lomatopo

Does everyone agree?

Regards

Wolfie

Wolfie

I agree,

But I hope that posts like the one The Dan Sai Kid posted that referred to the grammar and the English language ECT should be defended when they are a direct insult

The topic has nothing to do with anything he says in his post

It’s about the world cup on TV and asks if people are happy with the TV coverage and I find it hard to understand why people whish to post comments that have nothing to do with the topic

I do apologise for including the words dick and head in my reply post to The Dan Sai Kid

If anyone wants a forum on the English language and English grammar may I suggest that they start a topic under that heading and not in the sports section please.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Offtopic: Thaivisa should have a separate "Rants" forum since us expats like nothing more than ranting.

On topic: Does anyone know whether the games are shown the next day in the morning? I have been staying up from 2 - 4 the whole last week and it's beginning to affect my health and work life. I look like a zombie (the village here wakes up at 7 whether you like it or not).

So I would like to maybe sleep at night and then get up in the morning and watch the game, carefully avoiding web sites and newspapers until I have seen it.

I am sad to report that I don't have any issues with the Thai commentary or with the fact that Thailand is a Thai-speaking country. Granted, I don't speak Thai so if the commentary is bad I wouldn't know. All the better though :o