Immigration clarifies Phuket visa run 'crackdown'

webfact

Immigration clarifies Phuket visa run 'crackdown'
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1399522581_1-org.jpg
Myanmar is happy to receive tourists paying for in-out visas at its Kauwthaung checkpoint opposite Ranong. The reception in Ranong may not be so welcoming if Immigration suspect you're not just a tourist.

PHUKET: -- Immigration officers in Ranong and Phuket have clarified the current situation on visa hops that has caused so much concern recently.

What emerges is not a “crackdown” as such, but a more stringent application of existing rules being applied at all border posts in the country.

The Superintendent of Ranong Immigration, Pol Col Ekkor Butsababodin explained to The Phuket News that the tightening of the rules comes in response to the growing number of crimes committed by foreigners in Thailand, and the number of tourists who are thought to be working illegally,

Tourists on visa runs are now being required to provide checkable details of where they are staying, with address and contact numbers. They will also be asked what they will be doing while in Thailand.

Col Ekkor explained, “Immigration officers have found that a lot of tourists staying in Phuket, Krabi, Samui and other tourism places don’t tell the truth. Their information cannot be confirmed by our sources.

“There have been crimes committed by tourists. We also have to accept that some look for ways to work illegally in Thailand. We are fully computerised now with internet connections, so we can check very fast.

“Tourists may renew 30-day or 15-day visas three times. We will check their details every time they come to Immigration.”

One crucial detail Immigration is looking for is evidence that tourists are staying in the places they claim to be staying in.

If Immigration cannot confirm, for three visa runs in a row, where a tourist is staying, then the tourist will get just seven days’ stay and will be told they have to leave Thailand at the end of that time and come back only when they have a new visa from a Thai consulate in another country, stamped in their passport.

In cases where tourists’ accommodation can be confirmed every time they do a visa run, Immigration officials will allow them back in, but after three extensions may not be keen to give them further extension without good cause.

Immigration officers may also ask for proof that tourists have enough money to support themselves for the proposed stay in Thailand before stamping them back in for 15 or 30 days.

It is important to understand that Immigration officials have wide discretionary powers. If, for example, a visa-run tourist can show that he or she is staying in a certain place and has enough money, then a fourth or fifth extension may well be granted.

But if a tourist’s “record” is deficient, or the tourist gives any other sign that he or she is not a genuine, happy-go-lucky tourist, then an attempt at a fourth visa extension is unlikely to be successful.

“To be honest, if they want to work or do business in Thailand [or stay long-term], then they should do it properly [with a non-immigrant visa].

One major aim of tightening the rules is to limit the number of people who arrive as tourists but are in fact planning to commit crimes – skimmers and ATM robbers are recent examples.

The Superintendent of Phuket Immigration, Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, commented, “Phuket is a tourist destination. So it is a good thing for us to be more careful about who we allow to stay on the island.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/immigration-clarifies-phuket-visa-run-%E2%80%98crackdown%E2%80%99-46155.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-08

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the twenty first century. Many people are now making their living on the internet, making their money from other countries and living in Thailand spending their money. These people have no legal means of living in Thailand. Even if they are on a non immigrant O visa, they are still breaking the law, because they don't have a work permit. Thailand should welcome these people. They are not taking jobs from Thais. Most of them make a lot of money and thus spend a lot of money in Thailand helping the economy. Quite a few live in rural areas where their contribution to the economy is well appreciated. Thailand should change their immigration procedures welcoming these people. They should issue work permits for working on the internet and issue non immigrant B visas for this purpose. If the individuals can show proof that they have brought an appropriate amount of money into the country they should get an extension of stay visa. Thailand should also offer an extension of stay visa for the purpose of retirement to any age level if they meet the financial requirements. Many people are inheriting large sums of money from their parents and are retiring early. These people want to live in warm country and many choose Thailand, but have no way of getting a legal visa.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If they meet the financial and other requirements such as over 50, and have the necessary funds in the bank here, in their own name (not the name of their spouse or other), they can apply (outside the country) for a Non-Immigrant Type O visa for retirement.

The financial requirements differ if you are married to a Thai or not (supporting a Thai wife/husband reduces the financial burden as you are seen as contributing to the welfare of a local).

The type O must be extended yearly through Immigration from within the country, or you go get a new one overseas, but the extension is better.

The initial Type O is not deemed to be of any particular sub-category until the first extension, then it becomes "retirement" or "marriage" etc.

• Like 2

I thought the 'crackdown' we the Immigration boys (and girls) checking people's visas and passports randomly in Phuket.

I think this law has been in operation for a while. When we came back from Battambang last month the Immigration were giving a lot of border runners some real hassle. Held the queue up for hours in the heat.

Why don't people go back to the good old monthly Penang visa run?

This is the twenty first century. Many people are now making their living on the internet, making their money from other countries and living in Thailand spending their money. These people have no legal means of living in Thailand. Even if they are on a non immigrant O visa, they are still breaking the law, because they don't have a work permit. Thailand should welcome these people. They are not taking jobs from Thais. Most of them make a lot of money and thus spend a lot of money in Thailand helping the economy. Quite a few live in rural areas where their contribution to the economy is well appreciated. Thailand should change their immigration procedures welcoming these people. They should issue work permits for working on the internet and issue non immigrant B visas for this purpose. If the individuals can show proof that they have brought an appropriate amount of money into the country they should get an extension of stay visa. Thailand should also offer an extension of stay visa for the purpose of retirement to any age level if they meet the financial requirements. Many people are inheriting large sums of money from their parents and are retiring early. These people want to live in warm country and many choose Thailand, but have no way of getting a legal visa.

You are right George an each and every one of them could and SHOULD open a company and get a visa linked to that company.

Else you are breaking the Law. You are guest - act like one.

G

PS I did not see your response to a post before responding - I don't see why you can not open a Thai company and link your business to it and get a Visa. I have a friend that has just moved here for 12 months (maybe longer) and has don just that.

G

Edited by fredbasset
  • Like 1

ok so i'll cary a print-screen of my savings account with me ... show it to immigration officer when interrogation starts ... listen to yet another litany about how poor thai people are and how rich farang are and how unfair life is ... been there done that. saai.gif

And I think they also forget to pay income tax in Thailand.

Because it is not possible, you need a work permit to pay income tax but if you work online its not possible to get a work permit and work legally with your online business in Thailand.

I would love to register my company and work from Thailand and pay income tax here but due to the nature of my business being a one man online company I can not work from Thailand.

I asked here and looked into the different options but there is no way I could work from here and pay Thai taxes. I would love paying taxes here and get a yearly visa, I pump money into the local economy but working here running a online company is not legally possible.

Sure you can open a company, but you have to meet the criteria for that, so e.g. employ Thai staff.

Because it is not possible, you need a work permit to pay income tax but if you work online its not possible to get a work permit and work legally with your online business in Thailand.

I would love to register my company and work from Thailand and pay income tax here but due to the nature of my business being a one man online company I can not work from Thailand.

I asked here and looked into the different options but there is no way I could work from here and pay Thai taxes. I would love paying taxes here and get a yearly visa, I pump money into the local economy but working here running a online company is not legally possible.

Sure you can open a company, but you have to meet the criteria for that, so e.g. employ Thai staff.

So your a one man show making a good living online and you are saying to fund a company 2 Million baht then employ 4 thais in order to get legal

I don't think you are going to get any takers

For someone who is a one man show there is no option and your suggestion shows that, thosusands make a living online and dont need to employ anyone just e able to work legally online with a reasonable option

So your a one man show making a good living online and you are saying to fund a company 2 Million baht then employ 4 thais in order to get legal

I don't think you are going to get any takers

For someone who is a one man show there is no option and your suggestion shows that, thosusands make a living online and dont need to employ anyone just e able to work legally online with a reasonable option

To be able to work legally in Thailand, also online, they do need to open a company. You may not agree with that law, but that is the way it is. If people don't accept that, their choice, but a claim 'not possible' is simply not true. "I don't want' would be correct.

dodgy subject tax in two countries i pay tax on my savings in home country,and i pay tax on savings in los,i pay tax on income,in home country,(too much),and i pay vat in los,so we all contribute in some way to goverment coffers.

• Like 2

Your not too smart are you

Since they cant get a Work Permit how can they pay tax rolleyes.gif

I am sure they would love to get legal and pay taxes

Sorry Mr King. Mr h90 maybe on to something....

There is no link between Work Permit and ability/requirement to pay tax to Revenue Department.... please provide proof.

Just as an example, I was issued with an Individual Tax Number years ago. If I turned up at the Revenue every six months as required, because for some reason the ITN is not in a category for internet filing, declare my income within the Kingdom and smile sweetly, "Bob's your uncle".... because I am often out of the Kingdom at filing time, I pay a fine of 100 baht to 200 baht depending how late I am at reporting in person, not forgetting to smile more sweetly.

Furthermore, as far as I am aware, in most Tax jurisdictions... as far back as Al Capone... you pay your taxes irrespective of the "legality" of your income. That is one reason Revenue Inspectors sit in most Criminal Courtrooms, particularly fraud, prfostitution and drug trials......

I wonder if they realize how stupendously stupid they sound. 'recent rash of foreign criminals'. 'ATM skimmers'. If/when they exist, it's usually working in concert with local Thai. Foreign criminals who are actively commiting crimes such as these make up about .000001% of the foreigners here. And same with the ones that are doing visa runs.

I'm also very sure Ranong has no problem with the business brought in by visa runners. Long stayers or otherwise.

Edited by happysanook

This is all beginning to take on a decidedly arbitrary and subjective (not to mention intrusive) character. Is this going to just be aimed at border runners, or arriving air passengers seeking 30d exempt entries as well? Even if just at the border runners, how much can all legitimate toursts who just want to holiday and roam around the country be expected to know about their itineraries, beyond the first hotel ( and some, perfectly legitimately, not even that)? This is all beginning to get pretty unreasonable. The law-abiding, well-behaved, self-supporting tourists being caught up in the same net with the irresponsible, workrules-abusing, visa-abusing, and criminal types. Western countries have been going this direction for quite awhile, punishing the law-abiding vast majority for the sins of a very few, and Thailand stupidly follows these examples of bureaucracy run amok.

Why anyone not actually married to a thai or accepting legitimate employment here would even consider relocating to Thailand nowadays baffles me. Still fun to visit, but becoming less & less so by the day. 'Hub of hassles, hustles & scams.

• Like 1

"Because it is not possible, you need a work permit to pay income tax ..."

Not true. The Revenue Department will accept your tax form - even if you owe no tax - whether you have a WP, or not.

It seems the authorities want to rid parts of LOS from foreign riff raff that are making problems and you are advertising a fix for the folk WE want to get rid of......rolleyes.gif

That's just what I was thinking....and yet who actually endorses this type of visa...and issues it ? Immigration or the school?

This is exactly my situation, and I couldn't agree more. I'm in no way taking jobs from Thai people, and all of my clients are foreigners. Every penny I make comes from a foreign country and is spent in Thailand, shouldn't this be exactly what the governments wants? Yet as I'm far too young for a retirement visa and not interested in getting married anytime soon I have to resort to questionably legal means to obtain visas on an annual basis.

• Like 1

Your not too smart are you

Since they cant get a Work Permit how can they pay tax rolleyes.gif

I am sure they would love to get legal and pay taxes

Sorry Mr King. Mr h90 maybe on to something....

There is no link between Work Permit and ability/requirement to pay tax to Revenue Department.... please provide proof.

Just as an example, I was issued with an Individual Tax Number years ago. If I turned up at the Revenue every six months as required, because for some reason the ITN is not in a category for internet filing, declare my income within the Kingdom and smile sweetly, "Bob's your uncle".... because I am often out of the Kingdom at filing time, I pay a fine of 100 baht to 200 baht depending how late I am at reporting in person, not forgetting to smile more sweetly.

Furthermore, as far as I am aware, in most Tax jurisdictions... as far back as Al Capone... you pay your taxes irrespective of the "legality" of your income. That is one reason Revenue Inspectors sit in most Criminal Courtrooms, particularly fraud, prfostitution and drug trials......

I might be ignorant but if you do not work in Thailand why pay tax in Thailand?

My company is registered in my native country and I pay my taxes there and work when I am there, when I am in Thailand I am not legally allowed to work because I do not have a work permit and there is no way for me to get one without going into a grey zone with the law setting up a company and hiring Thais that only work on paper because I have no real job for them.

I consider myself a guest in this country and I follow the laws, like I would expect anyone coming to my country would do. What I am saying is Thailand is missing out on an income. I would happily pay 200K a year or what ever the rate is here in exchange for a yearly visa as long as I can show my work does not take a Thai job and I make for example more than 800K a year.

I am 40 I make about 2 mill a year but there are no way for me to legally live and work in Thailand. I could set up a company and hire 4 Thais but it would be a sham because those 4 would not actually have anything to do.

This is why we have all these crack downs on visas because some abuse the system because its out dated. I understand that Thailand do not want someone taking a Thai job but I bring in over 1.5 mill a year in foreign currency been doing that for 6 years and there are thousands like me and no way to stay and work here legally?

The tax money Thailand could make 200k x 2000 = a lot of money towards paying farmers for their rice

• Like 2

I am not working in Thailand but I spend about 1.5 million a year living here, all income from abroad.

I just got divorced from a Thai previously on a Non-O, currently on a 60 day tourist visa, I am not 50 so retirement visa not an option.

While I love it here the whole Visa issue for someone like me make me look for other options.

My response to all of this is go to Burma or Cambodia if you don't have roots here, the time has come to move on to better pastures.