Mae Sai not allowing Visa Runs as of today

Immigration seems to be having a large stoppage or crackdown, not even first timers are being allowed Visas. Yesterday no problem.

OK, I am an American. Visa exempt or visa on arrival I guess. Went yesterday for a new entry with a company no-problem. the company calls me today and gives me the info and has me verify my entry. Americans get 30days at the border and have been for at least 2 months. I am a tourist currently only staying for 3 months, last month I was in Phuket did a run to Ranong 30days no-problem. The Visa-run company said everyone on the shuttle was turned away. She, the Thai agent, said she called immigration (Thai) and they confirmed that as of today the Visa on arrival runs are not happening at border crossings (Mae Sai) if anyone else has more info please detail it with the name or the border you are referring to.

Edited by sonnyt34
  • Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have anything to substantiate your post. Some more info would help,

Nobody gets a visa at a border (other than those that can get a 15 day VOA) you must be writing about visa exempt entries.

Are they letting those with visas to cross and return for new entries.

Perhaps there is a problem on the other side of the border so they are not allowing people to depart.

Hey all I have a big issue! I'm at the border in Mae Sai and they aren't letting anyone through! They are saying new regulations we can only fly out of the country and won't let me cross into Myanmar. Anyone know what's up?? This is for everyone here mostly Canadian and American on different types of visas

people stuck at the border now as we speak

So every westerner that had approached the Thai exit border to Myanmar they have refused to let leave no matter how many stamps you have and what country. All they said is that you now have to fly out only. No more exit by land via a new regulation passed. When we asked for more information they got aggressive and angry even though we are being nice and just confused. I have evidence of money and address if need be but no matter who you are they aren't allowing it. They keep saying "talk to my boss in Bangkok" and shoo us off and when we ask for the phone number they say "no, no number!" And when we asked where the immigration office is they refused to tell us where.

This is happening at the Mae Sai border now outragous

• Like 1

So every westerner that had approached the Thai exit border to Myanmar they have refused to let leave no matter how many stamps you have and what country. All they said is that you now have to fly out only. No more exit by land via a new regulation passed. When we asked for more information they got aggressive and angry even though we are being nice and just confused. I have evidence of money and address if need be but no matter who you are they aren't allowing it. They keep saying "talk to my boss in Bangkok" and shoo us off and when we ask for the phone number they say "no, no number!" And when we asked where the immigration office is they refused to tell us where.

This is happening at the Mae Sai border now outragous

The Visa Run company I went with yesterday has verified this with the Thai Immigration office.

So is what you are saying that the Thai authorities won't let you exit Thailand or is it the Myanmar authorities that won't let you enter?

As I understand it you are saying it's the Thai authorities that won't let you leave or enter.

In other words they have closed the border crossing starting today?

Please advise.

I realize it is a stressful situation, but please be as specific as you can.

We want to pass on the clearest news we can to others using this forum.

• Like 1

So is what you are saying that the Thai authorities won't let you exit Thailand or is it the Myanmar authorities that won't let you enter?

As I understand it you are saying it's the Thai authorities that won't let you leave or enter.

In other words they have closed the border crossing starting today?

Please advise.

I realize it is a stressful situation, but please be as specific as you can.

We want to pass on the clearest news we can to others using this forum.

Senior Members post said they are not being allowed to leave Thailand to enter Myanmar. The owner of the Visa run company stated that their passengers were told the same.

very worried now, visa run due 21st this month, some official story would be nice from you boys at TV

Mae Sai is my border bounce.

you can call Chiang Mai Visa Run at 0857177383 to verify what I have stated.

Chiang Khong, Laos border should be ok? That is a legitimate exit border. The Mae Sai border is slightly different as it's not a true entry point into Burma for most of us.

Edited by MESmith

It might be nation wide.

There is a new immigraiton directive, but we first have to get a proper translation before we can say what it means.

Thanks because this appears to be an issue that will affect many.

I am up for my exit and re-entry stamp for my Non-Imm B visa tomorrow. Bus ticket already purchased. I'm hoping it's just tourist visa people and not those possessing actual visas.

This is bad news for many.

Oh Thailand....

I am up for my exit and re-entry stamp for my Non-Imm B visa tomorrow. Bus ticket already purchased. I'm hoping it's just tourist visa people and not those possessing actual visas.

Oh Thailand....

It is not related to people who have a proper visa, like you. So no need to worry.

• Like 2

Oh Thailand....

If you are doing the trip with an agency I would call them today for additional info

Oh Thailand....

It is not related to people who have a proper visa, like you. So no need to worry.

Posted Today, 14:04

Hey all I have a big issue! I'm at the border in Mae Sai and they aren't letting anyone through! They are saying new regulations we can only fly out of the country and won't let me cross into Myanmar. Anyone know what's up?? This is for everyone here mostly Canadian and American on different types of visas

It seems you have a problem specific to the Thai-Myanmar border at that place. Thai immigration will not let you leave there, as the only option at that border is to enter Myanmar and return to Thailand. And the returning to Thailand is the problem. That is no longer allowed if you just left on a visa exempt entry.

I am guessing that at the border with Malaysia there would be no poblem to leave by land.

You either will have to leave Thailand by air or try it at another land border.

• Like 2

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but looks as though anyone including those who have entered Thailand on a visa exempt stamp travelling to a neighbouring thai consulate to obtain a visa can exit Thailand at the land border and assuming successful application of the visa can still re-enter at the same land crossing with the new visa?

This is currently quite relevant to my current situation since I'm normally in on a non imm o, but visa expired before I entered last time from my work in Africa and entered on a visa exempt stamp, therefore planned within the next 2 weeks to make a new application

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but looks as though anyone including those who have entered Thailand on a visa exempt stamp travelling to a neighbouring thai consulate to obtain a visa can exit Thailand at the land border and assuming successful application of the visa can still re-enter at the same land crossing with the new visa?

This is currently quite relevant to my current situation since I'm normally in on a non imm o, but visa expired before I entered last time from my work in Africa and entered on a visa exempt stamp, therefore planned within the next 2 weeks to make a new application

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Witha visa you can enter as normal, it is about people without a visa.

Oh Thailand....

I have a triple entry tourist visa in my passport from Thai Embassy in London.....do you think it will affect me? I have 2 entries left to use!

Oh Thailand....

I have a triple entry tourist visa in my passport from Thai Embassy in London.....do you think it will affect me? I have 2 entries left to use!

I see it does not affect me....phew!

"Non-Immigrant Visa or Tourist visa holders with remaining entries on their visa can exit and enter Thailand as before"

Time to get married for an easier life!

I'm really getting sick and tierd of this place, without us they would fall to pieces but they dont want us, If i have a problem at any time, im going and not coming back.