Affordable High Protein Low Carb in Thailand

trublumarto

I have followed many threads here and see a lot of talk of low carb high protein and talk about varying forms of intermittent fasting, However what are you people recommending to actually eat ?

So show us your affordable meal plans for a HPLC lifestyle while living in thailand.

What about when eating out surely we can eat out while maintaining a low carb and affordable lifestyle to remain social ?

Gotta be more to it than steamed/grilled chicken and broccoli and eggs as snacks.

Thanks.

Edited by trublumarto

A low-carb diet isn't necessarily high protein, and there's no reason it has to be. That's a common myth and as such you'll find it often repeated on the forum, of course, and attacked.

Truth is, it's usually merely highER protein and always higher fat. The fat part is hardest for our traditionally brainwashed members to get their heads around. Hence they're all shopping for low fat milk, skinless chicken, and trimmed pork loin. Last time I was in the States, I could hardly get to the full-fat Greek yoghurt because of the crowd of fat ladies grabbing the non-fat or low-fat versions. Such a misconception reflects a lack of education and understanding that all calories aren't created equal. To realize that there are good calories and bad calories is a fundamental hurdle many are unable to overcome, mostly because they won't read about it or remember if they do read.

Anyway, go read this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720671-any-tips-on-losing-a-beer-gut/page-4#entry7740352

and click on the link for Dr. Westin's diet. It's short and you can print it out. Afterwards you should have no problems putting together some tasty meals. It is a bit more expensive to go low-carb, because you're filling yourself w/ meat (including the fat) and veggies rather than dirt-cheap rice. Also berries are more expensive than other fruits; however, you can get the frozen versions. In Thailand frozen strawberries are relatively cheap.

Good luck!

• Like 1

What about when eating out surely we can eat out while maintaining a low carb and affordable lifestyle to remain social ?

You can easily order meat & veggie dishes w/o rice in Thailand. Or if comes w/ rice, you can just eat a spoon or two. Avoiding sugar is also an issue to be aware of, as a lot of dishes are sweetened. If you know in advance, you can request *mai wan, "not sweet."

As Jsixpack said, it should be a moderate protein, low carb, high fat diet.

Have moderate sized meals, and use butter, olive oil, and coconut oil to supplement the fat in them. Quite easily done, but like J said, you have to get your mind around it.

Too much protein, by the way, will interfere with getting keto.

I agree with the above. Low carb is good but not extremely low. High fat is suggested and healthy as well and protein should be high only if building muscle is the goal. Otherwise it should be moderate.

However it's necessary to mention the importance of muscle confusion if mass if what you are after. When I go to gym, I like to take a 45 plate and write 25 on it in order to confuse the muscle. It works wonders.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A low-carb diet isn't necessarily high protein, and there's no reason it has to be. That's a common myth and as such you'll find it often repeated on the forum, of course, and attacked.

Truth is, it's usually merely highER protein and always higher fat. The fat part is hardest for our traditionally brainwashed members to get their heads around. Hence they're all shopping for low fat milk, skinless chicken, and trimmed pork loin. Last time I was in the States, I could hardly get to the full-fat Greek yoghurt because of the crowd of fat ladies grabbing the non-fat or low-fat versions. Such a misconception reflects a lack of education and understanding that all calories aren't created equal. To realize that there are good calories and bad calories is a fundamental hurdle many are unable to overcome, mostly because they won't read about it or remember if they do read.

Anyway, go read this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/720671-any-tips-on-losing-a-beer-gut/page-4#entry7740352

and click on the link for Dr. Westin's diet. It's short and you can print it out. Afterwards you should have no problems putting together some tasty meals. It is a bit more expensive to go low-carb, because you're filling yourself w/ meat (including the fat) and veggies rather than dirt-cheap rice. Also berries are more expensive than other fruits; however, you can get the frozen versions. In Thailand frozen strawberries are relatively cheap.

Good luck!

Well if you want to loose fat rapid, the best thing is first to go on low (or no or whatever) carb diet, with high fat and high protein, and than reduce the fat slowly.

Of course the calories you take in will reduce themself as you can't eat that much protein. If you just eat no fat yoghurt, low fat meat, some eggs, salads, protein drinks and as low carbs as possible, you aren't hungry and you automatically start to skip meals, or just eat two spoons full, because the body rejects any more pork.

You should drink lots of water.

Rather extreme but the kg are melting away extremely fast.

If you just eat no fat yoghurt, low fat meat, some eggs, salads, protein drinks and as low carbs as possible, you aren't hungry and you automatically start to skip meals, or just eat two spoons full, because the body rejects any more pork.

Full fat but unsweetened Greek yoghurt (or add Stevia for artificial sweetener; throw in some blueberries maybe). And leave the fat on the meat. Two great perks of the low-carb diet and make it much easier to maintain than the traditional outdated starve&sweat.

Edited by JSixpack

• 2 weeks later...

If you just eat no fat yoghurt, low fat meat, some eggs, salads, protein drinks and as low carbs as possible, you aren't hungry and you automatically start to skip meals, or just eat two spoons full, because the body rejects any more pork.

Full fat but unsweetened Greek yoghurt (or add Stevia for artificial sweetener; throw in some blueberries maybe). And leave the fat on the meat. Two great perks of the low-carb diet and make it much easier to maintain than the traditional outdated starve&sweat.

Blueberries.. one would say that fruits and veggies (I eat them) would be high in carbs (sugars).

Blueberries.. one would say that fruits and veggies (I eat them) would be high in carbs (sugars).

yes JSixpack is twisting the facts a bit, till the fit his views...nothing new.

• 5 months later...

If anyone is looking for some Atkins products I have a bunch for sale. I'm moving soon..

Hey there.

Are you still in the market for Atkins products? I have a bunch i just imported and have a bunch extra. Plus I'll be travelling soon for 6 months!

All have expiry dates July-september of 2015. I literally just got these in this week. If you're interested, let me know. I will likely be posting these on craigslist too..

You can have them for the same price I paid for them. I would be happy to ship them to you or bring them if you bought enough to make it worth the trip.

Here are some photos.

This is the stock that I have left.

6 boxes of the caramel chocolate nougat bar (230 baht /box).

11 boxes of the Caramel nut chew bar (195 baht/box).

4 of the Caramel Chocolate Nut rolls, (230 baht/box).

2 chocolate peanut candies (195 baht/box).

1 chocolate granola bar (295 baht for box),

3 chocolate candies (M&M's) (195 baht),

3 Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars (295/box)

chocolate peanut butter bar (SOLD),

one chocolate coconut bar (195 baht).

1 Chocolate Hazelnut Bar (215 baht)

1 Blueberry Greek Yogurt Bar (295 baht)

1 Peanut Caramel Cluster Bar (200 baht)

1 Dark Chocolate Decadence Bar (230 baht)

All unopened. Each box contains 5 bars or packs of candy.

PM Me if you're interested.

Thanks

• 2 years later...