ATM Fraud

jamie2009

I have had my account skimmed in BKK for around $500 dollars a day for three days before I checked my account. The bank got everything back to me. I have had this happen in the US as well, so it is not solely a Thailand problem. Shamefully, it happens everywhere.

Lived here five years and decided two years ago never to use an ATM again, it's very easy to draw money from your account if you are at your bank, silly advice only take money from ATM outside your bank, he'll just go in.

Once had my card blocked by the bank because of withdrawals in BKK, After checking, i found that the withdrawals were actually all mine and i withdrew them in Chonburi. Why the bank would think BKK, i'll never know.

The problem in Thailand ia that most banks still use data from the magnetic stripe on ATM cards and have not changed yet to using the data on the chip on cards. Magnetic stripes are easy to copy. Criminals copy it when you use an ATM and also obtain your pin code either through a camera or a manipulated ATM keyboard. Countries that have awitched to using the chips on cards have seen a huge reduction in ATM fraud.

Now how to protect yourself? For myseld I only go inside the bank to the teller to withdraw cash. I not use ATM machines until they are using the chips.

There have been quite a few reports of this in different parts of Thailand.

Yes, there have been. Never let your card leave your sight! Only use bank ATM's, not 7-11, bars, etc. Check for skimmers, cameras and shoulder surfers! TIT

This can be a problem world wide, not just a TIT problem.... coffee1.gif

Actually, you're wrong. It rarely happens in many other countries. It's a Thailand problem. coffee1.gif

Pure nonsense.

The problem in Thailand is getting your money back.

The world wide problem with ATM fraud is done this way........

A small plastic "box" shaped just like the slot where your card goes in, is a reader of your numbers and it can relay that info a very short way to a special computerized reader receiver. THEN, someone or a camera must ALSO see and record your pin that you input. Only with both can your account be grabbed.

There may be some newer way to grab ur info, but it is not widely reported or I would have seen it. This technology is not something a dolt can create, but a dolt can be assigned to run the device. Did your card bank tell you how your info could possibly have been stolen? Small amounts sound like a "friend" using it.

Use only ATMs fastened to the front of banks or inside banks. Cash is infinitely easier to steal.

Your right,they take the daily limit.Maybe the small amounts were items purchased.

I was coming back from Laos, on the Thai side when I tried to get cash from an ATM at a Thai bank. I got a notice saying insufficient funds which wasn't possible. I got home the next day to find my account empty. The bank had taken my money. Luckily my bank got it all back for me within 4 days. My bank said it was not unusual to have this happen in more rural bank/ATM in Thailand.

Was this a Thai bank that paid you back so quick.If it was,which one?

The problem in Thailand ia that most banks still use data from the magnetic stripe on ATM cards and have not changed yet to using the data on the chip on cards. Magnetic stripes are easy to copy. Criminals copy it when you use an ATM and also obtain your pin code either through a camera or a manipulated ATM keyboard. Countries that have awitched to using the chips on cards have seen a huge reduction in ATM fraud.

Now how to protect yourself? For myseld I only go inside the bank to the teller to withdraw cash. I not use ATM machines until they are using the chips.

The magnetic strips are still there because the Yanks wont change to chips,costs too much they say to change all Atm's.

We have a set PIN number that we entered at the bank, if we want a new PIN I go online on my phone to the banks secure site and change our PIN to 123456, it's valid for 20 minutes. I have the option immediately after the withdrawl of resetting the original PIN, which I do 100% of the time.

Here's the part that irritates me, the service is only offered with business accounts and not personal accounts, the technology is there why the don't offer it to every customer is beyond me. We've been using the chip for 5-6 years in Canada.

Edited by ToddWeston

The magnetic strips are still there because the Yanks wont change to chips,costs too much they say to change all Atm's.

Terrible chaps those Yanks. I have a card with a chip, but have yet to find one ATM where I can use it, or for that matter use it for purchases.

I had to get a new card the other day, Bank of Bangkok... they now have the chip.... but it limits one to only use Bank of BKK ATM machines.... a pain that will be,sad.png until other machines can do.... I guess... facepalm.gif

Yes, there have been. Never let your card leave your sight! Only use bank ATM's, not 7-11, bars, etc. Check for skimmers, cameras and shoulder surfers! TIT

Actually, you're wrong. It rarely happens in many other countries. It's a Thailand problem. coffee1.gif

Not sure if this is true; but I heard that the problem with some of the banks is they are still using pirated un-updated versions of Windows XP and scammers have found a way to hack.

Not sure if this is true; but I heard that the problem with some of the banks is they are still using pirated un-updated versions of Windows XP and scammers have found a way to hack.

No, not true.

Thanks for all the replies. Do Thai Banks return funds if you have a Thai Card skimmed/compromised.

I am looking at moving to Thailand for a year, Retirement Visa, it concerns me as I would be opening a Thai Bank Account.I would be interested to know the best/most secure bank and the cheapest way to transfer money from a UK Bank Account to a Thai Bank Account. Dont fancy carrying a load of cash from the UK.

Thai banks return funds if your ATM card was skimmed and your account debited fraudulently as a result of this. However I suggest you only get a passbook for your savings account, this way this cannot happen to you.

I cancelled my ATM card after this happened to me and I have no issues going inside a bank to withdraw money from my account.

international payments from your UK bank acct are straight forward. Most banks give you this function in e-banking and a small fee will be deducted for the payment.

hope this helps.

This is not very difficult. Just cover with your hand when you type in the code and check that there are no people standing close to you. I have done this for many years since when I first heard about skimming .

Never had a problem and I use ATM almost daily, cashing out smaller amounts .

Edited by balo

Cash is King I only use ATM at Banks

Using ATMs only at banks and other closely-guarded locations is good advice, but cash is most certainly not king:

Every day, an estimated 400,000 travelers are victims of pickpockets somewhere in the world.

New York City: 3000 pickpocket incidents reported in a single month.

The UK averages more than 500,000 pickpocket incidents each year.

So you are much more likely to be the victim of a pickpocket than a victim of ATM skimming, and with cash you stand almost zero chance of getting it returned to you. On the other hand, banks will usually refund your losses from ATM fraud. Provided you practice safe swiping, cards are still the safest way to travel.

Thats right. Card is far safer. At least the bank repays skimmed money also.

The world wide problem with ATM fraud is done this way........

A small plastic "box" shaped just like the slot where your card goes in, is a reader of your numbers and it can relay that info a very short way to a special computerized reader receiver. THEN, someone or a camera must ALSO see and record your pin that you input. Only with both can your account be grabbed.

There may be some newer way to grab ur info, but it is not widely reported or I would have seen it. This technology is not something a dolt can create, but a dolt can be assigned to run the device. Did your card bank tell you how your info could possibly have been stolen? Small amounts sound like a "friend" using it.

Use only ATMs fastened to the front of banks or inside banks. Cash is infinitely easier to steal.

--------------------

A few months ago I was going to use an ATN with my Bangkok Bank ATM/debit card in a mall.

I didn't use that ATM because.the ATM machine looked funny to me ... there was clearly something attached where you would normally put your card.

There was a young woman with a "cellphone" device standing near by that seemed to be looking at numbers as people were using that ATM.

I went elsewhere, but as I did I asked that woman, "Are you reading card numbers from that ATM".

She "didn't understand" but rapidly left the area.

I reported my suspicions to a security guard.

A few days later that ATM had been replaced by a new one.

And yes, I always try to block the keypad when I use it.

And I'm a 150 kilo and almost two meter tall "block" so I can "block: the keyboard quite well when I want to, thank you.

Covering the keyboard to protect the pin code only works if they are using a camera or a person to detect the pin code. More recently they have used manipulated keyboards which register the pin code you type in. It is basically a thin keyboard fixed on top of the original keyboard of the ATM with the only purpose to register the oin code typed in. I've seen pictures from ATMs with that and it is not easy to detect (same as the addtl card reader).

Safest way is to avoid ATMs and only use a passbook and withdraw money inside the bank from the teller.

if you need to use an ATM card, then at least choose a bank that has already switched to using the chip codes on ATM cards and no longer thw magnetic stripe.

Over the last few posts there's been a lot of discussion about the various different type of devices the crims use to capture card data and PIN no's. If you refer back to my post #19 on page 1 and follow the links you will see clear explanations, photos and videos of all these devices, then you will know what to look out for. smile.png

• Like 1

Criminals are well organised now days using high performance computers that run 24/7 crunching combinations of 16 digit card numbers linked with 4 digit passwords. Apparently (Australian police source) these groups get a number of hits every single day that randomly link a card with a password and bam, they have your money after creating the false card and without the owner knowing. My best mate was a victim and working for the government, he wanted answers.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand