Mae Sai not allowing Visa Runs as of today

..i just post my question here because i cannot find another forum...

my situation is that i m stay now since two month in cambodia, in the past i did the visa run to thailand 2 times and have 2 subsequently thai visa in my passport..

is it possible to get a 30 day visa again when i cross the border at poi pet?

You will not have a problem entering the country because you have been out of the country for more than a few hours. You will not a get a visa when you enter you will get a visa exempt entry. It will be 15 days unless your are from a G7 country that are allowed a 30 day entry or from one that has a bilateral agreement with Thailand.

Sorry how long does one have to be outside Thailand for, in order to return via a land crossing and NOT be viewed as a visa runner? I understand turn-around visa runners are the target. You mentioned being out of the country for a few hours. I would recommend at least a few days actually, but just wondering. For me, whenever I've had to do visa runs I've almost always spent at least a couple of days in the neighboring country...sometimes there have been errands to run or the trip could just be turned into a nice trip rather than just a visa run that is full of hassles.

You are reading my comment out of context. It meant he had not just left the country. It certainly did not mean you could be out for a few hours.

If you had not already made some crossings just to get a new entry you might be able out for a day even. It is going to depend upon your history of entering, leaving and entering again.

That's what I thought. For example, someone who is on 30 day stamps (let's see he's a US citizen) and goes to Cambodia on the 29th or 30th day for one overnight stay, comes back and does the same or very similar 2 or 3 consecutive times (for example, second exit to Cambodia would be on the 27th day and back to Cambodia for only one day or perhaps 2 days).

Another person who just spent 28 days in Thailand, goes to Cambodia for a week, comes back to Thailand for 15 days, then goes to Laos for a week and then returns to Thailand on a double entry TR would likely be seen in a different light. Although...it might also depend if there's a history dating back a few more months or years before then or if that's the first time. If trips are separated by 2-3 months back home or some other country then likely the person is not going to be considered a border runner.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any about realised why yet.

With the downturn in Numbers from people such as Chinese touriste reportedly down by 50% the immigration are not receiving the income that they had before.

Therefore they are trying to make people pay for their Visa

I am returning to Australia soon, can I return and receive a 30 day visa on arrival, or must I visit the Thai consulate in Aust and obtain my 60 day visa?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It depends on the purpose of your trip to Thailand and the planned duration of your stay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ubon Joe

I hold a Singapore passport and entered using the 30 day ASEAN visa waiver

Does that allow me one border run at Mae Sai as I can enter Myanmar as I just need 2 weeks more instead of flying out

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've been on a non-imm B visa for the last few years as I've been teaching. However, I've recently stopped teaching and gone home for a quick visit. I'll be returning to Thailand next week, without arranging a visa. So I'll fly into Suvarhnabhumi and get a 30 day exempt entry as I'm British. Does this mean I'll then be able to get one more 30 day exemption if I go to Mae Sai (currently living in Chiang Rai), or will I have to go to the consulate in Vientiane once my original 30 days are up?

You can get one more 30 day exemption if you go to Mae Sai.

Is our Great Helmsman correct? Surely its been 15 days for several years now, hasn't it?

So the current position is: as long as you are wealthy enough to fly in and out by air, you can continue to get back to back 30 day visa exempt stamps ad nauseum.

If you exit by land you may get 1 15 day re-entry, but other than that, that means of staying in Thailand is now closed off.

You can get a maximum of a double 60 day tourist visa in an embassy/consulate in a neighbouring country, each entry of which can be extended for 30 days at immigration, giving a maximum of 6 months, but you won't get another one until 6 months have elapsed.

You can get a 12 months non imm visa based on marriage, in your own country (3 months in neighbouring countries), but really immigration would rather you get a retirement visa as they dont have to subit the paper work for retirement visas to Bangkok for approval and will put as many obstacles in your way as possible to make you go down their preferred route.

You can get a 12 month business visa if you are married to a Thai and work for her business as long as she employs 2 Thai employees who aren't family.

You can get a retirement visa if you are over 50 and can deposit 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account and leave it there or show foreign sourced income amounting to 65,000 baht per month (400,000 or 40,000 per month if you are married to a Thai).

You fly in on a 30 day visa and go to ground, avoiding officialdom and shack up with your Thai family here in paradise until you die. (I know of several people who have done that and several more who haven't yet met the Grim Reaper!!

Come on experts!!! Mario and Ubon? Have I missed any of the permutations?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've been on a non-imm B visa for the last few years as I've been teaching. However, I've recently stopped teaching and gone home for a quick visit. I'll be returning to Thailand next week, without arranging a visa. So I'll fly into Suvarhnabhumi and get a 30 day exempt entry as I'm British. Does this mean I'll then be able to get one more 30 day exemption if I go to Mae Sai (currently living in Chiang Rai), or will I have to go to the consulate in Vientiane once my original 30 days are up?

You can get one more 30 day exemption if you go to Mae Sai.

Is our Great Helmsman correct? Surely its been 15 days for several years now, hasn't it?

So the current position is: as long as you are wealthy enough to fly in and out by air, you can continue to get back to back 30 day visa exempt stamps ad nauseum.

If you exit by land you may get 1 15 day re-entry, but other than that, that means of staying in Thailand is now closed off.

You can get a maximum of a double 60 day tourist visa in an embassy/consulate in a neighbouring country, each entry of which can be extended for 30 days at immigration, giving a maximum of 6 months, but you won't get another one until 6 months have elapsed.

You can get a 12 months non imm visa based on marriage, in your own country (3 months in neighbouring countries), but really immigration would rather you get a retirement visa as they dont have to subit the paper work for retirement visas to Bangkok for approval and will put as many obstacles in your way as possible to make you go down their preferred route.

You can get a 12 month business visa if you are married to a Thai and work for her business as long as she employs 2 Thai employees who aren't family.

You can get a retirement visa if you are over 50 and can deposit 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account and leave it there or show foreign sourced income amounting to 65,000 baht per month (400,000 or 40,000 per month if you are married to a Thai).

You fly in on a 30 day visa and go to ground, avoiding officialdom and shack up with your Thai family here in paradise until you die. (I know of several people who have done that and several more who haven't yet met the Grim Reaper!!

Come on experts!!! Mario and Ubon? Have I missed any of the permutations?

George is correct, as he states he is British and Brits and the other members of the G7 countries get 30 days at a landborder.

Retirement also allows the combination of yearly income and money in the bank, if the total is 800,000.

Current yes, but even visa-exempt air entries are supposed to change come 12 August (to what precisely has not been announced yet)

Thank you both for those clarifications! As I am now on extension of stay, border runs don't affect me personally at the moment but I do get asked these questions regularly. I had never heard of the 'G7' Mario, a bit discriminatory, but as I'm from one of the nations that benefits, I suppose I mustn't grumble! But thats ONE 30 day re-entry only, right? and even that's not definite?

I'm really getting sick and tierd of this place, without us they would fall to pieces but they dont want us, If i have a problem at any time, im going and not coming back.

Without us they would fall to pieces??? Delusional.

I think they are doing a sterling job at that, all by themselves.

I'm sure this will affect a lot of genuine tourists who spend a few months travelling around the neighboring countries.

Long termers really should be on the correct visa. We wouldn't tolerate it in our own country, so why should the Thais?

• Like 1

Thank you both for those clarifications! As I am now on extension of stay, border runs don't affect me personally at the moment but I do get asked these questions regularly. I had never heard of the 'G7' Mario, a bit discriminatory, but as I'm from one of the nations that benefits, I suppose I mustn't grumble! But thats ONE 30 day re-entry only, right? and even that's not definite?

The G-7 rule is a few months old.

But currently it is not even re-entry. You get 1 visa exempt entry only and can't just make a border run and re-enter without a visa.

Immigration seems to be having a large stoppage or crackdown, not even first timers are being allowed Visas. Yesterday no problem.

OK, I am an American. Visa exempt or visa on arrival I guess. Went yesterday for a new entry with a company no-problem. the company calls me today and gives me the info and has me verify my entry. Americans get 30days at the border and have been for at least 2 months. I am a tourist currently only staying for 3 months, last month I was in Phuket did a run to Ranong 30days no-problem. The Visa-run company said everyone on the shuttle was turned away. She, the Thai agent, said she called immigration (Thai) and they confirmed that as of today the Visa on arrival runs are not happening at border crossings (Mae Sai) if anyone else has more info please detail it with the name or the border you are referring to.

If you knew you were going to be a "tourist" for 3 months why didn't you get a 90 day non-O before you arrived?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi,

i have to visarun tomorow in Maesai but i already did a visa last month so i guess im right?

I checked this website and found this article posted today evenning, so why it still allow there and not in Maesai? http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Crackdown-banning-walkin-visa-runs-begin-August/29416

What do you consider a "visa run" to be? I have crossed there in the past and got 14 days visa exempt on entry back to Thailand. Did it as a tourist and no problem cos I knew I was flying out before the 14 days expired.

From you post it would seem you want to live here without the hassle of getting a visa?

A crazy thought entered my mind,, are they preparing for some kind of civil war? Step by step closing the borders? Getting late for me tonight .. whistling.gif

Go to bed.

You can get a 12 months non imm visa based on marriage, in your own country (3 months in neighbouring countries),

Surely this is wrong. I have been granted 2 x1 year non imm marriage visas for a year each from a neighbouring country (Laos),. Has omething changed

The only clampdown that I can see is for people who can't be bothered to get a visa. Entry is easy for most tourists because it is visa exempt. Seems to me the term"visa run" means coming back visa exempt year round.

You can get a 12 months non imm visa based on marriage, in your own country (3 months in neighbouring countries),

Surely this is wrong. I have been granted 2 x1 year non imm marriage visas for a year each from a neighbouring country (Laos),. Has omething changed

Visa? Extention?

So if im correct i can FLY out of Thailand, apply for a visa in Laos for example, and then re-enter thailand. So being on overstay for 16 months wouldnt be a problem? 20000 bath and a valid ticket out of Thailand to show at the airport is ok? Why 16 months overstay u ask? Thay happens when u work for a criminal boss in the real-estate in Phuket who deducts money from your salary and gives u back your passport after letting u know that everything is ok and being taken care of (the man fled to china with 80 mil bath) and apparently he never officially employed this Falang.Amazing Thailand isn't it?

If it was me I'd have plenty of cash and well connected good "talker' to explain how I didnt notice my tourist arrival card date had passed there was no valid visa or WP.

Le tus know how you get on

FYI

Spoke to a Thai travel owner in Ban hat Krai

The ferry for Chiang Khong is now only for

Thai ID card holders

Thai resident statelss folks hereabouts mainly Hmong Refugees

Citizens of PDR Lao

Permamnenet Resident of Thailand with all papers in order

and Ive personally seen many Chinese who seem to have the right paper to "open door"

It is possible ASEAN members with a full passport may also pass will be seein an Singapore polcemen who lives near the river and who mixes with the players.

Also awaiting update on renewal of ferry to China suspended since the shootings

While that is true

I have had O married from KL ,Perth,Uk so the situation changes and you should check here and with the embassy consulate you wish to apply is my humble advice.

While the uncertainty is annoying for me its a small price for not switching my savings to a Thai bank with a currency that may depreciate and virtually zero income.

However the writing is on the wall for me and whatever we think and its effects on numbers I do not foresee visas getting easier cheaper in fac the reverse as they encourage wealthy retirees and discourage low spenders

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Why a problem? Get a visa. No visa most countries visa exempt for x number of days. Why should LOS allow peaple to stay? Try it in other countries. Probably get paid more but Immigration may be a bit more serious.

Has anyone asked them at the Chiang Mai immigration office what the policy is? Is this the best place to ask at this point so I know what to really expect?

This is all new, things are still rather fluid to say the least. Sure, call Chiang Mai immigrations (don't forget, tomorrow is a holiday) but don't expect that any answer you receive is gospel in regards policies at Mae Sai or that those polices won't change on a moment's notice.

You are right ovenman, Thai cannot stand firm with what they said. What they said while ago can be changed in a few hours

A crazy thought entered my mind,, are they preparing for some kind of civil war? Step by step closing the borders? Getting late for me tonight .. whistling.gif

drink anti-allergy pills.it will force you to sleep. Don't worry, they are not preparing civil war

RubbaJohnny

O married from KL, Perth, UK.

How many wife's have you had?

Perhaps he means he has obtained non-imm O visas from the Thai consulates in Kuala Lumpur, Perth and the UK, not that he has been married in those three locations?

Edited by inthepink

RubbaJohnny

O married from KL, Perth, UK.

How many wife's have you had?

Perhaps he means he has obtained non-imm O visas from the Thai consulates in Kuala Lumpur, Perth and the UK, not that he has been married in those three locations?

Granted. Read again and get his drift. Apology given. But not too sure if you can get a one year visa from anywhere? As far as I know best you can do without extension is 90 day exit/reentry. Have a year extention myself so 90 day reports. No problem as far as I am concerned. Would like a bit more info if a 1 year visa is avaliable?

Ubon Joe

I hold a Singapore passport and entered using the 30 day ASEAN visa waiver

Does that allow me one border run at Mae Sai as I can enter Myanmar as I just need 2 weeks more instead of flying out

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is no ASEAN visa waiver. You get it solely because you are a Singaporean and are a allowed a 30 visa exempt entry.

If you have no other border entries you should not have a problem.