Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

I sometimes wonder if Thailand wants visitors visiting the Kingdom if those who do these runs every month are given a hard time they will take their money and spend it somewhere else which in return will have an adverse effect on Thailand . I was under the impression that a single type visa was / would be available for Asian countries or have I been misguided. One rule that needs to be changed is that those people on extension of stay visas ( retirement ) should all be treated the same way why should a falang married to a Thai get away with only having to have 40,000 per month whereas a Falang married to a Falang has to have 65,000 every month !!!

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as asked before: are people who "stranded" in myanmar allowed to get to an embassy (supposedly in myanmar/rangoon) without having a myanmar visa ? or do they get issued (temporary) voa in tachileik/kawthoung/wherever they are stranded? not allowing people back in in thailand is one thing, people illegally in burma is another thing....

ps. flying from tachileik to yangon is not cheap (130$) and travelling overland will not be permitted.

I have seen nothing to confirm anybody is stranded in Myanmar. They stopped people from crossing when the border opened this morning.

They have given 7 day entries to people that were over the old 4 entry rule at Mae Sai.

thanks. in another post however there was mentioned that people were "stuck" in kawthoung NOT being stamped in again in ranong.

as asked before: are people who "stranded" in myanmar allowed to get to an embassy (supposedly in myanmar/rangoon) without having a myanmar visa ? or do they get issued (temporary) voa in tachileik/kawthoung/wherever they are stranded? not allowing people back in in thailand is one thing, people illegally in burma is another thing....

ps. flying from tachileik to yangon is not cheap (130$) and travelling overland will not be permitted.

I have seen nothing to confirm anybody is stranded in Myanmar. They stopped people from crossing when the border opened this morning.

They have given 7 day entries to people that were over the old 4 entry rule at Mae Sai.

thanks. in another post however there was mentioned that people were "stuck" in kawthoung NOT being stamped in again in ranong.

That is not today. I am not even sure that was ever confirmed.

I sometimes wonder if Thailand wants visitors visiting the Kingdom if those who do these runs every month are given a hard time they will take their money and spend it somewhere else which in return will have an adverse effect on Thailand . I was under the impression that a single type visa was / would be available for Asian countries or have I been misguided. One rule that needs to be changed is that those people on extension of stay visas ( retirement ) should all be treated the same way why should a falang married to a Thai get away with only having to have 40,000 per month whereas a Falang married to a Falang has to have 65,000 every month !!!

Thais can live a lot cheaper.... Farangs want to live at the same standard as they do at home...

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Phew! Close one for me. I was planning on doing my first run of this kind today across the Chiang Rai border as my Tourist Visa was due to expire today. Thankfully, I decided to extend in Thailand for another 30 days instead before the long holiday weekend kicked in. I feel bad for those stranded on the other side of the border who may not have enough cash to take them to the nearest embassy and get the visa now required.

Why couldn't this be mentioned earlier?

'' I feel bad for those stranded on the other side of the border who may not have enough cash to take them to the nearest embassy and get the visa now required''

That's exactly the point. If someone doesn't have the money to make a short trip to the Embassy then how can they support themselves in Thailand..?? Obviously working illegally.

These are exactly the kind of people the authorities want to keep out.

• Like 1

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

That is possible, would be sad as most of those guys are actually good spenders. I could think of a solution for them.

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 1

Phew! Close one for me. I was planning on doing my first run of this kind today across the Chiang Rai border as my Tourist Visa was due to expire today. Thankfully, I decided to extend in Thailand for another 30 days instead before the long holiday weekend kicked in. I feel bad for those stranded on the other side of the border who may not have enough cash to take them to the nearest embassy and get the visa now required.

Why couldn't this be mentioned earlier?

How do these people survive on "holiday" as a tourist if they can't afford the price of a visa to get back in to Thailand. I would humbly suggest this is the very reason that the authorities are doing what they are doing.

• Like 1

I think this measure is aimed at the "poor" foreigners as I called Immigration this week after the announcement in regards to Ranong who said that flying in and out is fine but obviously more expensive and presumably the Thai government makes money on tax (which often is not explained by airlines well as there are so many charges, security charge, Passenger fee etc) including in the ticket. Glad I am on my last Visa Run. Next month I am getting a Non-O for 2000Baht giving me 1 year and I only have to go to Immigration about 10kms away every ninety days and no fee. Hopefully my last ever Visa Run now I am 50 years old.

Edited by FiestyFarang

So...come August Thailand can kiss goodbye to all the oil and gas and mining lads who fly in and out on month on, month off rosters?

I don't think so. It will probably mean just a check to see if they just flew out the same day they returned.

It is to early to even speculate what those changes will be.

Ridiculous and unworkable. So if in Phuket I cannot then do a day trip to Singapore for banking or shopping?

Well, now the visa system is so complex that no one understands it. Not even the Thais.

What happens if you are a genuine tourist flying around using VOAs (Visa exemptions on arrival) and you pop over to Indo to surf a bit and then come back to Thailand and then pop over again.

It is all degenerating into the ridiculous...

Not ridiculous in the least.

For your example they would simply get a double or triple entry Tourist Visa. As they will be a tourist making two or three entries to Thailand.

The Visa Exemption is a great way Thais allow tourists to fly in, stay in Thailand for up to 30 days, then leave without needing to get a visa at all. A brilliantly effect system really, for what must be almost 99% of foreign tourists.

For those traveling around the region, simply get a double/triple entry Tourist Visa. :)

Fail to see anything anyway ridiculous about any of it. huh.png

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 2

That is possible, would be sad as most of those guys are actually good spenders. I could think of a solution for them.

Retirement visa age is also supposed to be increased to 55. That will make things even worse!

Spend their free time and money in Cambodia? Is that your solution? Changed to 55 sounds like rumor mongering.

Edited by rucus7
  • Like 1

Walen School can help you with your ED visas if you need help. Very reliable service and fair price for the quality of work we do. We have 11 branches in Thailand so there is one probably near where you live. You can also PM me.

Now here's a man who's going to do very well out of it! :D

Good on ya Mac! thumbsup.gif

Is this also effective at the airports? Or only land crossings?

I called Immigration earlier this week and air was fine. However this is a second rule and being a Saturday no one can check with Immigration. I think the rule is aimed at "poor" foreigners people that fly also presumably pay some tax to the Thai government although many airlines make it hard to see where the money goes under taxes, security charge, Passenger fee etc.

• Like 1

Hopefully this crackdown will be like many others, short lived. A lot of people legitimately working, studying, living, or touring here, do border runs occasionally between visas. They should be able to differentiate between someone doing it a few times, and someone doing it for 5 years.

If they legitimately working, studying, living here. Then they should have a proper visa for it also

• Like 1