Immigration clarifies Phuket visa run 'crackdown'

webfact

The ED Visa is just another abuse of the system, we have someone in this thread promoting it and people who have been here more than a week, how many real ED visas do you think there are? Or does people just use them for an easy 1 year visa? I live in the country side and I know of a few doing this, how many in Pattaya, Bangkok or Phuket?

Just another crackdown coming hurting the people who want to be here on a legit basis

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly my situation, and I couldn't agree more. I'm in no way taking jobs from Thai people, and all of my clients are foreigners. Every penny I make comes from a foreign country and is spent in Thailand, shouldn't this be exactly what the governments wants? Yet as I'm far too young for a retirement visa and not interested in getting married anytime soon I have to resort to questionably legal means to obtain visas on an annual basis.

Regardless of where your money comes from, when you're in Thailand, you're using the roads,

you're putting wear and tear on the infrastructure,

you're flushing the toilet,

and you're being protected from bad guys by the police, from epidemics by the health care agencies, from mosquitoes by the mosquito spraying agencies, and from Commies by the military. That all costs public money.

You forgot something or? smiley_emoticons_ironie.gif = " Attention irony" tongue.png

for the roads I pay with my taxes on car and fuel,

for wear and tare and flushing and everything else you have written and I not mentioned,

I pay with all my other taxes I pay hidden in every item I buy or consume!

For the police, I have to pay EXTRA anyway if I want a decent job done!

For health care pay myself.

Do not need Thai military to care me!

But I paid a lot of money in all the taxes in every item, I purchased, or in every service I ordered, in the last 24 years to the Thai budget threw the Thai Finance Ministry.of Finance! A lot!rolleyes.gif

This is the twenty first century. Many people are now making their living on the internet, making their money from other countries and living in Thailand spending their money. These people have no legal means of living in Thailand.

They also have no birthright to be in Thailand.

Lots and lots of 'I can do anything I want, because I'm white and Western' going on. sad.png

Khun Som wat I understand that you may think a lot of Westerners come to Thailand and they have no right to be here but if you went to Europe you can buy a house or land or company and own it 100% in your name. Marry a Westerner and get citizenship and a passport after a few years and be entitled to free social security and medical treatment. Westerners here legally own zero and are entitled to zero. Do you really think that is fair?

Westerners here own their own condos, houses, cars... fyi, as they are entitled to. rolleyes.gif

Westerners here can also get a Thai passport after 5 years, if they fit the criteria.

You seem quite clueless.

Westerners can own a house but not the land or own 50% of one house if they are married or 49% of a house through a company. Getting a Thai passport is a nightmare and only 100 per nationality are given out each year and the waiting list is years long. Thailand will have to give up these unfair laws eventually. Especially under the Asean agreements due to come into force soon when Thailand will be flooded with Burmese, Filipinos, Cambodians and Indonesians etc.

This is the twenty first century. Many people are now making their living on the internet, making their money from other countries and living in Thailand spending their money. These people have no legal means of living in Thailand. Even if they are on a non immigrant O visa, they are still breaking the law, because they don't have a work permit. Thailand should welcome these people. They are not taking jobs from Thais. Most of them make a lot of money and thus spend a lot of money in Thailand helping the economy. Quite a few live in rural areas where their contribution to the economy is well appreciated. Thailand should change their immigration procedures welcoming these people. They should issue work permits for working on the internet and issue non immigrant B visas for this purpose. If the individuals can show proof that they have brought an appropriate amount of money into the country they should get an extension of stay visa. Thailand should also offer an extension of stay visa for the purpose of retirement to any age level if they meet the financial requirements. Many people are inheriting large sums of money from their parents and are retiring early. These people want to live in warm country and many choose Thailand, but have no way of getting a legal visa.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are right George an each and every one of them could and SHOULD open a company and get a visa linked to that company.

Else you are breaking the Law. You are guest - act like one.

G

PS I did not see your response to a post before responding - I don't see why you can not open a Thai company and link your business to it and get a Visa. I have a friend that has just moved here for 12 months (maybe longer) and has don just that.

G

Moronic post.

All of the successful people I know who work online are "soloprenuers".

They work alone in high skill/high value niches.

Why on earth would they open a company when they must have four Thais sitting around doing absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

As far as i understand you are a thai. It is with bleeding heart I must teel you, i feel you don't welcome me. I'm below 50 years early retired from my home country and have 160000 baht every month. I'm not a drinker, don't work here and I'm still not able to get a visa in Thailand and has to go to my home country every year to get a new visa. So is my money not value and benefit to Thailand.

You fail to say how you obtain your 160000 baht per month and how long you can sustain this income or savings or whatever form you have this money?

What type of visa do you think the authorities should give you for presently having 160000 per month baht at your disposal?

There are ways and means to stay in Thailand under 50.

Find employment and get a job that entitles you to a Non-Imm 'B' visa and a work permit.

Study Thai for 16 hours a week and go for a Non-Imm 'O/ED' Visa (not allowed to work), which can be extended in various ways.

Invest 40,000,000 Baht in Thailand or in a Thai bank account.

Marry a Thai lady and obtain a Non-Imm 'O' based on marriage (need to show 400k in a Thai bank in your sole name or an income of 40k/month which you alleged you have well sorted).

Start your own company with BOI approval.

Start a company with the required Thai directors and shareholders.

Do a TEFL course and take on a voluntary teaching job (unpaid) at least 4 hours a week via a licensed foundation (like SEETEFL's

Become a monk.

This is the twenty first century. Many people are now making their living on the internet, making their money from other countries and living in Thailand spending their money. These people have no legal means of living in Thailand.

Lots and lots of 'I can do anything I want, because I'm white and Western' going on. sad.png

Khun Som wat I understand that you may think a lot of Westerners come to Thailand and they have no right to be here but if you went to Europe you can buy a house or land or company and own it 100% in your name. Marry a Westerner and get citizenship and a passport after a few years and be entitled to free social security and medical treatment. Westerners here legally own zero and are entitled to zero. Do you really think that is fair?

Westerners here own their own condos, houses, cars... fyi, as they are entitled to. rolleyes.gif

Westerners here can also get a Thai passport after 5 years, if they fit the criteria.

You seem quite clueless.

And the criteria is................................................................?..................................coffee1.gif

This is the twenty first century. Many people are now making their living on the internet, making their money from other countries and living in Thailand spending their money. These people have no legal means of living in Thailand. Even if they are on a non immigrant O visa, they are still breaking the law, because they don't have a work permit. Thailand should welcome these people. They are not taking jobs from Thais. Most of them make a lot of money and thus spend a lot of money in Thailand helping the economy. Quite a few live in rural areas where their contribution to the economy is well appreciated. Thailand should change their immigration procedures welcoming these people. They should issue work permits for working on the internet and issue non immigrant B visas for this purpose. If the individuals can show proof that they have brought an appropriate amount of money into the country they should get an extension of stay visa. Thailand should also offer an extension of stay visa for the purpose of retirement to any age level if they meet the financial requirements. Many people are inheriting large sums of money from their parents and are retiring early. These people want to live in warm country and many choose Thailand, but have no way of getting a legal visa.

And I think they also forget to pay income tax in Thailand.

Wrong.

They would pay tax in the country in which their business is domiciled.

Unless of course, that country is a tax free jurisdiction.

As far as i understand you are a thai. It is with bleeding heart I must teel you, i feel you don't welcome me. I'm below 50 years early retired from my home country and have 160000 baht every month. I'm not a drinker, don't work here and I'm still not able to get a visa in Thailand and has to go to my home country every year to get a new visa. So is my money not value and benefit to Thailand.

You fail to say how you obtain your 160000 baht per month and how long you can sustain this income or savings or whatever form you have this money?

What type of visa do you think the authorities should give you for presently having 160000 per month baht at your disposal?

There are ways and means to stay in Thailand under 50.

Find employment and get a job that entitles you to a Non-Imm 'B' visa and a work permit.

Study Thai for 16 hours a week and go for a Non-Imm 'O/ED' Visa (not allowed to work), which can be extended in various ways.

Invest 40,000,000 Baht in Thailand or in a Thai bank account.

Marry a Thai lady and obtain a Non-Imm 'O' based on marriage (need to show 400k in a Thai bank in your sole name or an income of 40k/month which you alleged you have well sorted).

Start your own company with BOI approval.

Start a company with the required Thai directors and shareholders.

Do a TEFL course and take on a voluntary teaching job (unpaid) at least 4 hours a week via a licensed foundation (like SEETEFL's

Become a monk.

You are correct. I fail to tell for how long time I got the payment. But easy. To I die with 2-5% raise every year. I have 2 incurrence paying out, and my government. Been on immigration to get non o visa or a retirement visa but no luck. Even i have a document from my ambasade and tranlated to thai. I'm early retired means I'm unable to work, but I like this country, there is good for my heaelt, I just want to relax and enjoying my life with my small health mistakes. Right now I have a non o cause we can get it in my country,even we are below of 50, of the relationship and friendship between my kingdom and yours.

I have being a monk, but only for short time, because in respect for yours religion and I'm was unable to speak thai at that moment, and because thai people was giving me money in the temple , I had to leave

About the visa. it cut be a retirement , if you can prove you are early retired from you country.

Edited by carstenp

You seem quite clueless.

And the criteria is................................................................?..................................coffee1.gif

Very simple.

Be female, married to a Thai national, having 5 annual Extensions of Temporary Stay based on marriage..... No proof of funds or income are needed for the Extensions of Temporary Stay.

As I said, very simple if you fit the criteria. smile.png

The arrogance of 'we demand to be able to stay here any way we want' could only come from Westerners. Who despite having absolutely no birthright to stay here at all, get all angry at the sheer audacity of having a Visa demanded of them.

How dare they demand a visa, of which there are many easily available, don't they know that I'm White and Western!

Edited by Som wat

You seem quite clueless.

Very simple.

Be female, married to a Thai national, having 5 annual Extensions of Temporary Stay based on marriage..... No proof of funds or income are needed for the Extensions of Temporary Stay.

The arrogance of 'we demand to be able to stay here any way we want' could only come from Westerners. Who despite having absolutely no birthright to stay here at all, get all angry at the sheer audacity of having a Visa demanded of them.

Your debate is pathetic and contradictory. Obviously you don't like Western men only Western women as Chairman Mao said " You can't open a window without letting some flies in."

• Like 1

Well I am a Western man, and I like myself.

Does that not count at least?

No need to get all angry because you can't get a visa to live in a country that you have have no birthright to. How dare they not worship all whites and Westerners. How dare they.

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 2

Yes I have inherited some funds, applied for retirement and have now settled in my daily life of exercise and cooking my own meals..great..keep life simple. In the past I lived on a min amount of money while working..it worked for six months away from the cold weather and wet weather back home. Now with inherited funds in investment as much as I would work for 6 months now tax free..live the same..odd ... but realized a simple life being raised on a farm when young keep the inessentials like the Thai's live life as if they have wealth...for Thai's it is daily..hand to mouth..like many bar girls in their own situation... All members whom are in Thailand know the ways of the Thai's..new ones will know..some lossing their properties, others why their Thai lady left them..in my case...now single..ok will find my own peace..could be a good experience in learning life here...trust all is well with you and if you have a problem..just look back at the past experiences and how you survived..keep this in mind and all will be a new dawn in the darkness of stress...Ron

It's not really difficult to setup a company and get a work permit.

No need to get all angry because you can't get a visa to live in a country that you have have no birthright to. How dare they not worship all whites and Westerners. How dare they.

Another moronic post.

White skin or western origins are entirely irrelevant here.

We are customers purchasing product Thailand. An increasing number of us are becoming disatisfied with the product. The Thais in control need to respond by redesigning the features of product Thailand, that we dislike, or risk losing our business.

Unfortunately the Thais in control dont get it. They think that marketing gimmicks such as cat bags and catch phrases will address fundametal flaws in their product.

Those posting here aren't getting angry because of issues of race or nationality. They are angry because of the hoplessly flawed visa system which is rapidly overshadowing the few remaining positive features of product Thailand.

Where does the sovereignty of a market place reside. With the creator of the product, or with the customer.

My guess is with the customer.

Birthright....Pfffftttttt...

The free market doesn't give a damn where you were born.

Good Lord what a whine. All from someone calling themselves 'fatdrunkandstupid'.

What are the tourist increase numbers over the past decade. Yeah, Thailand needs a few penniless losers that can't get a visa. Meanwhile Russians and Chinese are being shipped in on cattle truck after cattle truck.

You keep on thinking that you matter... It's cute. thumbsup.gif

Yes I have inherited some funds, applied for retirement and have now settled in my daily life of exercise and cooking my own meals..great..keep life simple. In the past I lived on a min amount of money while working..it worked for six months away from the cold weather and wet weather back home. Now with inherited funds in investment as much as I would work for 6 months now tax free..live the same..odd ... but realized a simple life being raised on a farm when young keep the inessentials like the Thai's live life as if they have wealth...for Thai's it is daily..hand to mouth..like many bar girls in their own situation... All members whom are in Thailand know the ways of the Thai's..new ones will know..some lossing their properties, others why their Thai lady left them..in my case...now single..ok will find my own peace..could be a good experience in learning life here...trust all is well with you and if you have a problem..just look back at the past experiences and how you survived..keep this in mind and all will be a new dawn in the darkness of stress...Ron

Just because some relative died and left you some cash and now you are living the life of a peasant albeit with some cash in the bank in the middle of nowhere. What does this have to do with the current visa crackdown in Ranong?

'The Superintendent of Phuket Immigration, Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, commented, “Phuket is a tourist destination. So it is a good thing for us to be more careful about who we allow to stay on the island.”

Indeed! Starting, perhaps, with the scam merchants.

It seems the authorities want to rid parts of LOS from foreign riff raff that are making problems and you are advertising a fix for the folk WE want to get rid of......rolleyes.gif

Are you "the authorities"?

i see a sharp increase in the future of even more fraudelent ED schools popping up

I don't.

It would seem that the ED visa is no longer a viable option in Phuket.

This is why:

Before a student in Phuket could do a visa run to KL with papers from his or her school, and then come back with a 3 month ED visa stamp. An extension for a further 9 months was then granted. In the subsequent years of study the student would be granted a 12 month extension at which time he could also pay for a single (multiple) re-entry permit.

However, when applying for an extension a student in Phuket is now given a 1 month "under consideration" stamp the same as what you get if you apply for a visa based on marriage. So the extension regime goes like this 1mth + 5 mths + 1 mth + 5mths. So four trips to immigration (and at Phuket that is often an all day exercise) just for the extension stamps. Then add to that an additional four trips to immigration to do the required 90 day reports (because now the report dates do note line up with the extension dates). Note also that it is no longer possible for you to purchase just one re-entry permit. If you want to cover the full year you have to purchase four: 2 x 1000THB and 2 x 3800THB.

And so the costs for 12 months on an ED visa in Phuket are (at a minimum) as follows:

Visa run to KL minimum: 4000 Using a overnight death bus option, add another 5000THB if flying

School fees: 30,000 Including initial visa cost when applying

Learning materials 1000

Extension fees 3800

Re-entry permits 9600

8 trips to immigration 2400 Please note that this is based on self ride on motorcycle. If using tuk tuk or taxi add another 8-12,000THB

Photocopies and photos 200 Probably more than this in reality

fuel for attending class 10,000 Please note that this is based on self ride on motorcycle. If using tuk tuk or taxi add another 50-60,000THB

Repairs to motorcycle 5000

Minimum total cost 73,000

While on the topic of costs. It is also very important to note that this new approach for ED visa burns up a huge number of pages in your passport.

For example:

Underconsideration stamp: 1 page

Re-entry permits: 1 page

Extensions: 1 page

Cost of passports vary depending on country of origin. But if you have an Australian or other hidden chip type passport each page costs about 300THB (not factoring in the time for obtaining a new passport). So another 2-3000THB could be added to the above costs for passport pages.

Then add to the above expenses the time lost out of your life dealing with immigration and attending class (you can put a value on how much your time is worth):

8 trips to immigration minimum. If there is an issue with your paperwork, or if immigration is having a bad day, or if there is a public holiday, or if there is an accident in Phuket town or on Patong hill, or if there is a protest, or if there is a mob blocking Thepkrassattri Road, or if the road is flooded,...add some more days

Then add commuting to school and back 2 times a week and attending class. If you have to ride to class add additional days for any of the problems identified in the paragraph above. Also add additional days for cancellation or changes to your classes by your teachers or school. So at a absolute bare minimum 100 half days = 50 days.

Also add some more time lost running around to pick up documents from your school, and to obtain photos and photocopies.

So the loss of your time is around 50-60 full days.

So there you have it. Complying with the requirements of an ED visa in Phuket will cost you 75,000 THB of your hard earned cash and two months of your life.

Tell me again (like I was a small child, or a golden retriever) why you predict a boom in enrollment numbers?

Excellent post. clap2.gif

Another moronic post.

White skin or western origins are entirely irrelevant here.

We are customers purchasing product Thailand. An increasing number of us are becoming disatisfied with the product. The Thais in control need to respond by redesigning the features of product Thailand, that we dislike, or risk losing our business.

Unfortunately the Thais in control dont get it. They think that marketing gimmicks such as cat bags and catch phrases will address fundametal flaws in their product.

Those posting here aren't getting angry because of issues of race or nationality. They are angry because of the hoplessly flawed visa system which is rapidly overshadowing the few remaining positive features of product Thailand.

Where does the sovereignty of a market place reside. With the creator of the product, or with the customer.

My guess is with the customer.

Birthright....Pfffftttttt...

The free market doesn't give a damn where you were born.

+1 on the dot. thumbsup.gif

Why stop at 50, even further age reduction would be a face saving solution by Thai officials for the many younger ex-pats.

I wholeheartedly agree with eradicating the age criteria for visa based on retirement. If a person has enough money then they should be welcomed to stay and spend their wealth in Thailand. Why should they need to be old to do such a thing?

Persons of any age are welcome to reside with B 'investor' visa. Got 10 mil baht? ( Used to be 3 million.) Stick it in a FD at the Govt Savings Bank , even draws a bit of interest, and you can obtain a WP with a foreign worker compliant company. Likewise a condo ( be careful, if the value dips below 10 mil , you lose your visa.( Other caveats apply to property)

I agree Thailand is missing out on the under 50 foreign residents that would pay taxes, if there were legal means to do so.

As for capturing criminals by sudden enforcement of old laws, have they become mind readers? Sure they' ll weed out a few, and for every one crook, they'll weed out five spending money obtained abroad, legally and now doing endless border runs.

Incidentally I wish the reporter on this story would not call the visa exempt border stamp runs " visa runs"

Edited by EBlair48

It's not really difficult to setup a company and get a work permit.

Sure if you want to pay somebody else to do it all for you. Whan you start trying to get all the papers together yourself, mixed in with every vist to any govt office requires a return trip to pick up whatever you went in to apply for, + of course the one paper you don't have, + the factor that they want you to use agents for everything, + tend to discourage independence by being as much a pain in butt as can be, like docs not being in English when actually they should be ( ASEAN....) = IMO then it becomes collossal headache and small business owners need not apply.

You want to run a mega factory and take advantage of slave waged labor, then Thailand is very welcoming.

Why,... it's the Walmart of Nations

Getting permanent residency still requires the alien obtain a work permit, and one can never, ever, no no... not ever, never vote in a sacred Thai election.

That is we ridicule this system, its sheer arrogance by ignorance. Its propensity for pompousity.

It just ain't all that.

You seem quite clueless.

Very simple.

How dare they demand a visa, of which there are many easily available, don't they know that I'm White and Western!

These people are not doing anything illegal. It's something I find unnecessary but for some people it is. I couldn't give a rats how people get their visas. I just wonder which law states that this cannot be done? If Immigration find this practice objectionable then the law should be changed or clarified. Nothing more to be said.