Nouvo sx won't start with kick starter

drukja

I bought a 2012 Nouvo sx 125cc a couple months ago.

It runs fine and starts with the electric starter quick and easy.

I have tried to start it with the kick starter and can't do it.

Kickstand up, ignition on and fuel pump engaged, brake lever pulled, battery fully charged...... no action.

Not even a pop.

Any sugestions?

Any Nuovo sx owners out there that can start theirs with the kickstarter?

Hmm that is strange, my wife's ex Fino (carb) once had a dead battery and after 10 min on the kick starter (I was cursing) it fired up ( not been running for app one month). The battery was gone all right, after a 4 km trip I stopped it strategically outside a bike shop and the battery was still flat so I got the shop to fit a new and it was fine since then.

It's the same with my wife's current Scoppy (EFI), she left it over night with the ignition on and the battery was flat in the morning, I could start it easy on the kick and took it for a spin to charge the battery and it had been fine since.

So why OP's Nouvo can't start on the kick is odd man.

• Like 1

It maybe you didn't have the right music playing in the background!

The 1812 Overture should do the trick. By the time you get to the cannons it should be firing in unison. rolleyes.gif

That is truly strange.

I've never tried starting my SX by kicking, but I will.

The easiest way to kick over a Nouvo is to stand off on the left side and kick with the right foot.

Straddling is not so good.

I had a problem like this on a Honda Click. The kickstarter assembly and gears that spiral out and engage as you start the kick were gummed up and dirty from many years of disuse. The kickstarter was stiff and difficult to get enough power from the kick to start the bike. The kickstarter would also not return to its starting position- had to lift it back up with my foot.

Can you feel any engine compression against your kick? If not, it might be the same spider gears not engaging and turning the engine over.

The local motorcycle shop took the cover off and cleaned everything for 100 THB, and then it started easily on the first kick every time.

Unclear from OP:

Is bike on center stand?

As I remember (I'm not home where the bike is) the center stand is in the way of the kickstart lever when folded up. So, the bike has to be up on the center stand in order to operate the kickstarter.

papa al:

did you try kickstarting your SX?

Well........ I managed to get it started two times... out of about 12 trys.

It started without pulling on a brake lever. So it doesn't matter if the brakes are on or not.

Almost feels like a loose connection somewhere. Won't start and then out of the blue it starts right up,,, then won't start again.

Screw it, at least the electric starter works.

Out of curiosity i just tried kickstarting my SX for the first time. Yes, its not easy, i had to kick it 8-10 times, then it started (without pulling any brakes). The kickstarter on the SX (and the Elegance) is sure nothing for everyday use smile.png

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

The rear brake shouldn't make any difference as the clutch is disengaged.

Apply the front brake and give it some thrutch. Some ignition systems require a minimum cranking speed?

Edited by VocalNeal

Unclear from OP:

Is bike on center stand?

As I remember (I'm not home where the bike is) the center stand is in the way of the kickstart lever when folded up. So, the bike has to be up on the center stand in order to operate the kickstarter.

papa al:

did you try kickstarting your SX?

Also not home.

Out of town until Wed.

Will apprise.

Got the same with my Nouvo Elegance.

Battery is flat/dead, but kickstart just wont do it.

Tried to charge the battery in the BikeShop (2-3 hours) and started without a problem.

Only after 2 rides the bike again did not want to start.

I presume it is time for a new battery anyway after 3.5 years?

Okay, E-started SX and went to breakfast.

After that I tried to kick start, (~12 kicks) but no go.

<deleted> Maynard!

Unless somebody here can figure out what's happening, I guess I'll take into Mityon repair station later this week.

Got the same with my Nouvo Elegance.

Battery is flat/dead, but kickstart just wont do it.

Tried to charge the battery in the BikeShop (2-3 hours) and started without a problem.

Only after 2 rides the bike again did not want to start.

I presume it is time for a new battery anyway after 3.5 years?

Yep, after 3.5 years you could do nothing wrong with changing the battery :)

Tried kickstarting SX again today but despite my best taekwando kiyups, no go.

The lot attendants thought it was pretty funny.

I'm guessing the thing is just not spinning fast enough.

I love Yamaha since 1967, ( I even have Yamaha guitar) but something is amiss here.

Ok.

Put on center stand and kicked twice with key off then switched on and started @1st kick.

????????facepalm.gif

I'm pretty sure it always has to be put on the centre stand when kickstarting. Of course ignition must be on and the brake lever pulled in. If you haven't been doing this then perhaps it's the reason you haven't been able to start it before.

I don't have a Nouvo but I do have a Honda Airblade. The battery died, and I had to kickstart it every morning before I could be bothered to go and buy a new battery, so I have had a lot of practice in this.

Ok.

Put on center stand and kicked twice with key off then switched on and started @1st kick.

????????facepalm.gif

ALRIGHT !! INNOVATION !!

I will try that method tomorrow.

If it works I will contact Yamaha Corporation and suggest that they add those instructions to their owners manual.

(brake lever does not need to be pulled when kick starting,, only when electric starting)

Maybe it is a Yamaha thing.

Today, NEW battery and teunup, 550 Baht, starts and drives like a VIRGIN (in Thailand)

Even the kickstart works with the new battery/teunup, Yamaha, Elegance, blue/grey

GOOD MB for sale, bike box shopping on the back, 6700KM, 4- years old, Pattaya, make me an offer before I put it on Bahtstop.com

farang owned, tomorrow on bahtstop and TV ads, or just PM me

Ok.

????????facepalm.gif

papa al

I tried your method this evening AND IT WORKED !

Talk about bazaar and weird.

Cold engine, two kicks with ignition off, turned on ignition, one kick and it started.

Turned it off, turned ignition back on, kicked it over four or five times, wouldn't start.

Turned off ignition, kicked 2 times, turned on ignition, kicked once, started right up.

When I have time I will try just one kick with ignition off,,, then see if it will start right up with one kick with ig on....

If anyone else has a Nouvo SX 125i or Mio 125i,,, give this a try and report back. It would be interesting to know if it really works on more of these model bikes.

Hey al ,, I don't know what prompted you to try it that way,, but I am glad you did.

Thanks very much.

Ok.

????????facepalm.gif

papa al

Cold engine, two kicks with ignition off, turned on ignition, one kick and it started.

Turned it off, turned ignition back on, kicked it over four or five times, wouldn't start.

Turned off ignition, kicked 2 times, turned on ignition, kicked once, started right up.

When I have time I will try just one kick with ignition off,,, then see if it will start right up with one kick with ig on....

If anyone else has a Nouvo SX 125i or Mio 125i,,, give this a try and report back. It would be interesting to know if it really works on more of these model bikes.

Hey al ,, I don't know what prompted you to try it that way,, but I am glad you did.

Thanks very much.

Maybe I'm a genius or maybe I spaced out and accidentally left key off, then a friend pointed it out.

5 5 5

Ok.

????????facepalm.gif

papa al

Thanks very much.

Didn't work for me. Still had to kick it 5-7 times. But no real problem for me. If the battery is flat i buy a new one anyway and if the e-starter is broken i will fix it. My old Elegance never let me down, so i am confident my SX won't too.